Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just don't know why people here watch Movie Bob, because he's not that great and everybody acknowledges he's not that great and he only gets brought up when he does something dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just don't know why people here watch Movie Bob, because he's not that great and everybody acknowledges he's not that great and he only gets brought up when he does something dumb.

Because for every three stupid things Bob says, he says one interesting thing that makes everything worth it. For example, while still I don't agree with his opinions on The Hunger Games movies, I think he brought up some valid points in his "Pink Is Not The Problem" episode of The Big Picture.

Also, its just one guy who keeps bringing him up.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

That mostly fits every critic that gets posted here though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OctoberCountry posted:

That mostly fits every critic that gets posted here though.

I defy you to find someone saying bad things about RLM or finding some dumb public relations disaster Todd in the Shadows did.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I defy you to find someone saying bad things about RLM or finding some dumb public relations disaster Todd in the Shadows did.

Fine, I'll say something bad about RLM. I can't get through the first 10 minutes of the lauded Phantom Menace review because I'm a shallow jerkwad who can't stand Mr. Plinkett's voice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also as I've said before they've started to really phone in their content in order to maximize revenue, doing shallow stuff like "Best of the Worst" that mostly appeals to kids and teens who aren't able to schedule bad movie nights with their own friends. They're also not quite as insightful in their reviews on Half in the Bag as some would claim, since HitB is more off-the-cuff and the Plinkett reviews are much more researched and structured.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have fairly regular 'bad movie nights' and I love Best of the Worst because usually there's at least one in there I never even HEARD of.

I do hate Plinkett though, the voice grates me and the boring 'ha ha get it he's a serial killer' jokes were dumb.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I tried to get into RLM, but I never really could. I watched a few of their things, including ones people said were can't miss, and they were funny, but I never really got interested enough to watch the rest of their stuff.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mind the walrus posted:

Also as I've said before they've started to really phone in their content in order to maximize revenue, doing shallow stuff like "Best of the Worst" that mostly appeals to kids and teens who aren't able to schedule bad movie nights with their own friends.

Best of the Worst is the best series of videos on the internet and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
This may be a minority opinion but I personally get a lot more enjoyment out of internet critics when they do stuff that could be considered "phoning it in" (specifically, expressing their true opinions in a somewhat unedited format.) For example I'm not a huge fan of the AVGN stuff where he has a big dumb skit and goes on long exaggerated rants, but I love monster madness and his other stuff that's his genuine opinion. Similarly I think Nostalgia Critic has gotten to a point where he exaggerates his dumb ranting and gunwaving stuff too much, but I still really like Sibling Rivalry and his genuine movie vlogs.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Listening to a person is more satisfying than listening to a character, one might say.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Jsor posted:

Fine, I'll say something bad about RLM. I can't get through the first 10 minutes of the lauded Phantom Menace review because I'm a shallow jerkwad who can't stand Mr. Plinkett's voice.

Jack Leppard's videogame standards are almost Chris Borish, with Rich almost having to reel him in all the time, the most emotional and angry they ever got during a stream was over a teacher going "Yeah I couldn't make it through Dancer In The Dark, it was messing me up", the Boyhood poo poo almost, almost reached Brad Jones with Terrence Malik levels, they made a whiny sketch about jokes being criticized with FuckerBot, and the last time a couple of folk wrote a coherent piece on how Mr. Plinkett was honestly hosed up (And that someone was Ryan North with Kelly Turnbull), people on this thread tried to pin it "on a couple of nobodies on tumblr".

As for Todd In The Shadows, the only reason he doesn't have PR gently caress ups is because he doesn't let his poo poo grow as much when he says awful poo poo nowadays.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like RLM a bunch, but I haven't watched the prequel videos. I just don't care enough about Star Wars.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Considered yourself defied. The Plinkett Star Wars reviews really irritated me with the serial killer schtick - which was all the more irritating because the analysis of the films was smart and insightful. That says something coming from someone who couldn't finish watching even the first prequel and wasn't much of a fan of the first trilogy. I had to mute the video when it came to those basement scenes.

E: What I mean is, I really couldn't have given a drat about the prequel trilogy and even so the analysis was really engaging for me. And yet the serial killer skits made me feel depressed and degraded and I'm not a prude. It just added NOTHING to the review nor was it relevant to the subject.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 7, 2014

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kunster posted:

As for Todd In The Shadows, the only reason he doesn't have PR gently caress ups is because he doesn't let his poo poo grow as much when he says awful poo poo nowadays.

