Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Sounds pretty typical for DF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ha, I bet everyone thought a bowyer would be useless. Bowyers are the best!

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Angela Christine posted:

Ha, I bet everyone thought a bowyer would be useless. Bowyers are the best!

Yep. I may have to build a butcher shop early to take care of the alligator that you ended the suffering of.

Wordbird Raven
Sep 7, 2011

I'm not what you would call an artist.
Nice one - I've been looking forward to an LP of this edition of DF. Alligator-punching and weirdly specific gods: a promising start, I think.

Loving those Stonesense trees, too.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Being 150th on the list should make me annoyed I might not get a chance, but I know dwarves will start dropping like flies soon enough so I'm not worried.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I was thinking the same thing, being fiftieth. Before I realized that that's like 3-4 waves of migrants.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I finished reading Fallout 2 and decided to check the board for a new thing to follow and was just lucky enough to see this. Really excited for whatever crazy things happen and this is the first time I've gotten on the list in a spot number < 200. No one has died yet so maybe we won't be murdered by trees after all...

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Farseli posted:

No one has died yet so maybe we won't be murdered by trees after all...

Ha ha ha ha ha.

No.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Is it weird that the only thing I really want out of DF lets play is for someone to play out the lyrics to 'Hall of the Mountain King'?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drakenel posted:

Is it weird that the only thing I really want out of DF lets play is for someone to play out the lyrics to 'Hall of the Mountain King'?

I think we can do better than that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I'll just leave this dwarf pubic hair here in case anyone ever needs a new avatar.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TildeATH posted:

I'll just leave this dwarf pubic hair here in case anyone ever needs a new avatar.

His copper merkin is neatly combed

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Upon closer inspection (:iit:) it's really ginger.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Third Journal Entry
I am not sure how much left we have to drink.

Reading is our bookkeeper, but he does not have an office yet, so he cannot take a detailed inventory yet. In our time of setting up, though, I sadly shake my head and say we should start the still only when we have to rush to the river and drink water to slake our thirst. Hopefully this will not happen.

~~

The miners have discovered some low-value gems while excavating the area to store useless trade goods. We also have a trade depot ready, in case the Rhythmic Ropes decides to send out a trade delegation.

Also, I need to think about making individual rooms for ourselves. Scamtank's snoring wakes me up constantly.

Rulush the Heavenly Clam visits this place often, it appears.

~~
There is a section scratched out here.
~~

... I just beat up a rattlesnake with my bare hands. My god, being in the swamp has gotten to me... Espilae ran out with some logs, made an impromptu butcher's shop, and made food out of the rattlesnake I strangled. Waste not, want not, I guess?

~~
Summer has arrived on the calendar.
~~

Time to start laying out the fortress proper -- what we were doing is merely a hole in the cliff...

This will be the working level. It's expandable, and the rooms that are being dug out can work as both offices and workshops. Across the hall is the warehouse, which is also expandable.

This will be the Great Hall and the relaxation level. Also included will be a food storepile with a passage heading to the fields up on the Entry Level. Possible further uses for this level could include a statue garden and rooms for the nobility.

And below that we have the habitat level, a place where every dwarf may have a room. Spaces are big enough for the average dwarf, yet small enough so that rooms pack easily.

Plus a project a few levels below I'm not ready to tell anyone about yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not to be rude, but the current images are a little bit wider than my screen.

Is the interface thing that decouples map and menu fonts working in this version yet?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tunicate posted:

Not to be rude, but those images are wider than my screen

are you on a mobile or a computer from 1995?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah, I've got a laptop with a pretty average 1366x768 monitor.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Splode posted:

are you on a mobile or a computer from 1995?

Tables break at over 1000 pixels for an image, and some of us browse this stuff at work, where big monitors are not a spending priority.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RIP tables. We hardly knew ye.

The true horror of a fortress. Running out of booze.

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Man, it's been a long while since I fiddled with DF. The multi-level trees look sweet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dire posted:

Man, it's been a long while since I fiddled with DF. The multi-level trees look sweet.

They look great. They drop leaves and stuff seasonally. The first time red started spreading across my map I thought it was fire, nope, just red autumn leaves. In some biomes the meadows erupt into seasonal flowers. So cool. Mechanically, the multi-level trees drop tons of wood. If you are in a biome that has wood at all you'll have no bed shortages. In a forest biome you can have so much charcoal from wood that finding magma isn't really a priority.

Unfortunately, the big trees sometimes lose branches or something that triggers the "collapse" detection and does a zoom and pause. This can also happen while cutting trees. Annoying. Worse still, if you've mined out the layer right below the surface, the "collapsing" wood can punch holes through the surface just as though it was a stone collapse. Trees! :argh:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The residents of Fogwall continue to express a fondness for beating the poo poo out of reptiles. I wonder if they'll move on to mammals or giant insects anytime soon. Maybe they'll even get to thrash something sapient.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since we can have dwarven lotharios now, I'm excited to see how the gender imbalance plays out with the inevitable childsplosion.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Ain't nothing like some cajun-style rattlesnake gumbo, I guar-on-tee.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Fourth Entry

The discovery of fire clay in the relaxation level means we can move our farms down deeper and not have them at such a vulnerable spot at the fortress entrance. I will inform Espilae of this.

