Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheJoker138 posted:

I think this is probably exactly where they're going with it, if they follow up on the Corps. at all.

It would make a nice parallel to how the super elite of earth did the same thing with the gem they recovered with Captain America. Thanos does, as Thor alludes to in Avengers, doesn't really take an interest in folks until they "ascend to a certain level of warfare" or however he words it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Not a surprise Bautista was a good Drax, he's well versed in fighting sci-fi creatures.. :3:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
What the gently caress is with that Dalek?

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
I have absolutely no idea I just took the picture from Bautistas facebook page.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd assume it's someones home made costume from a convention.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

WarLocke posted:

What the gently caress is with that Dalek?

It looks like Davros hosed a cylon!

Or KITT.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

TheJoker138 posted:

I think we can all be thankful that they gave Gamora clothes, unlike in the comics.

Gamora has been running in full body armor since the serious started again last year.

Thankfully, Angela (from Spawn and now part of the Marvel Universe) has recently picked up the slack in "lady who fights wearing little clothing".

They are now best friends and enjoy weekends killing aliens and righting wrongs. It's actually a pretty awesome dynamic.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
How did a Spawn character manage to transfer over to Marvel?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BreakAtmo posted:

Is it at all possible that this stuff was not actually 'cut', and rather was only ever filmed for the trailer in the first place?
That's incredibly uncommon, but it's possible. They did it for the introducing the team scene.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Davinci posted:

How did a Spawn character manage to transfer over to Marvel?

Yeah offtopic but this is really weird.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
Neil Gaiman sued Todd McFarlane for the character rights because of all the poo poo Todd did with the Miracle Man, got them and then sold them to Marvel to piss off Toddy (p.s. whatever happened to that guy?)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Neil Gaiman sued Todd McFarlane for the character rights because of all the poo poo Todd did with the Miracle Man, got them and then sold them to Marvel to piss off Toddy (p.s. whatever happened to that guy?)

He made Halo and Walking Dead toys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He charges $10 to show you his balls at conventions.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Commissar Of Doom posted:

Neil Gaiman is so cool :allears:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

TheJoker138 posted:

He charges $10 to show you his balls at conventions.

Baseballs, right? I vaguely remember him printing some super weird wanky brags about his collection in the back of Spawn issues. It was weird. That was back in the 90, though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pixelante posted:

Baseballs, right? I vaguely remember him printing some super weird wanky brags about his collection in the back of Spawn issues. It was weird. That was back in the 90, though.

Yeah. I'm actually not sure if he still goes around with them, but he definitely used to.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

That's incredibly uncommon, but it's possible. They did it for the introducing the team scene.

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe they deliberately shot some racy-looking footage and stuck it in the trailer to draw in the dumb teenage boys, with no plans to ever actually have it in the film. Though that demographic might be drawn in by the space action anyway. I dunno.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apart from those well educated teenage boys.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Disney rejected Gunn's original idea for the Stan Lee cameo.

quote:

One of the losing battles regarded Stan Lee's original cameo in the film. Originally, Gunn had planned to have Lee in one of the Collector's exhibits. Groot would then look at the exhibit aghast, to which Lee would flick off the large tree creature.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Now that GotG has made so mich money though they can just use this verbatim in GotG2.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Now that GotG has made so mich money though they can just use this verbatim in GotG2.

The Collector imprisoned Xandarian Ladies' Man in order to study his astounding virility.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Stan Lee should just play the Watcher. All of his cameos are just him keeping a tab on things.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What was the purpose of the (post credits spoiler)Howard the Duck cameo? Just a fun joke on how the collector has EVERYTHING? I noticed he also had the space elves and one of the chituari imprisoned.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Vintersorg posted:

What was the purpose of the (post credits spoiler)Howard the Duck cameo? Just a fun joke on how the collector has EVERYTHING? I noticed he also had the space elves and one of the chituari imprisoned.

I think it was mocking the idea that the end of credits stinger is always about the next major Marvel movie down the pipe. Instead of Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury coming in like a badass to tell Iron Man he has to join the Avengers, it's goddam Howard the Duck.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Vin Diesel just did the movie for free didn't he?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Invalid Validation posted:

Vin Diesel just did the movie for free didn't he?

