Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Update will be posted by the end of the day.

Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Chapter 26: Widening Rifts

Harry's deployed with the rest of ZEUTH in his golden Sumo. Quattro says that it takes a certain amount of confidence to pilot the gaudy machines, so the man must have serious skill.

Horace has cleaned the nanoskin shreds out of the thruster veins in the Turn A's legs, enabling it to fly; he and Astonage have also stocked its chest up with weapons. Loran wonders if it's finally reached its original power, but there's definitely a lot more hidden in the robot - like all that data on the Angels.

Harry makes a squad with Loran.

Harry still expects an answer, but it can wait until after the battle, and until then, he can't have Loran dying on him. Besides, aiding our mission is his job.

So here's the plan: there's a small natural tunnel that goes along the valley wall. We need someone to pass through it while we draw the Lohengrin's fire, then disable the cannon. But the tunnel will only fit a machine the size of, say, Shinn's Core Splendor. Athrun makes sure Shinn's got a handle on it. As the Captain, he wouldn't have assigned Shinn to the mission if he didn't believe in Shinn.

Yassaba yells at Shinn not to screw up, and Shinn snaps back. Is he going to be okay? Eiji offers to take the G Attacker in instead, but Toga won't hear it.

The Lohengrin's starting to charge, so Shinn jets off.

: (Shinn, just focus on what you have to do...)
: (And I'll try to forget about Four...)
: ...
: Don't you have anything to say to Kamille?
: There's nothing I can say. This is Kamille's problem to deal with.
: That's pretty mean.
: It's not my job to be nice, but that still hurts coming from you.
: Well, I'm glad you think it's a good time to crack jokes.
: (What's going on between 2nd. Lt. Reccoa and Lt. Quattro?)

The Federation deploys its defensive formation and the Lohengrin, which is an impressive sight now that we're looking down its barrel. Ray's perfectly confident Shinn will hold up his end, though. The Lohengrin takes a minute to charge up, according to Horace's intel; all we need to do its draw the enemy's attention.

So the objective is to beat all enemies, in four turns if you want the Battle Mastery. Don't think this is an easy stage! The Lohengrin is a big threat, and you'll see why in a minute. This one is another hard level.

The ∀ has gotten a little upgrade. First, it can fly, which is always useful. More importantly it's gained a new attack. The Beam Drive Unit, a post movement ALL attack. The Beam Saber also got an upgrade to 1-2 Range, so with the Linear Seat it's a much more handy attack.

Loran's the only one who gets close to any enemies this round, he's not in much danger due to being able to pretty much always have Focus up.

: (I should be happy that the Moonrace and Plant are entering an alliance...)
: (But it means the Moonrace will have to take a more active stance in the war.)
: (Maybe the White Doll and I are facing the same question...)

I end the turn and...

It's impossible to dodge the sheer power of Lohengrin Gate's namesake; 2/3/4 random units, depending on difficulty, have their HP cut in half. Watch your battleships! It immediately starts charging again; since it takes a minute to do so, it'll fire once per turn. This was always the plan, though; we have to bet on Shinn!

Behold the stage's gimmick. Half a dozen losses have come from a battleship getting it and thus swarmed and destroyed. Nothing I can do other then adapt. The battleships are staying in the back this stage, too risky for them to get involved.

Guys swarm Loran, but with Focus up they can't touch him. Harry Ord, on the other hand, is untouchable as his natrual state.

Oh hey once every other enemy in range attacks Loran, somebody moves to hit someone else! Of course, it's Quattro. So you know, not going to work.

Clear off some grunts and Bright learns a new level of Support Attack and Snipe(20)

Which gives Setsuko room to hit these guys in Tri Formation with a Tri charge of her own.

: The Virgola's a little bit faster, a little bit stronger...
: As I improve, the Virgola responds!

I guess with two dice rolls at 80% odds one miss isn't bad...

Move up Kouji...

And finish the group with Harry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsvnblB-pFo

Then Athrun does what he does best. Namely smash Squads with Tris and ALLs.

: (Just focus on what I'm fighting...)
: (If I die, I'll never get to see Four again...)

And then Amuro finishes off another guy on to the enemy phase.

:sigh:

With Athrun having had his HP halved twice now, he's a prime target for the mooks. Granted, they can't really touch him.

Life is just not fair.

Not fair at all.

See the spot where I think I'll reset?

It's a miracle.

Then those things start moving up.

On my turn a casting of Vigor helps a lot, because I'd rather not have the Minerva shot down.

Good enough job Toga.

I don't bother moving the battleships, just take potshots at weakened grunts.

The enemies are starting to get a little dodgy, so I have Maria use Attune on Toshiya.

Boss casts Invincible and Guts because I'd rather not have him die.

Kappei bruns a Strike and leaves one enemy squad near dead.

See how hard this mission is? It's really easy to lose someone because with that cannon suddenly glancing hits are a big deal when your HP is quartered.

At least now I won't have to worry about enemy TRI attacks.

Toshiya even learns Spirit(30) from it!

It's clean up time before the bigger nastier ones show up.

Talia learns Guard(40)

Thank you range boosting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnwHSxvPMHU

Kouji's ready to knock this one down with some help

Tetsuya hits Level 6 Prevail, which means it's now crossed the point I think there it's actually going to be useful.

Quattro clears out another leader and leaves the easy pickings squadmates behind.

Which Amuro leaves the remaining one for counter-kill fodder.

Darn it Boss.

Of course target the weakened Battleship.

Thankfully the King Beal survives and the weakened enemies are taken care of.

Kouji's targeted too, but his Prevail is well in range to make sure not much can seriously hurt him. Gets Mazin Power going to boot.

He's even somehow dodging, hilariously enough.

Mazin Power is hilarious.

Back to my turn, let's take a look at this new thing.

OK New Federation. Are you going to admit you're the bad guys now. Because you have giant chimera-spider mechs with massive claws. I mean, seriously. However, these things are pretty tough, and I'll probably have to get them on the counter kills. Which means I need to be able to blast them, their barriers, and their squaddies fast. Which means TRIs. Thankfully they're in Center Formation, which Tri-Formation gets a damage bonus against!

Give them a good blasting Setsuko!

Great job.

And then Amuro leaves this one for the counter kill.

Mazin Power boosted Double Burning Fire is hilarious.

And more grunts are out of the picture. This brings up Toga to 130 Will but...

It's about time for Sandman to give the Gravion order, but he's nowhere to be heard from. Mizuki wonders if he knows what's happening between Toga and Eiji.

No God Gravion this stage. Sorry.

Time for another shot at these things.

And problem mostly solved.

Harry will continue to weaken this one and he deserves more videos because he's Harry Ord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqLLVr9jaNE
Hah. It hit Loran but it didn't actually do any damage hilarious.

Kamille finishes off one of them.

With Accel Kappei finishes off another.

