Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Orvin posted:

I didn't see this specifically mentioned in the OP, but would like confirmation. While there are no subscription fees to the game, xbox (360 and one) and PS4 users will have to have their respective premium online service to play? Is the PS3 version playable without additional costs?

I think I may be getting a PS4 and this game soon, but want to be aware of all costs associated.

Do PS+ memberships ever go on discount like you can occasionally find for xbox live gold cards?

PS3 is playable without Plus, PS4 you need it.

1 Year cards often go on sale for ~$40, like last week, keep an eye on deal sites/threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PS+ goes on sale pretty often - I think one year cards hit 25 dollars on Amazon for cyber Monday last year. It's worth it regardless, just to keep yourself rolling I'm free games for times you're feeling bored.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

a foolish pianist posted:

PS+ goes on sale pretty often - I think one year cards hit 25 dollars on Amazon for cyber Monday last year. It's worth it regardless, just to keep yourself rolling I'm free games for times you're feeling bored.

Well, to be fair if you just have a PS4 I wouldn't exactly say you'll be "rolling" in free games.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

Tomahawk posted:

Well, to be fair if you just have a PS4 I wouldn't exactly say you'll be "rolling" in free games.

24 free games a year is pretty good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nobody rolls in games on any platform until they've had it active for a few months.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

And when you find it on sale for $25, buy a few years worth cause it's stackable. Never pay full price for PS+ or XBL.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

gameday posted:

24 free games a year is pretty good.

Well they've only stepped it up to 2 games a month starting in June. By all means PSN is a great service and if you're playing games online you don't really have a choice, but up until now I wouldn't say it has really justified subscription based solely on "free games" unless you have a PS3 and/or Vita because most of the games offered up so far have been pretty lame (which is to be expected at this point in its life cycle) and I wouldn't really recommend someone sub just for the free games at this point. I've been sitting on PS+ subscription cards until Destiny comes out. But this is getting off topic and we are in the Destiny thread so you'll need a sub if you actually wanna play this game on PS4.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I'm getting this for the Bone, but I have a question about the 360 version (which might not be answerable until it's released). I have two 360s and I believe the 360 will be a two disk install. What are the chances I can get away with installing it on both, and using each disk for each system to play at the same time? I know I could get away with that on some multi-disk 360 titles, not sure if Destiny will be the same.

My home bandwidth is fine, so I can play both on Live without issue, merely a question of whether I could possibly avoid having to buy two 360 disks if I wanted to get two people playing at my place.

Also somewhat related to this, I know you can go last gen to current gen on the same brand with your character, but can your character go current gen to last gen? I mean if I have my character on Xbone/PS4, could I go back to 360/PS3 with it?

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 2, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Well if you like playing multiplayer games you should get PS+ because basically every games multiplayer requires it. The free PS+ games are just a bonus for me. I'm gonna own it anyway, but wooo free poo poo I normally wouldn't get.

edit: don't most 360 games have an install disc and a play disc now? Can't play with the install disc in

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Teek posted:

I'm getting this for the Bone, but I have a question about the 360 version (which might not be answerable until it's released). I have two 360s and I believe the 360 will be a two disk install. What are the chances I can get away with installing it on both, and using each disk for each system to play at the same time? I know I could get away with that one some multi-disk 360 titles, not sure if Destiny will be the same.

I don't think anyone knows this, but I would guess that there's one Play disc and one Install disc and only one of them will allow the game to launch.

quote:

Also somewhat related to this, I know you can go last gen to next gen on the same brand with your character, but can your character go current gen to last gen? I mean if I have my character on Xbone/PS4, could I go back to 360/PS3 with it?

This should be possible, but, as with a forward transfer, only between platforms with the same owner (360<->One and PS3<->PS4).

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I think they have stated you can only go forwards not backwards.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
PS+ is only required for multiplayer activities (Strikes, PvP, raid, etc). You can play the campaign (by yourself) without it. Not that I recommend that.

e: forwards, backwards, back and forth. It's not a one-time transfer. You can play XBONE one night and 360 the next with the same character.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.destinyplanetview.com/ :stare:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

:stare::hf::stare:

This owns.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Teek posted:

I'm getting this for the Bone, but I have a question about the 360 version (which might not be answerable until it's released). I have two 360s and I believe the 360 will be a two disk install. What are the chances I can get away with installing it on both, and using each disk for each system to play at the same time? I know I could get away with that on some multi-disk 360 titles, not sure if Destiny will be the same.

My home bandwidth is fine, so I can play both on Live without issue, merely a question of whether I could possibly avoid having to buy two 360 disks if I wanted to get two people playing at my place.

Also somewhat related to this, I know you can go last gen to current gen on the same brand with your character, but can your character go current gen to last gen? I mean if I have my character on Xbone/PS4, could I go back to 360/PS3 with it?

Since you are getting Destiny for the Bone, we are now friends. Think of it as friendly friend rape, I mean you can say no, but in the end you have no choice. ;)

How long has this been out and why am I just now seeing this! I hope this game can live up to the hype, well at least better than Titanfall lived up to theirs.

Stanyer89 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 2, 2014

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

It's a wonderful time to be alive.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like the random real-life Astronomy Facts scattered in amongst all the stuff about magic space monsters.

vvvvv I suspected as much but there was no way I wasn't going to do that anyway.

Toenail Ninja
Sep 10, 2003

Superman is back!
It's great!

