Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
:coffeepal: Welcome to the TG September chat thread!

The chat thread is:
  1. A place for Trad Games-related talk that would derail another thread otherwise
  2. A place for lurkers/new users to post if they have a question and aren't sure where it goes
  3. A place to ask where the thread for X is, or if you should post a thread about X (:justpost:)

Last month was here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just to repost my question because it was two posts before August Thread closed: Any impressions people have on One Last Job?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How many of you can I bribe to attend Gen-Con 2015?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Okay I admit it. Im the lurker. I lurk in the shadows and watch conversations.

Its was me all along. I was the lurker.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Ah, simple and elegant. Just the way to start a new thread.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd like to go to GenCon 2015. Assuming I can get a room. And plane tickets. And probably a car rental.

And friends to go with. :(

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Gencon is less than a year away. :allears:

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I have friends that go every year and apparently it's great.

Be prepared for a whole mess of fat guys though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, I've been there before back in...'09, I think it was? I was just pretty much on my own the whole time and didn't do much because I didn't know what there was to do (and this was long before Games On Demand was really a thing).

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Reposting from last thread, cause i'm still interested in responses:

Asymmetrikon posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've a question for you all: what are your dream features for a virtual tabletop program (like MapTool or Roll20)? What would make your life easier as a DM or player? If you were to have a scriptable, moddable VTT, what would you want to be able to mess around with?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd like to go to GenCon 2015. Assuming I can get a room. And plane tickets. And probably a car rental.

I wouldn't need a plane ticket (it's only one state away from here after all), but there's no way in hell I could afford to go considering I'm up to my eyeballs in bills. Well unless somebody is crazy enough to give me like four grand to pay off my dentists.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I have been invited to take part in a campaign set in "Zakhara", part of the Forgotten Realms that is apparently "Arabian" themed. So. On a scale of one to the republican party, exactly how racist should I expect this game to be?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Asymmetrikon posted:

Right, personally ease of use would be number one for me, if I have to spend more than five minutes on program prep in addition to session prep I'll just call the whole thing off.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asymmetrikon posted:

Robust and flexible support for card mechanics.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Judgement posted:

I have been invited to take part in a campaign set in "Zakhara", part of the Forgotten Realms that is apparently "Arabian" themed. So. On a scale of one to the republican party, exactly how racist should I expect this game to be?

Zakhara is based on Arabian Adventures/Al-Qadim. I haven't looked at it recently, but from what I remember it was surprisingly and pleasantly respectful to the subject matter. It had a very heavy 1001 Nights and Persian influence, despite the name. So the source material, while not perfect, isn't terrible.

How your average group of nerds handles it, though...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Mastermind posted:

We are your friends, Evil Mastermind. Every one of us. Also be a badass and take a cheaper mode of transportation like I did. Not that I really recommend being on a train for nearly 24 hours normally.

Froghammer posted:

I have friends that go every year and apparently it's great.

Be prepared for a whole mess of fat guys though.
There are many fat men. But it is so great that no number of fat guys could possibly impact your good time. In fact ... some of the fat guys help make it a better time

ritorix posted:

Gencon is less than a year away. :allears:
This year I booked my emergency hotel room for next year BEFORE GEN-CON EVEN STARTED :hellyeah: though I am still scared that it being in July will somehow totally mess with attendance. Or it will double, who knows

Kwyndig posted:

I wouldn't need a plane ticket (it's only one state away from here after all), but there's no way in hell I could afford to go considering I'm up to my eyeballs in bills. Well unless somebody is crazy enough to give me like four grand to pay off my dentists.
Done

You will find 1980s RPGs worth the sum of $4,000 behind the shed

(which is to say, 2,500 RPGs)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Judgement posted:

It's actually not that bad. The 2nd edition Lands of Fate boxed set is a fun read. It's pretty clearly mythic Arabia with everything that you might think that entails but it was also produced at the height of what grogs call the 'political correctness run amok' era of TSR and so it's noteworthy for everybody in Zakhara being significantly less racist and sexist than the core forgotten realms setting (except for against yak men because gently caress yak men -- every campaign setting needs at least one designated 'always evil' group to murder). It's well-researched for a D&D supplement; somebody clearly spent some time in the library trying to get things right which was a nice change of pace from things like Spelljammer or Ravenloft.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Judgement posted:

It's actually pretty ok. It's of course typical western fantasy take on Arabian fantasy, but I can't really think of anything racist or the like in it, just dumb things.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Okay, I am becoming slightly less worried about what I might be getting myself into. I only wish I had more familiarity with any potential source material so I had any idea what to play in such a setting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Judgement posted:

Okay, I am becoming slightly less worried about what I might be getting myself into. I only wish I had more familiarity with any potential source material so I had any idea what to play in such a setting.