And finally, Athrun.

:toot:

The Lohengrin Gate still has firepower up its sleeve. We might stand a chance with that cannon out of the picture...

But the Gells-Ghe aren't about to give us the chance. They surround and pin down the Minerva as the cannon charges once more...

But the cannon is stopped by a charge from Yassaba, who's fed up of sitting around. He's got Corin in the gunner's seat! He's changed his tune on the Gundam and now thinks it's a kickass hero who defends the innocent, or something. (Kiel can't believe it's the man she knows.)

The little robot can't destroy the cannon itself, but it did buy just enough time for Shinn! The Minerva quickly deploys the Gundam parts and the Force Silhouette, and Shinn takes out the Lohengrin for good. (Corin cheers for the Gundam's dashing entrance. It's not a demon after all!)

Yassaba, his mission done, drives off with Corin. Setsuko and Loran wonder what the deal is, but at least he's doing fine. Perhaps, wonders Kiel, seeing Shinn and Loran fight for good freed him from the Gundam's Curse.

Anyway, the cannon's down; we just have to clean up the rest of the defense to finish our mission.

: You built this huge cannon here, brought your war to this place...
: You're the reason this war won't end!
: Shinn...

Guess who's weakened battleships are now surrounded? Mine! Kill me.

At least a casting of Vigor might keep the King Beal alive.

Might as well snipe it.

That works.

You're up Shinn.

: Kids like Stella only exist because the Federation won't give up its war!
: If it weren't for you, Stella wouldn't have to fight!

Good job there.

Why.

Aaaaaaaaa getting Toga shot down is a Loss Condition! OK I barely make it to the next turn.

Why are you so cruel to me SRWZ, why.

This is suffering.

So cast all the Trusts.

Let's face it though, these things are fresh while my guys are at max Will, and since I can heal up now without worry about the cannon there isn't much of a problem. Amuro just knocked this guy to 1500 HP in one round.

Comparing Setsuko and Amuro, Setsuko does more damage per hit, but Amuro can take out a single target better with Attack Again. Setsuko does do better against entire Squads and she has innate Support Attack which is great.

Basically I two-shot them all.

Now that the soldiers are all gone, Shinn turns his guns on the facility. Loran flies in to stop him; they've surrendered, haven't they?

: They're Federation! They're enemies of ZAFT and of the Moonrace!
: Maybe they were, but they're still human beings!
: Maybe you don't know their names or what they look like, but they're alive! They have lives!
: Loran's right. You did well today, but the battle has ended.
: Shinn...
: Take a good look, Toga. What Shinn did is exactly what you did in Hong Kong.
: Not at all.
: What he did was attack an enemy that could not fight back. A mere waste of resources.
: Did you listen to a word Loran said, rear end in a top hat?
: Please... please, stop...
: Cut it out, you two! We've got incoming from above!
: Th-those are...

Zeravire! So they did get brought through the quake; they must have been quietly watching the whole time! Shinn forms up with Harry and Loran; against these things, it's best to fight together. Likewise, Toga decides we can't wait for Sandman and gives the order to combine!

: What's the matter, Eiji? Something wrong with the G-Attacker?
: I can't do it.
: What?
: I can't do it! I won't trust myself to this guy!
: Eiji!
: Then combination would be futile regardless. We'll continue fighting separately.
:You don't even care about anything but efficiency, do you? Are you seriously a robot or what?
: G-Attacker, just remember that it was you who refused to combine.
: Yeah, I'll remember! Let's just get this over with!

Oh boy.

That's just grand! More random reinforcements!

Fortunately, they're low on Will and in Center Formation.

The SUMO has a post-move TRI, which is handy.

Loran learns another level of Support Attack.

Easy enough, and the enemy phase comes.

: We saw these things in Toga's and Eiji's world, and now they show up here, too!
: But they're not touching this world if we've got anything to say about it!

: You came all the way down here, Zeravire? But now that you're on Earth, we'll take you on!
: Be careful, Kappei! We don't know what they're after! Don't get too aggressive!

And of course one targets Toga.

: We, the Gran Knights, will destroy the Zeravire! That's what I exist for!
: Eiji, just fight. You're going to get killed if you don't focus.
: Yeah, fine! But this is the last time!
: Eiji...

I think you turned out OK.

Come my turn again the Zeravire get blown up. Shinn can put on the hurt.

Blowing up more gets Luna to learn a new spirit command!

* Rouse(40) - Increases the Will of all pilots in the Squad by 5

: Zeravires! You think they're gone, and they pick a time like this to drop back in!
: Then it's up to us to beat them!
: (What are they after, though? Were they planning to pick us off in an out-of-the-way place like this?)

Reccoa learns Cheer(40)

Heizaemon picks up another level of Commander.

And done...

It seems obvious that if the Zeravire came out into the middle of nowhere to attack us, they must be after Gravion in particular. (Thinks Heizaemon, Sandman's battle is about to reach its climax.)

Anyway, we won; now we can deal with all we've been putting off. Eiji and Toga are still not talking to each other; on the other hand, Athrun wants to see Shinn after docking.

"This battle," ruminates Heine, "has opened rifts we cannot ignore."

Athrun hits Shinn. Shinn insists he was "saving" those people, so Athrun slaps him again. "This is war. You are not a hero. You are not in a position to make your own judgments! You have power, so keep that power in mind!"

The others understand why Athrun did it, but Toshiya wonders if it'll have the right effect. Shinn is... a little unstable, to say the least; there's a good chance he'll just explode, or go off and sulk. It's the flip side of how brilliantly happy he was after that battle near Orb. He's fighting for the joy of protecting, but does it always work that away?

"He's a fool," mutters Tetsuya. But as he's jumped on, he adds, "that makes him innocent. And those who act bravest are the ones holding the most inside them."

The problem with Shinn is that normally, Kamille would be there for him. But right now, Kamille has more on his mind.

Meanwhile, Loran and Kiel are seeing off our new friends. Actually, Horace wants to stick with ZEUTH, since he's still fascinated by our machines. Guen promises to speak to the captains for him.

That leaves just Harry, Loran, and Kiel; Harry once again asks what Diana is doing here, and Kiel repeats that she's Kiel. Either way, his mission should be to protect Diana - and those Diana puts her trust in.

"Understood, Kiel Heim. My duty as a soldier of the Royal Guard is to defend Queen Diana."

That means he must trust this Kiel, as ever, to Loran; can he? "With my life," Loran swears.

Teteth has apparently been hanging around. She introduces herself and says she wanted to thank Loran for his battle today, getting very close to him. Loran is extremely uncomfortable, to say the least; Kiel steps in and orders Teteth to back off. "I'm sorry," mewls Teteth. "I thought any man would appreciate this, but this one's still too innocent."

She's identified Kiel as a woman not of this Earth. That makes her Teteth's target, though; she'll be back...

