Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Fighters Guild

"Well, I guess they are a bit nicer than whatever you were using before. Silver-plated stuff tends to be made with better care than most of the junk here, considering it usually comes from Cyrodiil. Can you believe that all the guards in the Imperial City carry around weapons like this? Decadent, isn't it?"

He rolls his eyes and begins measuring the cuirass he was previously working on to see if it was stretched to the right size. After a second, Wayn smirks and says, "Oh, and I guess if you ever come across a werewolf, you'll ruin his day pretty quickly with those."

Silver weapons have the standard +1 to hit and damage that magic weapons do and can strike ghosts and Daedra. Also, any werecreature will be extra vulnerable to your attacks with a silver weapon (crit range is increased by 4).

Mages Guild

Galbedir whispers back to the Argonian, "You didn't hear this from me, but I've managed to come across this sort of thing in my studies. A black soul gem is the only thing capable of holding the souls of elves, men, Argonians, and Khajiit. They're hard to come by; the Empire banned them as soon as they started to show up a few years ago. And personally, I can't say I blame them. Sharn might know more, but you're going to have to earn her trust somehow. Everyone knows she's a dabbler in necromancy, even if she tries to hide it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Where can I find Sharn then? And you have no information on a soul's nature? Its consciousness?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Digs-A-Hole

The elf frowns and says, "Sharn's downstairs, but I'm afraid I don't know the details of where the soul goes when it is used up, or if the being trapped inside is even conscious. Not even the wisest of our guild's members has figured out the true nature of the soul. All I know is that the soul's energy can be used up as a substitute for a mage's willpower and emotions to power an enchantment, and that Black Soul Gems started appearing only after the Warp in the West and the arrival of the Necromancer's Moon."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"I see. Well, thank you for your time."

Digs walks past Tombak, back to him and fingers still in ears. Digs shrugs and heads downstairs. "Now where's Sharn?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

MelvinBison posted:

Digs-A-Hole

"I see. Well, thank you for your time."

Digs walks past Tombak, back to him and fingers still in ears. Digs shrugs and heads downstairs. "Now where's Sharn?"

You search the downstairs to find Sharn, but cannot find her. Eventually, the High Elf in the room takes notice of you and says, "Oh dear, are you looking for Sharn? I'm afraid she's out on guild duty. Something about collecting someone's dues in Suran. Check back within a few days."

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

After a time, Tombak notices that the room has gone silent (he has very good ears, after all), and ceases his distraction. Tipping his non-existent hat to Galbedir, he heads down the stairs to gather Digs and head to the Fighters Guild. "Come along, small friend. The time for glory is upon us, and glory never waits!"

He winks. "Not even glorious death!"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You all assemble outside of the guilds after concluding your business. The rain has finally died down and the clouds have cleared, revealing the night sky and the moons above. Judging from what K'zan said, it'll take only two hours for you to get to the Hlaalu tombs. The burial ground is about halfway to Caldera on the mountain range bordering the east.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

"Lovely day for a walk," comments the orc, setting out and assuming the others will follow along. It was their plan, after all. "Hey, who wants to sing a walking song?" Without waiting for an answer, he launches into a terrible marching song in his raspy, just-barely-melodious voice. "Weeeeeellllll... you put a-ONE foot a-HEAD of t'OTHERRRR, and that is how you go TO t'other PLAAAAACE..."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Crassius Callei

"Sounds like a plan, my friend! The less time you spend bored, the faster you get where you wanted to go!"

Crassius clears his throat in time to add on to this song after Tombak does the first verse. Improv is totally his time to shine, musically. At the same time, he's also untrained in the art so this could be just as painful as the last guy.

"You gotta TAKE the risky high ROAAAAAADS, if ya WANT the fastest ROUTE to your PLAAAAACE!"

