Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sergg posted:

You do realize that ISIS used to be called "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" by Western journalists, right?

Zarqawi, the man who founded the organization in 1999, was killed in 2006 back when it just called itself the Islamic State of Iraq. Then Abu Ayyub al-Masri and Abu Abdullah al-Rashid al-Baghdadi its next leaders were both killed in 2010. Then Colonel Bakr was killed in 2013.

It is clear that killing its top leaders has very little effect on its overall organizational apparatus. It lives and dies based on popular support from local Sunnis.

A successor state existing does not mean that the original state did not fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

qkkl posted:

I'm not very familiar with genocides, but why do the prisoners literally run to lay down so they can get executed? Wouldn't it be more fun to try to run away and get shot in the back while feeling the wind through your hair?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sergg posted:

You do realize that ISIS used to be called "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" by Western journalists, right?

I thought Zarqawi adopted the Al-Qaeda brand directly to maximize fear in US forces and rally the disaffected (saying 'this is the meme that hurt them before, it can hurt them again')

If the formal name was 'Islamic State in Iraq' and the information apparatus went 'tohayto tomahto' and used 'AQ in Iraq' that would not surprise me. Zarqawi and Zawahiri could feed back on each other both directly and indirectly until the Syrian War drove the change into ISIL.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

McDowell posted:

I thought Zarqawi adopted the Al-Qaeda brand directly to maximize fear in US forces and rally the disaffected (saying 'this is the meme that hurt them before, it can hurt them again')

If the formal name was 'Islamic State in Iraq' and the information apparatus went 'tohayto tomahto' and used 'AQ in Iraq' that would not surprise me. Zarqawi and Zawahiri could feed back on each other both directly and indirectly until the Syrian War drove the change into ISIL.

stupid question, but wasn't Zarqawi loving nuts, like so nuts bin laden condemned him a bunch of times. also i read somewhere Zarqawi hosed kids or something heinous like that. So i can See Isis eventually growing out of somebody like him.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 8, 2014

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

pengun101 posted:

stupid question, but wasn't Zarqawi loving nuts, like so nuts bin laden condemned him a bunch of times. also i read somewhere Zarqawi hosed kids or something heinous like that. So i can See Isis eventually growing out of somebody like him.

I never heard anything about pedophilia. Sounds like PSYOPS to me.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

I know pederasty is still common in traditional tribal cultures in Afghanistan and possibly/probably the rest of the ME, maybe they're referring to that?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

His 2nd wife was 14 when they got married and had a child at 15.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice

Ragingsheep posted:

Point taken. I'm not going to get into one of those weird arguments about of age of consent to defend a mass murderer.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

Summon up fedora-clad ISIS twitterati to lecture you about "ephebophilia" in Arabic; summon a whirlwind.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
that was one bad joke

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 8, 2014

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

computer parts posted:

A successor state existing does not mean that the original state did not fail.

It's not a "successor state", it's the exact same organization, unless you wanna argue that it becomes a wholly different one every time it makes a minor change to its name and you think that "Blackwater USA", "Xe Services", and "Academi" have nothing to do with each other. Phillip Morris and Altria? Totally different bro, promise. Phillip Morris was the bad one. My business card totally says "Altria" so I'm not with them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sergg posted:

It's not a "successor state", it's the exact same organization, unless you wanna argue that it becomes a wholly different one every time it makes a minor change to its name and you think that "Blackwater USA", "Xe Services", and "Academi" have nothing to do with each other. Phillip Morris and Altria? Totally different bro, promise. Phillip Morris was the bad one. My business card totally says "Altria" so I'm not with them.

Well the deal with Blackwater, Xe, and Academi was they all involved new corporations being founded that just happened to buy out all the usable parts of the old one while leaving the original company with any debts and bad assets.

Also at least one of the swaps gave the founder and CEO a chance to pop out with a hefty severance, to be paid by the rump company.

All around a good scam, really.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Shami Witness ‏@ShamiWitness 9m
Qatar sponsors US think tanks?Maybe NYT should report on how much pro-Israel,Israeli govt/entities fund much of think tanks in DC

Shami Witness ‏@ShamiWitness 3m
#PT Oh I don't know, all you gotta do is report what kind of influence Sheldon Adelson,Haim Saban,Koch brothers,AIPAC etc has

I hate it when our lovely government gives jihadists ammo. :argh:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

pengun101 posted:

Nothing that lurid. OBL and and Zarqawi had religious, strategic, and tactical differences.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ragingsheep posted:

The Prophet's favorite wife, Aisha, was married at the ripe old age of 6. Being a Humbert Humbert is just part of being a good Muslim and trying to live like the Prophet.

The only sex crime in Islam that a man may commit is getting it up the butt from another man. ISIS isn't going to disown anyone for marrying a little girl. Just go look at the marriageable age in Saudi Arabia.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

The Prophet's favorite wife, Aisha, was married at the ripe old age of 6. Being a Humbert Humbert is just part of being a good Muslim and trying to live like the Prophet.