When has Todd ever said anything awful? Are you a giant Chris Brown fan or something?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I love the Plinkett videos but the RLM crew have been phoning it in for a while now, the early Half In the Bags were really insightful and well thought out (the Jack & Jill one stands out as some of their best work) but now their movie reviews have become lazy self congratulatory shlock where they laugh at how bad movies are despite the Space Cop trailer looking like it was made by a group of unfunny 14 year old sci-fi fans with a camera. Best of the Worst is just a botched attempt at MST3K without any of the charm or humor.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, when is the next Plinkett review out? The last one was nearly two years ago.

The only complaint I have about Todd in the Shadows is that he occasionally makes bad choices for One Hit Wonderland, the bands should have an interesting story behind them if he is going to do a whole video about their career. That aside of all the internet critics I follow he is probably the most consistent in terms of quality.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubey posted:

When has Todd ever said anything awful? Are you a giant Chris Brown fan or something?

I'd be curious to, I'd think most people would be fine with the stuff he's saying, given his target audience and Lindsey's. Maybe because he touched the poo poo during #GamerGate? Otherwise, I can't think of anything he's said that's particularly obnoxious.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

E: What I mean is, I really couldn't have given a drat about the prequel trilogy and even so the analysis was really engaging for me. And yet the serial killer skits made me feel depressed and degraded and I'm not a prude. It just added NOTHING to the review nor was it relevant to the subject.

The scene where he's picking up Star Wars toys in his murder basement is loving hilarious. Plinkett is basically the natural climax to the life of a shut-in Star Wars nerd--murderous, sexually deviant and he eats like poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

the Boyhood poo poo almost, almost reached Brad Jones with Terrence Malik levels,

Woah, don't say things you can't take back, nothing will ever be as bad as Brad Jones's obsession with Terrence Malik.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

The only complaint I have about Todd in the Shadows is that he occasionally makes bad choices for One Hit Wonderland, the bands should have an interesting story behind them if he is going to do a whole video about their career. That aside of all the internet critics I follow he is probably the most consistent in terms of quality.

From what I understand, he generally does not know a whole lot about the artists he covers until he starts making the episode and researching them. Sometimes that means the artists don't have much of a story, but at that point he's committed anyway.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The scene where he's picking up Star Wars toys in his murder basement is loving hilarious. Plinkett is basically the natural climax to the life of a shut-in Star Wars nerd--murderous, sexually deviant and he eats like poo poo.

Neckbeard, basement-dwelling weirdo with SW obsession and creepy attitude to women. Yes, now you mention it I do see the connection. I withdraw my last objection.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Cubey posted:

I'll refer you to the exchange where he bemoaned the american LGBT public for not 100% supporting Macklemore or during the times where Lindsey basically uses him as ballast for when she defends something *liberal* that happened to poo poo on asian folk. Or him putting a scared as gently caress Kanye West during the Katrina Telethon as *being him being on his wacky and uppity zone*.

Also I find it amusing that you're telling me the only reason one could be critical of him was because of Chris Brown when he said jack poo poo about Cee-Lo Green defending himself of roofing a woman a few years ago recently or the part on his "Turn Up The Music" video where he says disliking other folk that did awful poo poo was tiresome.

I can let him off the hook on a bunch of these things because it happened years ago and that maybe he can look at the poo poo he wrote and put on his videos in private and go "Wow, what the gently caress did I write here", but don't be all "I dare you to find a PR horror he ever did", given that stuff like this can go under the radar for all sorts of reasons and that poking the guy would create another hornet's nest falling and shooting internet critics vaguetweeting and dogwhistling in all sorts of directions about it.

Woah, don't say things you can't take back, nothing will ever be as bad as Brad Jones's obsession with Terrence Malik.

Almost! I can admit I was exaggerating and that most likely in 2016 we won't still be looking at Rich Evans moaning about Boyhood on a Twitch stream or some poo poo.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 7, 2014

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Terrence Malik is overrated arthouse garbage and i will side with RLM and brad jones in any debate over it.

exapt for boyhood, i cut off my own dick becuase my offspring will never make anything as amazing as boyhood. gently caress YA BOYHOOD. *throws computer out window*

EDIT: i am just having fun, i haven't seen a malik film in my life but he is not my taste of film. not everyone need to be fans of arthouse films to understand movies as a artform.

also to change subjects about this quote at the end of last page.

