Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Platinumed it in one playthrough (well I had to release Yuria and defeat flamelurker for the last two cheevos in ng+ but that only took an hour). gently caress pure bladestone in the rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Alright, so I'm about to dive in for the (almost) first time (I actually played about one or two worlds before, but that was months ago so I don't remember much) but FOR REAL now.

Can someone tell me about weapons and armor, I only played both Dark Souls but from what I remember some weapon types had more effect than others in DeS.

I tried most of the starting classes and I could probably go the standard sword & board heavy armored brawler guy, but I really liked the royalty start. I can parry semi-decently, the rapier seems really powerful and soul arrow seems crazy OP for the first world.

Are there any really good dexterity weapons later on? Or should I focus on quality build (I heard DeS is where it all started)? I think on my very first and now lost character I found/bought a claymore and it was OKAY. I also got some kind of big fuckoff hammer from the dragon head guy but not sure if that was any good since I never got to try it.

I know next to nothing about world tendency but I will go by friend's advice and just stick to the pure white for my first playthrough.

e: can you defeat the tutorial demon the first time you meet him?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Royal is far and away the best starter class. Armor isn't really that big a deal. I've always been partial to the Meat Cleaver and Blueblood Sword as far as weapons go.

Have fun grinding for upgrade materials.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Are there any really good dexterity weapons later on? Or should I focus on quality build (I heard DeS is where it all started)?

e: can you defeat the tutorial demon the first time you meet him?

Quality is an actual upgrade line you apply to a weapon in Demon's Souls, unlike the later games where it's just a concept. As is Sharp, which gives you dex scaling. Unlike the other souls games, you get to pick how you want to scale a weapon's physical attack, within limits: you can't take any weapon down any line, there're constraints.

The Uchi, for eg can go down either the Sharp or Quality path (or Tearing, if dex + bleed is your thing). The Claymore cannot, but has Quality and Crushing (strength) as options. There're a few good dex scalable weapons in world 4-1, not the easiest of starting worlds when you're new to the game).

The upgrade system in Demon's is a lot more intricate and complicated compared to the later games, reading up on it is a good idea. There're a lot more ore types and availability can be low, so it's easier to screw up a build. The other games really simplified this part of the game.

And yeah, defeating Vanguard is entirely possible.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Royal is far and away the best starter class. Armor isn't really that big a deal. I've always been partial to the Meat Cleaver and Blueblood Sword as far as weapons go.

Speaking of those, nobody will think badly of you if you use the copy glitch on them.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go for a quality build, I think I haven't played a pure dex build before. What's bleed like in DeS? Good/bad?

If I'd chose to stick to the rapier, would it carry me through the whole game? I guess I'm looking for weapon that I wouldn't have to change in the middle of my playthrough because it ran out of steam.

I might poke my head into each of the worlds and see what I can find, when I played for a bit before I went clockwise but I've heard you can get some neat stuff from some of the other worlds early.

Is Blueblood Sword this game's Moonlight Sword?

re: Meat Cleaver, I think I got that weapon off one of the phantoms in the first world but it only unlocked after getting my world tendency down IIRC, can I get it some other way?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for the answers. I think I'll go for a quality build, I think I haven't played a pure dex build before. What's bleed like in DeS? Good/bad?

If I'd chose to stick to the rapier, would it carry me through the whole game? I guess I'm looking for weapon that I wouldn't have to change in the middle of my playthrough because it ran out of steam.

I might poke my head into each of the worlds and see what I can find, when I played for a bit before I went clockwise but I've heard you can get some neat stuff from some of the other worlds early.

Is Blueblood Sword this game's Moonlight Sword?

re: Meat Cleaver, I think I got that weapon off one of the phantoms in the first world but it only unlocked after getting my world tendency down IIRC, can I get it some other way?

Bleed is a slow reduction of HP, as opposed to a large reduction at one time like DS or plain poo poo like in DS2

Damage type is more important in Demon's than in Dark, so although you could get by with a rapier, it would make your life easier if you had a couple of weapons to back you up. Use your rapier until you see enemies not taking much damage from it, then try some others.

Everybody has their own recommended way to go, and yeah, depending on your build you can get some great gear early on that would make your life much easier. Just play around and see how far you get.

