Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

This month some people get to have a very important vote as to whether they manage to get away from the Tories. Godspeed you magnificent Irn-Bru powered bastards.

The reincarnation of Wallace himself:

Compare:

:scotland:

Previous UK Threads

August '14 thread - Bojo's Brilliant Buran Bazaar
July '14 thread - Claim to fame as thread regular knows dogfucker from school
June '14 thread
May '14 thread
April '14 thread
March '14 thread
February '14 thread
January '14 thread

December '13 thread
November '13 thread
October '13 thread
September '13 thread
August '13 thread
July '13 thread
May/June '13 thread
April '13 thread Thatcher came to this thread to die.
Feb/March '13 thread Warning: :biotruths:
BOGOF Dec '12/ Jan '13 thread with such highlights as my terrible landlady stealing my underwear to make sure I returned the keys and Trickjaw's fight against the bastards of the Work Program.

2010? :iiam: -2012

Two for the price of one October and November '12 thread

September '12 thread.

August '12 thread.

July '12 thread (with links to previous threads and Iohannes definitive Minimum Alcohol Pricing post).

Ninpo's excellent effortpost on the poverty trap that exists for people working up to 16 hours (but no more) a week.

Other threads of interest for the citizens of the UK :britain:

Hackgate scandal thread - Something actually happened recently!

UK Marriage Equality thread

The Irn Bru Blood Transfusion thread

The EDL/UK Fascist watch thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like to imagine that Cameron's legacy will be the breakup of the united kingdom :allears:

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

KKKlean Energy posted:

I like to imagine that Cameron's legacy will be the breakup of the united kingdom :allears:

I'd like to imagine that Clegg's legacy would be the breakup of Cameron's face.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Crossposting from the EDL thread because I think we can all do with being cheered up on a Monday morning:

:nws: Gobby EDL shite mouthing off for thirty seconds and then Nirvana:

http://youtu.be/UmP9mVv-DEQ

e: now with a youtubes link.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 1, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
UKMT September: fucken have that ya fucken oval office

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

The last UKMT :britain:

EDIT: Actually, what the gently caress will the UK be called after Scottish Independence?

Obviously The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is right out.

Prior to the addition of Ireland and Scotland it was just The Kingdom of England (even though it included Wales because gently caress you that's why), so I guess it will end up as The United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland?

Which is pretty weird I guess.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 1, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pasco posted:

The last UKMT :britain:

I wouldn't worry about that: I expect they'd go with 'The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I wouldn't worry about that: I expect they'd go with 'The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Wales should be so lucky. Maybe they'll be added in as a sop to stop Plaid Cymru turning into the SNP Mk.2

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pasco posted:

stop Plaid Cymru turning into the SNP Mk.2
There's no real prospect of that - you can argue the toss one way or another about how Scotland's wealth as an independent nation would compare to the rest of the UK, but there's no argument to be had for Wales. It's a total financial dead zone and without transfers from the rest of the country it'd be in a very bad state indeed.

e: also, can't afford a house? Don't worry! With a new 40 year mortgage, you can reduce your payments to a level that's right for you! If you're finding the payments on the 40 year product a bit too stiff, look out for our forthcoming generational mortgages, which will let you sign over not just your lifetime earnings but those of your children and extended family as well!

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 1, 2014

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's no real prospect of that - you can argue the toss one way or another about how Scotland's wealth as an independent nation would compare to the rest of the UK, but there's no argument to be had for Wales. It's a total financial dead zone and without transfers from the rest of the country it'd be in a very bad state indeed.

Speaking of which, how is the Cornish independence movement going?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pasco posted:

Wales should be so lucky. Maybe they'll be added in as a sop to stop Plaid Cymru turning into the SNP Mk.2

I think it has a nicer sound to it than just 'England and Northern Ireland'.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Pissflaps posted:

I think it has a nicer sound to it than just 'England and Northern Ireland'.

How about the United Kingdom of Northumbria, Mercia, Anglia, Essex, Wessex, Sussex and Kent? That sounds like a lot of places!

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Pissflaps posted:

It'll still be known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it's just that Scotland will be known as 'lovely Britain'

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Hong XiuQuan posted:

It'll still be known as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it's just that Scotland will be known as 'lovely Britain'

'Britannia Inferior' is already a place thanks. (Basically Northern England: so called for its distance from LondonRome.)

ufarn
May 30, 2009
United Conglomerate of ATOS.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Kegluneq posted:

'Britannia Inferior' is already a place thanks. (Basically Northern England: so called for its distance from LondonRome.)

