Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Smart Car posted:

I'd guess this but more so, in that the final ring is probably always the final one and is hideously overpowered, but you only get to enjoy it for a few random encounters before you have to give it away, and then that exact same overpowered effect will be used against you by the final boss.

That's positively normal by RPG standards. Of course you don't get to keep the overpowered gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

KataraniSword posted:

Riki's quest hates you, but the game still boils down to grinding up your team to a level where they'll bust faces, and then busting faces. And really, he's only a single albatross; four humans (or three humans + a mec, two humans + a mec + a mystic, etc) can still do more than enough damage to make up for his deficiency battle-wise. As long as you avoid the oft-hinted at final gently caress You of the quest, then it's not really that much harder than the others.

Yeah, you might say, "The game is about grinding so what does it matter that Riki is the least powerful main character? That's just more grinding to do." But after so many dick moves Riki's quest is still absolutely the hardest, if only for anal fatigue.

It still has the hardest boss in the goddamn game, whose challenge comes from a complete bullshit twist of course.

Inriri
Apr 25, 2014
If you're talking about the boss I think you are, not even grinding will help with it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I never finished this one scenario. I'll slap down $10, from my memory of it, on the bet that you just lose all the rings before the last fight. It seems the most obvious.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm gonna throw in "whole new party, can't use older party members other than Riki."

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I bet it's "Did you find the secret 10th ring? No? Well, I guess you'll have to do this quest over again."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bet you "Mei-Ling steals all the rings and can no longer be recruited to your party"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wait, wait, no. Remembering a later gently caress You I think was in this scenario, I'm going to change my vote to having to use the rings Chrono Cross style in some inane specific order, else you get a bad ending or just can't defeat the boss or something.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
I was duped by the big ol' giant gently caress YOU. I honestly can't think of a scenario that would be a bigger gently caress YOU than what this game did to 12 year old me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh oh oh! I'm going to guess "Game-crashing, memory card-corrupting glitch that they must have known about, as it's so painfully easy to trigger and is unique to Rikis quest as it involves a ring, but didn't bother to fix". Because that would be a massive "gently caress you".

That and all the other good answers were already taken.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

KirbyKhan posted:

I was duped by the big ol' giant gently caress YOU. I honestly can't think of a scenario that would be a bigger gently caress YOU than what this game did to 12 year old me.

Me either honestly

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Everyone posted:

Wild mass guessing

I love you guys so much. I almost feel bad about Dude having to match up to this expectation with the rest of the quest.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Randalor posted:

That and all the other good answers were already taken.

Platforming puzzle.

Randomized controls.

UI elements randomly renamed.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Derek Barona posted:

I love you guys so much. I almost feel bad about Dude having to match up to this expectation with the rest of the quest.

The amazing part is that several guesses so far have actually been pretty close to actual dick moves that we will encounter. Not the big one, not just yet, but a lot of them have been somewhat accurate to bull shittery that this scenario is going to pull out of it's proverbial hat.

Says something about bad design, someone not familiar with it all can just spout something mean to do the player (or some basic variation thereof) and odds are it's in there, somewhere.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

doing the obvious posted:

The amazing part is that several guesses so far have actually been pretty close to actual dick moves that we will encounter. Not the big one, not just yet, but a lot of them have been somewhat accurate to bull shittery that this scenario is going to pull out of it's proverbial hat.

Says something about bad design, someone not familiar with it all can just spout something mean to do the player (or some basic variation thereof) and odds are it's in there, somewhere.

At least one of the mentioned ones happens to everybody who tries to get the grail card, although, since Riki's locked out of runes, I suppose it counts double for him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have to admit, I'm now eagerly awaiting The Dick Move.

Though, I have to wonder, it seems like the vast majority of the game's content is pretty much the same across every character, to the point there there's an entire character story who's just "Go do all the common content and fight the final boss"

Doesn't it get a bit repetitive?

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Dr Pepper posted:

Though, I have to wonder, it seems like the vast majority of the game's content is pretty much the same across every character, to the point there there's an entire character story who's just "Go do all the common content and fight the final boss"

The only scenario where there is very, very little content unique to it is Lute. All the others are unique and memorable for good or bad reasons.

