Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I like football and I've grown to like college football, but I don't have a college football team. Who should I root for this year?

I'll probably just take up the flag of whoever first responds to this but no Alabama, Florida State, or Maryland. Nick Saban is an rear end in a top hat, I don't want to be a bandwagoner and the terps moving conferences just bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I'm just so used to the ACC :shurg:

Florida. You are a Ravens fan and they gave you Tebow, slayer of Steelers.

edit: Also, with our coach we will either win 11 games or lose 11, so its fun!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Oh if you're into cool rear end old man coaches you can join me on the KSU bandwagon, there is lots of purple and it is sick as hell, beatin up on cupcakes and them dirty Jayhawks and (hold on let me check this spreadsheet) Mizzou I guess? Also you get to periodically make UT fans real sad so that kinda owns

There's also South Carolina for old man cults of personality

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

miami. we're rooting to fire our coach.

These are our fans this year:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'm going MSU because I do like defense and it was the first response with the obvious exception being if they ever play the San Diego State Aztecs whom I'll support by saying go Aztecs while they play games I will almost certainly never get on TV.
I was tempted to go Auburn here but the thought of getting attached to Sammy Coates only to watch the Ravens pass on him in the draft next May is a little to painful to bear.

So yeah, go... Spartans!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

you should like any and every MACtion team instead.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
<----- Gunslingers are the best things to cheer

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

#goACC

But seriously Mizzou's a good program. Heck, pick one team per conference until you settle on a team you really enjoy watching

Also pick teams to hate.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want to say that UNT's loss to UT wasn't that bad, cause we got paid a lot of money to take out their quarterback, but if he's gonna retire from football I feel kinda bad.

Sad thing is I'd still take his concussed carcass over both of our overthrowing nimrods.:downs:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Breaky posted:

You monster

Penn State or West Virginia, so you can lord the hilariously lopsided series records over Rutgers for all times

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Penn State

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm going MSU because I do like defense and it was the first response with the obvious exception being if they ever play the San Diego State Aztecs whom I'll support by saying go Aztecs while they play games I will almost certainly never get on TV.
I was tempted to go Auburn here but the thought of getting attached to Sammy Coates only to watch the Ravens pass on him in the draft next May is a little to painful to bear.

So yeah, go... Spartans!

Make sure you complete the steps in the path to true college football fandom by visiting your chosen school's main blog to get a proper hatred of your fellow fans, and bone up on any historic state-wide disasters to properly understand all the jokes being thrown at you. Congrats on your new chosen team/school and let me be the first to say that you're literally the worst and your team is awful and is full of cheaters and scumbags. Welcome!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So yeah, go... Spartans!

I believe as a new Michigan State fan you are required to watch this video.

e: and this one!

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 3, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

VDay posted:

Congrats on your new chosen team/school and let me be the first to say that you're literally the worst and your team is awful and is full of cheaters and scumbags. Welcome!

Oh, yeah. That feels like home.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

VDay posted:

Congrats on your new chosen team/school and let me be the first to say that you're literally the worst and your team is awful and is full of cheaters and scumbags.

Also not classy. Not classy at all. Stay classy, team.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

get on board the Temple Train

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
if you're rolling with Sparty just remember that Michigan fans are all 90 years old and love to jingle keys. they also hate standing up

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Groucho Marxist posted:

if you're rolling with Sparty just remember that Michigan fans are all 90 years old and love to jingle keys. they also hate standing up

They also say poo poo like this:

quote:

every single MSU fan would've gone to Michigan if they had a chance, but sadly for them 95% of MSU grads couldn't get into Michigan.

Taken from the hail mary video posted earlier. He admits to not being a Michigan fan but I wouldn't be surprised if it was bred from other UM fans. Also the math doesn't exactly work on that.

I had a Vandy fan say something similar to me like that once. I just called him a nerd and laughed it off but I thought my friend was going to kill him, and he's a ND fan.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Oh, yeah. That feels like home.

Look if you're gonna irrationally attach yourself to Sparty then you better ride or fuckin' die with them. Like you know they've got a big game AT Oregon this week and you need to be as heartbroken as every other Spartan fan when they manage to piss way a 10 point lead because Marcus Mariota hits Byron Marshall for a 36-yard touchdown to win as the time expires. Or you know some poo poo like a phantom OPI call on Michigan State, that's a Michigan State as hell thing.

Here are reasons college football is better than the NFL

1) the atmosphere at a college game is all about the connection to it and not to the New York Giants Pregame Party Sponsored by Pepsi or whatever

2) the variety of offenses. like Chip Kelly is old as hell and everyone's like "yup seen it' by now especially out at the farm in Stanford. But it's still fun as hell to watch that and then you have the Air Raid down in Texas and Rich Rodriguez read-optioning his way to a bowl game at Arizona. Oh yeah, the pistol? Made that out in Reno. You also have Urban Meyer reinventing the spread up at Ohio State. Meyer didn't invent the spread but he sure did perfect it over the past decade. Then you've got the service academies and those ironic Luddites down at Georgia Tech running the triple option

3) upsets! there's nothing *that* exciting about the Jags beating the Patriots or whatever. I mean sure it's impressive but it's the NFL and it's boring. But when an undefeated Top 10 team goes down or loses to an FCS team (been there, dammit)? It's the best!