Bad news, though! Eiji's nowhere to be found on any of the three ships, and his room's been completely cleaned out!

News of today's battle has reached the Archangel on the UN. As the new alliance expands the scope of the war, ZAFT and Moonrace forces have breached the Lohengrin Gate, they say, and the Chairman's side is not just ZAFT but a whole special task force of machines. But the real breaking news is a video showing a ZAFT suit destroying a base full of defenseless noncombatants!

Also on the UN is a giant egg-shaped cloud over the Pacific Ocean. The Federation seems to have enlisted Gekko State to aid in the investigation job. Isn't it strange that those rebels should be working with the Federation? But Chandra's heard rumors that Gekko State has broken up with ZAFT, as well. Word travels fast on the UN, it seems.

But Cpt. Murrue advises not to lean on it any further. They themselves have seen how the big rumor mill spun their own battle at Orb. Better to rely on news from people they actually trust. What they know they have to be worried about are the alliance between ZAFT and the Moonrace, a balance to the one between the Federation and Orb. What if Plant is actually gathering support to wage war on planet Earth, though? Dividing the universe into two, one against the other...

And yet so far, Plant has remained diplomatic while the Earth exiled the Coordinators and Spacenoids, swayed by the Titans and Blue Cosmos. In that case, it seems like their best bet to support is the Chairman, but Cagalli can't forget that it was Coordinator assassins who came for Lacus, and Durandal who has her impostor. That doesn't mean Durandal is behind the assassination attempt, but Kira doesn't like the fake Lacus either. Whatever else he's doing, he's lying to people.

"Then let's find the truth for ourselves," says the real Lacus. "Is that not why we left Orb with Cagalli?"

---

Extra Dialogue

Tetsuya vs the Zeravire

: One new foe after another...
: Well, we can handle a few invaders! I, and ZEUTH, will drive you back!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Yah...I'm pretty sure Rand would've handled Shinn way better than that, Athrun. Punching that raging kid and ordering him to fall in line does seem like a recipe for disaster.

That said, I'm glad to see Gravion's plot picking up again - it's been FAR too long.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Brunom1 posted:

Yah...I'm pretty sure Rand would've handled Shinn way better than that, Athrun. Punching that raging kid and ordering him to fall in line does seem like a recipe for disaster.

That said, I'm glad to see Gravion's plot picking up again - it's been FAR too long.

Bright was right there! He should have left him to the professionals at hitting uppity mobile suit pilots.

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Bright was right there! He should have left him to the professionals at hitting uppity mobile suit pilots.

Yeah I mean he is the one that made SHINJI of all people hold his old man at EVA sized katana point in @3 IIRC

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Huh, so did they take out the part where Shinn was firing on the facility because he saw the soldiers gunning down civilian prisoners?

Said civilians basically threw a parade for Shinn and Athrun immediately afterwards, so that's what he meant by he was "saving" people incidentally.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Huh, so did they take out the part where Shinn was firing on the facility because he saw the soldiers gunning down civilian prisoners?

Said civilians basically threw a parade for Shinn and Athrun immediately afterwards, so that's what he meant by he was "saving" people incidentally.

Just checked the video and there's no mention of the Feds gunning down civvies in the base (All mooks get killed, Bright figures they'll surrender and Shinn charges in to attack without saying anything).

I'm pretty sure the people Shinn was trying to save were the folk that live in this area considering how pissed he was that the Feds turned the place into a battleground - remember the prologue, where Yassaba says the Feds simply took over the region, kicked everyone out and built their stuff.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 5, 2014

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014

Brunom1 posted:

Just checked the video and there's no mention of the Feds gunning down civvies in the base (All mooks get killed, Bright figures they'll surrender and Shinn charges in to attack without saying anything).

I'm pretty sure the people Shinn was trying to save were the folk that live in this area considering how pissed he was that the Feds turned the place into a battleground - remember the prologue, where Yassaba says the Feds simply took over the region, kicked everyone out and built their stuff.

I think he was talking about what happened in the show. I wouldn't know because...well It's Seed Destiny.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Ah, the Beam Drive Unit. I'm still not convinced that that's an actual attack; the animation just makes it look like it's crop dusting.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Considering the Turn-A's primary weapon, a "crop dusting" from it is arguably the equivalent of a nuclear weapon. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Of course, that's not counting the several episode stretch where the ∀ actually has nuclear weapons.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dr Pepper posted:

Of course, that's not counting the several episode stretch where the ∀ actually has nuclear weapons.

It says a lot for how much of a nice guy Loran is, when I don't really think about how much of a five year old's "I WIN BECAUSE :byodood:" design the turn A is because he's driving it. Meanwhile I'm looking at all these SEED mechs and thinking "Old Mobile suits were lucky if they had TWO guns go with their sword :corsair:"

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I love legitimately bonkers super robots. I also love a hard working man's off the assembly line robot taking on all comers. Man, it's been so long I don't even remember of Nineball was even IN any of the Armored Core games I played since the only PS1 Era game I played was Project Phantasma (And I never found the other PS1 versions back then).

It's just a bit more noticeable in the "Real Robots" genre when you run into people who go on about how realistic/theoretically possible the stuff that may as well be a super robot compared to everything else the deal with. Ill admit it's a bit hypocritical to judge the real robot pilots like this, but they don't stand out so much as pilots when their mech is just that much better than everything else, turning on "Immune To Bullets because SCIENCE" fields. As opposed to how much we all love Mazingers and Getters and respect their pilots :v:

It's a tough trick, being a respectable Real Pilot without having your Mech fall too far under useful, or too far past overkill compared to it's competition.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 5, 2014

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think that around this point, just a little after the route split, I looked up what was going on in Setsuko's route (I was playing Rand) and not only did I go :stare: at some of the differences in what they go through plotwise, but also at the horror stories of stages like this one.

Advance (and by extension A Portable) has a stage like this one, but all you have to do is avoid walking into the visible line of fire of the cannon, which just fires its MAPW every turn and destroys anything in the way. :v: I always thought it was a better approach than the post-Alpha Gaiden 'random units take fixed damage' gimmick which arbitrarily ruins your life or is a minor annoyance depending on the result.

Section Z posted:

It says a lot for how much of a nice guy Loran is, when I don't really think about how much of a five year old's "I WIN BECAUSE :byodood:" design the turn A is because he's driving it. Meanwhile I'm looking at all these SEED mechs and thinking "Old Mobile suits were lucky if they had TWO guns go with their sword :corsair:"

It legit bothers me that every gosh-darned Gundam these days flies by default because it is a lot less interesting when no one takes advantage of terrain features. Back in my day Amuro fought with his back to the sun as a legitimate tactic.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 5, 2014

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

It legit bothers me that every gosh-darned Gundam these days flies by default because it is a lot less interesting when no one takes advantage of terrain features. Back in my day Amuro fought with his back to the sun as a legitimate tactic.