This is the only definitely bad one. The others all have some interesting ideas or character gimmicks in their scenario.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Dr Pepper posted:

Yes but this game is literally about joy in reptition

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm going to guess that when you get the last ring, it turns out you just succeeded in powering up the big bad guy whose plan this was all along, and it then sends you past a point of no return to a whole new section of the game cut off from all previous zones where all the enemies are super powered up and all the equipment that could help you survive it is way way way more loving expensive, so if you weren't already prepared enough and you were foolish enough to overwrite your save before you realize the situation you're in, you are now hosed for the rest of the game with no way out.

Just like The 7th Saga

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

Derek Barona posted:

That expectation will be matched, perhaps exceeded.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Dr Pepper posted:

I think this is partially due to the way I've been presenting things so I apologize. That being said, Asellus has a whole bunch of unique bosses and Red's scenario has more unique dungeons than any other quest so there's a lot to look forward to there. As far as Riki's quest goes, I think their might be a bit of a down period in terms of dick moves. Riki's quest is full of them, but they mostly occur at the begging and very end so there's going to be a few updates where the RQHY counter doesn't change that much.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Red and Asellus have some amazing things going for them, and they are very much the Best For Last, the scenarios that could have been excellent full games in their own right.

At the least, the game does a great job of making you FEEL the scenario style you're in, especially if you roll with it and build around it. Playing dressup super spies? Ultimate mage who defeats Hell? Ancient mec completing its thousands-years old programming to kill a genocide machine? All the same game and same basic pool of mechanics, but the flavor and presentation and variety give them all a decent sheen of unique style. Most true for Asellus and Red when the LP gets to them.

not riki though gently caress him just skip to whatever the end is seriously

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm going to guess that when you get the last ring, it turns out you just succeeded in powering up the big bad guy whose plan this was all along, and it then sends you past a point of no return to a whole new section of the game cut off from all previous zones where all the enemies are super powered up and all the equipment that could help you survive it is way way way more loving expensive, so if you weren't already prepared enough and you were foolish enough to overwrite your save before you realize the situation you're in, you are now hosed for the rest of the game with no way out.

Just like The 7th Saga

Oh you naive, innocent person.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

dude789 posted:

I think this is partially due to the way I've been presenting things so I apologize. That being said, Asellus has a whole bunch of unique bosses and Red's scenario has more unique dungeons than any other quest so there's a lot to look forward to there. As far as Riki's quest goes, I think their might be a bit of a down period in terms of dick moves. Riki's quest is full of them, but they mostly occur at the begging and very end so there's going to be a few updates where the RQHY counter doesn't change that much.

It is kind of important to reiterate how much of a tired, angry slog Riki's quest is in the meantime, especially if you have never dug into the mechanics of monsters because they just seemed so obtuse and bad in other scenarios. It might not be a "gently caress you" but it's still just a constant grind of sadness. I did Riki second-to-last and I remember thinking to myself, "I'm good enough to beat this game with 4 characters and 1 dead weight, so let's just brute force this poo poo and pretend it's not happening".

Shadoweh
Jan 4, 2013
I did themed parties for every hero, so I tried to use 5 monsters for Riki. It was harder, but I was willing to grind until those monsters got forms that weren't terrible, and three of them have good starter forms, one of which you're forced to recruit anyways. What made me break down and add Gen to the party was not being able to access my items due to monsters having no accessory slot for the Backpack. I hope at least Kylin gets a chance to be in a party.

Also, gently caress that one area.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Shadoweh posted:

Also, gently caress that one area.

Obligitory joke about how little that narrows it down with Riki.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

Obligitory joke about how little that narrows it down with Riki.

With Riki, that one area is probably the area where all the game's best gently caress you moments come in. All in a row.

I still think the gently caress you before the second to last boss fight is the biggest gently caress you, rather than the second to last boss fight or the IMO hilarious dickery of the final one.

I don't think you explained what the first gently caress you in Riki's quest was in his first update? Having to be a monster?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I just remembered it wasn't until after I beat Riki's campaign that I learned that you could move monster's skills around so you could keep the cool ones and they wouldn't 100% change each time the monster changed shape. 'Cause, you know, why WOULD the game start explaining important mechanics like that when they were relevant?