The only sex crime in Islam that a man may commit is getting it up the butt from another man. ISIS isn't going to disown anyone for marrying a little girl. Just go look at the marriageable age in Saudi Arabia.

Straight up racism.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

TildeATH posted:

Straight up racism.

Today I learned all Muslims are of the same race, and all members of that race are Muslim.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Golbez posted:

Today I learned all Muslims are of the same race, and all members of that race are Muslim.

Congratulations, forums user Golbez, your keen understanding of the intricacies of the English language has allowed you to protect another innocent from terminological abuse. God forbid someone's offended remark possibly, torturously be taken to imply a position literally no one has--but no, you were here to save us.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

this is stupid much like myself

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 8, 2014

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

bitcoin bastard posted:

Fundie Muslims (also Christians) marry and have sex with what we would call girls. Is this some sort of revelation for you?

There's a difference between fringe Mormon sects doing adolescent marriage and the prophet Muhammad marrying a six-year-old.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

this is stupid much like myself

E2: i got loving trolled by a poster named "straw man"

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 8, 2014

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Ooh ooh we're hashing out the degenerate roots of Abramic religions with a focus on Islam? Oh nice someone already mentioned fundie Christians, quick someone do the Jews so this entire tangent gets maximally stupid as fast as possible!

for gently caress's sake please do not Go There

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Religion is bad. Convert everyone to atheism.

Caros
May 14, 2008

straw man posted:

There's a difference between fringe Mormon sects doing adolescent marriage and the prophet Muhammad marrying a six-year-old.

Edit: Just realized I was replying to Straw Man who is a loving idiot. Disregard.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Marrying a 6 years old? That's bad, unless of course you're a muslim, then you're just a romantic guy who's fond of his religious roots - almost like a modern day Wagner, ever so aspiring a perfect connection with his ancestry.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Interview with a kid from Aleppo. His house was hit with what I would guess was a barrel bomb. It's subtitled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xHu_sOduo8

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

TildeATH posted:

Straight up racism.

Point is that Islamic fundamentalists are not exactly known to be liberal feminists. Someone said this:

pengun101 posted:

And that's ridiculous. I can't imagine ISIS going "genocide is fine, torture and gruesome executions are fine, but we're gonna draw the line at marrying little girls".

And for what it's worth, minimum marriageable age for women in the Middle East:
Bahrain: 15 since 2007 (none before), but this faced strong opposition
Iran: 13
Iraq: 15 with judicial permission, otherwise 18, but there was this
Jordan: 15
Kuwait: 15
Lebanon: depends on confession. 15 for shi'a, or as low as 9 with judicial permission. Otherwise, 17.
Oman: none
Qatar: none
Saudi Arabia: none
Syria: 13 with judicial permission, otherwise 17
UAE: 18, age restriction can be waived with judicial permission
Yemen: none, see also this

Doesn't look like a 14-year-old spouse is going to be deemed "too far" by ISIS.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

The age of consent in Spain is 13. It's not exactly controversial that teenagers are having sex.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Mattress posted:

Point is that Islamic fundamentalists are not exactly known to be liberal feminists. Someone said this:

And that's ridiculous. I can't imagine ISIS going "genocide is fine, torture and gruesome executions are fine, but we're gonna draw the line at marrying little girls".

Well, it doesn't have to be left to the imagination. They took phones from girls that they abducted from Sinjar and elsewhere, but then decided it would be funner to give them the phones back and have them explain to their families exactly what was going on. There's girls as young as 12 being used as sex slaves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11080165/Yazidi-girl-tells-of-horrific-ordeal-as-Isil-sex-slave.html

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sergg posted:

It's not exactly controversial that teenagers are having sex.

There's a pretty big difference between two 14 year olds having sex with each other and a 14 year old having sex with a 30 year old, dude.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sergg posted:

The age of consent in Spain is 13. It's not exactly controversial that teenagers are having sex.

I was talking about marriageable age, which is different concept. Marriageable age in Spain is 16 with parental consent, 18 otherwise. (And it's also the same value for both girls and boys.)

Also European countries like Spain tend not to practice arranged marriage much anymore.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Opposition activists are holding a series of plays in Aleppo for the people who haven't fled. It sounds like it'll be pretty interesting.

quote:

“BreadWay” band presents its first play Dakakeen (Shops) in the liberated neighbors of Aleppo city. The theatre is built in one of the abandoned wedding halls at a front line with the regime’s troops. “Shops” will be presented for 3 days on the 8th, 9th and 10th of September in front of various audiences: civil activists, armed revolutionaries and the third performance is open for public. Shops’ actors are a group of activists from different backgrounds (doctors, fighters, citizen journalists, and relief workers). They are also from different Syrian provinces, Aleppo, Tartous, Latakia, Hama and Edlib, and the director, Salman, is a Syrian Palestinian. Salman, a fake name, says “This play is going the first – in 50 years- that could be performed freely without getting a permission from the regime’s censorship team”, and the play will give some hope for the people who are tired of war. “Shops” is about those who profit of the revolution to make personal benefits. It highlights 5 samples of this segment: a trader, a teacher, a soldier, a citizen journalist and a politician and it shows how they change their ideologies to cope with the donors’. Only demonstrators are the ones who present the revolution’s conscious.

