Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gimbal lock posted:

Yoshi's island is good and and Kyle's hypothesis on "first played" age is wrong.
The sequels are dogshit though.

Agreed, I was almost done with high school when it was released and didn't play it at all until a few years later on an emulator. The game itself is great, but Keith and Kyle are both pretty lousy at it, sad to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

19LettersLong posted:

Donkey Kong (1994)
Part 1/1 (LP pt.71) [Youtube]

Wow I have to say this game is loving incredible, hot drat this is glorious to see. And drat you already got another vid up, I'm gonna watch it tomorrow cuz I got a splitting headache.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Gimbal lock posted:

Every sequel going forward had the terrible irritating yoshi soundbites, lovely looking art and uninspired music. They also slowed down gameplay in a game that's already sluggish to begin with, and they removed a lot of the challenge in the level design (which there is plenty of in later stages).

They're also completely creatively bankrupt right down to having nearly identical final bosses and the few times they veer off on their own path you get awful poo poo like the baby gimmick in YI2 (where Baby Mario's ability is... being able to run so using anyone else is just a drag) or poo poo like this

They might be perfectly average platformers on their own but the fact that they're follow-ups to such a creative game makes it hard to overlook how loving bland and uninspired they are.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Monprr posted:

I only really played YI:DS. It was slower and didn't feel as responsive. I had no problem maneuvering and throwing eggs on the original, but DS just felt clunky. The baby abilities were also gimmicky and just made it more annoying for collection (god forbid you choose the wrong baby). But the main problem was the level design was confusing and didn't have a flow like the original either.

I played NYI for a few minutes at Best Buy, but I could tell the egg throwing cursor felt like it had a delay in the activation.

Yeah Yoshi's Island is a good looking game, but it also has a lot of depth and flexibility to it's mechanics. I wouldn't put it in the "dumb, but beautiful" category of games like Ryse or Earthworm Jim.

Woah now, let's not say things we can't take back.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I think the reasons opinions differ so much more on Yoshi's Island than a regular Mario game is because the mechanics in Yoshi's Island are so much more complicated. Whether you're really good or really bad at Super Mario World the things you're doing are more or less the same, one play is just worse at doing those things than the other. In Yoshi's Island the experienced player and the new player might as well be playing different games.

I didn't really like YI much until I saw a speedrun and realized just how much you can do with the mechanics. Outside of rare occasions the game doesn't really force you to utilize mechanics like bouncing eggs off of walls or spitting out enemies into other enemies, so it's easy to go through the whole game without ever getting decent at it or picking up on the nuances of the game. You can kind of see this in play during both videos so far, where Kyle or Keith will find a flower or a ? cloud or something that's in an odd spot because the game's trying to teach you utilize the mechanics in some advanced ways, but because it's optional they quickly lose interest and continue onward.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does the Geek Squad job at least pay ok? I feel like the kind of person who uses Best Buy as anything other than the Amazon Showroom has got to be the most annoying person to talk to about anything.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Witching you guys play this is like watching a baby taking it's first steps. :3:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

TechnoSyndrome posted:

In Yoshi's Island the experienced player and the new player might as well be playing different games.

my problem with this argument is that all it does is lead to some neat speedruns, but seeing as how sonic 2006 also leads to neat speedruns and "might as well be a different game" in the hands of an experienced player, that means nothing.

the base game isn't fun so that you want to get that good at it, especially since as you just admitted the game never really NEEDS the player to step up their game the way something like say viewtiful joe does.

also, no amount of skill at getting past the awkward egg throwing controls will ever fix the annoying as hell jump sounds yoshi makes.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 11, 2014

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

Well, I find it pretty fun...

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

sorry but all that fun you had playing that videogame?

guess what motherfucker you didn't actually have fun

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

darealkooky posted:

my problem with this argument is that all it does is lead to some neat speedruns, but seeing as how sonic 2006 also leads to neat speedruns and "might as well be a different game" in the hands of an experienced player, that means nothing.

the base game isn't fun so that you want to get that good at it, especially since as you just admitted the game never really NEEDS the player to step up their game the way something like say viewtiful joe does.

also, no amount of skill at getting past the awkward egg throwing controls will ever fix the annoying as hell jump sounds yoshi makes.

