Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nice, not in the scrub league that video! (Though I was right at the rear end-end of the B division for most of the race :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I finally figured out why I had so much trouble in the last segment.

It's because the view goes back to the wrong loving camera once you're out of the barrel inversion :argh:

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Lone Goat posted:

I finally figured out why I had so much trouble in the last segment.

It's because the view goes back to the wrong loving camera once you're out of the barrel inversion :argh:

Huh? It's set to go back to your default camera that you normally use, as you're no longer upside down. You mean you wanted the internal cam for longer? You could also switch it manually with the camera keys if that's the problem.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropist posted:

Huh? It's set to go back to your default camera that you normally use, as you're no longer upside down. You mean you wanted the internal cam for longer? You could also switch it manually with the camera keys if that's the problem.

No I mean it goes to the tight 3rd person camera instead of the wide one.

How do you change the default to be further out?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Holy poo poo just had a heart stopping moment.

I just had The Run, getting a time that I didn't think I was capable of.

Right as soon as I crossed the finish line and the pop up appeared that said "you have set a new personal record", the game crashed. I had a mad dash to reopen the game to see if the replay saved. Luckily it did...so I guess it's time to go back an try to improve it further.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Lone Goat posted:

Numpad key 1 is the far away 3rd person, numpad key 2 is the close one, and numpad key 3 is the internal cam.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Lone Goat posted:

That'll mean you're using the closer third person cam when you go in as it switches back to your last used camera when you exit not your default.

Both camera 3 & 2 do have a similar view just after the loop ends because otherwise camera 3 would be through the wall.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 31, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I'm not really crazy about this track, but I also just had the "unexpectedly shaved a bunch of time off" thing that some of you have been getting.

Earlier in the week, I drove it for 20 minutes or so just messing with the possible start paths. At the end of that time, it was obvious to me which path was the fastest, so I focused on learning the rest of the track at that point.

After another 20 minutes or so I got what I thought was a fairly solid time and put it away. Tonight I finally had some more time and shaved off a little over a second after about 20 minutes.

I almost quit, feeling like that was about as good as I was going to do, but decided to take a few more runs, just for the hell of it.

Shaved off another half second almost immediately. :stare: Okay.

I started thinking about camming the replays, and decided to try the other start routes for a bit, wondering how many people would take which routes. I suddenly found myself over a tenth ahead of my ghost at that second CP, even though I hadn't taken the "obvious" fast route, and was over half a second ahead at the third CP. What the gently caress. Okay, I was certainly wrong about the best way to go. :downs:

Short form, this track has some hidden depths that aren't obvious right away, which is cool.

Also, is anyone else having problems with too much speed out of the loop? Most of the time I'll land just before the transition to the blue surface and things are cool, but a couple of times I did...something...and managed to land clear out in the middle of the blue. It's a bitch turning right at that point--you either ram into the metal quarter-pipe-ish barrier, or you lose a ton of speed.

Edit: And I just shaved off almost another 3/4 of a second. Welp.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 31, 2014

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

aas Bandit posted:

Also, is anyone else having problems with too much speed out of the loop? Most of the time I'll land just before the transition to the blue surface and things are cool, but a couple of times I did...something...and managed to land clear out in the middle of the blue. It's a bitch turning right at that point--you either ram into the metal quarter-pipe-ish barrier, or you lose a ton of speed.

Edit: And I just shaved off almost another 3/4 of a second. Welp.

Turn slightly just before you jump so land at an angle and can quickly drift the turn instead of landing straight and then trying to turn.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're going fast enough, you can head a little off to the right and jump the barrier instead of going straight down the hill too.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

aas Bandit posted:

I started thinking about camming the replays, and decided to try the other start routes for a bit, wondering how many people would take which routes. I suddenly found myself over a tenth ahead of my ghost at that second CP, even though I hadn't taken the "obvious" fast route, and was over half a second ahead at the third CP. What the gently caress. Okay, I was certainly wrong about the best way to go. :downs:

The different ways should be balanced pretty well. The 4 fastest ones are pretty close together in what you can get out of them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Throwing my hat into the ring, this should be fun :frogc00l:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
^^^It is indeed fun. Join us! :unsmigghh:

FillInTheBlank posted:

Turn slightly just before you jump so land at an angle and can quickly drift the turn instead of landing straight and then trying to turn.

Yeah, this was typically what I tried to do, and works quite well when I could hit it.

Jabor posted:

If you're going fast enough, you can head a little off to the right and jump the barrier instead of going straight down the hill too.

I could never manage to be going fast enough and make this happen at the same time. Every time I tried it, I didn't have *quite* enough speed and clipped the railing (or hit barely in the grass, which seemed kind of janky).

Entropist posted:

The different ways should be balanced pretty well. The 4 fastest ones are pretty close together in what you can get out of them.

They're more balanced than I expected when I initially looked at the track, but it seems like there are a couple that are easier to drive, and one of those two makes it much easier for me to get lined up nicely and in the right place going into the U-turn so I can take it cleanly at full speed (no braking or drifting or letting off the gas). That may very well say more about my driving skill than anything else. :) I'm not going into details because I know there are people still driving it...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

aas Bandit posted:

They're more balanced than I expected when I initially looked at the track, but it seems like there are a couple that are easier to drive, and one of those two makes it much easier for me to get lined up nicely and in the right place going into the U-turn so I can take it cleanly at full speed (no braking or drifting or letting off the gas). That may very well say more about my driving skill than anything else. :) I'm not going into details because I know there are people still driving it...

That's really surprising. I admit I didn't spend much time experimenting with all the routes because as I was initially testing them all one of them constantly stood out as being the fastest to me. I guess I just didn't spend enough time getting good enough at the other ones for it to really stand out.