I love scenes like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejjfu4JmVTU

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Yeah, I remember reading a while back that Japanese fans aren't huge on 08th Team because the fight scenes "weren't cool enough" and wondering what the gently caress show they watched.
I'd love an SRW which takes place entirely on Earth and gives units varying bonuses depending on the biome they're fighting on (like Shiro & company would be at their best on foresty stages).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Japanese audience members in a whole seem less fond of the "underdog" style of combat from what I've seen. The protagonists being an overwhelming force that outclasses its opponents has kind of being a thing since Mazinger Z. There's stuff like VOTOMS but it is fairly rare (and Chirico arguably hugely outclasses his opponents a lot of the time anyway even if it is in the form of getting his poo poo kicked a lot.)

I remember reading that there's a similar kind of divide with Gundam 00 where the US fans tend to empathize with the S1 villains a bit more while Japanese fans tended to like Celestial Being a bit more.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I think that around this point, just a little after the route split, I looked up what was going on in Setsuko's route (I was playing Rand) and not only did I go :stare: at some of the differences in what they go through plotwise, but also at the horror stories of stages like this one.

Advance (and by extension A Portable) has a stage like this one, but all you have to do is avoid walking into the visible line of fire of the cannon, which just fires its MAPW every turn and destroys anything in the way. :v: I always thought it was a better approach than the post-Alpha Gaiden 'random units take fixed damage' gimmick which arbitrarily ruins your life or is a minor annoyance depending on the result.

Yeah, stages like these are a major headache if you're unlucky and I'm so happy that Rand doesn't have to deal with those shenanigans (I think...if I'm wrong, there'll be cursing).

On the Gundam topic, that's another reason why I like the Astray models so much - they're so tame when compared to a lot of SEEDs other main mechs.

150m Gerbera Straight notwithstanding! :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Setsuko's Route is overall a bit harder then Rand's I say.

Not only does Setsuko start out weaker then Rand does (Though by now she's come into her own, Rand can still dish out more damage but Setsuko has one of the best ALLs in the game and is great for clearing enemy squads), but her stages and Battle Mastery points are overall more difficult.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Setsuko's Route is overall a bit harder then Rand's I say.

Not only does Setsuko start out weaker then Rand does (Though by now she's come into her own, Rand can still dish out more damage but Setsuko has one of the best ALLs in the game and is great for clearing enemy squads), but her stages and Battle Mastery points are overall more difficult.

To compensate a bit, Rand does have a much harder time with some secret points that Setsuko gets a ton of.

And it's not our fault you government puppies got stuck with the weaker units! :smugdog:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 5, 2014

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Brunom1 posted:

..it's not our fault you government puppies got stuck with the weaker units! :smugdog:

The UN JUST said that the Federation and Gekko State are working together! We all know that random strangers on a government controlled internet are way more reliable than what we've actually seen with our own eyes; don't taint the people's minds with your easily proven fact lies.

Also, Eiji JUST said that this was his last battle: why is everyone surprised that he left? What the heck did they think he would do, complain constantly about having to fight while continuing to maul everything he meets? That only applies to Gundam pilots and Super pilots desperately pretending to be Gundam pilots in the hopes that someone will like them (or pity them; Gundam knockoffs aren't really picky about the kind of attention they get).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I think Setsuko's route is fairly harder overall. When I finally played Setsuko's route I was surprised that I had to stop and think a few times in order to not miss SR Points, which is fairly rare during a second run. She and her routemates in general are a lot better at sweeping grunt squads but most of the difficulty at that point in the game comes from the bosses and minibosses. Meanwhile, Rand has the better boss killers plus Orguss and Aquarion to clear up survivors.

ImpAtom posted:

Japanese audience members in a whole seem less fond of the "underdog" style of combat from what I've seen. The protagonists being an overwhelming force that outclasses its opponents has kind of being a thing since Mazinger Z. There's stuff like VOTOMS but it is fairly rare (and Chirico arguably hugely outclasses his opponents a lot of the time anyway even if it is in the form of getting his poo poo kicked a lot.)

I remember reading that there's a similar kind of divide with Gundam 00 where the US fans tend to empathize with the S1 villains a bit more while Japanese fans tended to like Celestial Being a bit more.

See, I actually am on the side of the japanese on this one, because I like protagonists who aren't the underdogs. I groan at overpowered protagonist suits because they make action scenes boring. I don't think it is quite that easy to divide as an east/west issue, because super robot fans are just as numerous on this side (and probably a lot more vocal) as the fans of, say, Zeta or Votoms.

Ultimately a good super show like G Gundam makes up for the repetitive action scenes by having awesome music, really well executed running motifs, badass catchphrases and a lot of enjoyable campy stuff going on during them. A badly executed show like the second half of Seed doesn't really have much going for its action scenes other than METEOR in the background.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GimmickMan posted:

See, I actually am on the side of the japanese on this one, because I like protagonists who aren't the underdogs. I groan at overpowered protagonist suits because they make action scenes boring.

These two sentences contradict each other.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

EDIT: vvv Yeah, I love legitimately bonkers super robots. I also love a hard working man's off the assembly line robot taking on all comers. Man, it's been so long I don't even remember of Nineball was even IN any of the Armored Core games I played since the only PS1 Era game I played was Project Phantasma (And I never found the other PS1 versions back then).

It's just a bit more noticeable in the "Real Robots" genre when you run into people who go on about how realistic/theoretically possible the stuff that may as well be a super robot compared to everything else the deal with. Ill admit it's a bit hypocritical to judge the real robot pilots like this, but they don't stand out so much as pilots when their mech is just that much better than everything else, turning on "Immune To Bullets because SCIENCE" fields. As opposed to how much we all love Mazingers and Getters and respect their pilots :v:

It's a tough trick, being a respectable Real Pilot without having your Mech fall too far under useful, or too far past overkill compared to it's competition.

Part of what I like about the Turn-A is that it is so absurdly overpowered. It's a miracle machine that can literally end the world, is capable of repairing itself and its pilot, it's powered by an artificial black hole, it can fly and swim and function in space, it has articulation in its hands sophisticated enough to pick up a mug without breaking it, it can form a protective barrier that can straight-up stop a nuclear explosion, it can turn invisible... It and the Turn-X are effectively Super Robots in a Real Robot setting, and I always thought that was pretty cool.

I Killed GBS fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 6, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Hey can we lay off the spoilers for the game we're playing?

Tempestas Leo
Jul 16, 2014
Yeah man not cool. I haven't even started Turn A yet.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh, sorry. People have talked about its OPness in other SRW threads without putting up spoilers, so I didn't think about that. My bad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

These two sentences contradict each other.

