Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

JollyGreen posted:

0:01:50 ago: Jolly the Devastator (L21 DEFE of Vehumet) reached level 9 of a ziggurat. (Zig:9, turn 68382, dur 7:17:24, cszo)

Well, you're certainly going to max out your exp or your life when you get to your end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Can someone give me a good guide on getting an Ice Elementalist working? I've seen a lot of success stories on here but I have no idea how to keep mine alive.

Main issues are what and when to train things and when I should be using certain spells.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

Learnean Hydra is swamp exclusive and extremely rare on top of that. I'm pretty sure I've only seen it twice in all of my games.

I got him last game. He got rolled over because I was high AC and had zombies. I kind of expect he's a lot more threatening if you don't have both of those things. I think it was the first kill of him for our team this tournament though, so yeah, rare-ish.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Ewar Woowar posted:

Can someone give me a good guide on getting an Ice Elementalist working? I've seen a lot of success stories on here but I have no idea how to keep mine alive.

Main issues are what and when to train things and when I should be using certain spells.

I get throw frost, ozcubo:s armor and throw icicle from the starting book. summon ice beast is really good through lair but I don't feel you need it. Armor up and spam Freeze on stuff.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Floodkiller posted:

code:
crawl.git      7 Hours Ago
Fix Dith not actually increasing player stealth

This was broken by 560c0028.

Yred worshippers in umbras and players wearing the ring of shadows were
 also less stealthy due to this bug.
Sometimes, I wonder how things like this get by for so long without anyone noticing (the commit that broke it was April 29th).

:confused: hey did stealth get nerfed
:smug: clustering illusion

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
Is there an easy way to search for unique monsters that I have seen but haven't killed? I'm about to ascend and want to make sure I get as many as possible.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Kekekela posted:

:confused: hey did stealth get nerfed
:smug: clustering illusion

Yeah, a combination of Crawl's mechanics and the demographics of Crawl players means that naive skepticism (i.e using skeptical logic to dismiss an actually correct pattern) is probably making us miss quite a few bugs that exist right now.

Colour posted:

Is there an easy way to search for unique monsters that I have seen but haven't killed? I'm about to ascend and want to make sure I get as many as possible.

Just use control-O; any unique you left alive automatically left a floor annotation.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

code:
Revert "Increase the abyss rune chance on levels A:4 and A:5"

As pointed out in #8906, this commit actually decreased the rune chance
on all levels
Is another pretty good one. Was broken since july :buddy:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Mr. Despair posted:

code:
Revert "Increase the abyss rune chance on levels A:4 and A:5"

As pointed out in #8906, this commit actually decreased the rune chance
on all levels
Is another pretty good one. Was broken since july :buddy:

That makes me really mad.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Abyss:3 masterrace

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Darox posted:

Honestly the Hydra isn't that rare, he just only shows up in certain endings. Dissolution is definitely the rarest of the S-branch exclusive uniques.

It must be, as I have literally never seen Dissolution in the entirety of my Crawl career.

Ever. Not once.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
To be fair, he has the odds against him because Slime has no loot, so people don't usually clean it like most levels.

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008
http://pastebin.com/Ccuu2nRt

First tournament and 15-rune win. Also the first win for team Bad Crawl My Way! It's crazy how easy the game gets when you can reliably cast fire storm. This is the second game where I've never found a rMut amulet though, which is kind of lame since I cleared every branch, a treasure trove, a bazaar, and two zigs.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ewar Woowar posted:

There are several ways to play an ice elementalist. For all of them, you want ice magic to 6+ as your first priority to get freeze at max power. Freeze will solve most of your problems for a long time and will give you some leeway with how you spend xp. The fact that freeze is so powerful is one of the things that makes ice elementalist hybrids fairly easy to pull off. Everybody also wants ozo's armour right away since freeze is melee range and the AC boost helps a lot. After ice is at six, you can either try to hybridize and start training a weapon (I've only done this with merfolk, for whom it works well, other species might have a tougher time), you can go conjurations for throw icicle, getting throw frost first, of course, or you can rush for summon ice beasts. I never rush ice beasts because I don't like summons, but I imagine it works pretty well. Condensation shield does make a significant difference, but is probably last priority for everyone except a hybrid who is ignoring conjurations. Hybrids should absolutely pick up ice beasts as soon as their melee damage is fairly stable. Even if you don't like summons, think of it as having 3 spectral weapons at once that don't share damage with you and can attack on their own.

