Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Some more details on Disgaea 5 have been revealed.

Also there is going to be a demo released soon. This makes me wonder just how close the game is to being finished if they can release a demo so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

megamariox posted:

Some more details on Disgaea 5 have been revealed.

quote:

Since we’re making it, I want to be able to offer something that could only be done with the PlayStation 4.”

Another quote from Niikawa says: “The number of characters that can be displayed at once has vastly grown. On the PlayStation 3 it was limited to 10 characters shown in high definition, but the PlayStation 4 can display 100 characters.”.
Crap, i don't think we'll be seeing that one on the Vita.

I'm also a little baffled how they can have such limits on sprites. I understand they're animated sprites, but drat.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
PS4 only? Wow. I remember thinking D3 being ps3 exclusive was pretty dumb at the time because it looked like a ps2 game but this is ridiculous.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mithaldu posted:

Crap, i don't think we'll be seeing that one on the Vita.

I'm also a little baffled how they can have such limits on sprites. I understand they're animated sprites, but drat.

I assume it's due to the sheer amount of content and number crunching going on. The vita chugs hard on the final floors of the item world because of this.

Also Rabbit world. Alright.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I know most of you guys loving hate the idea, but if Pokemon can make the leap to 3d rendered units, I think Disgaea could.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

5er posted:

I know most of you guys loving hate the idea, but if Pokemon can make the leap to 3d rendered units, I think Disgaea could.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I don't want 3d models for Disgaea. I think they'd look worse than the HD sprites, considering the angle the game is played at.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also have you seen the guided fate paradox's sequel?

NIS is very hamhanded when it comes to visuals (see: the mspaint effects in certain scenes) I... think sprites are the safest bet.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

5er posted:

Maybe for a side game but definitely not for the Disgaea franchise. NIS isn't really that good with 3d models, and it just doesn't seem like it would fit for Disgaea.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also have you seen the guided fate paradox's sequel?

That game of all things is getting a sequel? Really?

I don't understand people's tastes these days.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

5er posted:

That would not alleviate the performance problems they're already having.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

This saddens me greatly, I've heard of nothing else that makes me want a PS4 and I cannot justify it for a single game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That game of all things is getting a sequel? Really?

I don't understand people's tastes these days.

Maybe they learned from their mistakes and will make it a worthy successor to ZHP.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hunter Noventa posted:

This saddens me greatly, I've heard of nothing else that makes me want a PS4 and I cannot justify it for a single game.

Destiny looks pretty awesome, and while the first game is going to be on both PS3 and PS4 they have hinted that they might drop support at some point in the played series. Or maybe I'm reading too much into you can transfer from PS3 -> PS4 and 360 -> ONE.

Either way they could release a Vita version of 5 with SD graphics maybe, or worst case remote play. Is possible, as long as you have wifi and good upload at home you can apparently play no problem across the internet with some trickery (though remote play is designed for in house only and not supported over the internet).

Though with Disgaea it is disappointing since the remakes tend to be better. I guess they could do some kind of DLC, or something after the next ones (D2D2, DD3, some other offshoot, or just 6). I'd be a bit less likely to replay though on the same console.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

Destiny looks pretty awesome, and while the first game is going to be on both PS3 and PS4 they have hinted that they might drop support at some point in the played series. Or maybe I'm reading too much into you can transfer from PS3 -> PS4 and 360 -> ONE.

The overlap of people who like Destiny and people who like Disgaea is pretty small I'd imagine.I don't enjoy most of what the AAA games industry puts out anymore. It's my onwn problem, though probably not uncommon among those who enjoy games like Disgaea.

But yeah, these games are always better on portables, this might be the first Disgaea in a while that I don't pre-order.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hunter Noventa posted:

The overlap of people who like Destiny and people who like Disgaea is pretty small I'd imagine.I don't enjoy most of what the AAA games industry puts out anymore. It's my onwn problem, though probably not uncommon among those who enjoy games like Disgaea.

But yeah, these games are always better on portables, this might be the first Disgaea in a while that I don't pre-order.

There's tons of Indie stuff on PS4, the PSN+ game from August is pretty interesting Road not Taken though there's a Vita version, like most Indie games on PS4. I'm actually kind of unsure why Indie right now seems to be Vita/PS4 without PS3. It really depends on what you want to play but PS4 isn't going to offer many exclusives for a few years with how long development time is now outside of indie games. You were either on the cool list and got to make your game while the PS4 was being developed and likely have your game running poorly and looking bad since its based on beta hardware. Or you have your game started and take 2-5 years to finish because that is what a modern game takes.

The better looking games are going to be on the later end of the scale. Disgaea is unique and instead of pushing graphics pushes math. The sheer amount of calculations is wonderful. The complexity of the game is also insane yet also simple. I just love Disgaea because you can play it as a normal RPG and it plays very well from 1-99 where it seems like the game ends with no level 100 maybe a few item world runs to level a few pieces up nothing game breaking and chapter 10 done. Then you can break the game horribly, and you find out the game is actually meant to be broken in that way and bosses exist like baal, and actual gear. Then you figure out how to dupe and think you REALLY broke the game, then you find out that the game was in fact prepared for you to break it just that much and has a new baal fight.