No, because this game's Moonlight Sword is the Moonlight Sword, although it's based on FTH and not INT.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wrong, the actual best starting class is the Temple Knight, so long as you take off some of the armor when you start (so you have fast roll). Soul Arrow is nice and all, but it's nothing compared to how ridiculously good the Halberds in this game are. The Heal miracle is also a nice bonus.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You didn't get the Meat Cleaver off of a phantom as it is a boss soul weapon. You're probably thinking of the Guillotine Axe Executioner Miralda drops.

The Large Sword of Moonlight is this game's Moonlight Greatsword, the Blueblood Sword is more like Artorias' Greatsword or the Majestic Greatsword. High stat requirements across the board, though it is probably the strongest weapon in the game from what I remember and the moveset is great. If you do use it, keep in mind that the damage scales off luck (this is the only scenario in which luck is worth gently caress all, if you don't use this sword do not put points into luck).

Genocyber posted:

Wrong, the actual best starting class is the Temple Knight, so long as you take off some of the armor when you start (so you have fast roll). Soul Arrow is nice and all, but it's nothing compared to how ridiculously good the Halberds in this game are. The Heal miracle is also a nice bonus.

It's not just Soul Arrow that makes Royal good. Though yeah, oneshot killing literally everything in the first few areas with it is pretty nice.

edit: I guess to clarify, Soul Arrow plus the Fragrant Ring are what makes Royal the best and easiest class. Starting at level one is just a nice bonus for allowing you to put your points wherever you want. I really don't care how good any weapon is, magic is better in Demon's Souls. There's never a point in this game you can't cheese with magic. Also Heal is pointless with how much grass the game throws at you, and that's a lot quicker and more efficient to use anyway.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 11, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think I actually did choose the Temple Knight the first time I played. It was easy enough but I guess I'm just not too fond of halberds in general. I usually go for the biggest weapon I can find if the moveset doesn't suck.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Any opinions on the Rune Sword and shield? I kind of want to make a build around them, but from what I hear I'd be better off just magic enchanting literally anything else, and I can never tell if people on the internet are just being forthright about something that sucks or just grossly overacting about optimization.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Flytrap posted:

Any opinions on the Rune Sword and shield? I kind of want to make a build around them, but from what I hear I'd be better off just magic enchanting literally anything else, and I can never tell if people on the internet are just being forthright about something that sucks or just grossly overacting about optimization.

The sword is definitely tough to recommend given that it needs colorless souls to upgrade and even then the scaling is awful. The shield is ok I guess, but don't bother upgrading it since the guard reduction doesn't increase for whatever reason. Having played an Ostrava build its definitely doable for NG, just slow going.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Flytrap posted:

No reason to use them unless you want to roleplay as Ostrava.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oi, that sucks, I always though they both looked cool. Oh well, might as well do that moonlight build then.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
gently caress you didn't tell me 4-1 was bonewheel world before you sent me there for the sword :argh: Not to mention these guys are like bonewheels on crack.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're nowhere near as bad as bonewheels. If you have a blunt weapon it'll make short work of the skeletons.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

lordfrikk posted:

gently caress you didn't tell me 4-1 was bonewheel world before you sent me there for the sword :argh: Not to mention these guys are like bonewheels on crack.
You will learn to love that area for the Bladestone.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Bonetumblers and bonewheels should be friends.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I think my impression is due to fighting them on SL1 whether I always fought them later on when I at least had a decent weapon and stats. I can imagine poking the gaps between their ribs with my rapier isn't the most efficient method how to dispose of them.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Speaking of which, if you end up farming pure bladestone in 4-1, try not to leave the tendency as pure black if you go to NG+, it's a pretty rude surprise even at level 120+.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm starting my first Demon Souls play through! I've checked out the wiki on the upgrade system but is there anything like dark souls where it's better to spend souls on weapons instead of stat levelling?

Also I started as a soldier before reading on some of the easier start classes. I think I heading to the armor spider with a broadsword/spear and steel shield. Am I in trouble? :ohdear:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm starting my first Demon Souls play through! I've checked out the wiki on the upgrade system but is there anything like dark souls where it's better to spend souls on weapons instead of stat levelling?

