Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Mightaswell posted:

You guys are loving dorks, sports photography is THE use case for shutter priority mode. You don't need an SI photographer to tell you that. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

I've never understood the attraction to shutter priority for sports, never felt a need to use it. If I found myself shooting sports in mixed light, it was almost always outside during the day time, which meant that Av stands virtually zero risk of returning a "too slow" shutter speed, and gives better return than the risk of Tv, which is winding up with dark images or poor background seperation. Maybe something magical has happened in the years since I've done sports work, but I only ever used Tv for panning.

The point is that it's a matter of preference, no matter if you're a PUBLISHED WIRE PHOTOGRAPHER or just a dad shooting kid's soccer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

TsarAleksi posted:

The point is that it's a matter of preference, no matter if you're a PUBLISHED WIRE PHOTOGRAPHER or just a dad shooting kid's soccer.

This.

In all honesty, if you are competent and you know your camera well, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference what bloody mode you use.

So don't take a pissy attitude if someone else prefers a different method. It's just as valid as your choice.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

i like camera

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

Has anyone tried... Exposting To The Left?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwViQxSJJQ

Ok also I made the idiot shut up so if everyone else could too (regarding said idiot and his ballin sports cards which I totally care about because I am a literal child) that would be super great.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

megalodong posted:

i like camera

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

megalodong posted:

i like camera

This is the greatest post this thread has ever seen

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SoundMonkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EwViQxSJJQ

Ok also I made the idiot shut up so if everyone else could too (regarding said idiot and his ballin sports cards which I totally care about because I am a literal child) that would be super great.

Before the crapstorm hit, I think someone asked about metering modes:

I don't think I have ever managed to get Evaluative/Matrix/Whatever to expose the way I want to. It seems to take great delight in picking that one 4x4 pixel area of bright sky and saying 'yup, that's it - better close everything down'

I find centre weighted remarkably reliable, with spot/4% getting pulled out of the bag in weird situations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Mightaswell posted:

You guys are loving dorks, sports photography is THE use case for shutter priority mode. You don't need an SI photographer to tell you that. Are you being obtuse on purpose?

Also I got chased out of here when I asked about ETTR as well. The short answer is, ETTR is cool and a Real Thing, but only in certain circumstances. At or near base ISO, in scenes that won't blow your highlights, it can be worth it. However upping your ISO just to move your image to the right of your histogram gives you rapidly diminishing returns, especially on Nikon/Sony sensors. Also fiddling with ETTR can cause you to miss the shot so I usually don't bother.

I saw a tutorial on getting the milky way to show up in light polluted skies that suggested the use of ETTR + heavy post processing (including a separate foreground exposure) in order to get results. No idea how necessary the ETTR was but it seemed like a reasonable thing to do.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

megalodong posted:

i like camera

wow no way me too

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

MrBlandAverage posted:

wow no way me too

hosed up if true

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Dren posted:

I saw a tutorial on getting the milky way to show up in light polluted skies that suggested the use of ETTR + heavy post processing (including a separate foreground exposure) in order to get results. No idea how necessary the ETTR was but it seemed like a reasonable thing to do.

It really depends on the sensor and the light situation. There are times I will find myself using ettr but it's rather minimal these days. The xtrans sensor doesn't really need it in jpg mode if you understand how the highlights and shadow adjustment settings work. I guess if I shot raf files I would use ettr a bit more when shooting into the sun, but I shoot jpg. Like. A. Scrub :toot:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

hosed up if true

This but unironically.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Weird rear end question: I want to have a small, adjustable focal length/FOV viewfinder, so that I could test the composition of the scene with different "lenses" before I commit to taking out my big rear end camera - does such thing exist? Maybe as an iPhone app or something?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://www.erikfiss.com/foto/cams/turretfinder/e.html

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Putrid Grin posted:

Weird rear end question: I want to have a small, adjustable focal length/FOV viewfinder, so that I could test the composition of the scene with different "lenses" before I commit to taking out my big rear end camera - does such thing exist? Maybe as an iPhone app or something?