So really its hard to say what you do or don't like based off liking Disgaea. But Destiny has the loot grab, though I guess its an MMO and an FPS. I don't think it's going to be as awesome as everything is making it out to be, but I think it will be very enjoyable for the story and that's really what I'm looking for in that game, but you're right it doesn't hit on any of the same chords as Disgaea, actually very few things do.

I guess a PS4 exclusive Tales game would be closer, Final Fantasy as well but the only FF game to come out in forever is also going to be a Vita game too. Though Sqare does do nice cut-scenes so the PS4 version will likely be better unless they are playing the same video and being cheap.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
If it helps, while neither game is an exclusive, both Persona 5 and the next Ys game will be coming to PS4, and they're a hell of a lot closer to Disgaea than Destiny is.

Also Bloodborne looks awesome, but I think he considered that already.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that Desco's fusion version of Yog doesn't cover all the enemies in MO-4. :smith: Apparently, I need Big Bang on a fist user to make it as simple as possible, but running around capturing Nekomatas is kind of a pain in the rear end. I was wondering if there are any other good choices for wiping the whole map at once?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that Desco's fusion version of Yog doesn't cover all the enemies in MO-4. :smith: Apparently, I need Big Bang on a fist user to make it as simple as possible, but running around capturing Nekomatas is kind of a pain in the rear end. I was wondering if there are any other good choices for wiping the whole map at once?

This still requires Big Bang, but you could always just use Pink. She magichanges into a fist.

BEAUTIFUL MEOW!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'll figure it out. For now, I'm still using Desco - what do you do once you hit ~1000 and she starts taking a little longer to level up? Crank up the enemy strength, or is it the time to find Statisticians/whatever?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

That's not a bad idea, actually. I'll figure it out. For now, I'm still using Desco - what do you do once you hit ~1000 and she starts taking a little longer to level up? Crank up the enemy strength, or is it the time to find Statisticians/whatever?

Time to start hunting staticians via reverse pirating.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Which means Item World diving --> getting chances to Reverse Pirate --> capturing Statisticians during pirating, right? Guess I'm going back into my Death Gauntlet :downs:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yup, every 20 floors = a chance at reverse pirating. Floors 60, 80, and 100 have a much higher chance of them showing up though.

Just be aware the enemies are much much stronger when your the invader and the rare pirates that show up are a lot more deadly than usual too :ssh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Which means Item World diving --> getting chances to Reverse Pirate --> capturing Statisticians during pirating, right? Guess I'm going back into my Death Gauntlet :downs:

Pretty sure cheat shop XP being maxes brings you to around the same number you can get with stats and they are a complete bitch without easy duping in D4(V). I know they removed them from DD2 where the cheat shop originates. Sure you can use both in D4V but I think its a bit excessive, though I could be wrong I haven't had enough time to properly put time into D4V like I did D4 and DD2. Full time jobs with an hour commute each way seem to suck all the free time right up.

Not that you shouldn't be reverse pirating, but I think getting maxed out statisticians when they only come in 1-5 is a massive grind without the shop dupe bug.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Statisticians were not removed in DD2, they were made even easier to find by virtue of appearing on any item naturally again. Both were available and as far as I know both stack.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

Pretty sure cheat shop XP being maxes brings you to around the same number you can get with stats and they are a complete bitch without easy duping in D4(V). I know they removed them from DD2 where the cheat shop originates. Sure you can use both in D4V but I think its a bit excessive, though I could be wrong I haven't had enough time to properly put time into D4V like I did D4 and DD2. Full time jobs with an hour commute each way seem to suck all the free time right up.

Not that you shouldn't be reverse pirating, but I think getting maxed out statisticians when they only come in 1-5 is a massive grind without the shop dupe bug.

It doesn't come anywhere close to matching staticians sadly.

I remember the thread saying it early and once I hit 2000 MoO4 was only giving me about 30 levels per trip and it kept going downhill from there (even when I had 500-600% to exp). Really though the shop dupe was way to useful but the new method in D4V is infinitely painless. Soon as you have a single statician it should only take like a half hour at tops to max it out and get it duplicated a hundred times over.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It doesn't come anywhere close to matching staticians sadly.

I remember the thread saying it early and once I hit 2000 MoO4 was only giving me about 30 levels per trip and it kept going downhill from there (even when I had 500-600% to exp). Really though the shop dupe was way to useful but the new method in D4V is infinitely painless. Soon as you have a single statician it should only take like a half hour at tops to max it out and get it duplicated a hundred times over.

I stand corrected, haven't had the time to look into too much about duping in D4V. I'm still on chapter 5 with level 40 guys. I have no idea how I had so much free time before. I remember just decimating the games when they came out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

pixaal posted:

I stand corrected, haven't had the time to look into too much about duping in D4V. I'm still on chapter 5 with level 40 guys. I have no idea how I had so much free time before. I remember just decimating the games when they came out.