There's no Al-Qadim material up on D&D Classics so I can't link you to anything; but I can recommend just leaving everything you think you know about the FR behind. By and large, the "exotic" settings have little in common with the usual Realms and are best approached on their own merits.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Arivia posted:

There's no Al-Qadim material up on D&D Classics so I can't link you to anything; but I can recommend just leaving everything you think you know about the FR behind. By and large, the "exotic" settings have little in common with the usual Realms and are best approached on their own merits.

Yeah there is: http://www.dndclassics.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_44715&term=al-qadim

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I guess I probably count as a lurker, I only really post every couple of weeks, if that.

And I'd really like to go to GenCon next year, but I don't know if I'll be in a position where I can. Also all of my friends usually start school around when it happens so I don't know if I'd be able to go with anyone, and kind of don't want to go alone.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weird NONE of that showed up. Get the box set, Judgement.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Loki_XLII posted:

I guess I probably count as a lurker, I only really post every couple of weeks, if that.

And I'd really like to go to GenCon next year, but I don't know if I'll be in a position where I can. Also all of my friends usually start school around when it happens so I don't know if I'd be able to go with anyone, and kind of don't want to go alone.
July 30, 2015 :smug: Your year to go has arrived.

Though Goons (at least con-going-Goons) are seemingly cool and welcoming and helpful without fail; even if your friends randomly start school in July you could probably find somebody to crash with who you would have fun hanging out with. Well, unless you only play the Bella Sera card game.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

NorgLyle posted:

(except for against yak men because gently caress yak men -- every campaign setting needs at least one designated 'always evil' group to murder)
To be fair the yakfolk were complete dicks

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Judgement posted:

I remember reading it and thinking it was a lot better than I expected, and rather liked it. From what I recall, it's no better or worse than something like Legend of the Five Rings, really.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Just to repost my question because it was two posts before August Thread closed: Any impressions people have on One Last Job?

I have run One Last Job within the last few months. It's a great system to run a one shot in and I'm keeping it in my stack because it's great system for times where I need something for a group to play but I haven't done any prep work at all. It seems to lend itself more towards the silly rather then serious. You introduce the boss and the first character, someone picks it and describes the second and so forth. Lots of insults flying back and forth. And while the players are discribing the characters they are also laying out the heist for you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Thomamelas posted:

I have run One Last Job within the last few months. It's a great system to run a one shot in and I'm keeping it in my stack because it's great system for times where I need something for a group to play but I haven't done any prep work at all. It seems to lend itself more towards the silly rather then serious. You introduce the boss and the first character, someone picks it and describes the second and so forth. Lots of insults flying back and forth. And while the players are discribing the characters they are also laying out the heist for you.

Cool, I picked it up after listening to One Shot Podcast play it, and I was a bit curious if it naturally bent a bit less serious or if it was just falling prey to the tendency of One Shot to be goofy as hell.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

Cool, I picked it up after listening to One Shot Podcast play it, and I was a bit curious if it naturally bent a bit less serious or if it was just falling prey to the tendency of One Shot to be goofy as hell.

It was less silly then the One Shot game, but it still lends itself more toward silly then serious depending on your group. But if you get enough player buy in you could run Heat with it. I did a Western with it and setting it up for that was a few minutes work. BTW, Pinkertons are great if you just need a quick villain that's super easy to hate.

One of my players did a write up:

quote:

What's interesting about it is that you explicitly don't make your own character. The DM comes up with the job and then sets up a short scene between a DM character, the dude who is hiring the players, and the leader of the player group, who the DM also comes up with and describes and one player (player 1) volunteers to play. Then that character goes off to get the old gang back together, and player 1 describes their character going off to recruit the next member of the team and what that person is like, and someone (player 2) volunteers to play that character. And then player 2's dude goes off to recruit the third character. And so on, and so forth.

The game comes with options to flavor it for different settings and of course we did a Western setting. Our job tonight was to stop an evil railroad company that was trying to chase off the residents of an entire Western town because it believed there was a seam of gold running right under Main Street. The company had hired Pinkerton goons to beat and harass the townsfolk and bribed the corrupt new sheriff, Dalton, to look the other way.

The game began when the town's previous sheriff, a good but elderly man, hired desc as legendary gunfighter Lefty McGee, who has tried to renounce violence and become a (very bad) farmer. Lefty brought in Dread Pirate Arbuthnot as his old teammate Annie Carson, a buxom, fast-talking saloon girl and grifter. She recruited me as Ramsey, an uncomplicated, bearded giant of a bare-knuckle prizefighter, and Ramsey tracked down Elldren as China Lin, an expert thief, pickpocket, and safecracker.