Let me rephrase: If the focus of your action scenes is in defeating a stronger foe, then you want your protagonist suit to be weak but resourceful. If the focus of your action scenes is in character development, then just go nuts with power levels as you see fit. In 00 S1 the second approach works because the Meisters haven't realized their role in Aeolia's plans yet and in Gunbuster it works because Noriko and Kazumi have to accept that time dilation will ruin their lives.

But most Gundam shows these days want to recreate 0079 and Zeta, shows where the protagonists clearly struggled in every skirmish, harnessing their powers (meant to understand other people) as weapons of war. In SEED all it takes to overpower enemies is for Kira to type a bunch of code into the OS of his MS, and that really misses the point of the franchise's theme about human evolution.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Broken Loose posted:

Hey can we lay off the spoilers for the game we're playing?

The No Spoiler rule really only applies to the original elements of the games plot. So how series crossover, original character plot points and that sort of thing.

The game assumes you've watched all the shows the game borrows characters from. :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

The No Spoiler rule really only applies to the original elements of the games plot. So how series crossover, original character plot points and that sort of thing.

The game assumes you've watched all the shows the game borrows characters from. :v:

That said, it's a good practice to spoiler tag stuff from the series out of courtesy to those who haven't seen it yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh but I totally say it applies to SEED Destiny because this is the canon version of Destiny in Shinn's heart.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
That reminds me, Recongquista is coming soon and I haven't finished ZZ and have only poked 5 episodes into Turn A. Gotta get on that.

...so of course, what I am instead doing is binge-watching Engage Planet Kissdum of all things.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

In SEED all it takes to overpower enemies is for Kira to type a bunch of code into the OS of his MS, and that really misses the point of the franchise's theme about human evolution.

I'm gonna have to call that one out. If the theme is human evolution, then Kira winning through superior non-combat technical skills would support the point, not miss it. Human aptitude is not determined by battle alone.

Besides, Kira only did that in the middle of a battle twice. Once in the beginning to make the Strike battle-worthy, and once in Africa so that it could fight in the sand. That's out of maybe 50 battles in total across the two series (one of which was won by Desert Dawn's minefield). In fact, a large number of the battles were won by other people. Kira spent a good chunk of the series just trying to hold off the superior numbers of his enemies. That may be the biggest difference in the battles of Gundam 0079 and SEED. In 0079, aside from a handful of newtypes, pretty much everyone died like you'd expect of soldiers in a war, in a series that invented the Real Robot genre. SEED by comparison has a large number of extremely skilled aces... though that fact was often obscured by the misuse of stock footage. The point is, they don't die easily, but that had the effect that it often seemed like no progress was ever made in battle.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
In repect to the overpowered heroes, if done right it can still be fun to watch. I liked in the original Mazinger Z anime, Mazinger started out as a potent machine, but it wasn't perfect. It still needed regular upgrades to handle new situations. Early on it was crap underwater and naturally the villains started creating underwater robots to exploit that weakness and they took an episode to deal with that. Mazinger wasn't built to fly so the villains started building flying robots to exploit that weakness. And again the anime had some episodes to deal with that issue.

One thing that always pissed me off was the English Tranzor Z version skipped over so many different plot points and important episodes. A major arc was the villains realized they didn't HAVE to target the robot, they just had to deal with the flying cockpit. They succeeded in trashing it and the next couple episodes dealt with the second string robots having to hold the line until the new Plider was finished. The american version skipped over all that so one episode had the regular Plider, the next we saw was the upgraded version with no explanation.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

I'm gonna have to call that one out. If the theme is human evolution, then Kira winning through superior non-combat technical skills would support the point, not miss it. Human aptitude is not determined by battle alone.

Besides, Kira only did that in the middle of a battle twice. Once in the beginning to make the Strike battle-worthy, and once in Africa so that it could fight in the sand. That's out of maybe 50 battles in total across the two series (one of which was won by Desert Dawn's minefield). In fact, a large number of the battles were won by other people. Kira spent a good chunk of the series just trying to hold off the superior numbers of his enemies. That may be the biggest difference in the battles of Gundam 0079 and SEED. In 0079, aside from a handful of newtypes, pretty much everyone died like you'd expect of soldiers in a war, in a series that invented the Real Robot genre. SEED by comparison has a large number of extremely skilled aces... though that fact was often obscured by the misuse of stock footage. The point is, they don't die easily, but that had the effect that it often seemed like no progress was ever made in battle.

Kira's programming mastery doesn't add anything to his character, it just serves as an easy mid-episode power up excuse. The only thing that ever comes out of it are the M1 Astrays, which amount to jack poo poo because Orb burns to the ground and all the Astray girls die anyway. It sounds neat in theory but in practice they botch it pretty badly - which is pretty much SEED.txt

Meanwhile, Newtypism is such a big deal that the entire second half of 0079 and pretty much the rest of the Universal Century as a whole is about Newtypes. Amuro starts as an underdog so we can see him grow into the psychic ubersmench known as the White Devil. Like other Newtype kids, he could have led a peaceful life and relish in the weird Newtype Love the franchise likes so much, but instead he turns into a one-man army.

An instrumental part of crafting a good story is making it start as far away from its end point as possible to make the journey exciting. G Gundam is a perfect example because Domon can beat most of his opponents relatively easily, but the story is rather about learning to express himself and relate to other people. There is a reason he gets a zillion combo attacks in SRW. :v: Kira though? I have no idea what his journey is supposed to be about, mostly because the second half of SEED is lazily written and Destiny is even worse.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Frost Brothers kidnapped Tifa and we were all too trippy to do anything thanks to a Kute Coralian…on the plus side, we denied Torres his porn so that was fun.
Garrod, Eureka and Holland are deploying as event units for this one; the game gives us 8 deployment slots, so here’s what we’ll be working with.
  • Rand, Dyke (Galapagos), Rag
  • Gainer, Matthew, Adette (Rushrod)
  • Baldios, Hilda, Roybea
  • Getter, Tekkouki, Michiru
  • Kei, Maai, Riea
  • Aquarion, Gauli
  • Gain, Witz, Bello (Dobeck)
  • Jiron, Sara(Dobeck), Burume (Government)
Make as many flying squads as you can because the next battleground has a decent amount of water.

Now, I hope you’re comfortable because this mission brings a lot of plot.

We find our team in some city, asking the local population for clues about Tifa’s whereabouts and coming back with squat. Mimsy’s still working her contacts on the Emaanian information network but, so far, nothing’s come up.
Bello remembers how we were warped away after our encounter with the Coralian and wonders if it might be too late to pick up on the kidnappers’ scent. Garrod’s intent on going on, though, as he’s sure the Frost Brothers are behind this and, as members of the Federation, it won’t be long before the feds force Tifa to use her powers for them.
When Sara asks, though, he doesn’t know WHAT they’re planning on using her for. Gainer and others know she has a strange ability and Bello remembers hearing that said ability is a Newtype power, so he figures that would make her an awesome pilot like Amuro and Camille.

