Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

Speaking of Hopkins the fight I'm most excited about coming up is Hopkins-Kovalev. Curious about what some of your thoughts are. My thinking on it is that Hopkins is really hard to hit flush and really tough to beat an in inside fight. Krusher's best chance is probably at range, I don't think he'll be able to walk Hopkins down and batter him like he's done other challengers. My gut says Hopkins by decision here; if B-hop does win then he's a top-10 ATG in my book.

My thoughts vis-a-vis Hopkins are, regardless of what he says, he's not going to take a fight unless he sees a specific strategy for winning. So if he's willing to fight Kovalev at all, it's because he's got a plan where he thinks he can win. So if you're going to try to predict Hopkins winning or losing, you have to assume that HE thinks he can win, and balance A) the fact that every top boxer always thinks they can win, because you can't be a top guy without having a ridiculously high opinion of yourself, and B) the fact that Hopkins has forgotten more about boxing than most of us will ever know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think hopkins will probably make it ugly as gently caress and win narrowly on points tbh. hopkins isn't gonna be there to hit like kovalev's highlight reel knock outs were and even though kovalev doesn't need to catch you clean to hurt you i think hopkins is crafty enough to survive any tough moments.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
"Ring-a-ding-a-dong".

Even Al Bernstein wants this idiot off the broadcast.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
The Showtime announcers are the worst.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Hey, all of Andre Berto's pieces stayed together! :haw:

e: Is this guy really calling Maidana a boxing mastercraft?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

fatherdog posted:

My thoughts vis-a-vis Hopkins are, regardless of what he says, he's not going to take a fight unless he sees a specific strategy for winning. So if he's willing to fight Kovalev at all, it's because he's got a plan where he thinks he can win. So if you're going to try to predict Hopkins winning or losing, you have to assume that HE thinks he can win, and balance A) the fact that every top boxer always thinks they can win, because you can't be a top guy without having a ridiculously high opinion of yourself, and B) the fact that Hopkins has forgotten more about boxing than most of us will ever know.

I mostly agree with this, but I think you're not giving Hopkins enough credit for being a fight-all-comers guy. There's nobody at LHW he hasn't either fought or tried to fight.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Why is the Showtime crew making more of a big deal on the count than necessary? Ortiz made the situation a judgement call. At that point, he had spit out his mouthpiece, and had not exactly done much before the 8-9 count interval to indicate he wanted to continue. Many refs let that go, but thats pure discretion.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Good first round from Taylor. I saw him try to throw a Maidana hooking overhand right.

The crowd was clearly staring at a fight in the crowd the whole time.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
This fight rules.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

taylor looks a weight division smaller

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
A Tale of Two Broners

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Taylor is definitely ahead IMO but this is a hometown fight for Broner.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Taylor's game plan is working great but I think he's going to wear himself out and pay for it when he can't push Broner on the back foot anymore.

^^^^ Also yeah, boxing judges.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Holy gently caress that was an awesome round of an awesome fight.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Well that was more entertaining than expected.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Good fight. Broner saved himself a lot of criticism with that last second knock-down. I felt he was losing the round up until that point.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
can someone give me a summary of the fight / judging?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Why is the same Showtime interview guy that acts like a prick to every other fighter being nice to Adrien Broner of all people?

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Got to hand it to Taylor. He came and gave it his all and left with no excuses. I thought the judging was pretty fair. Without Broner knocking Taylor down in the 12th I could have seen the fight as a draw.

^^^^Same reason that Paulie is praising him. Do what the hand that feeds you says.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Marching Powder posted:

can someone give me a summary of the fight / judging?

from what i saw it was pretty much entirely fought at midrange behind high guards and was very give/take. taylor managed to back broner to the ropes often but it was still pretty even because broner was working well off the ropes. the scorecards were 115-112 and 116-111x 2 which is probably about right considering broner got the knockdown in the 12th and i thought he probably stole a lot of the rounds just by being more active in the last 30 seconds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thehappyprince posted:

from what i saw it was pretty much entirely fought at midrange behind high guards and was very give/take. taylor managed to back broner to the ropes often but it was still pretty even because broner was working well off the ropes. the scorecards were 115-112 and 116-111x 2 which is probably about right considering broner got the knockdown in the 12th and i thought he probably stole a lot of the rounds just by being more active in the last 30 seconds.

muchas gracias

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I missed the Broner fight but I'm glad to hear it was a good one. Think it's interesting that he called out Matthysse instead of, say, the Mayweather-Maidana winner. I don't think I've heard Broner mention Maidana's name since the loss, it doesn't sound at all like that's a rematch he has on his radar.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I watched this fight with a bunch of people last night. When Taylor came out with a rapper everyone wanted to see him get his rear end beat, then when Broner came out with TWO rappers and danced to the ring the tide turned so hard against him. We wanted to see him get destroyed. I would have paid 100 bucks to see him knocked out 25 seconds into the fight (which is why he does it obviously).

