Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Telekinesis too is a traditional ghost/poltergeist power, and being a ghost also explains his "immortality".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Santa is going to be an amnesiac Santa Claus/runaway child of Santa Claus. He has a fifth power that has not been shown yet, and that power will be 'fish'.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
That's a cool theory, but one wrinkle: Look at the last page of the chapter. Touta's sprawling all over his bedmates (much to their discomfort). Mister Psion can be touched.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Kaja Rainbow posted:

That's a cool theory, but one wrinkle: Look at the last page of the chapter. Touta's sprawling all over his bedmates (much to their discomfort). Mister Psion can be touched.

If Santa's not aware that he's a ghost, it could be that he's unconsciously using telekinesis to simulate having a physical body. I'm not 100% sold on this theory, though, because bringing things through solid objects with you isn't a traditionally ghost-y thing to do.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
New UQ is out

Yep, it was as people suspected. Pretty corporeal for a ghost, though. Probably the whole 'grudge spirit' thing I guess?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Man, that's a gruesome way to die. :stonk: I'm surprised they let Akamatsu put that in, it wasn't at all subtle. Good chapter though!

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Kyte posted:

Yep, it was as people suspected. Pretty corporeal for a ghost, though. Probably the whole 'grudge spirit' thing I guess?

Well, grudge ghosts are serious news. They're definitely among the most dangerous ghosts. And seem to have whatever powers are required to inflict their grudges, so things like shoving people into solid objects aren't exactly out of bounds for one.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Santa is giving me a huge Agito/Akito (from Air Gear) vibe.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Silento posted:

Man, that's a gruesome way to die. :stonk: I'm surprised they let Akamatsu put that in, it wasn't at all subtle. Good chapter though!

? I'm not seeing where they show Him Die.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Presumably it's from the bullies in the first page/panel. Which would be pretty crazy.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Where's a good place to go to buy issues of this series? I think I read up to like, issue 15 before I quit

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Captainsalami posted:

Where's a good place to go to buy issues of this series? I think I read up to like, issue 15 before I quit

If you don't mind streaming it Crunchyroll has a Netflix-style approach to manga and carries this. Otherwise, I don't know, I don't think that many paperbacks are out yet.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Like Skychrono said, that page where he has that sock or whatever in his mouth. If he died that way it would certainly explain his aversion to friendship and hatred of bullies (not that you really need a reason to hate bullies, mind).

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

Like Skychrono said, that page where he has that sock or whatever in his mouth. If he died that way it would certainly explain his aversion to friendship and hatred of bullies (not that you really need a reason to hate bullies, mind).

The fact that it shows up multiple times would make me think that, yeah, that's probably how he died, and dang, what a poo poo way to go.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KittyEmpress posted:

The fact that it shows up multiple times would make me think that, yeah, that's probably how he died, and dang, what a poo poo way to go.

I can sympathize with him. I was nearly killed by bullies in middle school. They dragged me to a quarry and shattered both my arms with rocks and left me to die, I somehow managed to walk on my knees to the roadside and someone stopped and called an ambulance. They never got in trouble for it either because one of them was the son of a cop and the grandson of the chief of police. :smith:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Skychrono posted:

If you don't mind streaming it Crunchyroll has a Netflix-style approach to manga and carries this. Otherwise, I don't know, I don't think that many paperbacks are out yet.

I've seen the first two volumes for sale in English, but yeah, that's not much.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am pretty sure at this point that Touta is gayer than the day is long, and it's going to be really sad if Kuroumaru doesn't figure it out and decides to become female. Also I guess it's probably more appropriate right now to use 'he' as a pronoun for Kuroumaru?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

chumbler posted:

I am pretty sure at this point that Touta is gayer than the day is long, and it's going to be really sad if Kuroumaru doesn't figure it out and decides to become female. Also I guess it's probably more appropriate right now to use 'he' as a pronoun for Kuroumaru?

He clearly identifies as a dude and takes offense to being constantly taken for a girl, so yes, it's probably more appropriate. Also him becoming a girl would ruin the joke.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

booksnake posted:

He clearly identifies as a dude and takes offense to being constantly taken for a girl, so yes, it's probably more appropriate. Also him becoming a girl would ruin the joke.

Yeah, given how he insists on being treated as male, it's only proper to treat him as that.

Also, I don't know about Touta being gay. He seems like he simply hasn't really discovered sexuality. It's all about making new friends.

I wouldn't mind if he was gay, though, that'd be an interesting thing to see for a change from Ken. I just don't see much support for it (basically [citation needed]).

(Ken did have a pretty blatantly lesbian couple which he virtually had get married in the epilogue. Which's more than you usually see in that kind of shounen. And now he doesn't have the publisher oversight he had before.)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been crossing my fingers for Ken Akamatsu BL series from pretty much the moment Kuroumaru showed up because I think that kind of hard left after like 25 years of harem series would be hilarious.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever Kuroumaru is, I like 'em. Wouldn't mind Touta gettin' close.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kuroumaru is definitely cool, but needs to stop getting chumped so much. He honestly kind of feels like he's already getting Krillin-ed in fights. Generally skilled, but just not the protagonist or with no real special abilities. But I guess I have enough faith in Akamatsu that these worries are probably unfounded. Next chapter will surely have him play a bigger role.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

(Ken did have a pretty blatantly lesbian couple which he virtually had get married in the epilogue. Which's more than you usually see in that kind of shounen. And now he doesn't have the publisher oversight he had before.)

