Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
On a recent flight to Norway there was an article about surstromming and it referred to a Greenland food (I hesitate to call it a delicacy) whereby auk are wrapped in seal skin and buried. After some time they are retrieved, unwrapped, the heads twisted off, and the liquified insides sucked out. So, Wiggles, how does that appeal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
^^^^^
I'd probably give it a shot, at least once. I really do like that kind of stinky stuff. Admittedly, it's sometimes nice to have a cracker or something salty with it.

DekeThornton posted:

Is lutfisk really that stinky though? Now it might be that I'm fairly used to the smell, so I don't really register it as stinky, but what I Always found off putting about it when I was a Child, Before I learned to like it was the texture.

Lots of people think it's stinky. I like it, though. Makes me think of Christmas.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

LoonShia posted:

What about surstromming?

Surströmmning tastes surprisingly mild, but the aroma is pretty rank.

Stinky tofu is about the same thing, it's surprisingly rounded and mild. And so good at eleven o'clock in the night munched out from underneath a little mountain of chili jam and fresh cilantro, fresh out of the deep fryer, in a little cardboard plate, with a big 2 pint bottle of cold beer, while your daughter finally sleeps on your lap.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Surströmmning tastes surprisingly mild, but the aroma is pretty rank.

Stinky tofu is about the same thing, it's surprisingly rounded and mild. And so good at eleven o'clock in the night munched out from underneath a little mountain of chili jam and fresh cilantro, fresh out of the deep fryer, in a little cardboard plate, with a big 2 pint bottle of cold beer, while your daughter finally sleeps on your lap.

I kinda get the bad stink but good taste thing. I enjoy smelly cheeses which smell rank but taste completely different to how they smell.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Look what I made!

It's a girl, before you start congratulating me on the handsome sideburns.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Sweet, sweet. What was the price per pound?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

What's the going rate for one hour of sitting down while a woman screams nearby?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Scientastic posted:

What's the going rate for one hour of sitting down while a woman screams nearby?

It depends on if you're in Germany or Japan.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

FishBulb posted:

It depends on if you're in Germany or Japan.

I had no idea Pr0k's mum was so cosmopolitan

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Scientastic eat the placenta.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mazel tov!

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
I am in Seoul. Anywhere specific I should go to eat? Down for mostly anything except sannakji. :v:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I am in Seoul. Anywhere specific I should go to eat? Down for mostly anything except sannakji. :v:

Do you want weird, traditional, fusion?

KoreaMegathread is a good source too.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

DontAskKant posted:

Do you want weird, traditional, fusion?

KoreaMegathread is a good source too.

Depends on how weird but probably any/all of those

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Scientastic posted:

Look what I made!

:jiggled::jiggled::jiggled:

Good work.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Seek out Chinese restaurants. Korea has the best, most authentic Chinese food outside of China.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

fart simpson posted:

Seek out Chinese restaurants. Korea has the best, most authentic Chinese food outside of China.

All the best chinese places I know around here are run by koreans

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Same with donut shops.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

Don't really do this though, I'm trolling you. Chinese food in Korea is very bad.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

All the best chinese places I know around here are run by koreans
Japanese, too. Although it seems to vary by type of restaurant---like I've run into fewer Korean-run ramen shops and dim sum places than general Japanese or Chinese restaurants.

Good Thai restaurants always seem to be run by tiny ancient Thai ladies.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I have a new Chinese coworker that just got back from living in Korea for 10 years. His summary of Korea was: "Koreans can't cook. Everything is either mixed with rice or boiled. It's impossible for Koreans to cook Chinese food, but it's easy for Chinese to cook Korean food."

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Depends on how weird but probably any/all of those

Are you in Seoul for a long time or short?

Either way post in the Korea thread to get the goon Google maps and/or join chat.

Can you read or speak any Korean? This will determine how much effort i have to put into suggestions. Kaesong mandu in Insadong is good, Story of the Blue Star is good for drinking food and makgeolli. There are lots of meat buffets, myeongdong gyoja is your knife cut noodle place get the dumplings and extra kimchi too. My favorite kimchi bat a restaurant. Find the pigs feet, jokbal and eat those. There's of course dog, turtle, black chicken, hongeo (that fermented skate I was lamenting). Tons of dried squid and fish everywhere. The area around wangsimni and sindang is famous for gopchang (pig intestine) and sindang is famous for tteokbokki (rice cakes in a spicy sorta sweet chili sauce). Don't know any great rib places off the top of my head. The dalkgalbi places (a braised chicken and vegetables) and jjimdalk (chicken braised in soy sauce) are all fine at chains.

