Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dis posted:

So! Just started New Game+ in D4V. I take it you're just supposed to smash through it to get to the post game? I guess I figured there would be hidden challenges or something.

edit: Unlocked Fallen Angel Flonne before I took the plunge, so that, at least, should be some added fun.

Effectively making you play the game twice to unlock all classes is kind of the biggest dick move of D3 and D4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hunter Noventa posted:

Effectively making you play the game twice to unlock all classes is kind of the biggest dick move of D3 and D4.

For all the convenience options they keep adding, what they need to add next is a time warper that lets you go back to a particular chapter instead of going back to the beginning.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Smello posted:

For all the convenience options they keep adding, what they need to add next is a time warper that lets you go back to a particular chapter instead of going back to the beginning.

At first, I wasn't sure what the point of that would be, but now that I think about it, it's kind of a great idea. Especially if it somehow made collecting the various endings easier.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Dis posted:

At first, I wasn't sure what the point of that would be, but now that I think about it, it's kind of a great idea. Especially if it somehow made collecting the various endings easier.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking of. Sometimes when I'm in the mood I can grind for hours just to collect and make 'ultimate' versions of the various weapons for no other reason than just to have them, but when it comes to hammering through the entire main game a half-dozen or more times just to tick the endings off the checklist I somehow never get around to it. Being able to just finish the last chapter/map, or go back to earlier ones to get the "Wow! You lose!" endings, would make that feel way less tedious.

Of course as for the Android unlock, there's really no drat reason not to just let you have it when you start the postgame. That's just them being jerks.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Just to be clear, the Android class is key to the easy item duping method, right?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Erg posted:

Just to be clear, the Android class is key to the easy item duping method, right?

No. The easy dupe method requires Bio Suits.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

One statement and one question for those of you understand all of these numbers far, far better than I do:

Okay, so. Slogging through NG+ isn't as bad as I thought, because I'm basically soloing it with Fallen Angel Flonne. Gave her a good bow and so far, it's plink plink win.

However, that prompts the question bit. Am I right in saying that FA Flonne is more suited to a bow than her Archangelic twin? The aptitudes and skills are different, but I can't seem to find any sort of definitive answer/comparion.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Erg posted:

No, but her unique skills are hilarious. A "blow"-style knockback with no maximum distance, and an attack that hits everything on the map at once.

Dis posted:

Am I right in saying that FA Flonne is more suited to a bow than her Archangelic twin? The aptitudes and skills are different, but I can't seem to find any sort of definitive answer/comparion.
The difference is kind of marginal, but yes, out of the box, Fallen Angel Flonne is better with a bow, and Archangel Flonne is better with magic.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Smello posted:

It's one of the things I like about Tactics Ogre on PSP. Once you finish the game you can freely move between "Anchor Points" in the storyline and try out other decisions and other routes from any of these anchor points.

It has several other totally ridiculous grindfests and the crafting system is an exercise in torture to compensate for that little bit of friendliness though...

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

For the epilogue stuff, can't you just make a save file right before the final boss that you can load up, fulfill your epilogue requirements, and win?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Emron posted:

For the epilogue stuff, can't you just make a save file right before the final boss that you can load up, fulfill your epilogue requirements, and win?

Not if you want to be able to buy all the music and tick off all the boxes in the Data Shop.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Smello posted:

Not if you want to be able to buy all the music and tick off all the boxes in the Data Shop.

drat. Well, at least I can probably kill most story maps in one turn now. The item world is ridiculously easy to get crazy strong items when your team is 1500-3000.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

X-Shard of Regret is loving destroying me. I need enough MV to get to the end, AND I need one of those characters to throw 7 panels long. :negative: I don't think there's items that boost throw like there are shoes, right?

edit: Fuckin' got it. Eugh.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 11, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's a lot easier to just destroy the No Ranged block and kill the Prinny with a super-long-range spell from Raspberyl. You can get her in range as early as turn 1 with a chain of throws, and it doesn't matter if you cover the whole path in Game Over panels if you immediately win.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Emizel's got some great evilities that improve his general base magic special damage, and his single target damage output. If you get him rigged up with fire spells (chara world will be needed as was discussed for tera/peta versions), and have Stella just out driving down the fire resist in general, that boy can be a proper murder machine. His inherent specials aren't all the greatest, but I like his third one, when you can get the enemies to checkerboard out just right.

As for the Valvatorez / final sword ability, that happens at lv500 as also was said.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

5er posted:

As for the Valvatorez / final sword ability, that happens at lv500 as also was said.

That is incorrect sorry. Just to confirm this I looked up what Laharl and Zetta can learn by default. They're both over level 500 when you get them, and they both prioritize swords as much as Val does. Zetta can learn Wings of Fire and Laharl can't.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

King of Solomon posted:

That is incorrect sorry. Just to confirm this I looked up what Laharl and Zetta can learn by default. They're both over level 500 when you get them, and they both prioritize swords as much as Val does. Zetta can learn Wings of Fire and Laharl can't.

I got Rune Edge at level 500. I thought that was the last one. I just looked at the wikia, and I'm hell of wrong.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I'm experiencing a bit of what I think is a glitch in D4 Vita. I had some of those Enforcers, the Innocents that let you move untamed Innocents around at will, and was passing them around various items arranging stuff. However, it seems that after a while, maybe 50-60 moves or so, they just turn into untamed level 2 Gladiators randomly. Is that supposed to happen?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm way in the post game and I just unlocked Des X. :getin: I forgive all the bullshit this game has given me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I noticed that some of my characters get 10 extra points upon reincarnating, while others get something like 56 extra points. How do I increase that number?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pollyanna posted:

I noticed that some of my characters get 10 extra points upon reincarnating, while others get something like 56 extra points. How do I increase that number?