Benny the Snake posted:

That's what makes Lindsay a much better critic than Bob. Lindsay detached herself from her like of "Ender's Game" to recognize that Orson Scott Card is an irredeemable person and used Chick-Fil-A as a metaphor. Bob, however, didn't detach himself from his biases when he reviewed "The Giver" adaptation. He has a clear bias against YA lit--watch his review of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" where he wondered aloud "Why aren't there any sexy goth-chicks having lots of sex in Hogwarts?" (I'm not kidding)

I still have no clue how he is conserderd one of the pro femanist in this twitter war when he acts like a manchild who cry for gammergate and whatnot.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 7, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

I still have no clue how he is conserderd one of the pro femanist in this twitter war when he acts like a manchild who cry for gammergate and whatnot.

Is this a dril quote?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Is this a dril quote?

I don't know anymore.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Neckbeard, basement-dwelling weirdo with SW obsession and creepy attitude to women. Yes, now you mention it I do see the connection. I withdraw my last objection.

Also it should be noted that the Plinkett character started with reviews of the Star Trek movies, so the "shut-in sci-fi nerd gone too far" angle should be even more obvious.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Apparently, the next Tropes vs Women is going to involve Alien somehow. The poo poo is already flying. Again. :sigh:

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/508012973235785728

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 7, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DStecks posted:

Also it should be noted that the Plinkett character started with reviews of the Star Trek movies, so the "shut-in sci-fi nerd gone too far" angle should be even more obvious.

It's also a neon-flashing sign that "even when these criticisms come from the worst type of person/fan they're still valid and not just nitpicking." I rag on RLM but their use of Plinkett was a small stroke of genius.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Violet_Sky posted:

Apparently, the next Tropes vs Women is going to involve Alien somehow. The poo poo is already flying. Again. :sigh:

Hmm... given what I know of her school of feminism* she's probably going to tackle writing female characters as men (since Ripley was originally written as a man). If so, this is probably going to get her poo poo from some feminists too since some schools really adore Alien for the way it portrayed her. (Mostly second wave ones)

It should be an interesting episode at least, though whether I agree with her or not could really go either way on this topic.

* IIRC, her Master's thesis was about the harm in writing women the same way as men in fantasy and sci-fi.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 7, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Writing a woman as a man is kind of a weird kind of criticism for me. If Ripley were written "properly" how differently would she have acted in that movie? I'm completely ignorant of that sort of criticism, to be honest. I'll probably watch that video if only to see how her ideal Ripley would have done.

Edit: I mean, what does "acting like a woman" constitute? For that matter, what does "acting like a man" constitute? We live in an age where a clear definition of those answers varies person to person, so anything she says it'll just be what it means to her. Though, if she does what she did in her early couple videos, the ones I actually did watch, the tone will be as-a-matter-of-fact definitive definition.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 7, 2014

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'd recommend reading the intro to her thesis. It's a very accessible read, and not just accessible "for an academic article."

The argument isn't really that characters like Ripley are bad, per se, but rather that lead female characters are almost always describable with masculine traits. Physical strength, confidence, and so on. Whereas women who could be described with words like "meek" or "motherly" or whatever are almost always side characters and/or sexualized and cater to male gaze.

I do have problems with it since it starts getting into weird areas of gender essentialism and stuff. There's a bit of a schism in feminism -- are feminine traits devalued in the media because they're feminine, or are less valuable traits considered feminine because women are devalued? Sarkeesian seems to take the perspective of the former school of thought. We should see more kind, sensitive, soft, motherly characters in leading roles in sci-fi and fantasy.

This is in counter to a more second-wave feminist school of thought which (to oversimplify a ton) is more along the lines of "women should cast off these pansy, submissive traits and adopt the mannerisms of men". Please note that both of these are warped descriptions of the actual nuanced arguments, don't take my characterization and run with it. What I said is just the very broad gist.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 7, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks, I'll give that a read.

I think a character having traits based on their gender, race, creed, orientation can be kind of an iffy zone and can lead to stereotypes. We're just at an age where traits normally associated with all that doesn't apply any more. If the character is a woman she has to have these traits, if a man these traits, if black these traits, if gay these traits - it can can to problematic characters. Women in action and fantasy tend to be badasses while in dramas they tend to be motherly, sensitive and soft. Quality of said writing not withstanding. I think it's just staples of the genre. Feminine traits in the kind of genres Alien and Aliens are in don't mesh much when the main draw of the genre starts rearing its head, which is horror and action respectively. In character moments, sure, but once that alien shows up you can bet she'll adapt more "masculine" traits to survive.