Horrors... what I designated to be the residential level was made of clay as well. This will not work as all. I'm telling the miners to scrub this floor and move the plans down. I will not be sleeping in a room of clay when there is the potential of sleeping in a room of stone!

~~
16th Malachite
I am actually writing down the date today as it appears that some dwarves have left the more established cities to come to this little hole-in-the-cliff.

They are:

Our population now stands at 13, which now includes two married couples. I wonder if their children will come later.

~~
The dry season has come.
Autumn has arrived on the calendar.

~~

14th Limestone
Traders! And an outpost liason! I guess there must have been a change in power in the Administrators Guild back in the capital -- the bitch would never have sent traders out here, in a place that was supposed to be our unmarked grave.

~~

I woke up to find the outpost liason sitting on the foot of the bed I was in.

"Uh, how is it going?" I asked him.

"The world is the same as ever."

"Ah... nothing about anything back home? Any shakeups in the Administrators Guild?"

"Ah yes... she was found dead back in the summer, with 'I AM NOT YOUR TOY' carved into her forehead... the captain of the guard calls it an accident."

"An awful specific accident..."

"Yes. Anyway--"

"OI! WHERE'S THE TRADER OF THIS ELFHOLE?!" screamed a voice outside the dormatory.

"I'll talk to you later," I said as I rushed to the depot.

~~
10th Sandstone

More migrants are coming...

Our fortress population is now 21.

~~
We have finalized an agreement with the mountainhomes. They are asking for:

and we are requesting mostly booze.
~~

We have found native platinum while digging out living quarters! Now if only we can get the beds made, but our carpenter is finding excuse after excuse.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure there is a more useless (but healthy) dwarf than I am.

I'm still pretty useless though, look at those attributes. "Quick to tire" "flimsy" "bad intuition" "clumsy kinesthetic sense." I would make a terrible draftee, and I'm pretty sure quick to tire makes me pretty useless for most anything else. Plus I'm a GLASSMAKER. The SECOND ONE.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm still pretty useless though, look at those attributes. "Quick to tire" "flimsy" "bad intuition" "clumsy kinesthetic sense." I would make a terrible draftee, and I'm pretty sure quick to tire makes me pretty useless for most anything else. Plus I'm a GLASSMAKER. The SECOND ONE.

Does the 'exercise room' thing still work? (That is, constructing a pump crank with nothing attached and making a dwarf do nothing but turn the crank for a year or so?)

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ninjewtsu posted:

You can never have enough glassmakers. poo poo is free money. And free murder. For instance, in my current fort. Ospram was the sole giant in the world. The only one of its kind, sprung into existence in a time before time. He was a monster, wandering the world and pillaging and murdering wherever he went. He seized whatever took his fancy, and scores died in the process. This went on for centuries.

One day, he came upon the young fortress of Stakeweight in the Mirrors of Baldness. With a roar, he hurled himself at the gates. And promptly fell into my green glass serrated disc Cuisinart. All that's left is the cleanup.

For the record, he made it alive through two layers of disc traps before succumbing to the third.

Epee Em
Jan 16, 2010

:fuckthis:
:v: Now hopefully no idiotic maniac incites the Planepacked glitch multiple times while bumbling through over 60 dwarven deaths this time around.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

At least you have a mighty husband.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My husband is the gooniest of goons and I was probably drunk when I married him

It's actually kind of funny how he got almost every possible negative related to communicating with others

No empathy, social skills, or linguistic ability is the trifecta of goon

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 7, 2014

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking forward to watching this as it happens!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ninjewtsu posted:

My husband is the gooniest of goons and I was probably drunk when I married him

It's actually kind of funny how he got almost every possible negative related to communicating with others

No empathy, social skills, or linguistic ability is the trifecta of goon

Yes, but on the plus side, we both "often feel lustful", I have "an active imagination", and you don't mind "wearing something special sometimes". So that could have been it...

I also note that I have an very odd relationship with spiders.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Do you happen to know where I can find a legend/key for all of the tiles? It's much easier to understand than the original ASCII art, but for some things I have no idea.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm looking pretty good other than the weak willpower. Though I'm not sure how likely creating a work of art is going to be as a farmer...

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tunicate posted:

Is the interface thing that decouples map and menu fonts working in this version yet?

Considering that DFHack is clearly running in the background, suggesting we're playing version 40.10? Yeah, it does.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Does that mean weight isn't measured in palm trees anymore and that the genders aren't sack and pendant? Weird.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

Yes, but on the plus side, we both "often feel lustful", I have "an active imagination", and you don't mind "wearing something special sometimes". So that could have been it...

I also note that I have an very odd relationship with spiders.

Spiders that bite: loving awesome

Spiders that jump: oh gently caress no

This seems reasonable to me

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Any chance I could get my dwarf's job preference changed to military of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Final update of my reign will be posted tomorrow sometime this week.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 11, 2014

• Locked thread