The primary thing that determines the number of bonus points you get on reincarnation is the number of levels you've stored in previous reincarnations. For example, I think I've only reincarnated my archer once, so she has less than 100 levels stored and would only get about 11 bonus points (most of which coming from reincarnating as a Genius.) If I reincarnated my Lady Samurai, who I've reincarnated several times (because chara world), she'd get 125 from her 50k+ stored levels.

So to get more bonus points, grind your characters on Mt Ordeal 4, reincarnate, and repeat.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I feel like I'm rapidly becoming the king of stupid disgaea questions but, hey. Do any of you fine folks know whether you keep postgame characters (say, Marona) when you start a NG+ in D4V? I've done a little research on my own, but I'm getting conflicting stories.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Unless they changed it for D4V you have to unlock them again, but they'll have all the stats/items they did when you started the new cycle I'm pretty sure.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Stat gains on levelups are a percentage of previous stats, not a flat gain to stats, right? I can't seem to find any clarification on the matter.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unless they changed it for D4V you have to unlock them again, but they'll have all the stats/items they did when you started the new cycle I'm pretty sure.

Thanks. I'm nearing the end of my first NG+, so I'll try it out just to test and report back. Some people actually were saying that it HAD changed, but that's sort of why I asked. Give me a day or so.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Epsilon Plus posted:

Stat gains on levelups are a percentage of previous stats, not a flat gain to stats, right? I can't seem to find any clarification on the matter.

I've never confirmed this, but I'm fairly certain the base stats a class has as shown by the numbers for each stat when creating a character is how much they gain upon leveling up. Reincarnation adds bonuses to these per level numbers. I might be wrong about this though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Dis posted:

I feel like I'm rapidly becoming the king of stupid disgaea questions but, hey. Do any of you fine folks know whether you keep postgame characters (say, Marona) when you start a NG+ in D4V? I've done a little research on my own, but I'm getting conflicting stories.

I used the code to unlock the DLC characters, and when I went to NG+ I had to unlock them again. Though, using the code initially puts them at closer to your level, while at NG+ they're level 100+ and have items that are beyond shop value, so I used the Retry feature to get a bunch of legendaries.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Epsilon Plus posted:

According to the Disgaea 2 mechanics FAQ, every levelup gives you approximately 50% of your base stats. So if you make a unit with 16 attack they'll gain around 8 every level. HP works differently and scales with some degree with level.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So I bought a PS vita and am playing through Disgaea 1 again, but I don't see Disgaea 2 on the ps store at all. Is this normal?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Truga posted:

So I bought a PS vita and am playing through Disgaea 1 again, but I don't see Disgaea 2 on the ps store at all. Is this normal?

I don't think Disgaea 2 got a PSN Store release, just a UMD one, but I might be mistaken.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hunter Noventa posted:

I don't think Disgaea 2 got a PSN Store release, just a UMD one, but I might be mistaken.

It did, I can download right now. For the person looking for it I typed in Disgaea 2 in search and it was the first item to pop up.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Yeah it's called Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days and it's $20. I'm looking at it on a vita.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I see it on the psn store now on my PC, but when I log in, I get a 404 on the same loving page. gently caress you sony and your region locking. Are any of you from europe?

Edit: I guess it's time for an US account, the games are cheaper in USD anyway :shrug:

Truga fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 15, 2014

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Sony are the most consistently import-friendly console manufacturer in history, and you're saying gently caress them?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Sony are the most consistently import-friendly console manufacturer in history, and you're saying gently caress them?

Yeah that's a bit harsh. The only real stupidity is how they lock off PSN accounts by region.

Compared to Nintendo they're a saint in that department though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, you're absolutely right, this isn't even Sony's fault it seems, but publishers being idiots as usual.

Got a US account now, found Disgaea 2 in the store right away. Thanks guys.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Truga posted:

Yeah, I see it on the psn store now on my PC, but when I log in, I get a 404 on the same loving page. gently caress you sony and your region locking. Are any of you from europe?
I'm from Europe and bought Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days without any problems. Then again Disgaea 3 Vita was until recently unavailable on PSN in my country despite being available in rest of Europe :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm from Slovenia, and the PSN store was hilarious. Out of _all_ the disgaea titles, only DHD was missing, and after scrolling around the store some more, a lot of the series available had 1 or two games missing.

At least I can say it was consistent :cripes:

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

King of Solomon posted:

The primary thing that determines the number of bonus points you get on reincarnation is the number of levels you've stored in previous reincarnations. For example, I think I've only reincarnated my archer once, so she has less than 100 levels stored and would only get about 11 bonus points (most of which coming from reincarnating as a Genius.) If I reincarnated my Lady Samurai, who I've reincarnated several times (because chara world), she'd get 125 from her 50k+ stored levels.

So to get more bonus points, grind your characters on Mt Ordeal 4, reincarnate, and repeat.

There's also an extra +10 bonus for reincarnating as the same tier of a certain class multiple times in a row. I think it takes 6 or so reincarnations to get this. You'll know you have it when that tier jumps up and down on the reincarnation grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Totally off topic, but a co-worker and I were lamenting Disgaea 5 being PS4 exclusive, and somehow got onto how amazing Dynasty Warriors Disgaea would be as a game. Because it would be incredible.

• Locked thread