Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

It's cute that you somehow seem to think anyone in the private sector is somehow less retarded about computers than people in academia.

I'd be hard pressed to choose any one industry with a higher number of computer retards, but real estate and academia are neck in neck on this one. Most people just accept that they don't know what they're doing and I'm cool with that. I'd rather deal with people that accept they don't know what they're talking about rather than the ones that are dangerous enough to get into control panel and that means they know everything, ever. It's been close to 8 years since I was GM at regional computer place inc, but I'd gladly take those customers over our current ones. Either that or maybe it's a sign of the times that people think they know everything and believe that if anything happens it isn't their fault? What's the general consensus for you people out there in corporate tech land, is this just an industry wide thing now? People with issues didn't use to be this annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

freelop posted:

I hope you mean exhaust and not pet :ohdear:

I wish. Our old cat with liver problems that needs special food has been missing 48 hours and she's never been gone longer than 12 before.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 225 days!)

So anybody want to buy the NOS aftermarket (CP) Pinto mudflaps I haven't put on eBay yet? They come with sheetmetal mounting screws! :v:

I still have a couple DD-WRT capable 802.11n routers NIB, and a 32GB Nexus 7.

Or, a fuckload of Kindle Keyboard Assemble-Yourself kits minus screen? Fun for the whole family!

Cakefool posted:

I wish. Our old cat with liver problems that needs special food has been missing 48 hours and she's never been gone longer than 12 before.

I hope she shows up, but this rarely ends well. :ohdear:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I've done IT at some of the worst schools in the United States (Beecher Community Schools in Michigan, famous for having a 6 year old bring a gun to school and shoot another classmate) and the private sector is no better when it comes to users. Budget issues are probably more of a concern in schools than the private sector, depending on how wealthy the area you're working is, but that's it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Viggen posted:

Gee thanks.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Cakefool posted:

Gee thanks.

Do you have anything like Home Again, or Pet Alert? I was trying to find one for you and my google-fu has failed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The vets run a central directory and she's microchipped, I'll ring the rspca and the council tomorrow, see if either of them have picked up a dead cat in the last couple of days.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm so sorry Cakefool. :(

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Viggen posted:

So anybody want to buy the NOS aftermarket (CP) Pinto mudflaps I haven't put on eBay yet? They come with sheetmetal mounting screws! :v:

I still have a couple DD-WRT capable 802.11n routers NIB, and a 32GB Nexus 7.

Or, a fuckload of Kindle Keyboard Assemble-Yourself kits minus screen? Fun for the whole family!

I'll pm you on the routers.

Also, some cars just make you HAPPY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLaAcRFTfs

Gingerbread House Music fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 5, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Sorry about your cat dude. Not a cat guy but I lost my poo poo when my dog ran off for a few hours.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey she could still come back, maybe she got trapped in a shed or garage somewhere and she'll be let out, stranger things have happened.

Anyway, better news, our tenants are looking into buying the house we're renting to them, not definite yet but that would be great. I'll be able to get a 3 bed with a garage.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

keykey posted:

I'd be hard pressed to choose any one industry with a higher number of computer retards, but real estate and academia are neck in neck on this one.

The automotive industry is pretty awful too, at least on the sales side. My coworkers here are marginally better than the ones I had in North Dakotatill using pen, paper, and calculators to keep track of customers and crunch numbers on deals. At least now my new dealership has an IT department so I'm no longer needed for basic computer help.

Since some of our salespeople are having trouble (AKA they're too lazy) to put customer information into our sales software and mark the customers as sold, the corporate office recounted our sold tallies for the month and I just missed a 12% closing rate. There goes my bonus money. :smith:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Cakefool posted:

Hey she could still come back, maybe she got trapped in a shed or garage somewhere and she'll be let out, stranger things have happened.

Anyway, better news, our tenants are looking into buying the house we're renting to them, not definite yet but that would be great. I'll be able to get a 3 bed with a garage.

When I was a kid we had a cat that never went outside, it managed to get lost for 6 weeks before someone found it

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Cakefool posted:

We live in the country so cats come and go fairly frequently. There's a Russian blue that decided to adopt us and lived here for close to 3 years. He disappeared in January, we figured he either got ran over or he moved on in any case we thought he was gone. He showed back up 2 months ago out of the blue meowing at the back door and hangs out around the barn, he uses the Kubota tractor seat as a bed now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I just hope they don't live near any ATMs. :ohdear:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Phone posted:

"Physical abuse is cool"
-Darchangel, 2014

Also keykey, you're a giant baby.