You can get away without learning throw icicle or summon ice beast on an ice elementalist fairly easily, depending on how you develop your character. But that doesn't mean you always should. Blasters might feel like they don't need ice beasts, but they'll add a lot of versatility and power to your character. Hybrids might not want throw icicle, but having a strong ranged attack is of great benefit to any character. If you're a dumb ghoul, you probably can't afford it, but if you're a high elf or an Ashenzari worshiper, you absolutely should learn it. It's quite strong even against cold resistant enemies. I killed an ice dragon that was hanging out near the entrance to lair 1 with throw icicle once, although because I had rC+++, repel missiles and slow, the thing was basically harmless.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Goodbye, my incredibly gross MiBe.

code:
13589412 Haifisch the Invulnerable (level 27, 265/265 (273) HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on Sept 5, 2014.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Sept 8, 2014!

The game lasted 11:21:01 (118394 turns).

Haifisch the Invulnerable (Minotaur Berserker)    Turns: 118394, Time: 11:21:01

HP 265/265 (273) AC 50     Str 25      XL: 27
MP  12/12        EV 35     Int  6      God: the Shining One [******]
Gold 16473       SH  0     Dex 27      Spells:  7 memorised, 18 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +9 executioner's axe (antimagic) {TRIPLE AXE}
rCold  + + .     Clarity  +     v - +12 gold dragon armour "Baep" {rPois rF+ rC+ Str+2 Dex+3}
rNeg   + + +     rCorr    .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rRot     .     V - +2 hat of the Alchemist {rElec rF+ rC+ MR+}
rElec  +         Spirit   .     W - +2 cloak {rPois}
SustAb .         Warding  .     A - +1 pair of gloves of the Cast Vote {MR+}
rMut   +         Stasis   .     k - +0 pair of boots of the Lute {Dex+4 SInv}
Gourm  .                        m - amulet "Saxoe" {rMut +Inv +Fly rF++ Stlth--}
MR     ++++.                    X - +8 ring of slaying
                                R - +8 ring of slaying
Other disgusting facts not mentioned: I found that amulet on Lair 2, before Baep I had a +9 rF+ CPA, and Zot 5 had an upstairs literally 4 tiles away from the lung opening. (It also had half the bottom section cut off from the lungs by a poorly placed wall. Oops!)

And this means I officially have a three-win streak going. :toot:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Angry Diplomat posted:

It must be, as I have literally never seen Dissolution in the entirety of my Crawl career.

Ever. Not once.
I hadn't either until this tournament. He didn't seem very hard! Just like a really big brown slime with summon eyeballs.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Ever. Not once.

I saw him for the first time yesterday on a NaMo, wasn't sure how afraid to be so I burned a silence scroll on it and then smacked it till it died.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I just watched magicpoints open his inventory on an OpSk to reveal a Macabre Finger Necklace and zero rings.

Meunkin
Sep 11, 2001

puppiespuppiespuppies
The tons of invisible stalker rune door vault with glass walls is amazing.

Look, free loot!!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The new description for the generic fruit item is pretty great. "A delicious edible flower ovary".

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
.16 looks sharp, guys. New tiles are rad.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I am not particularly happy about this. I thought they started showing up on D8.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

D6 Hill Giants rule. Whip out those poison/curare needles you've been holding on to, or a wand, or a ranged weapon and a haste potion, etc., and back in all of that glorious free xp you're gonna get. Or if you managed to never find any of those things just walk away and come back to D:6 later.

If you wanna get unhappy about OOD's save it for mother loving the gently caress killer bees on D:4 or similar. An OOD that is melee only and walks at regular speed is a precious gift that should be cherished.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
OODs in the Dungeon seem much more frequent in 0.15 than I remember it being in 0.15's trunk. I don't mind though, it's a nice spike of XP that gets you through that part of the game much more quickly.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's rare, but sometimes you get terrifyingly good loot in baileys instead of "nothing". Sometimes you get two artefact executioner axes next to each other.