Invitations will be distributed in Aleppo, but fearing the regime’s possible bombing to the theatre, the place will remain unknown, buses are arranged to pick up audience form 3 main roundabouts. The play has been funded from activists and personal donations, and most of the tools\facilities used to create the theatre and furnish it were borrowed or recycled, some are donated from the local merchants. Citizen journalists volunteer to film the play, to make interviews and take pictures. The media produced will be distributed to interested outlets. The goal of the media group is to echo the insiders’ cries to those Syrians living outside, and to the world that looks to our revolution as a civil sectarian war forgetting about what we have raised for. The play is the first one ever in the liberated parts. Regarding why to do a theatre in the most dangerous city in the world, Salman says “There are still civilians surviving here, despite death and war. They have the right to be introduced to arts, and we –activists- are responsible to fulfill this need. Most of people living here have never been in a theatre before”.

BreadWay bank is a group of activists who sense art and has a creative thinking, they want to present it to people and send their messages through arts including theatre. The bank is interested in all kinds of arts, poetry, stories, painting, songs, and they also organize debate sessions. It doesn’t adopt any ideology and its productions target all the ideologies. It aims to enrich the people sense for art and culture in the Syrian society, it’s a revolutionary national group, and its members believe that Syria is the base for the revolution to win. It is called BreadWay because theatre is the culture’s strength, as Jesus said “Man shall not live by bread alone” The name also echoes the Broadway’s st. the theatres st. in New York

https://www.facebook.com/pages/%D8%B7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%82-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AE%D8%A8%D8%B2-BREAD-WAY/845705295441057?fref=photo

An activist in Aleppo told me that they'd have this up on youtube, and if they do, I'll post it, but she's got plenty of other poo poo to deal with, so we'll see. I hope there's a lot of abandoned wedding halls in the old city.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Sergg posted:

Spain actually raised its age of consent to 16 last year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/04/spain-raises-age-of-consent

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

President Rouhani visiting Ayatollah Khameini following Khameini's prostate surgery. Iran is claiming it's nothing serious, and that the surgery was very successful. The real story seems to be how open Iran has been with these rather intimate details of the Supreme Leaders life. They were sharing this on twitter and everything. All the Iranian beat writers seem pretty surprised by it. That being said, the Head of the Assembly of Experts, the group that chooses the next Supreme Leader, is currently in a coma, so if Khameini's health deteriorates quickly, expect tomfoolery. Rafsanjani was ousted from that position after his support for the Green Movement during the election protests in 2009. He was barred from running for the Presidency by Khameini in this recent election, despite Ayatollah Khomeini's daughter expressing support for Rafsanjani in the words of Khomeini himself. He was the favorite to win elections for the head of the Assembly of Experts following the current heads health issues, before a hardliner cancelled the elections to prevent him from winning. Rafsanjani is Rouhani's mentor, and a direct rival to Ayatollah Khameini, so any talk around Rafsanjani being involved in the selection of the next Supreme Leader will cause the Basij to poo poo a brick.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Several journalists have alleged that a large amount of the Zarqawi narrative was fabricated by US psyops anyway. Nick Davies used it as a fairly compelling case study in his book (Flat Earth News) to illustrate the interplay of the media and intelligence. I couldn't find a link for it but here's another story that outlines similar points: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/09/AR2006040900890.html

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

TildeATH posted:

Straight up racism.

Only white men are not allowed to gently caress little girls. Brown men can because it's part of their culture.

Good to know.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

AllanGordon posted:

Only white men are not allowed to gently caress little girls. Brown men can because it's part of their culture.

Good to know.

Maybe everyone should just hash out the tired old rants about the prophet being a pedophile and Muslims trying to conquer the world and then leave the thread again? Take a punch at the greedy Jews while you're at it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I love it when people say "No I only hate Muslims, not a specific race" But then will assault members of a specific race for accidentally looking Muslim, but really guys it's not about race at all

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Gee, I wonder why a region that's alternated between being wartorn and being hosed with by foreign powers for the past century might lag behind other regions by about a century with regards to social mores. Also as an American who's had white-bread Christian neighbors force their under-18 children to get married because of pregnancies within the last decade, y'all are seriously overestimating how taboo this poo poo is in the West and for how long it has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Christian Fundamentalists exist only in the USA, however. In Europe there are really few and they're all generally society's outcast and the target of public ridicule.

• Locked thread