Not so, as Garrod says she’s unable to fly a MS and, from what Jamil told him, it seems Tifa’s power is different from what Amuro and the others have. speaking of Jamil, Gainer’s curious about something as, while searching the UN for clues, he ran into information that tagged him as a Newtype, too.
That’s the first Sara’s heard of this but Garrod says Jamil has long-since lost his powers. From what Gainer’s found, Jamil was originally an ace pilot of the UNE but he’s since stopped piloting Mobile Suits.

Garrod corrects him, though, saying that’s it’s not like Jamil won’t pilot – it’s that he CAN’T pilot. That said, he won’t go over Jamil’s head and tell us the details and he asks what we don’t bring this up with the captain.
Inwardly, Garrod remembers how Gainer and the others came from the same world as them and, as such, he cannot tell them Jamil’s past.

There’s still time before we have to return to the ships, though, so Renton wants to search some more and Garrod calls Bello over to search the Market. Gainer and Sara will head back to the UN terminal to try and gather any relevant information.
As they all leave, Renton checks on Eureka and it seems she’s still having a headache but she insists it’ll pass soon. That said, he does apologize for dragging her around like this and suggests that she head home to rest and let him search the area.
She does so and Renton starts pondering how Eureka’s condition seems related to the Nirvash but, unfortunately, he doesn’t know what he could do to help.

Nearby, Dominic is fretting over his busted motorcycle with Anemone yelling at his ear. She’s feeling all gross with the salty sea breeze sticking to her skin but Dominic remembers that she was the one who suggested this trip because she thought she’d feel better with the breeze.
Of course, he gets interrupted halfway through it by Anemone asking “Is that a complaint…?” which makes him immediately shut up. She decides to rest under a tree’s shade and tells him to get the bike fixed quick-like (even though he’s got no understanding of mechanics).

Renton knows his stuff, though, and comes over to offer some help. The kid doesn’t know who the startled Dominic is but, inwardly, Dominic easily tags him as the son of Adroc Thurston that he saw in his data. Renton DOES recognize Anemone as the rider of the black KLF, yelling out from under her tree for Dominic to stop playing around and start working, which makes Dominic pull out a gun.
Dominic tells Renton to be quiet but he’s not listening, instead asking why that KLF looks so much like the Nirvash and, also, why is she wearing a choker just like Eureka’s. Renton yells that what happened to us is Anemone’s fault and Dominic fires right back, asking if we had any idea of what we were doing.

Renton is a bit surprised and wonders if the army knows something about the Coralian which prompts Dominic to demand to know where he’s heard that name. Renton wonders if there’s something wrong with him knowing the name and asks what the thing is but Dominic yells that he’s the one asking questions here.
He can’t well threaten Renton with a bullet as, then, there’d be no one left to fix the bike and, from the looks of it, it’s a model from their world which means the kid WOULD be able to get it sorted out.

Dominic tries ordering him to fix the drat thing but Renton gives him sass, asking if shoving a gun in people’s faces is how a soldier asks for help.
Renton’s well aware that Anemone’s probably gonna give Dominic hell if the bike doesn’t get fixed and, without a choice, Dominic lowers his gun and politely asks him to help out (not before Renton makes him say it out loud, mind).
Inwardly, Renton sees that Dominic’s not the smartest guy around...

Elsewhere, we find Witz arguing with Tonya: he wants to gather information at the harbor as there’ll be a lot of people coming in and out of town but, seeing how Garrod and the others are already there, Tonya wants them to check the downtown area.
Witz doesn’t buy it, thinking the only reason she wants to go there is to shop around. She doesn’t appreciate him saying nonsense like that when they’re in this kind of situation and Witz decides to head to the harbor by himself.
Tonya’s left fuming, telling him to run to the harbor and just jump into the ocean while he’s at it, but she’s interrupted by the arrival of a laughing Enil. Tonya doesn’t appreciate being laughed at but Enil, apologizing, says he was just amused at Tonya’s cussing.

Tonya also apologizes for her ranting but, regardless, asks if they haven’t met before as Enil’s voice is rather familiar. Neither one remembers, so they exchange introductions, and Enil quickly asks if the man just now was her boyfriend.
Tonya says he’s just a teammate which Enil finds curious, as they seem to be pretty close, but Tonya doesn’t see it. Regardless, when asked, Enil says she got into town a few days ago and, seeing how she seems well-informed, Tonya asks if she wouldn’t mind helping look for a missing person.
Enil agrees, seeing how she’s got a few connections in town and Tonya can’t wait to rub Witz’ nose in it - that said, she’d be more than happy to treat Enil to lunch after their search.

Renton fixes the bike in short order, putting all his grandpa's training to good use, and now Dominic won't have to face Anemone's wrath anymore.
With that done, Renton wants an answer to what the Coralian is but Dominic still says he can’t answer. Renton isn’t amused, saying when he entered that cloud, he saw a bunch of things.
Inside the dream, he met with Anemone even though he’d never been face-to-face with her before, so he wants to know who the girl is. Dominic doesn’t seem inclined to answer but he asks if he only saw Anemone in there – Renton says he saw Eureka, too.
Dominic smirks at this and, calling Renton by name (surprising the kid, as he never gave it), says they’ve both fallen for quite troublesome girls. Regardless, he can’t answer his questions about the Coralian but, as thanks for fixing his bike, he’ll tell him the location of the girl he’s looking for: the island of Zonder Epta.

Renton’s curious as to why he’s telling this as doing so would be breaking a whole lot of military rules but Dominic says he’s free to believe or not. Renton does believe him and, upon receiving Dominic’s name, sets off to find the others.
As he goes, Dominic remembers being told by Dewey to keep tabs on what the Frost Brothers are doing so, by sending the Gekkostate after them, he might get a clue on their true intentions.
Anemone shows up right then, asking if the bike’s fixed, and Dominic says there’s much he doesn’t know about the world but what he does know is that he might’ve met their true enemy today.

Anemone doesn’t care about his philosophizing and tells him that they need to get going.
Dominic does so and, as soon as he revs the bike, he pops a wheelie – turns out Renton didn’t just fix the bike but also tuned it up to eleven. Regardless, Anemone’s rather impressed with his “skills” so Dominic is, if anything, happy with that.

Back with the girls, Tonya’s been told that Enil’s travelling to get revenge on some guy who refused her. Enil won’t go as far as calling it actual “revenge” but she asks if Tonya doesn’t sometimes wish that men like that simply disappeared from the world.
Tonya understands how she feels but Enil confesses that, at times, she wonders if this is what she should do – she figures there’ll be days where she’ll regret traveling around like this. Tonya says the past is in the past and whether you’re happy or not depends only on what one does in the present.
That’s why Tonya lives as she wants to, choosing her own path, and whether she makes a mistake or is successful in her path, whatever happens is her own decision and she can accept that.