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan is happy to get on the road again. He was already getting antsy about how long they had stayed in Balmora. Who know when the cliff racers would have started showing up. He's happy, that is, until some of his companions start singing some kind of awful Imperial marching song. "Ugh, ancestors, save me from these fools," he mutters.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"I know your pain, friend. I don't know the words either. So I suggest you shush before they ask us to join their round."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia tries her best to ignore the awful singing and falls in line with the non-singing member of the group. "If there's one thing I miss from Skyrim, it's the songs. None of this milquetoast Imperial stuff. Songs about ancient heroes! And I suppose heroes to come as well."

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak continues to trade awful verses of the song back and forth with Crassius as they walk, but stops "singing" as the group approaches their destination. "Wouldn't want to wake the vengeful dead too soon, eh?" he calls back. "So, how do we want to do this?"

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

"Stomp in there, kick their asses, get what we came for, then leave? It's not exactly dewmer science here."

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

"Well, we could try that," Tombak allows. "It might be prudent to at least try to walk quietly, though. I mean, there could be a lot of angry ghosts."

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

K'zan Redpaw

"Personally, this one agrees with our orc-friend, and advises stealth. Lots of angry ghosts indeed, especially in a crypt for a Great House." he murmured.

The khajiit had been rather quiet for most the walk, fiddling with his little jars and salts; the occasional swear had been his major contribution, as he (unsafely, in the khajiit fashion) mixed his concoctions on the road, for freshness.

An Object Lesson in Proper Potion Handling: 1d20+7 11

Sorry I haven't been posting much, in between helping with the family restaurant / working / assisting sister in her move back home / finding a new car / building doggy stairs my time has been DEVOURED. Also, uh, I guess Int+Apothecary roll to turn the fire and frost salts and oils into little tossable alchemical weapons, basically a Morrowind equivalent of Alchemist's Fire and/or Frost.

Edit: MelvinBison, K'zan bought elemental salts of his own earlier, yours are quite safe. :)

Punting fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 16, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

Digs takes a step back as K'zan approaches to take the fire salts.

"Terribly sorry. These are important to me. If I knew exactly how many Edwinna wanted it might be a different story, but I don't, so bear with it."

"Now that I think about, have they buried that... 'Cliff Rider' guy already? I'd hate to think we'd have to face his ghost too. I mean, as much as I'd love to chew the guy out for indirectly getting me this predicament, I'm sure he's got enough problems, what with causing the end of the world and everything."

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 16, 2014

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
K'zan

You mix the concoction as you walk, trying to fix up your alchemical flasks. By dousing the salts in a liberal amount of solvent oil, you create a dull purple-black goo. You manage to fill four small jars with this potent concoction. Or at least, it would've been potent; seems you made a mistake. The purple gunk you have just made doesn't seem to react upon contact with the air like you thought it would. It'll need an outside source of fire or frost to activate it after you coat something with it. Good thing you've just made friends with a sorcerer, right?

If you strike someone with these jars, treated as a small ranged weapon, you'll do light weapon damage (1d4) on the initial blow. If you or another person successfully strikes the person again with fire or cold damage, the foe will take an extra 6 damage as the sludge ignites with frostfire.

Everyone

After a while, you finally come across the entrance to the Hlaalu Burial Tomb, tucked away in the foothills leading to Caldera. The sloping mud-brick entrance is bordered by vibrant bushes of Gold Kanet, and a small sigil of a weighing scale adorns the top of the wooden door leading to the catacombs.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 17, 2014

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

"It's possible, Digs-A-Hole. The Great Houses usually guard their tombs with the spirits of those who disappointed or shamed the family. The Old Cliffracer--" Zairain spits as he says the word "--had quite a reputation for debauchery. I can't say whether or not the Hlaalu would look past it."

Zairan walks up to the entrance to the tomb, places his hand on the arch, and closes his eyes, focusing on the spirits he senses within.

