Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There isn't another legal version of meth they're using now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm not disrespecting caffeine, I like caffeinated pre-workouts like NO Explode and C4. I just want an alternative that I can use on days that I want to workout but I have to go to bed early because I have to wake up early.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

I'm not disrespecting caffeine, I like caffeinated pre-workouts like NO Explode and C4. I just want an alternative that I can use on days that I want to workout but I have to go to bed early because I have to wake up early.

If you can't do any stimulants for sleep reasons, I'd say just BA, AAKG, Creatine.

EDIT: Comedy option - take stimulants anyways and get a script for Ambien, haha

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I think I will just buy powdered poo poo and just use as little as I can.

Also amazon is asking my is I want "cigarette" rolling papers with the scale I am looking at. LOL

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

WELP, just bought a bunch of bulk white powder.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Christoff posted:

There isn't another legal version of meth they're using now?

A lot of places around socal are still selling 1,3 dmaa powder, I think the loophole is just some dumb not for consumption label.

Here's one of the shops: http://www.nutrivitashop.com/10pu1dmusp.html

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I think I'm going to stop lifting and just focus on doing a lot of running and push-ups/sit-ups since I've read that you do a ton of running in OCS and I figure between BCT and OCS it will be a while before I have time to go lift at a gym again. Wish I had a hill to run up nearby though, whenever I google stuff about OCS I keep reading about a "cardiac hill" but we don't have any in southern Florida.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Mustang posted:

I think I'm going to stop lifting and just focus on doing a lot of running and push-ups/sit-ups since I've read that you do a ton of running in OCS and I figure between BCT and OCS it will be a while before I have time to go lift at a gym again. Wish I had a hill to run up nearby though, whenever I google stuff about OCS I keep reading about a "cardiac hill" but we don't have any in southern Florida.

You should focus on that stuff, but weight training will keep you well balanced. Doing a poo poo ton of pushups will over develop your front delts and reduce over head strength/flexibility make poo poo like log pt and swimming more difficult than it needs to be. Things like side lateral raises and rear delt flys may not be directly applicable, but they help over all shoulder health. That's just one example.

rly makes u think

I'd Keep traditional weight lifting to 2-3 times a week for half hour to 45 minutes and keep rests super short like 30sec to 1 minute and use light to moderate weight.

A well balanced body is less prone to injury.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Stick to your current lifting routine, and just throw in HIIT runs and endurance training for cardio. Push ups, sit ups, pull ups, running, upper body round robin, etc are nice targets to focus on, but don't neglect the rest of your system. Think of those maneuvers as auxiliary functions, and drive towards overall fitness, incorporate that PFT into your goals.

Having a well-rounded fitness advantage isn't going to hurt you one bit; you'll need both strength and endurance if you want to destroy the targets ahead. Don't forget about mobility training, proper rest, and mind your nutrition as well. Like elitegarbageman said, injury prevention is key, so do you best to cover all your bases, and stay ahead of your peers who'll break and recycle early due to whatever dumb thing comes around.

e: if you want to get that hill-like stimulation going, try raised toe farmer's walks, or weighted lunges, focus on form and you'll be using similar support groups.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 9, 2014

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Alright thanks guys, in that case I think I'll lift 3 days a week and do HIIT runs/endurance training on the days in between and then finish the week with a 3-5 mile run. Will come up with a more concrete plan tomorrow after work.

Definitely going to add lunges to my routine, those hills are going to kick my rear end.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Does anybody here use kettlebells consistently? People were going apeshit about those a while back but I don't think it's too popular anymore. Then again, if you can rock one or two of those 32kg ones it seemed you'd be well set to do anything physically demanding, really.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Never really got the point since you can do almost all the same poo poo with a dumbell

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I like my kettlebells because sometimes I'm too lazy to set the bar up but still want to work out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The way I'm looking at it is you usually have very few options on kettlebells so you're hardly ever increasing the weight unless you have a gym that has a ton of them

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I do some kb swings once or twice a week, and that's about it these days. They're great if you don't have access to a gym since you can do quite a bit with them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
What can you do with kettle bells that you can't do with a barbell?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
they're good for core exercises like one armed snatches, presses, swing variants. turkish get ups and goblet squats. Those are kinda a bitch to do with a big rear end barbell. You can also use them for some traditional dumbbell lifts if for some reason you can't make it to the gym.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

elite_garbage_man posted:

they're good for core exercises like one armed snatches, presses, swing variants. turkish get ups and goblet squats. Those are kinda a bitch to do with a big rear end barbell. You can also use them for some traditional dumbbell lifts if for some reason you can't make it to the gym.

