Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Beeme posted:

code:
A: antennae 1, thin skeletal structure 1, nightstalker 1
With all this talk of Demonspawns I ended up making a DsMo, hoping for claws and/or monstrous, but I'm at XL4 and my mutations look like this. Should I ditch my fists and take a stabby weapon?

Honestly, you could do whatever you want with that build. Antenna and night stalker are both good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

As good as claws are, you only have a 28% chance of getting them (10% monstrous, 20% of other games) so you should probably not bank on getting them. UC isn't impossible without claws, however, it is very slow starting.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Beeme posted:

code:
A: antennae 1, thin skeletal structure 1, nightstalker 1
With all this talk of Demonspawns I ended up making a DsMo, hoping for claws and/or monstrous, but I'm at XL4 and my mutations look like this. Should I ditch my fists and take a stabby weapon?

You're not getting claws. Thin skeletal structure is a scales mutation so you're not monsterous, and antennae is your body-slot mutation. I'd keep punching dudes anyways though, UC is a very good way of killing dudes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

code:
 You fall through a shaft for 2 floors!!!
 The shaft crumbles and collapses!
 A kobold, an orc, Dowan and a player ghost come into view!
 Dowan shouts!!! The kobold shouts!!! The orc shouts!!!
_Sharkman1231's ghost turns its malevolent gaze towards you!
thanks game

e. I would have taken them out too if Duvessa hadn't shown up too!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
code:
_Ye haf reached level 4!
 Yer demonic ancestry asserts itself...
 Yer hands twist inta claws.
DsMo. I'm going to die horribly but I'm not sure how yet. :suspense: (I have 8 curing potions, so no adder deaths :v:)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

As hilarious as it may be, accidentally throwing wands wouldn't be so annoying if I didn't somehow do it constantly.

autoinscribe += wand:!f

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ugly John posted:

2. Sometimes Crawl really does want you to win:

code:
 O - the +6 large shield "Siesk" (worn) {rElec rPois rF+ Slay+5}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Depths)   

One of the best shields I've ever seen, really. The other two came fairly early as well.

If I found that shield I would feel entirely justified in getting the Shields title.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr. Despair posted:

code:
 You fall through a shaft for 2 floors!!!
 The shaft crumbles and collapses!
 A kobold, an orc, Dowan and a player ghost come into view!
 Dowan shouts!!! The kobold shouts!!! The orc shouts!!!
_Sharkman1231's ghost turns its malevolent gaze towards you!
thanks game

e. I would have taken them out too if Duvessa hadn't shown up too!

yes, what were the odds of getting both dowan and duvessa

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
loving hell, lost my almost unstoppable GrEE to a loving pan lord with Glaciate abd a 2% miscast on the lethal firestorm.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Logicninja parachute account are you? :v:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

PleasingFungus posted:

yes, what were the odds of getting both dowan and duvessa

They weren't 100%!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Captainsalami posted:

Logicninja parachute account are you? :v:

Guys I am pretty sure that I am not the only person ever to splat in extended.
E: I am the king of dying on D:1-2 though.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 10, 2014

Prancing Shoes
Jul 8, 2008

Ugly John posted:

2nd win for a team founded on playing Crawl badly, and 2nd win ever for me! (first since around 0.8)

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/uglyjohn/morgue-uglyjohn-20140909-223948.txt

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.15.0-25-gd84c1e8 (webtiles) character file.

3258361 uglyjohn the Champion of Chaos (level 27, 28/281 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Fighter on Sept 7, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Makhleb.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 5 runes on Sept 9, 2014!

The game lasted 06:22:47 (66992 turns).

Congrats on the win! My win was also my second ever as well. Our team is now almost at a 1% win rate! And this:

Ugly John posted:

i - the +14 crystal plate armour of Indecent Exposure (worn) {rN+ MR+}
is awesome. Amazing shield too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get how I can 15 rune with Xom twice but now I can't even pull off a single drat win. Die in mid game, die in late game, die extended, die in mid game, die a billion times on D:1-D:2 inbetween it all.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get how I can 15 rune with Xom twice but now I can't even pull off a single drat win. Die in mid game, die in late game, die extended, die in mid game, die a billion times on D:1-D:2 inbetween it all.

Brother

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Well, after some chicanery involving an early amulet of Faith and corrupting Temple, my OgAK has a distortion GSC before clearing half of Lair and I've abyssed every last unique I've met so far. Here's hoping I can win this comical rear end in a top hat of a character.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 10, 2014

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Angry Diplomat posted:

Well, after some chicanery involving an early amulet of Faith and corrupting Temple, my OgAK has a distortion GSC before clearing half of Lair and I've abysses every last unique I've met so far. Here's hoping I can win this comical rear end in a top hat of a character.

Confidently predicting you get abyssed on your ascention run and face off against 9 uniques at once and win before escaping the abyss and succumbing to poison a turn later

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kaschei posted:

Ds are the second strongest class for spamming Makhleb or Qazlal invocations. Only DD match them for invocations. I think anyone having trouble between temple and lair:8 could do a lot worse than go heavy into invocations as a Ds of Makhleb - I think this is stronger than most melee builds (not Gr or DD).

Quit reminding me of how much not being able to start with Makhleb sucks.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mummies: Surprisingly not terrible, despite the bad rep. The pre-lair game is a little harder since you're missing all those potion panic buttons but once you're clear of that you're basically just a human with permanent lichform. I'm sure it will be a little worrying trying to do extended without DDoor but right now in the midgame everything is gravy.

