Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wielder posted:

I'm not suggesting watching it before everything else, (although there will probably be a number of folks who could speak about having that specific experience), simply after the four movies. But I also don't think you need to watch over 100 episodes first, much less understand where every obscure mobile suit or throwaway cameo comes from, in order to enjoy it.

Yeah honestly you don't need to know anything outside of the stuff you mentioned, they do a decent enough job explaining everything, and even then there's stuff that has a history behind it that doesn't need to be explained (Marida's backstory stands fine on its own even without knowing how it ties in with ZZ Gundam). Heck, I know people who have never seen anything Gundam and still wound up enjoying it thanks to the excellent direction and top notch production values.

Also I think at this point pretty much every mecha thing available in English has been suggested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nobody brought up Daitarn-3, which is basically James Bond: Giant Robot Pilot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TARDISman posted:

So I'm going to watch Zeorymer tonight after I finish up my classwork. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the English dub makes things crazier or is it kinda painful?

I haven't heard the dub but I can't imagine they do justice to Masaki's laughter.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Dubs only ever make shows like zeorymer better.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ahahahahaha holy poo poo Taiha is totally Dan Green in his Yami voice. Everyone's at that perfect zone of over the top that it's magical.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schwarzwald posted:

I haven't heard the dub but I can't imagine they do justice to Masaki's laughter.

It's awful. Masato/Masaki is played by some random unknown 2-bit schlub who pretty much exemplifies the worst of bad dubs but without any of the ham or likeability. He's not even good at switching between troubled soft-spoken teenager and quasi-immortal psychopath grizzled smug abusive accidental father mad scientist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Broken Loose posted:

It's awful. Masato/Masaki is played by some random unknown 2-bit schlub who pretty much exemplifies the worst of bad dubs but without any of the ham or likeability. He's not even good at switching between troubled soft-spoken teenager and quasi-immortal psychopath grizzled smug abusive accidental father mad scientist.

He is not a father.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

hes also a rapist

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schwarzwald posted:

He is not a father.

Well, now, technically he is in the cloney sense and all. He's even referred to as such by Ritsu, who might be a little unbalanced but certainly has a valid point or something.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
You don't think maybe he was referencing Masaki's quote after that battle? :v:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

TheManSeries posted:

MD Geist is probably the dumbest thing out there, but man it's good.

...did you have a goddamn stroke while you were writing this post? :stare:

Like, don't get me wrong, MD Geist is fun, but it's the anime equivalent of Deadly Prey or Samurai Cop. It's an absolute shitpile that somehow ended up being really fun to watch.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That sounds like literally exactly what you quoted

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
MD Geist would be more appropriately called 'fun' than 'good.'

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I know what I said. I absolutely love MD Geist. It was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen right up until I watched Inferno Cop a week or two ago. It's in the exact same category as Zeorymer, it's a show where I turn my brain way off, kick back and just enjoy the sheer stupidity on screen. See also: MD Geist 2, Mazinkaiser SKL, Stardust Memories, Kotetsushin Jeeg and Sun Vulcan.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

M.D. Geist has an unironically good soundtrack. :colbert:

Also, crosspost from the Funny Panels thread in BSS:

ImpAtom posted:

So there's a Japanese robot show called Da Garn which is somewhat inspired by American comics. In the eyecatches they include comic book styled drawings of the characters, including English dialogue. However they didn't actually write dialogue for it but just used filler dialogue. This leads to pretty hilarious results:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

That sounds like literally exactly what you quoted

It sounded like his appreciation was more unironic than it turned out to be.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So, i'm about 11 episodes into Shin Mazinger and the robots are cool and all, but I think i'd rather see a show about the Kurogane 5. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Also, the fact that Dr Hell is not literally a scientist from hell and is instead just a human biologist with the last name of Hell kind of threw me for a loop. I think it took an entire episode for it to sink in that he wasn't just pretending to be a biologist as a disguise. Seriously, the dude is giant, blue, apparently resides in some kind of hellish void, and he controls 5 armies headed by mythical beings. And he's somehow not a demon. :psyduck:

Edit: The best part of this show so far was Ashura riding in the Pilder. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 4, 2014

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, the fact that Dr Hell is not literally a scientist from hell and is instead just a human biologist with the last name of Hell kind of threw me for a loop. I think it took an entire episode for it to sink in that he wasn't just pretending to be a biologist as a disguise. Seriously, the dude is giant, blue, apparently resides in some kind of hellish void, and he controls 5 armies headed by mythical beings. And he's somehow not a demon. :psyduck:
He used to look normal before he got his hands on the poo poo he's using.

Well, you know, more or less normal this is an anime.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Zereth posted:

He used to look normal before he got his hands on the poo poo he's using.

Well, you know, more or less normal this is an anime.

What do you mean? Guy just happens to be purple. It's like Doug or something.