Good points. Like Christof said I've never really been exposed to a full set of them. Its always a random collection of super light and super heavy.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I have three kettlebells. I have a 45 minute routine I do in the morning before school. It's not the be-all, end-all of exercise equipment, but it's pretty drat good.

Pros -
Kettlebell swings beat the poo poo out of running. I haven't ran in months.
I don't have to go anywhere to work out. I wake up, take my pre-workout, and get to it. (There are many pluses to not needing to go to a gym, especially during resolution time)
The cost of three kettlebells is about twice as much as an annual gym membership and they're yours forever.
As someone previously noted, if you can fling around a 32kg piece of metal with reckless abandon in a controlled manner you will most certainly be anything but weak.

Cons -
The potential to build strength just isn't as great as it is with plates/barbell, for obvious reasons. If your goal is raw strength, kettlebell movements are only going to supplement your workouts.
weights heavier than 32kg would be kind of a pain in the rear end to own.
The initial prices can be off putting. If you want one try looking for a sale online.
The potential to break your own poo poo is pretty real. It's a big piece of metal.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I have three kettlebells. I have a 45 minute routine I do in the morning before school. It's not the be-all, end-all of exercise equipment, but it's pretty drat good.

Pros -
I don't have to go anywhere to work out. I wake up, take my pre-workout, and get to it. (There are many pluses to not needing to go to a gym, especially during resolution time)
The cost of three kettlebells is about twice as much as an annual gym membership and they're yours forever.
As someone previously noted, if you can fling around a 32kg piece of metal with reckless abandon in a controlled manner you will most certainly be anything but weak.

Cons -
The potential to build strength just isn't as great as it is with plates/barbell, for obvious reasons. If your goal is raw strength, kettlebell movements are only going to supplement your workouts.
weights heavier than 32kg would be kind of a pain in the rear end to own.
The initial prices can be off putting. If you want one try looking for a sale online.
The potential to break your own poo poo is pretty real. It's a big piece of metal.

Mind posting your routine?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Mind posting your routine?

Something like this -
One arm press - 3 x 5 (both sides)
Two arm press - 3 x 5
Goblet squat - 3 x 5
Overhead squat - 3 x 5
Kettlebell swings - 3 x 1 minute (although try to go for longer, see if you can make your heart explode!*)

(I started with a 30lb, moved up to a 55, now I'm on the 70lb/32kg)

Pushups - 5 x 20

(I like to vary the different hand positions, although some days I'll do 2 x 50)

The hundred
The roll-up x 5
bent leg stretch x 10
straight leg stretch x 10

(Yup, that's all pilates stuff)

plank x 1 minute

The sweet release of death x 1*

*Please do not actually attempt to make your heart explode and/or die.

EDIT: Progress pic I took last night. Am I full of poo poo or not? You decide!

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 14, 2014

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I absolutely cannot do swings without feeling like I'm getting nothing out of it. I know that means I have to be doing them wrong, but so far everyone who has tried to show me has been poo poo at explaining or demonstrating it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Aranan posted:

I absolutely cannot do swings without feeling like I'm getting nothing out of it. I know that means I have to be doing them wrong, but so far everyone who has tried to show me has been poo poo at explaining or demonstrating it.

The only thing I can say is to keep your abs taut, back straight and push through your heels. Your arms should stay straight, but the only thing they should really be doing is holding on to the kettlebell for dear life. I feel like it helps to imagine myself pushing the ground down while pulling my shoulders back. I feel like even if you were doing it wrong swinging around a piece of metal for an appreciable length of time should wear you out. Maybe you're going too light? I've never had anybody explain them to me - I just read (and re-read) articles on it, like the Pavel books or the book by the cross fit guy, Jeff Martone. You can always look up tutorials and examples on youtube, as well. When I say it's vastly superior to running, I ain't lying. gently caress running. I've achieved better results in a fraction of the time with kettlebell swings.

I would also point out that I do the 'russian' swing that ends at chest height, not the cross fit style 'american' swing where it goes completely vertical. I feel like I would probably break some poo poo if I tried that.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

Aranan posted:

Yeah I'm with you on that one.