NOT what I said, stop trolling. Discipline is not abuse. The touchy-feely poo poo that they're trying to use now for a while isn't turning out stellar members of society, is it?

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah why not, I turned out ok.

What he said. I learned not to do bad/stupid things from negative reinforcement, until I was mentally mature enough to understand non-physical, non-immediate consequences.

Phone posted:

Nah, the issue at hand is always this quarter's profits. Worker productivity is at an all time high, record profits are posted every quarter, and only if people would stop being so lazy and get a poo poo job then we wouldn't have any of this! The problem is more base and systemic than you think and it really comes down to the straight up greed of corporations.

I do agree with you on the vocational stuff, but you're shooting the messenger by placing the blame at academia's feet.

This, I agree with wholeheartedly. We're working harder, for less money (adjusted) than our parent's generation. I've got an article somewhere that does the math. The fact that we have more stuff doesn't mean we make more money - the "stuff" has gotten insanely cheap compared to 20-50 years ago. Just look at the price of a 19" color TV in 1975. It was more than a 42" is now, and it was in 1975 dollars (or something like that - i don't have the article handy, it's hardcopy).

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Darchangel posted:

NOT what I said, stop trolling. Discipline is not abuse. The touchy-feely poo poo that they're trying to use now for a while isn't turning out stellar members of society, is it?

This, I agree with wholeheartedly. We're working harder, for less money (adjusted) than our parent's generation.

The decline of unions in our country hasn't helped the situation. I know they are some times not the best thing in the world, but wages have not kept up with inflation in other areas. A car back in 1970's dollars were running around 5000 bucks, and a house was not nearly as expensive as it is today.

I know I don't know peoples financial house, but I can't see how a family of 4 making around 52000 a year can afford a 185k house, 2 newish cars, feed, clothe and raise kids on that small amount of money.

Also my g/fs sisters kids are hellions and don't know what its like to be told no. I told them one day to stop it and act up. They froze and looked at me like I just beat their dog. Then her sister tells me we don't yell at the kids because thats bad for their self esteem. :rolleyes: Yeah, like your doing them favors in life.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Why do I feel like I've done this before...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The decline of unions in our country hasn't helped the situation. I know they are some times not the best thing in the world, but wages have not kept up with inflation in other areas. A car back in 1970's dollars were running around 5000 bucks, and a house was not nearly as expensive as it is today.

I know I don't know peoples financial house, but I can't see how a family of 4 making around 52000 a year can afford a 185k house, 2 newish cars, feed, clothe and raise kids on that small amount of money.

In the '90s and early '00s, I was strongly against unions, believing that they had a valid reason to exist when they were formed, but by the '90s they were unnecessary, since workers weren't in physical jeopardy.

Things have changed again in the last decade, though, and I can absolutely support another rise of unions. gently caress the bankers, gently caress corporate think,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQthFDpYCys

quote:

Also my g/fs sisters kids are hellions and don't know what its like to be told no. I told them one day to stop it and act up. They froze and looked at me like I just beat their dog. Then her sister tells me we don't yell at the kids because thats bad for their self esteem. :rolleyes: Yeah, like your doing them favors in life.

Also, gently caress kid's "self esteem" issues. Adult self esteem doesn't gel until puberty and by then, their actions and reactions are set. Don't let them act like loving rule-less monsters as children and I think you'll have the best chance on them not being monsters as they get older.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Emergency call OT tonight and OT tomorrow. Gimme the loot!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Things have changed again in the last decade, though, and I can absolutely support another rise of unions. gently caress the bankers, gently caress corporate think,

Well, the sad part is that people will grovel to the corporate thinking that the company is "looking out for them" and cheer on the CEO and all that.

Folks I have news for you. Large companies could give two fucks about you, your just a liability, an expense and a number to them. I am for one lucky that I am aware of my companies stance, they out right hate us.