It was a good fight though.

Another subject, but we are thinking about going to Atlantic City for the Hopkins fight in November. Has anyone gone to fight at Boardwalk Hall? What prices are we looking at for good seats? I don't want to drive all the way to Atlantic City to be 200 rows back.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The Ninth Layer posted:

I missed the Broner fight but I'm glad to hear it was a good one. Think it's interesting that he called out Matthysse instead of, say, the Mayweather-Maidana winner. I don't think I've heard Broner mention Maidana's name since the loss, it doesn't sound at all like that's a rematch he has on his radar.

He talked a lot about Maidana and an immediate rematch up until Mayweather-Maidana I was set, at which point he said he'd wait for Floyd to beat him and then avenge his loss. I haven't heard anything about it since Mayweather-Maidana I, though.

Based on the fact that Garcia beat him by moving and Broner has lead feet, I think Matthysse will loving murder him and I will be the happiest man in the Northern hemisphere.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

I watched this fight with a bunch of people last night. When Taylor came out with a rapper everyone wanted to see him get his rear end beat, then when Broner came out with TWO rappers and danced to the ring the tide turned so hard against him. We wanted to see him get destroyed. I would have paid 100 bucks to see him knocked out 25 seconds into the fight (which is why he does it obviously).

It was a good fight though.

Another subject, but we are thinking about going to Atlantic City for the Hopkins fight in November. Has anyone gone to fight at Boardwalk Hall? What prices are we looking at for good seats? I don't want to drive all the way to Atlantic City to be 200 rows back.

Honestly Boardwalk Hall is small enough that no seats are really that bad.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

fatherdog posted:

Honestly Boardwalk Hall is small enough that no seats are really that bad.

Seconding this. Know your budget, and stick with it. You'll be able to see everything.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Boink!

Good competitive fight I thought.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Hey SituAsian, want to write up the Mayweather GDT thread?

We're about a week out and I'm starting to get the hype bug. Maidana is a bigger underdog than the first time around IMO, Floyd seems to have all the advantages here including the knowledge of how dangerous Maidana can be now. Still, nobody besides Castillo has ever gotten a second crack at Mayweather before. Maidana will have gained confidence and lost respect for Floyd since the first match and he should have a better idea of how to pace himself. Chino is one of a handful of guys that can turn it up in a fight at will if he's motivated; he can probably steal rounds and even catch Floyd by surprise throughout, much as he did in their first fight. Mayweather isn't getting any younger too.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

The Ninth Layer posted:

Mayweather isn't getting any younger too.

I think this is the biggest factor in everything

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

The Ninth Layer posted:

We're about a week out and I'm starting to get the hype bug. Maidana is a bigger underdog than the first time around IMO, Floyd seems to have all the advantages here including the knowledge of how dangerous Maidana can be now. Still, nobody besides Castillo has ever gotten a second crack at Mayweather before. Maidana will have gained confidence and lost respect for Floyd since the first match and he should have a better idea of how to pace himself. Chino is one of a handful of guys that can turn it up in a fight at will if he's motivated; he can probably steal rounds and even catch Floyd by surprise throughout, much as he did in their first fight. Mayweather isn't getting any younger too.

I think Floyd's legs are the million dollar question.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'll certainly give it a try :ohdear: Prepare for a LOT of allusions to Jones-Tarver 2.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

I'll certainly give it a try :ohdear: Prepare for a LOT of allusions to Jones-Tarver 2.

I mean, Roy had a somewhat believable excuse. What was Floyd's for the first fight?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

he hosed too many hot girls all the time because he's loving masculine and straight

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, Roy had a somewhat believable excuse. What was Floyd's for the first fight?

He decided to make it closer and more competitive because he wanted to give the fans an entertaining fight, obviously.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Floyd talking about retirement gonna lose one saturday and fight forever like Roy.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KidDynamite posted:

Floyd talking about retirement gonna lose one saturday and fight forever like Roy.

Floyd to win via adalaide byrd decision, then retire.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/9/9/6129975/floyd-mayweather-on-ray-rice-worse-things-happen-not-caught-on-video

Floyd offers his opinion on Ray Rice, concludes that worse things happen all the time but just aren't caught on video. Like, say, things Floyd does.

:ughh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gregor Samsa posted:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/9/9/6129975/floyd-mayweather-on-ray-rice-worse-things-happen-not-caught-on-video

Floyd offers his opinion on Ray Rice, concludes that worse things happen all the time but just aren't caught on video. Like, say, things Floyd does.

His security guard was reevaluating his own life choices during that conversation.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Gregor Samsa posted:

If there anyone's opinion I value on matters of domestic abuse, it's Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

His security guard was reevaluating his own life choices during that conversation.

Thats not his security , its Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe. I believe he is Floyds advisor/entourage in chief.

• Locked thread