Enil is feeling a bit jealous of Tonya’s way of life and she says she learned this because of her teammates. On that matter, Tonya asks if Enil wouldn’t want to come with us.
She says our group just sort-of wanders around, doing our own thing, but everyone’s good people and she thinks Enil would fit in nicely. She’s glad for the invitation but asks if Tonya wasn’t supposed to be searching for someone now and, indeed, Tonya started talking with her and forgot that she was supposed to be searching for Tifa.
Upon hearing the girl’s name, Enil quickly figures Tonya’s one of the Freeden’s crew and starts getting depressed.

Before anything happens, though, Rand shows up looking for Tonya – seems like Witz was talking his ear off, grumbling at how she wasn’t doing her part. As she sighs at his hard-headedness, Rand passes on the good news that Renton found a clue on Tifa’s location.
Tonya’s slightly surprised that the little shop-clerk was capable of something like that and apologizes to Enil for having to take off like this. Still, she says Enil’s free to call her on the Freeden if she decides to join our group and she’ll pick her up.

Rand tells Tonya to go on ahead back to the ship while he takes care of a small errand before returning. As she goes, Enil thanks him for keeping quiet about her and he says it’s his way of thanking her for the help in Fort Severn.
On that matter, he asks if she’s still gunning for Garrod and while she doesn’t give a straight answer, Rand agrees with Tonya in that she should do whatever she wants – that said, he adds that there are some things that cannot be undone and, once she’s past that point, it’ll be too late for regrets.
With Enil deep in thought, Rand heads back while saying that neither he nor Garrod want to fight her.

As we head to Zonder Epta, our people discuss how the area around the place is known as the “Sea of Lorelai”, derived from a legend of the ghost of a woman whose songs led sailors astray.
Tex mentions how the story describing the legend is a remnant of their original world:

quote:

“The wind is cold and the Rhine River flows slowly. The faraway mountain is aglow with the setting sun.
There’s an elegant girl sitting on a small hill with a bewitching smile – she wears golden clothes and has a golden comb.
She combs her hair. She combs her golden hair.

Tex and Gain recite an excerpt of the story and the good doctor is impressed that he knows it but Gain says he always had a taste for this sort of stuff. Ana is impressed with the two of them but Gainer grumbles that Gain’s showing off again.
From what Gainer’s heard of the area, several modern-day ships reported hearing a mysterious song before simply disappearing. Sara’s afraid the legend’s legit and Lorelai actually sunk those ships but Witz thinks, as crazy as this world’s gotten, ghost stories are a bit too much.

Tonya quips that his voice seems to be a bit trembly but, no, Witz insists that he doesn’t buy these stories and Roybea’s with him, figuring that, if ghosts did exist, they’d be outnumbering the living after everything that happened in the war 15 years ago.
Silvia remembers hearing from the Freeden and Yapan Ceiling folk that there was a huge war in their world and Pierre also heard that it ended when several colony drops ravaged Earth’s southern hemisphere.

Sara says that, since they lived in the northern hemisphere, they’re not too privy on details but she does know that their Earth, at the time, had its “core” in the southern hemisphere as that was where the government was based.
Tex adds the various continents each possessed their own civilizations: Galia featured Siberia and Zora, North Ameria had the machine-fearing civilization Loran came from, and the Southern Hemisphere contained the remnants of the former civilization that feuded with the space colonists.
Jun knows that it was during this war with the space colonists that the UNE used Gundam Xs like Garrod’s and, as Pierre mentioned, said war ended 15 years ago with a mass of colony drops. Gainer asks Tex if Jamil hasn’t piloted an MS ever since the war and all he’ll say is that Jamil is one of the many survivors whose hearts still bear scars from that day.

With all that said, Ana’s impressed that Gainer knows so much about the history of the Sea of Lorelai and he says he found this information over at this site detailing strange phenomena around the world – Gain’s always amused at everything we can find over the internets.
They’re interrupted when Kid comes in looking for Garrod and Renton.
No one has seen them and Kid, having searched most of the ship, is worried that they might’ve sortied on their own. Gain figures there’s only one place they’d go and that’s Zonder Epta.

Renton’s worried that they might’ve been too hasty in launching like that but Garrod wants to rescue Tifa on the double, which is why he wanted to do some recon right away.
He does apologize for getting Eureka to tag along but she also wants to rescue her friend. Garrod tells Renton to wait here while they scout ahead but the kid’s ready to go on after coming this far and, besides, Eureka and Nirvash need him.
Garrod thanks him and figures, with the GX and Nirvash’s speed, they should be able to go in and out without any danger of the enemies catching up to us.

It is then that an older guy, Katokk, approaches and wonders what kids are doing in a place like this.
Garrod says it’s got nothing to do with him but, still, Katokk figures that the kids are planning on setting out to sea. He identifies himself as a fisherman and warns that these waters are cursed with a ghost that’s only waiting to take them all captive.
Garrod thanks the old man for the warning but says we have to go no matter what and, despite not knowing what’s going on, Katokk sees that the kids are serious – as they leave, Renton promises they’ll take care.
Katokk likes the resolve he sees in Garrod's eyes, but he's got his own job to do…one that Garrod won't like.

At the island of Zonder Epta, the boys find a hidden Federation base which is downright suspicious and it’s very likely that’s where Tifa’s being kept. Renton asks if Garrod wants to head in and save her right away but he refuses, remembering that they’re only doing recon.
Renton tries to protest but Garrod says they can’t act too recklessly and wants to gather data on the base before the bad guys wise up to our presence.

As they approach, however, a batch of UNE troops launch but it’s not because they detected us – Garrod sees that this is more like an ambush. The troops’ leader, Abel, confirms that the intel was right and vows to not allow the intruders to escape.
Garrod sees that we’ve no choice but to fight and Abel’s more than eager to give us a taste of his power – the power of a SPECIAL human.

Mission Objective: Shoot down the Rasveht
Mission Failure: Any allied unit shot down
Skill Point: None

Time for a prologue battle and this isn’t difficult at all – especially if you kept both the Gundam X and Nirvash upgraded; Abel is slightly more dangerous than a regular mook but we’re more than well equipped to deal with him and his UNE cronies.

We’ll focus on these guys before Abel gets here. Since this is a prologue fight, feel free to use your SP.

They’re all alone, so this won’t take long.

Eureka moves over and gets working on a Gadeel.

Enemy Phase!