That's like a Game-Doesn't-Give-a-gently caress-About-You dick move becoming a Riki's-Quest-Hates-You dick move.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I'm really glad to read all this complaining about Riki's quest, it makes my younger self feel better. I loved Riki and his design for some reason back when I played this game, but I never got anywhere near close to beating it since I sucked rear end at the battling and couldn't figure out monsters so I'd inevitably get outclassed and be unable to move on, so it was just a constant cycle of restarting Riki's quest, trying some other people and failing at them too, then coming back. I was really very bad at this game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Same here. As a kid, Riki's never felt particularly bad, since the game itself was pretty confusing overall. Actually I remember hating Asellus' scenario a whole lot more, and based on what I've read in this thread it seems I understood Mystics even less than I understood monsters. So I'm sort of interested in seeing that because everyone else seems to love it.

The only scenarios I ever beat were Blue, Red, and T260-G.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 8, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Back when I got this game I picked Asellus first, cause she looked the coolest. And despite not understanding jack poo poo about the game mechanics, I eventually stumbled my way through her whole quest. But since I'd jumped right to one of the best ones and really liked her scenario a lot, whenever I tried to pick up someone else I just couldn't get as into it. I vaguely remember wanting to try and get through Riki's quest though, cause the monster gimmick seemed cool. But I think I gave up real early on because I hated Tanzer so much.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

Clarste posted:

Same here. As a kid, Riki's never felt particularly bad, since the game itself was pretty confusing overall. Actually I remember hating Asellus' scenario a whole lot more, and based on what I've read in this thread it seems I understood Mystics even less than I understood monsters. So I'm sort of interested in seeing that because everyone else seems to love it.

Her scenario is one of the few that feels like it was as close to complete as complete goes in this game. It has a lot of unique aspects to it, several awesome sidekicks unique to her, great music and challenging bosses.

Difficulty wise, it's second only to Riki. Unlike him however, the challenge in her scenario is just well-implemented difficulty assuming you know how to play the game. Not just stacking unfair things against you like you constantly have to endure in Riki's scenario.

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
This game could probably benefit the most from a square remake. Even a poor square remake. I don't think it can get any more broken??

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Like a good half of Square PSX JRPGs, it could benefit from actually getting finished.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

Back when I got this game I picked Asellus first, cause she looked the coolest. And despite not understanding jack poo poo about the game mechanics, I eventually stumbled my way through her whole quest. But since I'd jumped right to one of the best ones and really liked her scenario a lot, whenever I tried to pick up someone else I just couldn't get as into it. I vaguely remember wanting to try and get through Riki's quest though, cause the monster gimmick seemed cool. But I think I gave up real early on because I hated Tanzer so much.

I played red first and man it was so cool being a super hero.... Until that one gotcha that I didn't read as a kid. I hit a road block at the park because I didn't understand.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

doing the obvious posted:

Difficulty wise, it's second only to Riki. Unlike him however, the challenge in her scenario is just well-implemented difficulty assuming you know how to play the game. Not just stacking unfair things against you like you constantly have to endure in Riki's scenario.

Yeah, but you can get an awesome thing really easy in the beginning (easy to the point that when I went without it on my last play through I considered it a self handicap not to take it). It can carry you through the first half of her quest all by itself.

Which is of course a mistake. I've hit that wall where I wasn't op anymore and... :downsgun:

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

There are a few tricks in her scenario to help you along aside from the toys you can buy at the start. One of which requires trickery and very specific conditions to be met, but the reward for it is...pretty damned good. I'm sure we'll cover this once the time comes for it, though.

I still think the best part of her scenario (sweet tunes aside) is story wise it's easily the most fleshed out. Combine that with difficulty that's challenging, but rewarding...yeah, easily one of the better scenarios.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Riki not sneaky. This flies in the face of all previous experience.

I'm guessing the reason he's locked out of Rune is that Tanzer doesn't reappear and you only get the Rune if you know Runes are a thing?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

Glazius posted:

Riki not sneaky. This flies in the face of all previous experience.

I'm guessing the reason he's locked out of Rune is that Tanzer doesn't reappear and you only get the Rune if you know Runes are a thing?

It's twofold, the first being exactly that. The other one being that because we're here for something completely different, we end up going somewhere completely different as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Asellus's scenario was also my favorite, but it has some pretty awful bullshit in it. The story feels complete and there's tons of cool unique stuff, but they clearly didn't have time to implement how you are actually supposed to progress through it. Figuring out what to do if you don't read a guide or get lucky enough to stumble across it can be truly excruciating. Of course, that's true for most of the game, but Asellus's quest explicitly wastes the player's time in a way that other scenarios don't.

• Locked thread