*famous doesn't actually mean much for westerners here usually. So don't think of it as a must see.

Also, Korean food is not solo dining friendly for most things. If I place says you can't eat there alone, insist that your okay with it (assuming you know that there are single servings). If the still won't serve you find another place serving the same drat thing and screw them.

Again, check the Korea megathread in TT. ask for other suggestions and see if you can get dining buddies.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fart simpson posted:

Don't really do this though, I'm trolling you. Chinese food in Korea is very bad.

was gonna say. There are a few chinese restaurants around here run by koreans and they are hilariously bad. like, worse than panda express bad.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

DontAskKant posted:

Are you in Seoul for a long time or short?

Either way post in the Korea thread to get the goon Google maps and/or join chat.

Can you read or speak any Korean? This will determine how much effort i have to put into suggestions. Kaesong mandu in Insadong is good, Story of the Blue Star is good for drinking food and makgeolli. There are lots of meat buffets, myeongdong gyoja is your knife cut noodle place get the dumplings and extra kimchi too. My favorite kimchi bat a restaurant. Find the pigs feet, jokbal and eat those. There's of course dog, turtle, black chicken, hongeo (that fermented skate I was lamenting). Tons of dried squid and fish everywhere. The area around wangsimni and sindang is famous for gopchang (pig intestine) and sindang is famous for tteokbokki (rice cakes in a spicy sorta sweet chili sauce). Don't know any great rib places off the top of my head. The dalkgalbi places (a braised chicken and vegetables) and jjimdalk (chicken braised in soy sauce) are all fine at chains.

*famous doesn't actually mean much for westerners here usually. So don't think of it as a must see.

Also, Korean food is not solo dining friendly for most things. If I place says you can't eat there alone, insist that your okay with it (assuming you know that there are single servings). If the still won't serve you find another place serving the same drat thing and screw them.

Again, check the Korea megathread in TT. ask for other suggestions and see if you can get dining buddies.

We're here for four more days. Don't read or speak Korean at all haha.

Thanks for the info! Also I have no idea where this Korea megathread is because I'm a dumb.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Look what I made!

:tipshat:

Well done! I mean, you did a lot of work to get that. And congratulations on your virility!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
edit : nvm.

congrats on baby!

ps re: mushroom chats, pfifferlings/chanterelles rule. maybe best mushroom.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Scientastic posted:

Look what I made!

Looks nothing like your avatar, are you sure you're the father?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Scientastic posted:

Look what I made!

Congratulations! I'm counting the days myself, she's set for 3 weeks from now, so it could be any time.

(I'm fairly sure that if there is a Hell it's modeled after stores with baby equipment)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Congrats on the little one! She's adorable. Most babies are not.

I can't really cotton on to the sickening sugar binge at breakfast. It really churns my stomach. But then, to be fair, I don't like sweet all that much to begin with. Breakfast is dosa, coconut chatni, sambhar, and spicy mango pickle. Sometimes it's mushy rice with rasam. Or pongal. Idli can gently caress right off, but I can understand breakfasting on it. poo poo's bland as hell. No thanks. Dhokla is a lovely breakfast, as long as you don't ask a gujju to make it, because they drown it in sugar. You've got mustard seed, red chiles, and loving sugar in. Ew. Adai is lovely, but a bit on the hearty side for breakfast.

With regards to American breakfast, I am fond of those little crispy potato thingies. Home fries? Not the hashed browns. Those are too mushy, and not enough crispy. But home fries, I can eat all day (and have). When I ate eggs, I could eat a frittata or a quiche or something, but fried eggs with runny yolks kind of freaked me out. Something about that smell early in the morning. :shudder:

Dim sum is love. There's a restaurant in Chinatown called Buddha Bodai that does really good vegetarian dim sum on the weekends for brunch times (like 10 - 4 pm or so). One of my omnivore friends took me there, because he'd been a few times and fell in love with the food. The dishes that have eggs in are clearly indicated, so you can avoid those if you want.