I wonder why baileys give nothing most of the time, it's probably something to do with how deep they spawn. I've seen one that spawned deep that gave a ton of really valuable potions.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 8, 2014

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I think part of the idea of baileys is for the loot from enemies to be part of their appeal. Getting an early polearm bailey on a polearm user is a pretty big :hawaaaafap: moment, and throwing-heavy baileys can give you a ton of returning tomahawks and poo poo like that. Orc Knights and so forth can drop some pretty rad midgame heavy armour, too.

OOD hill giants and the like are the reason I almost always nab curare and a blowgun if I see them, even if I have 0 throwing skill. A few curare needles and some careful kiting can bring down a giant sack of HP and XP like that without too much trouble, and once that's done it's just a matter of [more]ing through all those satisfying green skillup/levelup notifications.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Ice Elementalist words

OgIE seems surprisingly robust so far. Huge HP growth and great M&F skill gains make it relatively easy to hybridize, especially with Ozo's to shore up your garbage defences.

e: That said, I'm enjoying OgVM a little more since that combo really really helps with the awful Ogre early game.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 8, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Venom mage is is completely inferior to wizard. The best spell it gives is meph cloud, which wizards get in addition to blink and conjure flame. Veno mages can't do anything to early monsters that have rPois, but wizards can deal with them easily via conjure flame.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Venom mage is is completely inferior to wizard. The best spell it gives is meph cloud, which wizards get in addition to blink and conjure flame. Veno mages can't do anything to early monsters that have rPois, but wizards can deal with them easily via conjure flame.

And repel missiles. Venom Mage has the bolt spell, that's the only advantage and it's not a good one.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The main reason I find VM a decent start for Ogres is that Sting kiting can utterly slaughter almost anything that's threatening to an early Ogre until you have some weaponskill and a decent M&F weapon, whereas Wizard chicanery, while very powerful, involves a shitload of dicking around until you get a variety of spells online and no longer have to blink about dropping imps and luring things into fire (and leaning exclusively on Magic Dart for your damage is a real gamble, particularly on an Ogre). With VM you can basically turn off all your casting skills and pretend to be a confused Gladiator with the miraculous ability to destroy any non-poison-resistant enemy for the first like 6 floors using diabolic radiation powers.

Wizard is definitely better but I kind of hate the playstyle for Ogres. I much prefer to just walk around pew pewing things and hitting them when they get close, and OgVM is surprisingly good at that. Sting is basically training wheels for Ogres.

e: Poison Magic in general feels like it needs a bit of an overhaul. Venom Bolt is bad, Olgreb's is gimmicky and usually kinda bad, and their damage is really swingy between "kill things automatically" and "really bad" with fairly little in between since enemy rPois has such a major influence on their effectiveness. Poison Arrow is good and all, but there's got to be some way to make Venom Mages better in the early game and Poison Magic in general better in the endgame.

Maybe VMs could get Summon Scorpions or something in their starter book, I don't know. As far as lategame poison effectiveness, I don't really have any idea how to make that happen. I'm almost tempted to suggest merging Poison Magic and Hexes together, but that would require quite a bit of tinkering.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 8, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

IronicDongz posted:

I hadn't either until this tournament. He didn't seem very hard! Just like a really big brown slime with summon eyeballs.

Summon Eyeballs can summon giant eyeballs, which paralyze without a chance to resist.

(Also, swarms of golden eyes, but hopefully you have some way to deal with that by the time you go to Slime.)

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

BigFactory posted:

And repel missiles. Venom Mage has the bolt spell, that's the only advantage and it's not a good one.

Sting is actually a powerful spell for the early game. It's damage is the same as magic dart plus it poisons the target, allowing you to kite stronger enemies. Still, venom mage has the huge weakness to poison immune enemies, and poison doesn't exactly scale well into the late game (but you can always take venom mage and then train conjurations instead of poison).

E: What Angry Diplomat said.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Also Toxic Radiance is pretty good!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think part of the idea of baileys is for the loot from enemies to be part of their appeal. Getting an early polearm bailey on a polearm user is a pretty big :hawaaaafap: moment, and throwing-heavy baileys can give you a ton of returning tomahawks and poo poo like that. Orc Knights and so forth can drop some pretty rad midgame heavy armour, too.
The absolute best is running into the bailey that's full of tons of gnolls with electric halberds as a beoghite, and making an elite orc squad outfitted entirely with electric polearms(that will eventually upgrade into glaives)

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

What is required, and what is nice for slime? I've never done more than 3 runes (two lair + vaults) but I would like to try for 5 (those 3, abyss and slime) at the least.