4) A general sense of fun. The NFL is boring as poo poo these days and I'm not talking about 'they don't play defense' or whatever. Like it's just watching some methodical down-the-field poo poo and wow there ya go again Tom Brady threw a touchdown. Plus, the NFL just stands behind the shield and their sponsors. College ball? Hell, just grab on for the ride as you watch some C-USA game where no one can tackle

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

God, Miami fans are the loving worst.

Like the greasiest, most Jersey version of Carnival you can imagine.

The ones I saw in college were nasty, just as you described. They combine the worst elements of New Jersey and south Florida culture into a horrible amalgam. Then there are the rich hangers-on on the fanbase's periphery who are alright.

Emron posted:

I can see us dropping a game or two this season, but I've been wrong about that before--and it's not like that's a bad thing. It's really great to be a fan of a team that thinks the possibility of a loss is a bad thing.

Alabama's recent run of success did lead to a moment of defeat proportionate to that success (see below). Miami declined. Southern Cal declined. Florida declined. Les Miles is still doing his magic show. Alabama will decline, at some point. Anyone who endured the Mike DuBose years appreciates how good things are right now. As long as Saban stays in Tuscaloosa I can't see them doing too badly.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

The Puppy Bowl posted:

So yeah, go... Spartans!
You must prepare yourself with this quiz, then.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I like football and I've grown to like college football, but I don't have a college football team. Who should I root for this year?

I'll probably just take up the flag of whoever first responds to this but no Alabama, Florida State, or Maryland. Nick Saban is an rear end in a top hat, I don't want to be a bandwagoner and the terps moving conferences just bugs the hell out of me for some reason. I'm just so used to the ACC :shurg:

LSU. Every game is interesting because Les Miles. He is the only coach with a .500 or better record when trailing in the fourth quarter.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MindlessHavok posted:

They also say poo poo like this:

Taken from the hail mary video posted earlier. He admits to not being a Michigan fan but I wouldn't be surprised if it was bred from other UM fans. Also the math doesn't exactly work on that.

I had a Vandy fan say something similar to me like that once. I just called him a nerd and laughed it off but I thought my friend was going to kill him, and he's a ND fan.
"MSU is for people who can't get into Michigan" has been a thing in the state of Michigan for generations. It was probably close to being true about 100 years ago, but now it's just something to say to piss off MSU fans.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

the thought of getting attached to Sammy Coates only to watch the Ravens pass on him in the draft next May is a little to painful to bear.
Sammie Coates is awesome but the Auburn receiver you're going to be even more pissed about your team passing on/not getting a chance to is Duke Williams.

God we have not been this deep at receiver since at least '05 and I don't know if that even matches up.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Don't root for K-State.

You really shouldn't root for Michigan State either, but do what you will.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

Don't root for K-State.

You really shouldn't root for Michigan State either, but do what you will.

KSU is a fairly easy team to root for. Led by an old wizard. Historically terrible program. Don't have any other ultra-successful sports to hate on.

Hard to root against them.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

kayakyakr posted:

KSU is a fairly easy team to root for. Led by an old wizard. Historically terrible program. Don't have any other ultra-successful sports to hate on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-05wPlQQ4

Cut to 0:22 if you like. As you say, how can you root against them?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

Weird logo, lousy colors, terrifying Egyptian god mascot

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I want to say that UNT's loss to UT wasn't that bad, cause we got paid a lot of money to take out their quarterback, but if he's gonna retire from football I feel kinda bad.

Sad thing is I'd still take his concussed carcass over both of our overthrowing nimrods.:downs:

It's too bad Derek Thompson had to graduate. That dude and Coach Dan brought UNT back from the grave. Pretty cool thing to see IMO

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hatin' rear end Spurrier posted:

I'd say it's gonna be a long season for Northwestern, but that implies they'll be playing in a bowl.

Hatin' rear end Spurrier is right. It is mathematically impossible for this team to get to six wins.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

SpiritualDeath posted:

You must prepare yourself with this quiz, then.

Completely forgot how bad some of these were. It's one thing to make a dumb move that costs the game, but MSU's fuckups used to come in rapid succession with the next one being worse than the last. It was amazing how quickly they'd fall apart. It's been nice to have a stretch without any of those games (knocking on every piece of wood in the house).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sometimes I think KSU has the scariest mascot, then I remember Purdue's monstrosity with those huge, dead eyes

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Heaf posted:

Here are reasons college football is better than the NFL

on the other hand, being a fan of a bad team is terrible because you lose by 40 points

and everyone nods in agreement that it was expected because you're a team from a not good conference and gently caress

Lessail fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 3, 2014

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

But seriously, gently caress K-State forever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbEJWk0YAk

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Scariest mascot?

Oski

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Lessail posted:

on the other hand, being a fan of a bad team is terrible because you lose by 40 points

and everyone nods in agreement that it was expected because you're a team from a not good conference and gently caress

Counterpoint: everyone wants you to win because it's hilarious when it happens.

Only time the NFL is hilarious is when it rains too much in Pittsburgh and then the ball sticks in the ground on a punt

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Sash! posted:

Weird logo, lousy colors, terrifying Egyptian god mascot

Because "generic blue and plain white" are really poppy, memorable colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yir8LYKXjdE