Spirit Speaker + Wisdom: 1d20+5+4 12
I'm trying to like, get a sense of how well the place is guarded or some particular things to watch out for, or something. Also I have a 5 on my icon dice with the Ashlanders that hasn't been used yet, maybe I can remember some old Ashlander wisdom about dealing with Great House spirits or something? I'm not sure what would be an appropriate complication, though.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You press your hand to the door, and cannot feel anything. Whatever lies beyond the door is a mystery to you for now. Frustrated, you try and recall something that could help you out in this situation. Finally, you remember something from your past. Years ago, when you were but a youth, your tribe's wise woman was sent to quell rebellious spirits of another Ashlander tribe that had taken up residence on your hunting grounds. She survived the encounter, but came back pale and weak. From what you gather, she had sacrificed some of her blood and used it to create a simulacrum of the other clan's blood. It wasn't enough to make her be recognized as kin by the ghosts, but it was enough to make them hesitate and pull their blows. You think you might be able to pull this wise woman's trick off with your current knowledge. The question is: Do you want to?

If you wish, you may sacrifice a recovery to gain a +2 to all defenses and your AC against the spirits in this tomb. You may also perform this ritual on any of the others in the group who are willing to give up a recovery. This won't work against undead with a corporeal body, however; skeletons, zombies, bonewalkers, and other such things are exempt from this. But this ritual may just save you from the crippling curses and spells that ancestor spirits possess.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 17, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"Hmm. Well I guess it's better to have thought of it than be surprised later."

Digs notices the Gold Kanet and goes over to gather some. "Here K'zan, you probably know how to use this better than I do."

He extends the flowers to K'zan. "Also, if it's not too much to ask, would you please stop pilfering my supplies. ESPECIALLY THE THINGS I NEED SPECIFICALLY TO NOT HAVE MY LIFE RUINED-"
Digs looks down when he realizes his hands have gotten warmer and realizes that the kanet is now cinders in his grip. "I'm sorry. It's been a long day. Excuse me for a moment, would you?"

As Digs steps away to quietly curse to himself, he looks at the wound the thug had made earlier, now closed and unnoticeable.
"As crazy as this world gets, the potency of the Hist remains the same."

Recovery roll: 1d6+3=8. Back up to full. :toot:

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

The orc takes a few moments to poke around the entrance while Zairan is in meditation. He squints, prods at a few places, and generally tries to see if there are any traps of the more mundane kind lying in wait.

Check for traps (Charming Scoundrel + Wis): 1d20+6 7
Nice.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Whycalibur posted:

Tombak

The orc takes a few moments to poke around the entrance while Zairan is in meditation. He squints, prods at a few places, and generally tries to see if there are any traps of the more mundane kind lying in wait.

Check for traps (Charming Scoundrel + Wis): 1d20+6 7
Nice.

You find absolutely no indication of traps. Granted, you don't think you searched very well. Still, you did find one thing of note. You find a small part of a muddy footprint on the doorstep that leads to the tomb. Someone has been here recently.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

If you wish, you may sacrifice a recovery to gain a +2 to all defenses and your AC against the spirits in this tomb. You may also perform this ritual on any of the others in the group who are willing to give up a recovery. This won't work against undead with a corporeal body, however; skeletons, zombies, bonewalkers, and other such things are exempt from this. But this ritual may just save you from the crippling curses and spells that ancestor spirits possess.
Hell yeah, I'm down for that. -1 recovery for me.

Zairan Hainnabibi

Zairan removes a dagger from his pack, cuts a deep wound in his hand, then begins chanting some words in the Ashlander tongue. The rest of the party watches, wondering what the hell he's doing. After Zairan finishes chanting, he seems to have a new, almost imperceptible aura. He turns around to see the group's concerned expressions. "Not to worry. I...think that worked. Wasn't sure if I had the right incantation." He clears his throat.

"Now, if you all would like, I can perform a ritual that will offer some protection against the spirits that guard this tomb. But be warned, it will take some of your life force to power the ritual. Not permanently, of course." Zairan offers the dagger to anyone who wishes the ritual performed on them.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak surreptitiously checks to make sure he didn't make the footprint himself before alerting the rest of the group. "Hey, look at this," he calls, pointing down at the footprint with his spear. "It looks like we're not the only ones who decided to stir up ancient spirits in an ill-advised attempt to rob a tomb for murky gain." He lifts an eyebrow. "We'll need to be careful of more than just ghosts."