I'm kind of hoping that Touta/Kuromaru ends up being a deliberate parallel of them, considering that Touta is a Konoe himself and the similarities between Kuromaru and Setsuna are obvious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

booksnake posted:

I think Kuromaru identifies as a dude simply for "I must be strong" purposes.

chumbler posted:

Didn't Touta clearly show interest in seeing Evangeline naked?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Angry Grimace posted:

Didn't Touta clearly show interest in seeing Evangeline naked?

The opposite, IIRC.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Kuromaru identifies as a dude simply for "I must be strong" purposes.

Yeah, I kinda got that impression, too. But I'll just refer to him as a him for the time being unless he decides otherwise.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bremen posted:

The opposite, IIRC.

He said he didn't want to see an old lady naked, but he also said he wanted to go spy on the girls bath because its just a thing guys do.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Angry Grimace posted:

He said he didn't want to see an old lady naked, but he also said he wanted to go spy on the girls bath because its just a thing guys do.

He's basically a kid who cares more about fun than girls or boys. Everything he does is 'because fun', not because he's a pervert or anything. What that says about him, who cares.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Touta is a bit of a late bloomer, a trait which is likely accentuated by his lack of memories. Negi probably would have been the same if he hadn't been essentially forced into the role of love interest for a bunch of girls he saw as students and friends. Kid didn't even have a chance to hit puberty first. Touta's situation is downright normal compared to Negi's bizarre shotacon harem situation.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Let's not forget Ken literally never resolved the Negi-harem at all. He just ended the series without saying anything. So there's the possibility Kuromaru is still a non-gender at the end.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
We'll probably eventually get an answer to that question through UQ, but given the foreshadowing of Touta's weird origins, it seems likely that'll be a nonanswer like "He never got to pick anyone, Touta was instead engineered using his genes and some/all of the girls'."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Negi became an immortal before hitting puberty, so he never reproduced.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

New chapter is up. Looks like Santa is indeed innocent, and his 'friend' is trying to lay the suspicion on him. Though didn't he say he's older than the grave marker Kuroumaru was taken to shows? I wonder what the relation between Sayoko and Santa is, though. Maybe they're split personalities that were separated when he died?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

chumbler posted:

New chapter is up. Looks like Santa is indeed innocent, and his 'friend' is trying to lay the suspicion on him. Though didn't he say he's older than the grave marker Kuroumaru was taken to shows? I wonder what the relation between Sayoko and Santa is, though. Maybe they're split personalities that were separated when he died?

I'll settle for the simple explanation: She was someone who knew and cared for him in life. Two ghosts is a curious occasion, but not impossible--chain suicides aren't unheard of and it wasn't necessarily him that committed suicide either.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I was wondering how Santa's friend was so young but still apparently knew him before his death, and then what do you know. Not a plot hole after all. So, Karin said she'd apprehend him after class, if she disappears will everyone except Touta blame Santa?

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Man, Akamatsu sure isn't holding back with the bodycount. It's kind of surprising.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bremen posted:

I was wondering how Santa's friend was so young but still apparently knew him before his death, and then what do you know. Not a plot hole after all. So, Karin said she'd apprehend him after class, if she disappears will everyone except Touta blame Santa?
Yeah this is almost certainly going for a "Touta defends Santa and thus teaches him The True Power Of Friendship."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, chances being that she murdered him?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
My guess Santa died in some bullying incident which got covered up which is why nobody's aware he's dead but Sayoko liked him or somesuch and eventually killed herself in despair (because why not), so her ghost murders those who resemble Santa's bullies.

Since Kuromaru and Touta are nice to Santa, she's nice to them and ask them to help Santa. Meanwhile, since Karin's hunting Santa, Sayoko's gonna murder a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Powerful ghosts are quite rare. There is no way that the two of them aren't deeply connected, which likely includes their deaths. Santa is a bizarre outlier because he has loads of power without being an insane vengeful revenant on top of being able to pass for human. I mean poo poo, he eats food, uses computers and sleeps. Another factor is how he apparently maintains a dorm room without anyone bothering him. Did he set it up via hacking, or is it something that was arranged on Santa's behalf without his ever questioning it? After all, students live in the dorms. It certainly wasn't a coincidence that Touta and Kuromaru got assigned to that room. Yet, Santa has been living in the school for years without realizing anything was wrong. He clearly remembers the last time Karin was there and how long ago that was, but he doesn't see anything wrong with the fact that he hasn't aged, gone to class or contacted his family (though he might not have had one to begin with) in that interval. Does he simply think that 'espers' don't age? Ghosts being forgetful is a rather common trait, but Santa has seemed far too grounded for it to be that simple.

This whole situation is just subtly wrong, and Akamatsu is a good enough writer that I am certain it is intentional.

• Locked thread