Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Amazon usually is good with shipping. But delays happen. Is it annoying? Yeah. But it's not really something they can control. Mail usually gets to my place around 2-3pm so I don't order things I want immediately from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Revol posted:

Actually, this is the first time I am using Amazon to get a game on release day (thanks to gift cards and getting a Prime trial for two-day shipping) so I'm gonna go ahead and ask my question:

If Amazon is using Two Day shipping, and it's supposed to be there on Tuesday, shouldn't it have gone out by tonight? Or does Fed Ex pick up from Amazon on Sundays? My order still says "Guaranteed delivery by: Tuesday, September 9"

And I wish there was a way to learn when Fed Ex usually delivers to an area. I've never had them come to this apartment. I'd take Tuesday off, but why bother if they come at 7pm?

2 day shipping is different from release date shipping. If you did not elect release date shipping you may get regular 2 day shipping which means it will arrive 2 days after release.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've never gotten a game late via release day shipping. Sometimes they overnight them, sometimes they get to the hub the weekend before. It's pretty random.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Amazon in the UK is normally alright. I managed to get Diablo 3 on the morning of its release date. I did select release day shipping, but the order was made months ago. The closer to the release date you order, the less likely it is that it'll show up on time, for obvious reasons.

I went digital for Destiny because I can't stand being sprayed with febreeze.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

So for people who've played around with the character creator in beta, would anyone happen to know how plausible it is to make an older looking character or is this one of those character creators that only does 20 somethings with perfect skin?

All the humans will have a dead eye, the space elves will all look like smurf sephiroths, and the exos?

I predict a lot of camo carbon fiber.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

We're never going to get to play this are we..

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Destiny is a scam

Cerulily
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

So for people who've played around with the character creator in beta, would anyone happen to know how plausible it is to make an older looking character or is this one of those character creators that only does 20 somethings with perfect skin?

I don't know about old people. But for some of the women, you can make a pretty wide array of either masculine or feminine faces. It never gets too pandering.
The exos are suprisingly varied in what you can do
I have a video of tooling around with some of them here

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202116890191467&l=9143037591303221357

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I plugged in my 360 and played a bit of Halo: Reach. Still a pretty great game, and has some of that early Destiny DNA.

Destiny was hinted at way back in ODST which was released over five years ago;

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

I pre-ordered Destiny on Amazon with two day shipping too, it still says Sept 9 for me. I ordered it for the XBone though, demand is probably higher for the PS4.

HP Artsandcrafts fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 7, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cerulily posted:

I don't know about old people. But for some of the women, you can make a pretty wide array of either masculine or feminine faces. It never gets too pandering.

I'll just have to fool around with it and see what I can do. Hope for the best! :v:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Cerulily posted:

oh my god this is actually phantasy star online

the music sounds pretty nice but i wish i could straight up swap in the PSO soundtrack

edit: needs some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzMjBc_C8kc

Tomahawk fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 7, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I plugged in my 360 and played a bit of Halo: Reach. Still a pretty great game, and has some of that early Destiny DNA.

This is a good find. I even remember that poster in game. I really loom forward to finding the old Marathon crew and playing Destiny and sperging HARD over the minute little details you know are hidden everywhere for the few hundred people who will get them.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It was crazy to go back to this game after playing the alpha and seeing how similar Mombasa streets and explore are between ODST and Destiny.

Open-ish world engaging small groups of enemies however you want was pretty fun, gently caress the ODST haters

E: phone censorship

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Jerkface posted:

2 day shipping is different from release date shipping. If you did not elect release date shipping you may get regular 2 day shipping which means it will arrive 2 days after release.

No, it isn't. Selecting 2 Day Shipping is the "release day" shipping.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

This is a good find. I even remember that poster in game. I really loom forward to finding the old Marathon crew and playing Destiny and sperging HARD over the minute little details you know are hidden everywhere for the few hundred people who will get them.

I'm holding out hope that there will be Marathon easter eggs in Destiny.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Bungie better add party hat/headshot confetti mode

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
To ward off five pages of shipping chat, how about a new topic?

People have found the Legend (character profile) pages for Bungie employees. It looks like there are five story missions each on Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars. One profile took about 8 hours played to complete the story plus do a few explore modes. Pretty much the standard FPS story length people were expecting.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Revol posted:

Actually, this is the first time I am using Amazon to get a game on release day (thanks to gift cards and getting a Prime trial for two-day shipping) so I'm gonna go ahead and ask my question:

If Amazon is using Two Day shipping, and it's supposed to be there on Tuesday, shouldn't it have gone out by tonight? Or does Fed Ex pick up from Amazon on Sundays? My order still says "Guaranteed delivery by: Tuesday, September 9"

And I wish there was a way to learn when Fed Ex usually delivers to an area. I've never had them come to this apartment. I'd take Tuesday off, but why bother if they come at 7pm?