Annie sweet-talked the sleazy new sheriff out of his office so China Lin could sneak inside and crack the safe. Lin found several incriminating documents proving that he was taking bribes from the railroad, as well as $15,000 in gold bars, which she promptly made off with and never told the rest of the team about. (Elldren played her in the manner of Asians in old movies: never getting a line.)

Meanwhile, Lefty and Ramsey went to the saloon and tried to get recruited by the Pinkertons. The Pinkertons were playing a drinking game where you take a row of increasingly large shot glasses, tumblers, and mugs, drink the contents, then toss the glass over your shoulder and try to spin around and shoot it. They invited the old gunfighter to join them, only loaded up all his glasses with whiskey (they were drinking beer). Desc rolled to make his shot, and whiffed it -

- but this game has a mechanic where, when you fail a roll, the other players can try to help you by describing how you have a piece of handy equipment that gets you out of this jam, or how there is a legend about your prowess that is relevant to the task at hand, or by describing a "scar," some past physical or emotional trauma that motivates you to succeed against the odds here and now. We did a scar, and decided that Lefty McGee was once known as Righty McGee, before suffering a crippling wound to his shooting hand, and had to painstakingly train himself back up to expertise with his off-hand.

Lefty effortlessly hits every single shot like lightning, and walks away with the Pinkerton goons' respect. They tell him they can't hire directly but he should wire Head Office to apply.

Annie, meanwhile, learns from the sheriff that the Pinkertons are waiting on a big delivery of payment to start the next stage of their operation and really kick the harassment into high gear. Meeting back up after their respective jobs, the team decides they have to hijack the pay train and convince the Pinkertons that their job has been cancelled.

Lefty, Ramsey, and China ride across the plains to the train, and with a mighty effort haul themselves off their steaming horses onto the caboose. Lefty and Ramsey head inside while Lin clambers atop the train, bound for the armored car at the center. A conductor tries to bumrush the two men but Ramsey holds him at bay with one immense arm, then sits him in a chair and takes his conductor's hat. Making their way through the passenger cars with bandanas over their faces, the two men come to the armored car and its guards, who are slow to react; Lefty shoots the guns out of their hand. Ramsey pries the door open just in time to find China inside already, hog-tying the last guard, having dropped in from the skylight above. Our three heroes leave the guards in the caboose with a bottle of whiskey and detach it from the rest of the train, then jump off with the money, heading overland to where they had stashed a trio of fresh horses with which to make their way back into town.

Annie, meanwhile, heads to the telegraph operator's office. This whole plan won't work if the Pinkertons and their head office can communicate freely, after all. She tries to wheedle the operator out of his office with a bit of sweet talk -

- and fails.

Another rule of the game, much like the one we used for Lefty earlier, is that, one time, you can give a character a piece of equipment that can help them with their roll. We decided that Annie was wearing her most expensive whalebone corset and really coming on strong to this guy (who I picture looking like John Fiedler). She rolls again -

- and fails.

We decide to help her out again and give her a scar. Annie Carson has a husband and child she left behind in the big city to come out here and try to make her fortune. She will let nothing and nobody stand in the way of that. Six subsequent husbands that she married and cleaned out will attest to that.

There is an option to take a hit to the character's Stamina in exchange for the GM losing his highest-rolling dice, so we opt for that one. Annie succeeds at last in seducing this incredibly stubborn rear end in a top hat telegraph operator, but he negs her in the process. It's the 1880s, so he probably tells her she could stand to gain fifteen pounds.

With the operator out of the telegraph office, Lefty is free to sneak in and forge a telegram informing the Pinkertons that their job has been cancelled and they've been recalled home. He and Ramsey walk to the saloon to give them the bad news. "Gosh, guys, we were telegraphing the head office just like you said, and wouldn't you know, this was coming in addressed to you, and I told that courier that there's no need to deliver it himself, I was headed this way anyway..."

Desc makes the roll, and fails.

But this time we opt to describe the legend of Lefty McGee's uprightness and honesty. After the last job with this crew went bad, it would've been easy for him to skedaddle, but he stuck around and faced the music (whatever it was - there is always, in this game, a "last job that went bad," and the details get filled in as you go), and the townsfolk respect him for that. Seeing how everyone trusts Lefty implictly, the Pinkertons are shaken, and take the telegram, preparing to return to Washington and demand an explanation from their bosses.