I know there's this for iOS - it looks pretty great but I'm sure there are cheaper options: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mark-ii-artists-viewfinder/id711280537?mt=8

I use this on Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jfdupuis.photography.viewfinder

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Putrid Grin posted:

https://www.alangordon.com/sales/our-products/pocket-mini

It covers from 18-200mm.

I have the KMZ turret viewfinder. It covers roughly 28-85mm if I remember right. It's not bad for the price, though prices on Russian optics have risen to the point where you might as well get a non-Russian equivalent.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is a camera without a serial a bad idea? I have the chance to get an x100s for super cheap but it doesn't have an SN. I've read that sometimes manufacturers take them off for warranty work, but also won't do repairs on cameras without SNs.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

red19fire posted:

Is a camera without a serial a bad idea? I have the chance to get an x100s for super cheap but it doesn't have an SN. I've read that sometimes manufacturers take them off for warranty work, but also won't do repairs on cameras without SNs.

Maybe someone knows better, but when I was getting my original X100 repaired for the sticky aperture issue years ago, one of the first things they asked when I was on the phone with them was the serial number. It sounded like they wouldn't touch the camera if it wasn't from North America, so I doubt they would do work on it if you couldn't tell them a serial number at all.

Besides, super cheap + no serial number sounds like stolen poo poo anyway.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That sounds like it didn't even fall off a truck, more like straight up theft and resold. In short, do not loving buy that unless they have rock solid, admissible in court, proof the sticker just fell off.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Best case scenario is a grey market camera

Don't buy it

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Since there is no print thread, I will ask this here and hope someone can help me out because I am lost. So I have access to an HP Designjet Z3200 and an Epson Stylus Pro 4880. How do I not make my prints look like butt? Last I had access to the HP, I was using Epson Ultimate Presentation Matte paper, and while the paper itself was low quality, the prints that came out were close if not exactly how it looks on my screen. This is mostly due to the fact that someone had created an ICC profile for the paper that I used that looks really good. Now I am using Epson Velvet Fine Art paper and while this is supposed to be a better paper, my prints just look awful on the HP. The Hp has the ability to create a ICC profile for my paper, which I did, but it just looks bad. This sucks because this paper is pretty drat expensive and I hate to be just wasting it like this. The image I am working on is this one:

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

on the printed image, my blacks are nowhere near as deep, in fact it almost looks like the blacks were somehow overexposed and the white trailer is more of yellow-white than straight white. The shadows on the back of the trailer are also completely lost and the color there is very rough. I haven't had a chance to sit down with the 4880 yet. Does anyone know if I need to create another ICC profile with this printer? There are some ICC profiles that come with the printer driver for the Velvet Fine Art Paper and I am hoping when I go into the lab tonight that I can just use the ICC profile and the drat thing will look magical. Anyone well versed in making their own prints? What do you recommend? If I let photoshop manage my colors under the print menu and my ICC profile matches my paper than I should theoretically be all good right?

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 31, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Make sure your monitor is calibrated, too. Black point is something you'll need to set for each print individually, profiling really won't help you out.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

Make sure your monitor is calibrated, too. Black point is something you'll need to set for each print individually, profiling really won't help you out.

Monitor was calibrated about 6 months ago, any reason I would need to do it again? So treat me like I am ignorant (because I am) as I am very used to darkroom printing and I am very used to editing for black and white and not really for color. So how do I go about setting my black point? Is this something I would do in the print menu or is this an overall edit I would make in curves/levels in photoshop? I also assume that this means I will end up with two edits, one for web and one for print? Is there anyway to edit based off what it will look like when printed? Sorry for what I am sure are dumb questions, just a complete novice when it comes to color printing.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Well, my monitor calibration tool reminds me every 30 days to recalibrate, so that might be a start I guess.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Spedman posted:

Well, my monitor calibration tool reminds me every 30 days to recalibrate, so that might be a start I guess.