Britannia Minima

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Plebgate video has been released by the Met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHOeOWw-8Rg

The Guardian is looking at it here. Looks to me the balding guy with the backpack seemed to react to something said just as Micthell leaves.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: also, can't afford a house? Don't worry! With a new 40 year mortgage, you can reduce your payments to a level that's right for you! If you're finding the payments on the 40 year product a bit too stiff, look out for our forthcoming generational mortgages, which will let you sign over not just your lifetime earnings but those of your children and extended family as well!

100-year mortgages already exist.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Kegluneq posted:

Speaking of which, how is the Cornish independence movement going?

A lot of people keep talking about Yorkshire independence now too.

Where does it loving end this is ridiculous. Let's just have independent streets

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i think it'd be nice if they just went for "The United Kingdom"
the "of …" part isn't really that useful and just takes up a lot of space on official forms and stuff.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Cerv posted:

the "of …" part isn't really that useful and just takes up a lot of space on official forms and stuff.

We should just rebrand as "UK".

Acronyms help to better clarify our position in the global marketplace and articles like "The" are no longer engaging the target demographics.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

KKKlean Energy posted:

Acronyms help to better clarify our position in the global marketplace and articles like "The" are no longer engaging the target demographics.

When will I need to apply for my Yookay passport?

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
The United Kingdom of UKIP

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

KKKlean Energy posted:

'UK' isn't an acronym, it's an initialism.

This mistake is a constant bugbear of mine.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

thehustler posted:

Where does it loving end this is ridiculous. Let's just have independent streets

It potentially ends with federalism and a tiered system of governance where smaller groups/areas have a direct impact. Until that happens, people who don't like a body of governance will try to get out of it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thehustler posted:

There's already a logical dividing point at the EU Statistical Regions, which were supposed to each have their own assembly until the central government remembered that it liked being probably the most overly central government anywhere outside of a dictatorship.

Give each EU regional area official status as a province/state/whatever (personally I like whatever combination allows Wales to be called the Welsh Autonomous Zone), drop the 'countries within a country (within a country?)' thing which has only ever found use in sports and loving over the periphery, make the Westminster government federal.

Plus it means lots more miniature flags to wave.

Pissflaps posted:

If it was federal it could be FUK, which is an acronym.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pissflaps posted:

Maybe not the way you pronounce it. :colbert:

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There's already a logical dividing point at the EU Statistical Regions, which were supposed to each have their own assembly until the central government remembered that it liked being probably the most overly central government anywhere outside of a dictatorship..

That seems like a weird spin to put on it. Wasn't the Regional Assembly plan squelched because people overwhelmingly voted against it?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Undead Hippo posted:

That seems like a weird spin to put on it. Wasn't the Regional Assembly plan squelched because people overwhelmingly voted against it?
Which regions actually got to vote on it? All I remember was the government stirring up a lot of 'are costs :qq:' arguments in Yorkshire, which smacked a lot of the 'This baby needs new body armour, not a fair voting system' adverts. I can't remember the midlands or north-east getting any kind of vote.

e: I don't think it's controversial to say that the government in the UK (Scotland excepted in the past couple decades) is far more centralized than most other European countries though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Guavanaut posted:

Which regions actually got to vote on it? All I remember was the government stirring up a lot of 'are costs :qq:' arguments in Yorkshire, which smacked a lot of the 'This baby needs new body armour, not a fair voting system' adverts. I can't remember the midlands or north-east getting any kind of vote.

There's this thing called the internet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England_devolution_referendums,_2004

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Aren't the Dutch also a United Kingdom? That might be enough to set them over the edge and raid the Medway again.

(Although admittedly hauling back a Poundstretcher isn't quite as impressive as capturing the Royal Charles)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Aren't the Dutch also a United Kingdom? That might be enough to set them over the edge and raid the Medway again.

(Although admittedly hauling back a Poundstretcher isn't quite as impressive as capturing the Royal Charles)

They can have it.

Come to think of it, Medway and Nederlans share the bizarre inability to have more than one haircut in the country at any time, so it'd work great.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
I hear Cameron's pretty fond of the name UK plc

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

UK brought to you by G4S.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Serco Austerity Stadium

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Perfidious Albion.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

e: I don't think it's controversial to say that the government in the UK (Scotland excepted in the past couple decades) is far more centralized than most other European countries though.

Not even Scotland excepted, if you're talking about local government - our council areas are massive compared to elsewhere in Europe, both in size and population terms. Not sure about the rest of the UK but I have the feeling it doesn't compare too well either.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The Plebgate video has been released by the Met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHOeOWw-8Rg

The Guardian is looking at it here. Looks to me the balding guy with the backpack seemed to react to something said just as Micthell leaves.

How comes some people are pixelated and others not?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Koninkrijk der Nederlanden

so just Kingdom, not United. I think. If only McCaine hadn't left years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

notaspy posted:

How comes some people are pixelated and others not?

It's how you tell the plebs from the not-plebs

• Locked thread