Yoshi's Island doesn't play like garbage when you first pick it up and it isn't a frustrating mess to master like Sonic 06. If you just casually play through Yoshi's Island you are presented with a really pretty game that controls well and gets kind of challenging by the end. If you go deeper you find a game that can get really challenging and rewards you for mastering it. I can understand the mindset that it's not a great game if you have to 100% it to get the most out of it, I don't understand the mindset it isn't a fun game to play.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm very happy that I dropped YIDS pretty quick.

edit: I don't really get where people think YI's egg tossing mechanics are awkward. I recall getting the hang of aiming, bouncing, and figuring out how to aim straight up pretty quick. People complaining about that is just as bizarre to me as the people who can't figure out running and jumping at the same time in regular SMB games.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I picked up Yoshi New Island New D New S alongside Kirby Triple Deluxe, it's a bit easier than the original game, the new Yoshi noises are infuriating, and one of the bonus levels is an entirely vertical level based around the flutter jump... which you haven't had to use substantially yet (and the one time you're forced to use it you can bypass with the cheaty wing) and isn't really taught properly.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I can understand the mindset that it's not a great game if you have to 100% it to get the most out of it, I don't understand the mindset it isn't a fun game to play.

comparing yoshi's island to sonic 2006 is a blatantly unfair point, it's just fun to be extreme and make extreme points.

If you aren't super good at yoshi's island then it's just a mario game, only you don't go as fast and killing enemies takes longer and the levels sometimes require you to do some exploring stuff but not in a way that's really interesting the way say, metroid is.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Motto posted:

edit: I don't really get where people think YI's egg tossing mechanics are awkward. I recall getting the hang of aiming, bouncing, and figuring out how to aim straight up pretty quick. People complaining about that is just as bizarre to me as the people who can't figure out running and jumping at the same time in regular SMB games.

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't just aim manually.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

darealkooky posted:

comparing yoshi's island to sonic 2006 is a blatantly unfair point, it's just fun to be extreme and make extreme points.

If you aren't super good at yoshi's island then it's just a mario game, only you don't go as fast and killing enemies takes longer and the levels sometimes require you to do some exploring stuff but not in a way that's really interesting the way say, metroid is.

But you can kill enemies just as quickly in Yoshi's Island, you just have eggs if you want to kill enemies in the air or more than one at a time.

Pneub posted:

I can't think of any reason why you couldn't just aim manually.

I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to aim with the D pad. The way it works in the game is so quick and effortless it's pretty much the best you can hope for with SNES controls.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

the shooting in metroid or contra is just fine, and you can hit every general angle you can in yoshi's island (and for the few cases where you REALLY need to aim, sure, have the crosshair thing)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yoshi's Island is really more like a Kirby game. It's okay, maybe only challenging when you're going for 100% completion, but really it relies mainly on charm to get by.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It helps that this is one of the most charming games ever made.

I like how it layers in more instruments on the level select screen as it progresses through the worlds.

It's not the most difficult game in the world, but it has its challenges but the main thing to me is that I can't really remember not having fun playing it.

I think it's a simple joy, 2D Nintendo at the top of their game, a fitting swan song for the SNES.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So how long were you trying to push the jump button again in the air instead of just holding it?

Also seeing you try to jump over that one post like five times before you went like two steps back to higher ground to clear it was driving me insane.

UGH YOU GUUUUUYS :arghfist:

chinchilla
May 1, 2010

In their native habitat, chinchillas live in burrows or crevices in rocks. They are agile jumpers and can jump up to 6 ft (1.8 m).
Listening to you guys talking is almost like having friends.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I love how Kyle still thinks half the world actively hates Yoshi's Island because someone said a thing on a podcast that one time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've never played Yoshi's Island, so I don't know if it would be fun for me to play, but I can say that I've never had fun watching it being played. Couldn't enjoy watching its TAS when I still watched TASes all day, didn't have fun watching any LPs I've seen of it.