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Grave

"Well if he triggered any traps we'd see evidence of it, inside or out."

Digs heads over to Zairan. "Ritual sounds fun. Let me try."

Taking off another recovery. Down to 6.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia grabs the dagger and cuts her hand, joining the ritual.

One less recovery which brings me down to seven because everybody was too much of a chump to attack me last battle.

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak

Tombak sighs and joins the others. "Well if it means ghosts won't eat me..." He makes a cut on the back of his hand.

Totally missed your post while I was posting. Whoops.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

K'zan Redpaw

K'zan rolled his eyes slightly. "This one would prefer it if he were not accused of stealing his companion's belongings, especially when said companion was standing nearby when this one purchased the thing he is blamed for taking." the cat groused just quietly enough for Digs to hear, fixing the Argonian member of their troupe with a gently-rebuking glare.

Ah well. Khajiit reputations traveled faster than even the stormiest winds, it seemed! Feeling that small slight taken care of, he turned his attention to Zairan and his ritual-work.

"This one will also avail himself of your ritual, elf-friend. The curses and enchantments of a crypt are nothing to sneer at." he added, sounding a bit...well, grave.

Down a recovery to seven, and I should probably make use of an additional one to recover from the rather thorough beating K'zan took at the tavern.
Recovery Roll: 1d8 7 Not bad, should put K'zan at 16 then, just 2 points under fully-recovered. :woop:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

Upon hearing K'zan, Digs checks his pack. "Wait, you bought some too? When did- I don't even- *Sigh* Let's just get in the tomb before I get even more discombobulated."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Are you sure you want to open that door, Melvin?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

Severia gets tired of all this faffing about and opens the door to the tomb.

gently caress it! Tank's walking in.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

SunAndSpring posted:

Are you sure you want to open that door, Melvin?

Digs is just annoyed and confused right now. He's not really in a position to open any doors right now. So thanks. Djw.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Having grown tired of waiting, you resolve to head forward. You clasp the handle of the door, turn it, and wrench the door towards you. As you do so, you realize all too late that something was on the other side of the door. A body falls out, sprawling onto the entryway after you pull away its headrest.

As you get a better look at it, you see that it is still rather fresh for a corpse. While the former human's face is currently being devoured by flies and their maggots, it's still moslty intact. Five large steel darts stick out of its chest, including one to the heart. You're not sure if this was a Breton or Imperial, but he seems to have been a bandit of some kind, judging from the low quality leather armor he was wearing.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Digs-A-Hole

"See? I told you."

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 19, 2014

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Severia

"So what kind of ghost uses steel darts?"

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
Tombak gro-Murati
HP: 27/27 Recoveries: 7/8 AC: 14 PD: 13 MD: 12

Tombak lets out a little noise as the body flops to the ground, skipping back a step and leveling his spear. Even when the body is clearly dead, he reaches forward and pokes at it with the tip of the spear. "Just in case," he explains as an aside. "I mean, we are dealing with ghosts here."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You learn two things after poking the corpse.
1. It is as dead as it looks.
2. You're going to want to wash your spear off as the tip is now coated in a fatty residue from the decomposing body.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

K'zan Redpaw

The Khajiit snorts a bit. "Well, either he is a terrible thief, and tripped a trap, or other bandits remain, and murdered him quite dead."

With that said, he reached down to pluck said steel darts from the corpse.

"Never know when one needs to hit a switch or lever from a distance." he explains, tossing one lazily from palm to palm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Zairan Hainnabibi

"Or we've got dart throwing skeletons ahead. The depravity of the Great Houses truly knows no bounds. We'd best be on alert for any dangers."

Tread carefully, look for traps (dex+level): 1d20+5 13

• Locked thread