The most relaxed Tomb I've ever cleared.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Kekekela posted:

DD of Ely (with amulet of faith, preferably)

DDHe is probably no-poo poo the strongest combo in the game. You're just completely unstoppable from the word go, and you can even pacify enemies with your wand of healing if you get into a tight spot. You'll definitely notice the hunger and piety costs of Ely's abilities, but it's unlikely this will actually affect you, it'll just make you sad.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

nrook posted:

DDHe is probably no-poo poo the strongest combo in the game. You're just completely unstoppable from the word go, and you can even pacify enemies with your wand of healing if you get into a tight spot. You'll definitely notice the hunger and piety costs of Ely's abilities, but it's unlikely this will actually affect you, it'll just make you sad.

My first (offline) win was with DDHe, so I can vouch for this.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DDNe/Makhleb was ridiculously strong when DD were new. You got meatshields, both active and passive healing, and Makhleb's destruction powers all in one indestructible package that got Borgnjor's castable in GDA on a 3 rune run (then never bothered to cast it because they never actually needed it).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

LogicNinja posted:

You have the most gkills of anyone ever by a 50% margin over runner-up

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kaschei posted:

You have the most gkills of anyone ever by a 50% margin over runner-up

Someone should add that to ??deep elf reasons

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Why yes I'm a gargoyle I should be ok in Tomb so let's just speed up Tomb:3 with a scroll of immola-

code:
You feel extremely nervous for a moment...
You convulse helplessly as pain tears through your body!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The fiery explosion engulfs the guardian mummy.
The guardian mummy explodes!
The fiery explosion engulfs the wraith.
The wraith is moderately damaged.
The fiery explosion engulfs the sixfirhy.
You kill the sixfirhy!
You sense a malignant aura. The fiery explosion engulfs the wraith.
You destroy the wraith!
You die...
:sotw:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

LogicNinja posted:

You've left enough memorable killer ghosts for at least a dozen B-movies and maybe a rap career. I've yet to die to one (somehow) but I will definitely remember the time your Slime:6 ghost self-destructed with firestorm, right after helping me kill The Royal Jelly.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

apple posted:

Why yes I'm a gargoyle I should be ok in Tomb so let's just speed up Tomb:3 with a scroll of immola-

code:
The fiery explosion engulfs the wraith.
The wraith is moderately damaged.
The fiery explosion engulfs the sixfirhy.
You kill the sixfirhy!
You sense a malignant aura. The fiery explosion engulfs the wraith.
You destroy the wraith!
You die...
:sotw:

Immolation is a good idea for Tomb... provided you are doing it as a follower of Makhleb or Kiku or if you are undead.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh man I did that as DEEE and Shatter. Somehow managed to survive the swarm of guardian mummy death curses...

code:
99018 | Tomb:3   | HP: 1/157 [indirect mummy death curse (14)]
99031 | Tomb:2   | Well that was a really *really* dumb thing to do

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I know you can get your number-of-times-casting-a-spell out of your morgue file, but can you get your number of miscasts anywhere? I swear my guy hits a 12% failure rate half the time on casting regeneration, and want to prove to myself that he doesn't.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I found a Gold Dragon Hide on D4 as a VSAs. I died shortly after. :(

In other news, I've started playing Vampire Monks for fun. I am naming each of them Dio Brando and mentally yelling WRYYYYYYY whenever I drink.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scalded schlong posted:

I know you can get your number-of-times-casting-a-spell out of your morgue file, but can you get your number of miscasts anywhere? I swear my guy hits a 12% failure rate half the time on casting regeneration, and want to prove to myself that he doesn't.

You'd think with a 1% miscast chance you would basically never hit it, but I swear for blink that 1% happens all the loving time.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Torpor snails should be renamed Waste All Your Blink Scrolls Because of This Dumb Enemy Snails.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I found a Gold Dragon Hide on D4 as a VSAs. I died shortly after. :(

Well, supposedly the gold hide is still intensely heavy so i don't think it's a big loss..

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

quote:

Times for some improvements, mortal!
*You feel robust (x2)
*Your body is partially covered in molten scales*
*Your throat feels hot*
Xom seems mollified

drat, I need to abandon Xom more often.
Of course, Jivya proceeded to take most of these away, but being a +30% HP minotaur was fun while it lasted.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

BigFactory posted:

Torpor snails should be renamed Waste All Your Blink Scrolls Because of This Dumb Enemy Snails.

You have no idea how happy this post makes me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

You have no idea how happy this post makes me.

They're so annoying. Torpor Snail + a single death yak is like a death sentence for even the burliest Lair-capable character. Or burn all your incredibly precious pre-lair consumables.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Haste is probably better than blink against them, do torpor snails move slowly like other snails did?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Haste is probably better than blink against them, do torpor snails move slowly like other snails did?

If you have haste castable by L:2 you're doing something I'm not.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BigFactory posted:

If you have haste castable by L:2 you're doing something I'm not.

I meant a potion. In terms of escaping while slowed, one haste potion can likely do what it would take many blink scrolls to do, depending on where the stairs are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

I meant a potion. In terms of escaping while slowed, one haste potion can likely do what it would take many blink scrolls to do, depending on where the stairs are.

I didn't have one. And the snail itself isn't so tough, it's the other non-slow monsters around.

• Locked thread