Here's mine and some info I found:

e: I should also note that I've had several release day deliveries show up on release day before I get an email saying it was shipped. I've also had standard shipping show up on release day, too. And there've been reports of people getting release day shipments early. It's kind of a tossup.

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 7, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

When I saw the Traveller for the first time I remembered this poster and :vince:

Fateo McMurray posted:

Destiny is a scam

The Star Citizen of FPS games.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Can you preload this already if you buy digitally via xbox one marketplace?

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

Tokubetsu posted:

Can you preload this already if you buy digitally via xbox one marketplace?

You should be able to. I downloaded around Wednesday of last week.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

grrarg posted:

People have found the Legend (character profile) pages for Bungie employees. It looks like there are five story missions each on Earth, the Moon, Venus, and Mars. One profile took about 8 hours played to complete the story plus do a few explore modes. Pretty much the standard FPS story length people were expecting.

Probably longer if you're new to the game and exploring and aren't a bungie employee who knows exactly where to go and what to do and has most likely played the game a lot already

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

grrarg posted:

Not surprised, although with that few story quests and increased leveling pace from the beta, you'e probably going to need to do all the strikes and explore mode a bit in order to hit cap.

Now the question is, how long does it take to fully deck out a character in the best gear?

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.

grrarg posted:

Keep in mind Bungie employees have played the game many, many, many times.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

poo poo I mean, 8 hours?!? PREORDER CANCELED gently caress YOU BUNGIE

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
I called Gamestop today when I read that Bungie is bringing the servers live on Monday and explained that I have no intent on being there at midnight but I would like them to give me the game earlier than that so I could play on the active servers. The employee said that she had not heard this news and was not able to give me the game earlier than the midnight launch, but also that the midnight launch was starting at six pm (pst). I asked her to repeat herself, because that sort of broke my head a little bit, and sure as poo poo I am apparently going to waltz into the mall after work monday and leave with my preordered copy. I am going to put this game in my xbox and it will connect to the servers which will not be locked in any sort of way. Cuz that's how flawlessly stuff works in the world of launch day gaming, right? ...Guys??

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Launch "party" starts at 6. Have fun waiting in line for 6 hours.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

The severs go up once it is 9/9 anywhere, which will translate to early Monday in the u.s. While technically stores should observe street date, not everybody will and Bungie probably won't care anyway.

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Prostheticfoot posted:

I called Gamestop today when I read that Bungie is bringing the servers live on Monday and explained that I have no intent on being there at midnight but I would like them to give me the game earlier than that so I could play on the active servers. The employee said that she had not heard this news and was not able to give me the game earlier than the midnight launch, but also that the midnight launch was starting at six pm (pst). I asked her to repeat herself, because that sort of broke my head a little bit, and sure as poo poo I am apparently going to waltz into the mall after work monday and leave with my preordered copy. I am going to put this game in my xbox and it will connect to the servers which will not be locked in any sort of way. Cuz that's how flawlessly stuff works in the world of launch day gaming, right? ...Guys??

I think she either misspoke or you misunderstood...that's probably the time that they're going to start handing out numbers to determine the order you get your game at midnight. Otherwise, the midnight launch would be incredibly slow since you'd have dozens of people who were paying off their preorders. With them giving out numbers early, it ensures the people who don't come in early are at the back of the line at midnight.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Knowing how the first day of online games go, you will have 6 hours before every live server burst aflame.
Good luck and use that time wisely.

Edit: If you can get a copy Monday afternoon of course.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The bungie server will do fine. It's PSN that's gonna crash and burn like a Malaysian airline.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

PSN and Xbox Live are going to explode too. We've got multiple levels of server explosions that can be happening. This thread will probably jump to 400+ posts an hour with all the bitching.

This is just one of those inevitable things about huge MMO launches.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:lol: at anyone who thinks they're going to walk into a big chain store and get this early by informing them the servers are already up. I've actually seen this thought posted multiple times around the internet.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Even if you convince the dumbass employee, the register will have it locked out due to street date

A SWELL DUDE
Feb 8, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

:lol: at anyone who thinks they're going to walk into a big chain store and get this early by informing them the servers are already up. I've actually seen this thought posted multiple times around the internet.

"What the gently caress is a server?" queried the minimum wage Walmart employee.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
poo poo, PSN fell over when Minecraft PS4 was released last week. Destiny will be..interesting.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this conversation was a result of me asking a retail employee this question as though it made sense for her to say yes. But the amount of false hope that it inspired was just fan loving tastic.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

Here's mine and some info I found:

e: I should also note that I've had several release day deliveries show up on release day before I get an email saying it was shipped. I've also had standard shipping show up on release day, too. And there've been reports of people getting release day shipments early. It's kind of a tossup.

I ordered the bundle too (yesterday) and it says preordered but no release day shipping is an option. Estimated delivery is the 11th :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Revol posted:

No, it isn't. Selecting 2 Day Shipping is the "release day" shipping.

Oh my b, I think it used to be a separate option on those forms that you had to select manually.

• Locked thread