(To keep them from just wiring back "WTF," Ramsey rabbit-punches the telegraph operator and leaves him in a convenient alley with a jug marked XXX.)

The Pinkertons are gone. The team has their money. The last obstacle is the corrupt Sheriff Dalton. Annie goes around town, spreading word that there is to be a meeting at the saloon at 7, and everyone gets their first two shots free. She tells the Sheriff to come visit at 7:15.

With the townsfolk gathered, Annie presents the incriminating documents that Lin stole from the sheriff's safe and rouses them with her oratory. It nearly doesn't work, but Cass decides to take another hit of Stamina damage. That whalebone corset looks great but it's pretty hard to orate in. Lefty and Lin work the crowd: "Yeah! She's right! Someone oughtta do something about that jerk!"

Sheriff Dalton storms through the swinging saloon doors, red-faced and furious with the realization that the documents and gold are missing from his safe, only to find dozens of furious gazes confronting him. He pulls out his gun and fires a single shot upward. "I am the law here!" he cries.

Then Ramsey steps forward and tries to wrestle the gun away. This is his specialty and Thom rolled a 4 and a 5 on two ten-sided dice. All I needed to do here was roll higher than a 5 on any one of three ten-sided dice.

I rolled 4, 4, 1.

The guys gave me a reroll by recounting the legend of the time some losing boxer shot Ramsey in the street and it didn't even slow the big guy down. That got rid of one of Thom's winning dice. I got rid of one of the others by taking a point of damage. The Sheriff's gun goes off again, winging Ramsey, but the big man throws the revolver to the ground contemptuously.

China Lin fakes a fainting spell at the sight of blood and the crowd, already hostile, turns enraged. Sheriff Dalton is quite literally run out of town.

A few months later, Annie Carson marries the telegraph operator, then takes him for everything he has and leaves the territory. So long, husband number eight.

China Lin never tells anyone about the fortune in gold she stole. She spends it on luxuries and trinkets at a rate that leaves her almost penniless just before she dies, leaving nothing behind.

Lefty McGee is elected the new sheriff of the town, the one job he knows he can do well.

Ramsey gazes with parochial pride at his underground boxing club, which he has, with bold vision, expanded from a dingy 20'x20' room to a slightly less dingy 25'x25' one. He is still wearing the conductor's hat.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Judgement posted:

Try this: http://bettermyths.com/being-a-fisherman-is-occasionally-lucrative/

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

:dance:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

One of these years I will go to GenCon. When I can get organised enough to save up for the loving plane fare. And route via Dublin to avoid the hideous immigration bullshit. And arrange a hotel room. And set aside enough for a ticket. And set aside two weeks off when I don't have urgent deadlines to cover the con and the jet-lag. How Brookshaw manages it every year is beyond me.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Aaaaa I can't wait for this podcast. :swoon:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

TurninTrix posted:

Aaaaa I can't wait for this podcast. :swoon:

I am probably going to take screenshots to get maximum use out of my roll20 map :getin:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What is 'grog', when'd Winson quit moddin' and who's this new dude? :colbert:

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

Anatharon posted:

What is 'grog', when'd Winson quit moddin' and who's this new dude? :colbert:

Grog: Short for grognard. Charitably speaking, grognards are folks who don't like these new-fangled ways of pretending to be elves, and like how the games worked back in the day. Uncharitably speaking, a whole lot of people we call grognards are getting called that because they're actively hateful or bigoted people, who don't just prefer a different way, but will fight tooth and nail to make that the only way.

Winson quit modding...Last month, I believe? That is, August.

Which new dude? Ettin? Ettin's been around for a long time, just recently changed the avatar, is all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Grog is also a hard drink of rum, water and lemon juice (a whole lot of lemon juice) named after Vice Admiral Edward "Old Grog" Vernon, so called because of the grogram coat he wore.

Oh, and the word "grognard" means "grumbler" in French. Napoleon's elite Old Guard had the priviledge of being allowed to complain freely, and their grenadiers were called "les Grognards" because they would not stop kvetching.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Siivola posted:

Oh, and the word "grognard" means "grumbler" in French. Napoleon's elite Old Guard had the priviledge of being allowed to complain freely, and their grenadiers were called "les Grognards" because they would not stop kvetching.

Early wargames were mostly Napoleonics, and wargamers jokingly adopted this term. This is how it became a trad games thing :hist101:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The grog tax is the greatest oppression in modern times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Siivola posted:

I was unaware of this particular part of the origin of the word, and now I have a mental image of Statler and Waldorf as Napoleonic grenadiers and it's the greatest thing.

• Locked thread