Maybe he really likes tuna and got mercury poisoning. Don't judge Timothy Hell, PhD.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he was in a costumed metal band before becoming a scientist and just kept the look.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
And the name!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe his entire campaign against the world is just him being truly dedicated to the character from his college metal band.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So, Tsubasa's the best character in Shin Mazinger right? Because I am really enjoying how she has pretty much betrayed and murdered every character involved in the show's backstory. And is spending the rest of her time just being a huge dick. :allears:

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Nah, the best character is obviously Baron Ashura. The show should have been called Shin Baron Ashura instead.

In all seriousness, just about any of the supporting characters are probably a lot cooler than ol Kouji.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

John Carstairs posted:

And the name!

There actually was a real Dr. Hell. No news on if he ever discovered ancient ruins on Bardos Island or not.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

There actually was a real Dr. Hell. No news on if he ever discovered ancient ruins on Bardos Island or not.

I will always love that the teletype he invented was called the "Hellschreiber", a name for journalism equipment right up there with "mojo wire".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Davzz posted:

Nah, the best character is obviously Baron Ashura. The show should have been called Shin Baron Ashura instead.

In all seriousness, just about any of the supporting characters are probably a lot cooler than ol Kouji.

Eh, Kouji's fine. He's a pretty good Hot-Blooded anime protagonist, but yeah. He's lucky he's got a really great supporting cast to help him carry the show.

Also, nobody in this show stays dead do they? Even Juuzo's come back to life, albeit as a computer program. Not that i'm complaining since the Kurogane 5 are awesome, but i'm now half expecting Tetsuya to show up in the final episode to save the day, or for Stroheim to have again returned from hell and rebuilt Lorelai.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
:allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, um, that was an ending I suppose. A sequel hasn't been announced has it? Because it would really suck if that was the end.

And i'm guessing that 'Blade' was supposed to be Tetsuya. He didn't save the day, but he showed up in the final episode. So i'm counting that as a successful prediction on my part. Also Baron Ashura actually managed to succeed in something! Sure, it was killing himself, but he won all the same. :unsmith:

Also, i've heard that Shin Mazinger is pretty different from the original series. Could someone run me through the differences, just out of curiosity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Well, um, that was an ending I suppose. A sequel hasn't been announced has it? Because it would really suck if that was the end.

And i'm guessing that 'Blade' was supposed to be Tetsuya. He didn't save the day, but he showed up in the final episode. So i'm counting that as a successful prediction on my part. Also Baron Ashura actually managed to succeed in something! Sure, it was killing himself, but he won all the same. :unsmith:

Also, i've heard that Shin Mazinger is pretty different from the original series. Could someone run me through the differences, just out of curiosity.

Shin Mazinger is more or less an amalgam of various Go Nagai manga that then starts including weird poo poo like a Ken Ishikawa Mazinger Z oneshot before going completely off the rails.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And no there's not going to be a sequel ever. :shepicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Great-Hen will only exist in our hearts and minds.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I always thought Tetsuya and Ankoku Daishogun were more interesting than Kouji and Ashura, and they even fit more his own brand of ridiculous action than the latter. I can only begin to imagine the wonders that Imagawa would do with them.

:smith:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

We all know that Shin Great would have become a sword that was wielded by Shin Mazinger's Big Bang Punch. Shin Grandizer would have formed the other half of that sword that would become a giant harken wielded by Shin Mazinkaiser. Then we would all ascend to a higher form of existence because mankind had accomplished what it was placed on the Earth to do.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 7, 2014

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ethiser posted:

Then we would all ascend to a higher form of existence because mankind had accomplished what it was placed on the Earth to do.

So after all that it'd cross over with Getter Robo, too?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

So after all that it'd cross over with Getter Robo, too?

How did you think Getter Emperor came about?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Ethiser posted:

How did you think Getter Emperor came about?

Shin Getter using Shin Z and Shin Kaiser as arms wielding Shin Great and Shin Grendizer.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

His name is Tsurugi Tetsuya. Tsurugi means sword/blade/etc

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
In the Philippines, Daimos got a homegrown English dub, and I watched the entire show on primetime weekdays as a kid back in the early 90s. One of my friends managed to upload the first episode online: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1FCKINLhgOaVHNDUUNrclpoMjQ/edit?usp=sharing

It's actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

And no there's not going to be a sequel ever. :shepicide:

That... that sucks. :negative:

Shin Mazinger was a really drat good show and it was definitely good enough for me to continue watching some more robot anime. Probably GaoGaiGar or G Gundam since i've heard of them before and they got a lot of recommendations. I'm kinda of hoping there's more focus on the robot's though, because I maintain that the best parts of Shin Mazinger were not the robots but the characters like Tsubasa, Ashura and the Kurogane 5.

The Big Bang Punch was pretty sweet though. :allears:

• Locked thread