I think it's just comes down to context and what the story demands of the characters. Unfortunately, in her early videos that I watched, she tend to ignore context and attack the situations as if they exited in a void.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Violet_Sky posted:

I wonder if she'll cover Veronica Cartwright's character, because holy poo poo does she become the most typical "WAAAGH! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! WAGGGGH!" horror movie character for the second half of that movie. Both times I've seen "Alien" on the big screen, with an audience, her lines would get either bad laughs or audible groans. She's an awful part of an otherwise pretty stellar movie.

I actually just rewatched "Alien 3" recently, and Ripley's character is quite interesting in that one. Sigourney Weaver really sells her as trying to hold onto some semblance of sanity after everyone she's met in the last two movies has died horribly, and her love interest gets killed off less than halfway through.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Robert Denby posted:

I wonder if she'll cover Veronica Cartwright's character, because holy poo poo does she become the most typical "WAAAGH! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! WAGGGGH!" horror movie character for the second half of that movie.

I kind of liked that, because both she and Ripley are professional women working alongside a crew of men early on, and the tomboyish one is a bit more fun-loving compared to the straight-laced Ripley. Ripley's kind of cold through much of the movie, and succumbs to anger and rage at the end. Cartwright sort of works as a juxtaposition to Ripley in a way, although that may be reading a bit too much into their casting. I always considered her to be among the more "innocent" of the crew members, in that she just seems to be...I dunno, nice and kind of upbeat and she breaks and breaks hard.

Violet_Sky posted:

If her entire point is about Ripley's underwear scene, I'm going to laugh even harder than I usually do at Anita's videos. I'm hoping she at least gives nods to the Bechdel test in regards to Alien, since it's the original citation of the aforementioned test.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
In Anita's latest video:

Can someone explain the context behind the God of War III bit? Is Kratos supposed to be a psychopath? Because holy hell, what did I just watch? :stonklol:

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Violet_Sky posted:

In Anita's latest video:

Can someone explain the context behind the God of War III bit? Is Kratos supposed to be a psychopath? Because holy hell, what did I just watch? :stonklol:

Haven't watched the video yet, but yes, Kratos is basically completely evil by the end of the series, to the point where I couldn't even begin to guess which part Anita showed. The entire series is a Frank Miller-esque mix of gritty darkness and embarrassingly stupid juvenilia.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

In Anita's latest video:

Kratos is a very low hanging fruit. The first game kind of presents him as an anti-hero but he's, ultimately, just an rear end in a top hat that you cannot emphasize with. Especially so in the second game. I never played the third since I fell off the series after the second one (thanks to Kratos mainly and the gameplay wasn't really doing it for me overall). He's like Tony Montana except Tony Montana had charisma and a little bit of ethics in him. Kratos is just reprehensible.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Violet_Sky posted:

In Anita's latest video:

To be fair, everyone in the God of War series is a psychopathic rear end in a top hat, but Kratos is probably the worst since you're playing him and his mission is to wreck everyone's poo poo in the worst ways possible because he thinks he's in the right.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

Kratos is a very low hanging fruit. The first game kind of presents him as an anti-hero but he's, ultimately, just an rear end in a top hat that you cannot emphasize with. Especially so in the second game. I never played the third since I fell off the series after the second one (thanks to Kratos mainly and the gameplay wasn't really doing it for me overall). He's like Tony Montana except Tony Montana had charisma and a little bit of ethics in him. Kratos is just reprehensible.

In the third game they make a half-hearted attempt to humanize Kratos by giving him an innocent Morality Pet character for the last half of the game and mashing the HE WAS A FAMILY MAN ONCE button like nobody's business, but it doesn't stick one bit.

He's still a screamy self-serving ragetastic murderphile, only now his horrifying acts of evil are now couched in a moral grounding purely through circumstance and not as a result of anything Kratos himself actively does at any point in the game.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The scene with the woman in Poseidon's chambers in God of War 3 is easily one of the most reprehensible things I've ever seen in video games, the loving awful achievement you get for it just makes it 10 times worse. gently caress that game.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

The scene with the woman in Poseidon's chambers in God of War 3 is easily one of the most reprehensible things I've ever seen in video games, the loving awful achievement you get for it just makes it 10 times worse. gently caress that game.

Yeah, that scene was loving gross and really unnecessary.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 8, 2014

• Locked thread