The only place you may feel valued is a small business, but once you get above a company with 150-200 employees, you are turning into a number.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

All US states still allow corporal punishment in the home, and 19 states still allow it in schools. And yes, there is a correlation between murder rates, incarceration rates and the rate of poverty in those states, sharply contrasting those states that allow it in schools and states that do not. All the three mentioned rates are a lot higher in states that allow it.

It's almost like hurting people when they behave badly is in fact worse for everyone in the long run.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Y'all are being dumb and need your assed beat.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's almost like hurting people when they behave badly is in fact worse for everyone in the long run.

Thank god we can get preached morality lessons from other countries. :patriot:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

In the '90s and early '00s, I was strongly against unions, believing that they had a valid reason to exist when they were formed, but by the '90s they were unnecessary, since workers weren't in physical jeopardy.

Considering the inherent power imbalances between Capital and Labor, believing that unions aren't necessary because they have served their purpose by ensuring worker safety is really short sighted. The only time unions will not be necessary is when the workers are owners.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Darchangel posted:

What he said. I learned not to do bad/stupid things from negative reinforcement, until I was mentally mature enough to understand non-physical, non-immediate consequences.

Just because you don't understand something, it doesn't mean that it isn't effective or a not a good idea. The mechanisms behind child development and whether or not a child was spanked as a child are well known.

Also, I have a strong feeling that csb was being facetious; however, I don't want to share or misrepresent his childhood.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Viggen posted:

Thank god we can get preached morality lessons from other countries. :patriot:

Comes with the bagage of owning SAABs. Didn't you read the part of the manual that says "don't beat your children"?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Also, I have a strong feeling that csb was being facetious; however, I don't want to share or misrepresent his childhood.

I wish to not speak much of it, but theres a fine line between busting a childs rear end and breaking a couple ribs.

I know the fine line, Most people (including my parents) don't.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

rscott posted:

Considering the inherent power imbalances between Capital and Labor, believing that unions aren't necessary because they have served their purpose by ensuring worker safety is really short sighted. The only time unions will not be necessary is when the workers are owners.

There is no simple answer. Ultimately, there should be no unions because each person should work for their own wage (some higher, some lower, depending on capability/drive/etc.). However, that is in an ideal society lacking exploitation. I believe that in the mid-'90s we were close enough to that ideal that there was enough opportunity to support yourself without the need of a union's backing.

We have slipped a long way from that place, though, and the rise of unions is something that needs to happen. Simply from a wage disparity viewpoint, it's far too simple to prove exploitation.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Comes with the bagage of owning SAABs. Didn't you read the part of the manual that says "don't beat your children"?

Owning SAABs is what drove me to beat my children. Then I took a job in academia and thank god I have tenure now so I can beat yours, too.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w-cUV5K510

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Viggen posted:

Owning SAABs is what drove me to beat my children.

I can believe that. :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I don't have any kids to beat the poo poo out of, if anyone wants me to come over and beat theirs I will.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slow is Fast posted:

I don't have any kids to beat the poo poo out of, if anyone wants me to come over and beat theirs I will.

I've something you can beat.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I wish to not speak much of it, but theres a fine line between busting a childs rear end and breaking a couple ribs.

I know the fine line, Most people (including my parents) don't.

Spanking you own child and other people spanking your child are two different things. Sorry, but no one is going to physically discipline my child, especially if I choose not to.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

I've something you can beat.

nope

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6AXjNcTPU

So, new Roadkill features the General Mayhem Charger doing proper rally racing. gently caress yes :flashfap:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS6AXjNcTPU

So, new Roadkill features the General Mayhem Charger doing proper rally racing. gently caress yes :flashfap:

I've watched it twice. The rally footage alone is worth it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My brother was in an accident 4 weeks ago saturday and has been in the hospital since. His jeep was totalled, and he spent most of his time browsing craigslist looking for cars. He found a bmw E46 that he liked so he convinced my father to drive him to the sellers house and used a walker to look at the car. Its a 99 and its in mostly good condition except its missing a rocker panel and the hood emblem is lovely looking. Hes coming home on Tuesday so I just picked up this from ebay as a welcome home gift. :3:

I tried to find a silver passenger rocker panel, but couldnt find one in the right color yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jesus you guys got all D&D up in here. Predictably, you all did a better job of it than D&D ever could. AI best forum :glomp:

• Locked thread