The Frost Brothers are observing the battle alongside the base commander, Aimzat, and ask if the Rasvhet pilot is the man he found. Indeed it is but Aimzat says he hasn’t “awakened” just yet and Olba knows that means he won’t be able to activate the Flash System.
Aimzat is aware of that but knows, from their research, that several Newtypes had their awakening during battle and that’s why he had Abel deploy right now. That said, if the girl the brothers brought over is able to successfully interface with that OTHER system, this’ll all be moot and she’ll be sent to the Moon at once.
The brothers tell Tifa that Aimzat is hoping she’ll use her power to awaken a ghost from 15 years ago…

Both units are attacked, with Eureka killing the weakened Daughtress.

Player Phase!

Abel’s still too far, so Eureka will clean up another weak Daughtress.

Boom.

Following that, Garrod hacks away at another Gadeel.

Enemy Phase!

The last healthy Daughtress gets slapped away by Eureka while Garrod kills the two Gadeels, being hit once.

Abel is finally close enough to attack.

He’s not very good at it.

Player Phase!

Either way, Garrod takes out the last Daughtress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RfZOeYM-8
And Eureka will wrap things up. Have we ever seen her Assault attack before?

Abel refuses to accept that he could be defeated and Aimzat tells him to retreat lest they lose his unit.
With that, Garrod and Renton have their chance to escape and, in that case, Aimzat has no choice but to order the use of the Flash System.

The kids hear a singing voice coming from the base and Renton thinks it’s the ghost. Very real mechs deploy right then, though, and even if he doesn’t know what they are, Garrod knows it can’t be good.
They try to escape but the mechs quickly surround and disable their machines. Aimzat is rather pleased to capture both a Gundam and the first LFO, so he orders them to be handled with care.
Olba relates that the Freeden seems to have arrived, having managed to break through the base’s defensive perimeter – Aimzat isn’t worried, though, as he’s already taken measures against them.

The Freeden enters the area with Katokk having led them over. Seems like they broke through the Feds’s troops by having the rest of our people perform a diversionary attack while they slipped by.
That said, Sara’s receiving messages saying that they’re being overwhelmed, with the Iron Gear grounded and the other ships very damaged, so Jamil orders the Freeden to break through the enemy MS and to prepare to retreat once they’ve rescued Garrod and the others. They’re leaving navigation to Katokk but, unfortunately, he’s got other ideas.
He draws a weapon and tells everyone to sit still as this ship’s now under control of him and his men (who have already seized the engine room) – turns out they’re not a fishermen but Federation soldiers. Tonya now understands that guiding us over here was just all part of his plan to capture the ship.

Katokk says his late wife always said there are only two good things about him: he doesn’t drink alcohol and he copes with adversity well.
However, there are also some the bad things about him: mainly, he’s a liar.
Katokk tells Jamil, the so called “Hero”, not to get angry, remembering how everyone in the army called him that in the previous war: Jamil, the hero who would bring them victory. Back then, he was a Newtype soldier at age 15 and even regular grunts like Katokk and company looked up to him…that is, until the colonies fell onto Earth…

Well, frig...things just managed to get even worse.

FYI: This is a pretty big mission, text-wise (they grab the plot from a whole bunch of Gundam X episodes for this one) - expect the next one by Monday.

See you all then!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 17, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Kira's programming mastery doesn't add anything to his character, it just serves as an easy mid-episode power up excuse. The only thing that ever comes out of it are the M1 Astrays, which amount to jack poo poo because Orb burns to the ground and all the Astray girls die anyway. It sounds neat in theory but in practice they botch it pretty badly - which is pretty much SEED.txt

His programming skills plus his incredible rate of skill increase and the things he manages to survive are all meant to be taken together to establish the gulf between naturals and coordinators, which is done very effectively I think.

quote:

Meanwhile, Newtypism is such a big deal that the entire second half of 0079 and pretty much the rest of the Universal Century as a whole is about Newtypes. Amuro starts as an underdog so we can see him grow into the psychic ubersmench known as the White Devil. Like other Newtype kids, he could have led a peaceful life and relish in the weird Newtype Love the franchise likes so much, but instead he turns into a one-man army.

... I have no idea what his journey is supposed to be about, mostly because the second half of SEED is lazily written and Destiny is even worse.

Kira's character journey is that he starts as a kid thrown into a bad situation, and at first he's just trying to protect himself and his friends. However, he keeps finding that the choices he makes have consequences, and they start to wear him down, until he finally decides that he has to actually do something about the situation he's in. You call Amuro an ubermensch? He's a very good pilot, but in 0079 that's all he is, and there's a lot more to the idea of an ubermensch than just that. Amuro started 0079 as a whiny, angry teen, and he came out of it a soldier. His early development was that he hated having to fight, but he fought anyway when ordered to because he got used to it. Kira started SEED as a timid, emotional teen. His development centered around his dislike, not just of being forced to fight, but of the whole idea of war. But unlike Amuro, who just forgot about his objections over time, Kira decided to actually do something about it, and for some reason that makes not even an iota of sense to me, people seem to hate him for it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I think that most of the hate for Kira comes from his Destiny appearance where he basically hijacked the show from Shinn. There's a few other reasons as well, but I don't think we've gone into the plot of that enough to really get into those since he hasn't properly appeared yet.

Also, dear god Z, are you sure you don't want to use any more episodes from Gundam X in this one mission? I think that we're using about 10 episodes' worth of plot in this one level.

Please tell me this means that we're getting the Double X soon.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey, a fun thought exercise.

Imagine if this same mission was happening in Z2. With the Z2 versions of the Nirvash and GX. It'd be really fun, wouldn't it?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
That scene with Renton and Dominic really doesn't make much sense in a setting where they're both in a populated area and Eureka and Anemone are fine. I know it's just the nature of crossovers and SRW that some stuff's just not gonna transfer over well (especially an episode of character development between two dudes involving zero robot fights), but it just feels weird here, like the writers went "Well drat, this has to go somewhere eventually before the end"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

TwoPair posted:

That scene with Renton and Dominic really doesn't make much sense in a setting where they're both in a populated area and Eureka and Anemone are fine. I know it's just the nature of crossovers and SRW that some stuff's just not gonna transfer over well (especially an episode of character development between two dudes involving zero robot fights), but it just feels weird here, like the writers went "Well drat, this has to go somewhere eventually before the end"

I think it works decently enough. It's actually worse for Dom that Anemone is doing fine because she is CONSTANTLY yelling at him to fix the drat bike so, while there are probably mechanics that could fix the thing in town, he probably wants to get it fixed right away to get her to relax again.

And, of course, Dom never comes across as the smartest guy around when deal with non-military issues...the idea of finding someone else to do it didn't even come to him before Renton offered it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hey, a fun thought exercise.

Imagine if this same mission was happening in Z2. With the Z2 versions of the Nirvash and GX. It'd be really fun, wouldn't it?

Well, to start off, we'd need to have Eureka be kidnapped along with Tifa...screw it, I don't wanna talk about movie E7.

Shame on you for bringing that up! :argh:

Z2's GX wasn't as bad as the Nirvash Type 0, though.

• Locked thread