Just FYI there's an in-game emblem reward for hitting every icon on all 3 planets. It gives you a code to redeem on Bungie's site on your account.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Toenail Ninja posted:

Just FYI there's an in-game emblem reward for hitting every icon on all 3 planets. It gives you a code to redeem on Bungie's site on your account.

Unfortunately half of the icons don't even have a video to go with them yet.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Stanyer89 posted:

Since you are getting Destiny for the Bone, we are now friends. Think of it as friendly friend rape, I mean you can say no, but in the end you have no choice. ;)

Can I join the friendly party? I, too, will be getting The Destiny on The Bone.

Tag: AgentSiets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stanyer89 posted:

Unfortunately half of the icons don't even have a video to go with them yet.

The most important video works, though.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

There's a bunch of story exposition in those little clickable points, especially hints about Vex related ancient ruins that predate humanity.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

This is the part of Destiny I look forward to the most. :allears:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Toenail Ninja posted:

Yesss, another emblem in the bank.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Yeah the emblem is actually pretty nice. It's a nice blue square with a circuit-like pattern on it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
So I decided to look at the cesspool that is Neogaf, and they are making GBS threads themselves because review copies for Destiny won't arrive until the 8th of September. Despite a very public beta, and the knowledge that the game is online only and needs the servers to be ready to run, they are adamant the game is going to bomb because of it. I swear they overreact to everything, even compared to friendly goons.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

BastardySkull posted:

Yeah the emblem is actually pretty nice. It's a nice blue square with a circuit-like pattern on it.

OoooOOOOoohhHHHOhhHhohohohohOHhhhhooooooga!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So I decided to look at the cesspool that is Neogaf, and they are making GBS threads themselves because review copies for Destiny won't arrive until the 8th of September. Despite a very public beta, and the knowledge that the game is online only and needs the servers to be ready to run, they are adamant the game is going to bomb because of it. I swear they overreact to everything, even compared to friendly goons.

This is usually a pretty good indicator but at the same time, like, we played it. We know it's good. So yeah, who cares.

Plus wasn't the most recent Wolfenstein embargoed like that? And it turned out pretty good from what I hear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For some reason the street view panoramas started performing like crap after I switched from the first planet I visited to the second. It made clicking them all an ordeal but I got my emblem. Now it can go with the beta rewards in the pile of emblems I won't use once I find the one that looks the most like the Marathon symbol.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I explored all the points but didn't get a code...

I did see this though under the legal thing and thought it was funny/interesting.

Any reason why they would put that on there?

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I read a bungie tweet that they had their server monitoring stuff online and were watching the numbers of people playing it so assumed that the numbers they were looking at were in-house friends and family playing, as well as press?

Either way it doesn't really matter too much, though the trend of holding back copies is pretty poo poo.

FishBulb posted:

I did see this though under the legal thing and thought it was funny/interesting.

Because they say it comes from the creators of Halo.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't remember where, but I read an article about how release day embargoes are just a matter of life now. It used to signify bad scores, like it does with movies, but publishers are doing things different now. I wish I could remember more about the article because it was interesting.

That being said, I do miss getting reviews a few days early so I can read about upcoming games. I don't take reviews as gospel or anything but it's nice to read a few of them and get a good idea of what to expect.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

BastardySkull posted:

There's a bunch of story exposition in those little clickable points, especially hints about Vex related ancient ruins that predate humanity.

Bungie: If the story ain't broke, don't fix it.

One week left! Hope our delivery dude is running ahead of schedule.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

FishBulb posted:

"No, really, this isn't Halo."

Maybe for the younglings who are theorycrafting how the universes are tied together?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FishBulb posted:

I bet it you thoroughly explore the site you can find the "FROM THE CREATORS OF HALO" line that's been plastered on all the TV and print ads.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

I bet it you thoroughly explore the site you can find the "FROM THE CREATORS OF HALO" line that's been plastered on all the TV and print ads.

That's the first thing that came to mind. 'From the creators of Halo and the people who bought you Call of Duty' was plastered prominently over a lot of Destiny media. I can see how people can make the connection.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Well historically the track record for game launches that are predominantly online are usually pretty terrible, right? Although this time PS+/XBL were able to get a baseline of traffic from the beta and will hopefully not tip over.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Siets posted:

Can I join the friendly party? I, too, will be getting The Destiny on The Bone.

Tag: AgentSiets

Someones gotta bring the party favors!

Tag: Jabber89

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Nuts and Gum posted:

Well historically the track record for game launches that are predominantly online are usually pretty terrible, right? Although this time PS+/XBL were able to get a baseline of traffic from the beta and will hopefully not tip over.

Yeah but if anyone's able to pull it off without a hitch it'll be Bungie. They've had a lot of time to learn from other companies. Will probably still go down though.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Nuts and Gum posted:

I don't have any data with me, but I don't really think that's the case anymore. The most prominent one I can think of is WoW's initial launch where Blizzard had a lot of server stability issues because the game was a lot more popular than they anticipated. I think they even had to stop selling copies of WoW for a bit. I think things are generally better now. I would definitely expect things to not be 100% perfect but I don't think we'll see any catastrophic failures. I could be wrong, though, and watching stuff crash and burn is half the fun :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The Neogaf whining got to such an extent a Bungie employee had to post a response;

quote:

We'll talk more about this in the update, but we did explore simulating a vibrant pre-launch population by giving early access to some fictive group, employing hired resources, and/or raising an army of sentient, killer robots. Ultimately, given that most reviewers are going to need to spend time with Destiny in the real world, under real conditions, we opted to have reviewers play alongside real players.

Some of them are still moaning.

• Locked thread