Hell, sometimes a bowl of miso soup with some mushrooms or tofu or cabbage is quite nice too.

When I was a kid, and saw my friends eating a bowl of sugary cereal for breakfast I was horrified. Where's the hot spicy stuff? Where's the coconut? What the hell, how can you stomach something that sweet at any hour of the day? Or pancakes. You're literally eating cake for breakfast. With sugar syrup (corn syrup?) poured on top, because you're not going to convince me that the "pancake syrup" ever had even a nodding acquaintance with a maple tree.

Puppy can do steel cut oats in the morning, but I find them a bit challenging. Grits, however, are lovely. My BFF's mum buys this stone ground grits from this fancy store somewhere (a pound of the stuff runs about $6), and makes grits from them. Very nice. I'm also down with a really crusty sourdough, fried in olive oil, and topped with sliced tomato and ground black pepper (and basil, if I can track some down).

There was a fresh noodle place in Philly that did a vegetarian pho (we just asked them to leave off the egg) which was REALLY good after that 1 1/2 hour bus ride down there at 10:30 in the morning. That, with endless cups of jasmine tea was heaven.

Oh god, I have become a picky eater. :O

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

dino. posted:

Oh god, I have become a picky eater. :O

Well, you are vegetarian. That leaves half of all available food off the table right there. :)

And yes, "pancake syrup" really is just basically brown corn syrup. There is some flavoring added to it, but I wouldn't call it Maple.

As far as starting every morning off with a bowl of sugary cereal, it's not that weird if you spent most of your life doing it.

And yeah, those little chunks of seasoned potatoes are home fries (or Potatoes O'Brien if you add peppers and onions). Some places might also call them breakfast potatoes or skillet potatoes.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Well, you are vegetarian. That leaves half of all available food off the table right there. :)

Vegan.

that is the most meta of picky eaterisms for sure tho

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CzarChasm posted:

And yes, "pancake syrup" really is just basically brown corn syrup. There is some flavoring added to it, but I wouldn't call it Maple.
It's something dino. should be familiar with: cardamom. That's what they use to fake maple flavor for those horrible syrups. Waste of potential in my opinion.

Also he's vegan. That's even pickier than vegetarian.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

Vegan.

that is the most meta of picky eaterisms for sure tho

Fruitarians are even worse. They only eat those parts of a plant that fall off.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Scientastic posted:

Look what I made!

Congratulations. I've got a boy that's supposed to be ready by Christmas. But I'm not allowed to peak until then. This meant I had to get a new range. One that would work, and might help cut down on my swearing. It won't, I'm British. So from a Sears Outlet I picked up this slightly dented in a place no one will ever see beauty for $500 less than list.

Different sized burners, broiler at the top of the oven, bread proofing setting. All I wanted within my price range (which apparently also included a dishwasher I'd not heard about until we got to the store). But there's one thing:

What the gently caress America?

Are chicken nuggets so ubiquitous that brand new ovens need a setting just for them? Pizza, I can understand, but Chicken Nuggets?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Finally, a bread-proof oven.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bartolimu posted:

It's something dino. should be familiar with: cardamom. That's what they use to fake maple flavor for those horrible syrups. Waste of potential in my opinion.

Also he's vegan. That's even pickier than vegetarian.

Are you sure? I thought they used fenugreek seeds.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Are you sure? I thought they used fenugreek seeds.

Yes. Fenugreek. That's what I said, before I typed it wrong.

This is what a 4:1 work hours:sleep hours ratio does to me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo a chicken nugget button? I've seen that kind of thing on microwaves but never an oven. That's just sad.

I bet you could wipe the writing off with acetone or something. Then stencil on something awesome, like roast ortolan bunting.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bartolimu posted:

Yes. Fenugreek. That's what I said, before I typed it wrong.

This is what a 4:1 work hours:sleep hours ratio does to me.

Now I want cardamom syrup on pancakes. Thanks for the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Now I want cardamom syrup on pancakes. Thanks for the idea.

Ginger cardamom simple syrup is rather easy to make and extremely delicious.