Me right now, I have rCorr amulet available.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
^^^^rCorr is all that's really required (and that's even survivable if you have enough damage output to kill TRJ quickly). Ideally, you want clarity and rMut to be perfectly resistant, but golden eyes aren't super common (confuse) and you can always use a cure mut potion if you run into a shining eye that gets a good whack in on you. TRJ's deadliest buddies are acid blobs which hit hard with corrosion.

All that said, don't waste time trying to clear Slime unless you have all of the above. Slime hits hard but you can usually dive to 6 very quickly.

scalded schlong posted:

I am not particularly happy about this. I thought they started showing up on D8.

Ha, yeah Hill Giants have been showing up on D:6 for me too, usually with two ogres and a goliath beetle in tow.

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 8, 2014

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Not My Leg posted:

Sting is actually a powerful spell for the early game. It's damage is the same as magic dart plus it poisons the target, allowing you to kite stronger enemies. Still, venom mage has the huge weakness to poison immune enemies, and poison doesn't exactly scale well into the late game (but you can always take venom mage and then train conjurations instead of poison).

VM relies a lot on finding a good book or Veh gifts to start killing resistant enemies pre-lair and in lair.

A different start for a conj focused caster, like FE.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Stoat posted:

What is required, and what is nice for slime? I've never done more than 3 runes (two lair + vaults) but I would like to try for 5 (those 3, abyss and slime) at the least.

Me right now, I have rCorr amulet available.

You should probably turn off weapon skill and train dodging, at least until you have a different weapon. 4 EV is really low and once you hit the magic breakpoint for plate, you should get a lot with 28 dex. AC will get degraded by corrosion while EV won't, so it's extra-important to have both in slime. rMut would be nice to have as a swap but you can live without it, just manage line of fire around shining eyes. rC+++ would be a boon but you should be fine with rC++, the last pip doesn't do that much.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Jeffrey posted:

You should probably turn off weapon skill and train dodging, at least until you have a different weapon. 4 EV is really low and once you hit the magic breakpoint for plate, you should get a lot with 28 dex. AC will get degraded by corrosion while EV won't, so it's extra-important to have both in slime. rMut would be nice to have as a swap but you can live without it, just manage line of fire around shining eyes. rC+++ would be a boon but you should be fine with rC++, the last pip doesn't do that much.

If you know, what's the formula (or chart, or just a general idea of where they are) for the 'magic breakpoints' when Dodging starts working worth a drat in various levels of armour?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Not My Leg posted:

No, sting's a really good level 1 spell but I'd still rather have magic dart based on range and versatility.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Prism posted:

If you know, what's the formula (or chart, or just a general idea of where they are) for the 'magic breakpoints' when Dodging starts working worth a drat in various levels of armour?

I haven't figured this out yet, but I've found when the magic happens is usually around 21 to 23 dodging skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pathetic little tramp posted:

I haven't figured this out yet, but I've found when the magic happens is usually around 21 to 23 dodging skill.

I think it's lower than that - in plate it was definitely good around 16 last time I played. The whole formula is...complicated, I don't have a concrete one, it depends on aevp which depends on armour skill and strength, along with what armour you are wearing. There is a program here which doesn't have the armour skill effect or shield/barding effects, but calculates it other than that.
http://bpaste.net/show/ae9ohtdTwEJDXUds6P2I

I realize this isn't exactly enlightening but:

learndb posted:

dodging
If your dex is over 24, set it to 14+10*log2(1+(dex-14)/10). Then your base EV is 10 + size_factor + (7 + dodging * new_dex) / (20 - size_factor). Then subtract your aevp and asp, then if the result is over 30, set it to 10+20*log2(1+(result-10)/20). Then apply randarts, rings, and merfolk/tengu bonuses. Go stepdowns!

aevp
Adjusted body armour evasion penalty. Affects spell success, melee accuracy. Its value is [(2/5) * er^2 / (str+3)] * [45 - armour_skill]/45.

Size factor is -2 for Og, Tr, Na, Ce; +2 for Ha, Ko; +4 for Sp; 0 for others

• Locked thread