Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Apple Watch won't hit the market until early 2015, but I've already decided I don't want one. It looks like an elegant, useful and fashionable device. I could see why some others might be counting the days until it hits the Apple Stores, but it's not for me.

Partially, this is because I'm not an early adopter. I subscribe to the "good enough" philosophy of tech. I waited almost two years to get the first iPhone, but after I noticed that I could get a similar experience on an Android phone for less money, I made the jump. Similarly, I see no need for a Mac Book Pro since the MacBook Air does pretty much everything I need it to do. I could spend extra for a slightly better experience, but I really don't see the point.

Coming from that vantage point, Apple would have to come up with something pretty amazing to convince me to plunk down $350. The watch they showed was pretty stunning, but here are five reasons why I won't be reaching into my wallet any time soon:

1. I've never had one, so why do I need it now?
I made it this far in life without a smartwatch and I did O.K. It's hard to see how my life will be improved by having a stripped-down smartphone on my wrist. I don't go around all day wondering what time it is and I find that the combination of carrying a smartphone all day and sitting in front of computer for at least eight hours at a stretch every day keeps me apprised of the news.

2. It could make my life worse.
Being able to regulate your calorie consumption and your movement and always be available for friends and your job may sound good to some, but it seems like a recipe for stress. In 2014, we need less technology in our lives, not more. A recent study found that white collar executives are chained to their email 13.5 hours a day. Why, oh, why do we need a more efficient way to get those emails delivered?

3. There are cheaper ways to track your workouts.
Training for a marathon or a 10K? Maybe you'd just like to lose a few pounds. Well, the good news is that people have been doing these things for years without the aid of Internet-connected smart devices. A $15 running watch, for instance, will let you know how fast you run, which is pretty much all you need if you're training for a race. Maybe you'd just like to move around more. In that case, I'd suggest this $17 pedometer. If you're still not convinced, ask yourself this: On a cold, snowy morning will your Apple Watch convince you to put in your miles or will that require something deeper, something that no amount of money can buy?

4. It will wreak havoc on what's left of my concentration.
Six years ago Nicholas Carr documented in The Atlantic how years of Internet use have given him a case of ADD:

Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I’d spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That’s rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle.

Consider that Carr wrote this before smartphones became mainstream. I would venture to say that since that article ran things have gotten considerably worse. Personally, I find it hard to carry on a sustained conversation before I get the urge to look at my phone. But that requires me to dig into my pocket. I can only imagine what a temptation a smart wristwatch would be in comparison.

5. On a practical level, I'm probably going to wind up breaking the drat thing.
The Apple Watch isn't out on the market so it's hard to say how sturdy it is. I'm sure that it's reasonably hardy, but then so are iPhones and I see a ton of models with cracked cases all over the place. I've broken one too and I acutely remember that feeling of dread — it's a sensation very close to losing a couple of hundred dollar bills. I predict that a month or two after the Apple Watch hits the market, we'll be hearing tales of woe from early adopters who cracked their screens after slipping on the ice or wiping out on their fixed-gear bikes.

Even if that doesn't happen, there's a good chance that something will break. Every watch I've ever owned has broken at some point, usually at the point where the watchband meets the watchface. Throw in the anxiety about charging the drat thing (Apple has been mum about battery life) and I've just added a whole bunch of unneeded stress to my life.

No thanks. I'll leave all that for you early-adopter types and your fancy new watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm not buying an apple watch because I don't want to suck Steve Jobs' cock since it's all dead and putrid

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I'm not because it's dumb op

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

because im poor and need to spend that money on basic necessities

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Why yes, let me wear this NSA tracking beacon on my wrist at all times.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

smoobles posted:

The Apple Watch won't hit the market until early 2015, but I've already decided I don't want one. It looks like an elegant, useful and fashionable device. I could see why some others might be counting the days until it hits the Apple Stores, but it's not for me.

Partially, this is because I'm not an early adopter. I subscribe to the "good enough" philosophy of tech. I waited almost two years to get the first iPhone, but after I noticed that I could get a similar experience on an Android phone for less money, I made the jump. Similarly, I see no need for a Mac Book Pro since the MacBook Air does pretty much everything I need it to do. I could spend extra for a slightly better experience, but I really don't see the point.

Coming from that vantage point, Apple would have to come up with something pretty amazing to convince me to plunk down $350. The watch they showed was pretty stunning, but here are five reasons why I won't be reaching into my wallet any time soon:

I made it this far in life without a smartwatch and I did O.K. It's hard to see how my life will be improved by having a stripped-down smartphone on my wrist. I don't go around all day wondering what time it is and I find that the combination of carrying a smartphone all day and sitting in front of computer for at least eight hours at a stretch every day keeps me apprised of the news.