Yeah once a decade he needs to voice an emotionally touching animated character for free.

(No? Why would he work for free?)

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mantis42 posted:

Stan Lee should just play the Watcher. All of his cameos are just him keeping a tab on things.

No, this is just silly.

Obviously he's the Beyonder.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pander posted:

(No? Why would he work for free?)

Well maybe they paid him with a case of beer when he walked by the studio.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mantis42 posted:

No, they are just movies, not documentaries, hence they don't really any explanation to explain him being there.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it was mocking the idea that the end of credits stinger is always about the next major Marvel movie down the pipe. Instead of Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury coming in like a badass to tell Iron Man he has to join the Avengers, it's goddam Howard the Duck.

I seriously think this is a tease for a Howard the Duck reboot, now that Disney has Lucasfilm and Marvel there's no rights issue to stop them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

With Jack Kirby dead they need to just have Lee literally be the voice/look of God like Kirby is in the comics.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I don't know who first decided that Stan Lee had to have a cameo in every Marvel movie, but I'm glad they did. Although I'm not surprised Disney vetoed the first one. What kind of monster would flick off Groot?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e X posted:

No, they are just movies, not documentaries, hence they don't really any explanation to explain him being there.

It was a joke.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McDragon posted:

I don't know who first decided that Stan Lee had to have a cameo in every Marvel movie, but I'm glad they did. Although I'm not surprised Disney vetoed the first one. What kind of monster would flick off Groot?

I don't know either but it's awesome, he has a cameo in almost every MARVEL movie not just MCU movie. Like he's very briefly there in Blade, X1/X2, both Ghost Riders and Punishers, etc.

Apparently he didn't want to do a cameo in GotG at all at first because he never did any creative work on them or play any part in their inception.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know either but it's awesome, he has a cameo in almost every MARVEL movie not just MCU movie. Like he's very briefly there in Blade, X1/X2, both Ghost Riders and Punishers, etc.

Apparently he didn't want to do a cameo in GotG at all at first because he never did any creative work on them or play any part in their inception.

Stan Lee cameos are almost always great. The first Marvel movie that films after his death will be really sad, hopefully that isn't for a while.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mantis42 posted:

It was a joke.

No worries, it's just, you would be surprised how many people seems to be agitated by the cameos and practical demand a in-universe explanation.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

It was kind of a double whammy since apparently he was sitting on Adam Warlock's coccoon.

Went to see the movie a second time today. Gamora really is the weakest part of the movie. I kind of hate to say it, since female main characters tend to get scrutizined twice as hard as male ones, but it's kind of a shared blame situation. On one hand, her character doesn't get much to do, doesn't get to have much background other than "Thanos's adopted daughter," and behaves in a way completely dissonant with being a walking weapon who spent years in service of one of the most dangerous guys in the galaxy. On the other, Zoe Saldana seems to have real trouble making the wordy and sometimes clichéd dialogue believable. Ronan and Nebula get the same kind of dialogue but manage to make it work. Really glad Nebula makes it out for another appearance, for that reason. Hell, even Bautista manages Drax's archaic lines.

I rather hope Thanos gets a bit of a redesign for his next appearance. I realize his comic book getup is kind of impossible to make cool on the screen, but that super gaudy golden armor just looked kind of weirdly ugly and made it harder not to see him as a pile of CGI.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think Thanos lack of characterization is directly tied with Gamora's weakness as a character. We never actually get to see why she wants to betray him and build a new life. Neither does her interaction with Nebula give us any indication how she was before she switched sides. We are told that Thanos killed her entire planet, and that is certainly a reason, but she worked with him for years, even earning her a reputation, so it would ahve been nice to know what finally got her to abandon that life.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I just re-watched Thor 2 last night, and even though it's roughly in much of the same cosmic space as GotG, I completely forgot that 1) It for some reason came across as a MUCH better movie than I remember it in the theaters, and 2) I completely missed the gigantic Adam Warlock cocoon in the first stinger scene when the Asgardians drop off the Aether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just caught GotG at a morning matinee. God drat this is my favorite marvel movie to date. I really loved the entire gang of heroes, though Gamora was a bit of a weak link compared to the rest of the gang which is a shame. That stinger though, that was really something.

• Locked thread