I still stand by my choice for multiple reasons though. I'm at the point that I really don't want to put the time in to get a good time with another route.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

aas Bandit posted:

^^^It is indeed fun. Join us! :unsmigghh:

I needed an excuse to play this game (And its series) and be more active in multiplayer. Didn't even know this was a thing until a week ago.

Time to obsess over how much I can improve my times :f5h: restart

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Sometimes (and I don't understand how) I'll hit these moments of clarity and shave off an extra second or half second.
It usually happens when I'm skyping with friends or listening to a radio show or something.

Makes me wonder, if I had more time, how far I could push it.

Edit: Oh. I have an extra day? *tsk* Nevermind.
Double Edit: Replay submitted. I'm just out of free time for this track, but at least I made gold.

Grimwit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 1, 2014

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
So apparently you need an internet connection to play the demo version. At least I got reconnected in time to send in my replay... :sigh:

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Sent in a rather sucky time this week compared to what I wanted to achieve but every single good attempt died at the stupid loop :argh:

BrumDart
Oct 16, 2010
I'm pretty bummed that I missed the first 3 tracks, but I put down an absolutely perfect time for this track and I'm convinced it cannot possibly be done any faster.

I'm looking forward to bringing up the rear of the pack in the coming video and feeling completely inadequate compared to the rest of you.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

BrumDart posted:

I'm pretty bummed that I missed the first 3 tracks, but I put down an absolutely perfect time for this track and I'm convinced it cannot possibly be done any faster.

I'm looking forward to bringing up the rear of the pack in the coming video and feeling completely inadequate compared to the rest of you.

That's the spirit!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

CVE posted:

Sent in a rather sucky time this week compared to what I wanted to achieve but every single good attempt died at the stupid loop :argh:

I put in a bad time because I didn't really like the track. Can't actually put my finger on why, it just wasn't very engrossing.

Here's looking forward to the next one!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mfcrocker posted:

Here's looking forward to the next one!
Here you go!

quote:

Track 5: Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Entropist
Gold: 0:52:00

Manual Download - Steam - Replay

Replays are due by 9AM GMT (4AM EST, 1AM PST) on Tuesday 9th September 2014.

And Track 4 times are up: http://lp.somesingawful.com/Trackmania/

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
HEY GUYS! GUESS WHO'S 11th!
IT'S LIKE DOUBLE FIRST PLACE!

:dukedog:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My new goal is to finish 8th place for every single round since I seem to be doing that pretty solidly.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I got complacent and it bit me in the butt. :negative:

edit: :stare:
http://www.maniapark.com/ressource.php?id=2243

dibs!

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 2, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Sorry man, I sent that in already with my last replay.

Not really.

I did better than usual. Cool. :)

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
This new track...

I don't love bad news. :negative:

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
For both the last track and this one: If I could ever get a run without touching a wall, I would be golden. But there is always a wall that just pulls me towards it and slows me down.

Other than that, this new track is... okay? It doesn't really have a flow at first, but I am getting into it.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Whenever I found that one magnetic wall, I'd try to find a new line that would safely put me away from it. Even if I ended up not using it, the practice of avoiding it eventually helped.

Remember, use more brake (or less brake if slipping) or let off the accelerator. Yeah, you'll lose some speed, but you'll lose a lot more speed by touching the wall.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ow, GhettoWizard is getting faster... I should put more effort into it this week!
This week's track is more technical again, like round 2, so the time gaps should be bigger, though. This track is of the style that you might actually find in some pro competition, though with less drifting and more other kinds of turns.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Entropist posted:

Ow, GhettoWizard is getting faster... I should put more effort into it this week!
This week's track is more technical again, like round 2, so the time gaps should be bigger, though. This track is of the style that you might actually find in some pro competition, though with less drifting and more other kinds of turns.
I like it. Unlike the last track it pushes me to get better.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
drat! It's not easy being green in this track! Where have you put it Entropist?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Great Joe posted:

I like it. Unlike the last track it pushes me to get better.

Its my favorite so far.

Looks like I missed out on one weird track while I was gone. Got rather annoying fast though.

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007

Entropist posted:

I almost got a time that could've beaten yours, but I couldn't execute it. I kept getting these -0.40s checkpoints and then just losing the lead.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Slowly working my time down. Haven't reached gold time yet. That first section is a bitch and a half, the majority of my restarts happen there. Otherwise I'm loving the new map. So many places where you can jump a wall a nd make a nice shortcut.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Slowly working my time down. Haven't reached gold time yet. That first section is a bitch and a half, the majority of my restarts happen there. Otherwise I'm loving the new map. So many places where you can jump a wall a nd make a nice shortcut.

Its not nearly as bad as the second track. There's a couple ways to get a decent time through it.

AtomicSX
Jan 10, 2007
Not sure if I should send in the time I've got, I keep getting up to a half second lead on my ghost in the first part of the track but lose it after the second to last checkpoint.

I can drive that section much better than I did but I can rarely manage to scrape together a blue checkpoint run until that point. That angle transition to right drift can suck it :argh:.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I can't tell if I should brake more often, or stop braking so much. Technical tracks are confusing. :psyduck:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I can't tell if I should brake more often, or stop braking so much. Technical tracks are confusing. :psyduck:

When I start to feel like that, I usually just force myself to drive the track a few times without breaking at all. Drive it *just* getting on and off the gas--don't touch the brake, and do it enough times where you make at least a few clean runs.

I find that when I do this, and go back to using the brake, I usually do much better. YMMV, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I got an error while submitting my replay, but my name shows up on the list of people who've submitted times for the track. I guess it's ok?

• Locked thread