Being able to regulate your calorie consumption and your movement and always be available for friends and your job may sound good to some, but it seems like a recipe for stress. In 2014, we need less technology in our lives, not more. A recent study found that white collar executives are chained to their email 13.5 hours a day. Why, oh, why do we need a more efficient way to get those emails delivered?

Training for a marathon or a 10K? Maybe you'd just like to lose a few pounds. Well, the good news is that people have been doing these things for years without the aid of Internet-connected smart devices. A $15 running watch, for instance, will let you know how fast you run, which is pretty much all you need if you're training for a race. Maybe you'd just like to move around more. In that case, I'd suggest this $17 pedometer. If you're still not convinced, ask yourself this: On a cold, snowy morning will your Apple Watch convince you to put in your miles or will that require something deeper, something that no amount of money can buy?

Six years ago Nicholas Carr documented in The Atlantic how years of Internet use have given him a case of ADD:

Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I’d spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That’s rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle.

Consider that Carr wrote this before smartphones became mainstream. I would venture to say that since that article ran things have gotten considerably worse. Personally, I find it hard to carry on a sustained conversation before I get the urge to look at my phone. But that requires me to dig into my pocket. I can only imagine what a temptation a smart wristwatch would be in comparison.

The Apple Watch isn't out on the market so it's hard to say how sturdy it is. I'm sure that it's reasonably hardy, but then so are iPhones and I see a ton of models with cracked cases all over the place. I've broken one too and I acutely remember that feeling of dread — it's a sensation very close to losing a couple of hundred dollar bills. I predict that a month or two after the Apple Watch hits the market, we'll be hearing tales of woe from early adopters who cracked their screens after slipping on the ice or wiping out on their fixed-gear bikes.

Even if that doesn't happen, there's a good chance that something will break. Every watch I've ever owned has broken at some point, usually at the point where the watchband meets the watchface. Throw in the anxiety about charging the drat thing (Apple has been mum about battery life) and I've just added a whole bunch of unneeded stress to my life.

No thanks. I'll leave all that for you early-adopter types and your fancy new watches.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ok now someone do this with "im gay"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
nobody wants smartwatches

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not buying an Apple watch because apple is poo poo and your a human being op

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no thanks, i prefer my HUD

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Prettz posted:

Why yes, let me wear this NSA tracking beacon on my wrist at all times.

don't worry, it can't track you, it's just bluetoothed to your phone, that's what's tracking you

but yeah i probably will get one of these, i don't even like watches but they are doing some really amazing things

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

chaosbreather posted:

but yeah i probably will get one of these, i don't even like watches but they are doing some really amazing things
amazingly gay things

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Apple watch gonna get *this* poster laid.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
im gonna put dat watch ariuound my weiner op and guess what theres not a thinge u can do to stop me

Dec 26, 2012

smoobles posted:

well, ok,

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting

Bip Roberts posted:

Apple watch gonna get *this* poster laid.

im gonna up my pussy game by secretly reading pua tips on my watch. girls thinkin im checkin the time but actully im checking the tipes

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
newtons still workin fine dont see why i need this

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Prettz posted:

amazingly gay things

yeah gays like fitness poo poo for sure

also gold? i am unclear on this point but i bet they like gold

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Her hair is awful and she probably smells bad.

Apple things are dumb.

K, thx.

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
what time is it? *check apple watch* time for me to neg u

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Why I won't be buying an Apple Watch either:

It's gay. I'm gay. Too much gay.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I give you a much better reason:

There are similar multifunctional watches working on Android on the market already.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

nobody wants smartwatches

i met a guy who actually does lol

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
The I-Watch.

As in I-Watch u pee. :dance:

Only 699.95 at K-mart.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
tl

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Oh poo poo dood.

They make m'f'in lamb burgers.

Shits fly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
dr

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm not because it's dumb op

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone have the jail break for this yet? Trying to install xbmc and SNES emulators on my watch. Thanks

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Anyone have the jail break for this yet? Trying to install xbmc and SNES emulators on my watch. Thanks

Shut it queermo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

also because it's ugly and dumb

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
Smoobles ftw. Welcome to the forums bro. Some of the guys around here might like to joke around and post about being gay but seriously, we enjyo high quality threads like these.,

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
The battery life will be lovely.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Three-Phase posted:

The device will be lovely.

I-Watch!

:dance:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
How does someone wearing it on their right wrist work the little jog dial?

Apple is anti-left-hander.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

smoobles posted:

hi smoobles. Good post.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

My fave Radiohead video

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
apple watch is ugly as gently caress and the nerdiest thing that only loser nerds will buy. also lol at their gold and silver case options loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I-watch jobs start a war..

• Locked thread