There's a unit you can make (biosuits) that have the ability to turn into a neutral unit. Just kill the unit with the Puppy Paw Stick once it's neutral and you get the duped item. If it doesn't pop all you have to do is hit "retry map"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do statisticians only show up in certain items or do I just need to reload over and over for a shot at getting one?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

Do statisticians only show up in certain items or do I just need to reload over and over for a shot at getting one?

They can show up on any item, as long as you reverse pirate on a deep enough floor. I'm fairly convinced they don't show up on 20/40 but I had 3 show up the first time I did a floor 100 dive, and 1 on the first time I did a floor 80. 60 took a few retries though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:psyduck: God drat, that deep? Well, I guess I can't complain if I only ever need to get one Statistician that I can dupe...

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

:psyduck: God drat, that deep? Well, I guess I can't complain if I only ever need to get one Statistician that I can dupe...

You *did* save some low-level legendary gear that would be relatively painless to get to floor 100, right? I usually wound up using Dark Rosaries for this purpose.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

sentrygun posted:

Statisticians were not removed in DD2, they were made even easier to find by virtue of appearing on any item naturally again. Both were available and as far as I know both stack.

Also the Innocent Route option in the cheat shop made it easy to level them up to max; it gives a bonus to subdued innocents based on the floor # that you subdued them on, allowing you to merge subdued innocents into unsubdued ones in order to overlap the level bonus. It's not nearly as insane as it was in D4 (post-patch).

DD2 made the usual reincarnation loop as easy as possible (to the point where, with the right setup, you could jump into the levelling map, have a level 1 character cast one spell, and end the map at level 9999), but introduced all sorts of new and excruciating grinds with the LoC stat absorption and item kill bonuses.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
A new picture of Disgaea 5 has apparently surfaced. It shows the 3 characters that were recently talked about.

I thought it wasn't real because of the length of the rabbit girls hair but it really is that short.

However with this we get a look at Kiria the main character, Seraphine the girl with pink hair and the butterfly hair-clip, and Usaria the girl riding on the strange prinny.

Hmm... judging by the way they have him standing I think the main character uses fists this time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo I'll buy it because that means they're still using sprites.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
More scans of Disgaea 5 have surfaced.

From what the scans show the main character will indeed use fists as his main weapon. Also the Seraphine the girl with the pink hair, looks like she will be using guns. Usaria also seems too be a monster type unit.

Also it appears that weapon mastery is going to make a comeback as well however it seems as though books will not be making a return. Also witch, male healer from DD2, Nekomata, Warrior, Archer, Slimes, Orc, Eringy, Alurane, Theif, and Minotaur are coming back as well. Two new classes appear to be shown, a Zombie Maid, and a new flying type class.

Scan also shows that there is a new Revenge mechanic. Also that they are using some of DD2s upgraded interface layout.

I'm honestly liking all of the designs that have have been shown so far a lot more than I did for D4s.

megamariox fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 3, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

megamariox posted:

More scans of Disgaea 5 have surfaced.

From what the scans show the main character will indeed use fists as his main weapon. Also the Seraphine the girl with the pink hair, looks like she will be using guns. Usaria also seems too be a monster type unit.

Also it appears that weapon mastery is going to make a comeback as well however it seems as though books will not be making a return. Also witch, male healer from DD2, Nekomata, Warrior, Archer, Slimes, Orc, Eringy, Alurane, Theif, and Minotaur are coming back as well. Two new classes appear to be shown, a Zombie Maid, and a new flying type class.

Scan also shows that there is a new Revenge mechanic. Also that they are using some of DD2s upgraded interface layout.

Honestly I'm liking all of the designs that have have been shown so far a lot more than I did for D4s.

Small thing I noticed in these shots is on the second page with the Archer and Witch they seem to be glancing over to the MC instead of just staring ahead. Maybe human units have a bit more detail in their animations now?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Seraphine is apparently voiced by Sarah Emi Bridcutt.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I like that they are going to stay with sprites and (apparently) up the troop limit from 10. Hopefully this leads to a remake of something like that map in Disgaea 1's Chapter 5, except now you are fighting like 200 units instead of 35. Maybe that means they will make a strat other than having 1-5 overleveled units viable.

Also what is the deal with the giant fat gold prinny. That is the mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

On the one hand, I love having a small team to work with, cause that makes it so much easier to make an effective team. On the other, there's just so many characters I want to use :(

By the way, I may have asked this before, but: is there any particular rule for optimizing Evil Symbol placement? Like, trying to make all the squares overlap, and maximize as much stat boosts as possible? Or is that just flat out impossible? I'm assuming about 5-10 characters covered by the symbols in all.

edit: Not having played DD2, I completely forgot that male healers existed and I've never seen the redesign before. I totally didn't recognize them. :pwn:

• Locked thread