I either feel nothing from it on an exercise like that, or I hurt myself doing stuff like presses with it. I tend to bang my wrists with it.

I still use them, lightly, probably once a week. I just do the posted work out at one of the gyms on base and sometimes they do them, sometimes they don't.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Started a new strength an conditioning cycle today. Got 235 for 10 reps on bench. We're off to a good start.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

gently caress at my peak I was barely getting like 215/220ish for 3x5

My bench has always been poo poo. Always sucked at push ups. No matter how much I do both. I can be squatting 250 and dead lifting 300 doing 60lb weighted pull ups but yup

I prefer dumbell bench it just sucks you can pretty much only go in 10 lb jumps so it's tough to move up

If you have a buddy I do love some weighted push ups

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 16, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

gently caress at my peak I was barely getting like 215/220ish for 3x5

My bench has always been poo poo.

This is making me super self conscious of my lovely bench. :negative:

Good news:
Gonna start squatting/deadlifting 205lbs this week. My new patented SUPERMEGA DIHYDROGEN OXIDE HYPER Pre-workout turned out to be ok

Bad news:
Gotta reset my bench press and OHP this week. Last week my 3x5 for benchpress supposed be 145, instead I did 4x3x2 twice that week. Tried doing 110 on the OHP today and did 4x3x2. Hello 110 bench-press and 70 OHP. :smith:

:gonk: news:
Saw an old man drying out his butthole with a hairdryer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

:gonk: news:
Saw an old man drying out his butthole with a hairdryer.

Why is it always old men that do weird naked poo poo in the locker rooms?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
:feelsgood:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

No shame in resetting OHP

Also,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As I get older I understand it more and more.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Being an enlisted scrub you just see so many dicks you don't even care. Especially on ship

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Is meat gazing your pre-workout?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Joined up with an actual Crossfit affiliate gym, in a neighboring town of 3,000 people no less. Good to have people who take their exercise pretty drat serious when compared to where I had been going for over a year. Not to mention I don't have to worry about hogging the old weight-room anymore or find 15 guys all standing around doing nothing and blocking all the work space.

Downside, the crushing feeling of inferiority when you realize no routine will make you as fast and strong(relative to size) than the guy who runs the place...but at least they let me workout shirtless. What's the point of working out if I can't admire my pump in the mirror mid-workout?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So how much are you paying a month? $200? $300?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

No shame in resetting OHP

Its OK, I just punished my body by doing 3 hours of BJJ!

gently caress you body, when I want you to do 110lbs OHP you PUSH that loving barbell.

NO FLUNKING OUT!!! :argh:

Christoff posted:

Being an enlisted scrub you just see so many dicks you don't even care. Especially on ship

Or in my case showing my dick to everyone else.
You just don't ask me to show you my dick and expect me not to do it. :colbert:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I've been crazy busy so last week I only got a couple workouts in. Luckily it was a deload week so I didn't feel too bad about it. Just started the 3rd cycle of 5/3/1 and its honestly pretty amazing how steadily I'm moving up. Adding BBB for assistance has been working out perfectly.

Christoff posted:

Met up with an old friend of mine this weekend and his wife is getting ready to start a Crossfit gym. They are both really into it but not obnoxiously so unlike a lot of Crossfit people. I mentioned to him that the main problem with those places (besides some of the questionable stuff they do but I didn't get on that soapbox) is the price. He said they are planning on making their prices substantially lower than the other places in their town. Its crazy how much they charge given that most of the costs are up front and the monthly overhead is pretty low. I asked him if insurance was the reason those places charged so much and he said it was pretty reasonable. Basically he said those CF gyms are just cashing in on a fad. Pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the pricing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Christoff posted:

Jesus is it that much? I pay $35 a month for Anytime Fitness. Only reason I go there is because I like to workout when I get out of work at 3:00 AM. Squat rack is always free.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Jesus is it that much? I pay $35 a month for Anytime Fitness. Only reason I go there is because I like to workout when I get out of work at 3:00 AM. Squat rack is always free.

There are two places around here that I know of and they both are around 200 a month if IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Just look up your local box! Any middle class area is going to be $150-250. I'm sure there's cheaper but yeah

$250 but only $225 if you pay 12 months up front!

It's ridiculous