I did it monthly when I had a CFL-backlit screen, when I got something with an LED backlight, I started doing it every like 3 or 4 months, then not at all, because it pretty much never actually changed anything after the first calibration. Maybe once a year if I can find my calibration thing.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

I did it monthly when I had a CFL-backlit screen, when I got something with an LED backlight, I started doing it every like 3 or 4 months, then not at all, because it pretty much never actually changed anything after the first calibration. Maybe once a year if I can find my calibration thing.

Yeah same for me too, I use to do it monthly, then quarterly, now I only do the calibration before a major project, which is like once or twice a year.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

I do it once, at the beginning of wedding season every year.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
So I looked up how to set my black and white points and I then used the paper in the Epson printer and holy poo poo. These are the most gorgeous and vivid prints I have ever seen. My blacks are deep and velvety and my colors are popping off the page. I don't know, maybe it was that HP printer and the profile it had installed but it is a night and day difference between the two. Just happy to be able to get the quality I was initially after.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
Where are you setting black points? In the printer software somewhere?

I recently got more ink for my Canon printer and am not that happy with the results - any links on where to start with better printing technique? My monitor is calibrated and the while the colours on the prints seem to be fairly accurate the shadow detail looks like poo poo.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Does anyone have Canon Professional Services Gold or Platinum? How are they with their equipment evaluation loans? If I'm able to give them the at least 2 week lead time, is it pretty consistent to expect something within a few days? I'd like to evaluate stuff when I actually have shoots planned, like weddings. Also, do they get mad if you request stuff often?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

dakana posted:

Does anyone have Canon Professional Services Gold or Platinum? How are they with their equipment evaluation loans? If I'm able to give them the at least 2 week lead time, is it pretty consistent to expect something within a few days? I'd like to evaluate stuff when I actually have shoots planned, like weddings. Also, do they get mad if you request stuff often?

You basically get put next in line to when that particular piece of equipment is available. You don't get to pick, and it won't be in a couple days. In your email to them, it wouldn't hurt to tell them exactly when you need it though, maybe they will make it happen. Also be specific which generation of the equipment you want (Mark 2, etc) or you may end up with an older generation eval.

They don't get mad, but you are only supposed to use the service twice a year. I've done it 3 times before and they didn't care.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Pukestain Pal posted:

You basically get put next in line to when that particular piece of equipment is available. You don't get to pick, and it won't be in a couple days. In your email to them, it wouldn't hurt to tell them exactly when you need it though, maybe they will make it happen. Also be specific which generation of the equipment you want (Mark 2, etc) or you may end up with an older generation eval.

They don't get mad, but you are only supposed to use the service twice a year. I've done it 3 times before and they didn't care.

Oh, where'd you see the twice a year thing? Just looked through the terms and conditions and didn't see anything about that. Maybe it's changed? Or is it an unspoken rule?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So I thought hdr seemed pretty cool, watched a video tutorial, downloaded the suggested application, and was hoping to try it out soon. Then I saw a hdr photo posted in the landscape thread and it got poo poo on. Do good photos come from hdr or they all horribly over processed crap like what you see on 500px?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
On the broad plains of the Intarwub, 99.99999% of HDR is radioactive garbage, which is why we dump on it. Done *right*, it's a useful technique. The problem is, very few people are able to resist the urge to slam those sliders to the wall.

Take whatever value you were going to dial in and divide by 10. Feel like slamming it to 100? Try adding just +10 and see what happens.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

If you can tell it's HDR, then they hosed it up.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
HDR is a useful technique. When done sparingly, you won't even know it.

for example, this is garbage:

don't make your photos look like that and you're already doing better than most people.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
The problem, though, is that the unwashed masses (i.e.: non photographers) think that HDR photography is awesome and looks good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ZippySLC posted:

The problem, though, is that the unwashed masses (i.e.: non photographers) think that HDR photography is awesome and looks good.

When you hate on HDR you're hating on DEMOCRACY.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ZippySLC posted:

Everything on 500px front page is so ugly, but so loved. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Do you want to have popularity, or do you want to have your artistic integrity? (joke's on you, you'll have neither)