Most other Mario games I really enjoy watching LPs of.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Watching you guys be awful at YI is worse than watching you be awful at any other game and I don't know why. Tongue up! Hover! Shoot eggs at things! Try things!

This is one of the best platformers of all time and it's generally super intuitive and there's help boxes scattered everywhere and it hurts to watch but of course I'm going to keep on watching and yelling at my screen regardless.

Keep it up!

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
So basically this is a game for babies *gets a million game overs*

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Morholt posted:

So basically this is a game for babies *gets a million game overs*
Mario's Time Machine taught us these guys are literally too smart for these games. It's like asking Einstein why the chicken crossed the road, you know?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
You guys literally spent eighteen minutes on world 2-1

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

darealkooky posted:

What specifically about the sequels makes them worse, gameplay wise?

They're incredibly boring, at least in my experience.

Recently I replayed Yoshi's Island a bit and it still holds up, gameplay-wise. Which is pretty drat impressive considering plattformers weren't even my main interest back then. (Secret of Mana, a RPG, was a game I saved my allowance for nearly six months for, every plattformer I played ever was either a gift or bought used and the price haggled down as much as I could.)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
To be fair, their difficulty could be stemming from the fact that the game does not have an actual Run Button. It goes against every instinct they've got!

Monprr
Jan 28, 2009

Beartaco posted:

I love how Kyle still thinks half the world actively hates Yoshi's Island because someone said a thing on a podcast that one time.

Yeah, and it is hated by the same guy who hates Red Dead Redemption, Super Metroid, and Terminator 2. Jeff is known for hating a lot of great things and is fun to listen to because of how he goes off on things he hates.

With the exception of giantbomb, I mostly see this game being considered one of the best platformers out there.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

It's a shame Waluigious evaporated, that site had the best spergy walls of text on why YIDS sucks.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

If you take Super Mario World (usually in contention with SMB3 for the best mario game out there), and then add awesome visual style, several gameplay mechanics, collectibles, and more variation between worlds, then you have Yoshi's Island. I really can't even buy the argument that this game is "getting by" on being cute and charming. I mean you can dislike what's been added, but it's got a lot of solid poo poo going on.

ArchWizard posted:

It's like asking Einstein why the chicken crossed the road, you know?

This works on two levels.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
I think we can all agree Kyle only dislikes it because 1) he sucks at it and 2) someone from Giant Bomb validates his sucking at it. But you can tell that Keith is really enjoying it. Sure he sucks at it too but if he keeps playing maybe he will become actually somewhat OK at it! In any case it's fun to watch people play for essentially the first time.

As far as pre-N64 Mario games go I'd say this has the best visuals and music, with maybe only SMRPG rivaling it.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Jay-V posted:

I think we can all agree Kyle only dislikes it because 1) he sucks at it and 2) someone from Giant Bomb validates his sucking at it.

Kyle isn't good at plenty of other games that he is quite fond of. I don't see how he performing poorly in this one would be different and correlate to him hating it. That being said, he could be using the podcast to validate how he feels about the game because his opinion is in an overwhelming minority.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Maybe, just maybe, people can feel a variety of way about games regardless of what other people have said about games.

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008
I think the main problem with Yoshi's Island is that if you don't turn it into a 100% collectathon, it's very short, very easy, and almost impossible to die to anything besides spikes. With the drawn graphics and ability to turn into a bunch of weird vehicles, it's a very close comparison with Kirby's Epic Yarn. In either game, if the cuteness factor doesn't do it for you and you aren't inspired to get 100%, you're going to be really bored while you play it.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
As someone who has never played the game before this LP and is enjoying most of it, I've definitely heard people not like this game pretty often. And I don't really listen to the bombcast at all so it wasnt there. IDK going into this game I barely knew anything about it so whatever love there is for this game is a pretty quiet love.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Somethingdumb posted:

IDK going into this game I barely knew anything about it so whatever love there is for this game is a pretty quiet love.

Haha, no.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

Haha, no.

I don't know, I like it, and the people I know do. But that's why I think it's universally liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's quiet until it gets hit, at which point it starts making really annoying noise for a while.

• Locked thread