Also I started as a soldier before reading on some of the easier start classes. I think I heading to the armor spider with a broadsword/spear and steel shield. Am I in trouble? :ohdear:

Leveling becomes expensive VERY quickly, while weapons cost almost nothing to upgrade, so you will never run into this issue. Sticky white stuff makes armor spider a joke.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There are only two bosses people tend to have a lot of trouble with and neither of them is Armor Spider. You can't cheese it with your load out but I don't think it will end up a roadblock for you either.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I hit it with my sword until it died. Melee pattern was pretty easy to pick up, as someone said earlier.

Thanks friends!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Could anyone tell me where Tales of Old plays? I probably missed it. It's such beautiful tune. Especially the bit at 0:57, gets me every time (is there a name for it, I wonder?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bbALTxXpg

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It plays when the monumental is filling you in about the state of Boletaria and what happened before.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks!

I have to say that the story intro is super good (which makes the DSII intro even worse in retrospect, it was completely pointless and boring). The voice actress totally nailed the tone, and when she started enumerating names of the heroes I got chills (Sixth Saint Astrea!). Amazing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

lordfrikk posted:

Some important pieces of information for this area:

If you found the Thief Ring, you only ever have to fight one skeleton at a time, just proceed carefully.

They're super weak to blunt damage, like if you hypothetically have a rapier like you say or a spear you can probably do more damage to them by punching them with your bare hands depending on your level and stats. Use any blunt weapon on them and it will be better, if you have a halberd that completely destroys them. Don't bother sidestepping or dodging just walk backwards they roll towards you and strike as they recover. The weaknesses in Demon's Souls I feel are much more important to exploit in this respect.

The skeletons give very good experience for the early game, a common early grinding spot is the beginning for 4-1, you just kill the few skeletons leading up to the actual building, then run back to the archstone and level up.

All skeleton enemies can commonly drop the Soul Remains item. This is AWESOME. You throw it out, and any enemies near it will attack it uselessly for several seconds. You can use these to make some points very easy, particularly when you run into the skeletons that use two katana at once.

When you're inside, the skeletons will get caught rolling into corners and have difficulty with stairs, learn to exploit that.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks for the tips! I switched to a decently upgraded long sword which can take them out in 3 hits, that's good enough for me. I managed to slog my way through to the end and kill the Adjudicator but then I found a secret passage and some super crazy black skeleton chopped me to pieces, seems like he had waaay more health than the other black skeletons I met so far. Since I couldn't find out how to continue I went to 2-1 and proceeeded to kill the Armored Spider, currently killing bugs.

So far I really love the tone of the game but I kinda hate the tendency, which is even worse because friend told me it supposedly constantly shifts according to other people's tendencies or something. That's pretty lovely. And the upgrade material system combined with item encumberance is making me want to scream in anger sometimes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks for the tips! I switched to a decently upgraded long sword which can take them out in 3 hits, that's good enough for me. I managed to slog my way through to the end and kill the Adjudicator but then I found a secret passage and some super crazy black skeleton chopped me to pieces, seems like he had waaay more health than the other black skeletons I met so far. Since I couldn't find out how to continue I went to 2-1 and proceeeded to kill the Armored Spider, currently killing bugs.

So far I really love the tone of the game but I kinda hate the tendency, which is even worse because friend told me it supposedly constantly shifts according to other people's tendencies or something. That's pretty lovely. And the upgrade material system combined with item encumberance is making me want to scream in anger sometimes.

The general tendency is a mix of the server's neutral state, and a combination of all other players on the server. The servers are set to Not Quite White and at this point, most of the people still playing are pretty drat good at the game, so even if you really darken you're world it will go back to whitish pretty fast if you leave the world. If you're looking to go to a specific state though, you want to go offline.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tendency really isn't that big of a deal. All it does it gate a bit of extra content that's neat but not necessary for anything. Usually just a weapon or something. Server tendency affecting yours is a good thing, since on the NA version most worlds are almost always at +2 white, meaning you only need to kill a single boss in the world to set it to pure white (do note that logging out and back in will reset your tendency so if you get it to pure white, look on the wiki for any things it does and do them, if you care to).

Read the wiki for the upgrade system because it is pointlessly obtuse. You can only upgrade weapons to certain paths, can only upgrade them to those paths if they are at a specific level (iirc you need a longsword to be +3 to make it crushing; any lower or high and you cannot) and what that level is can vary from weapon to weapon.

For encumbrance, just empty out your excess stuff (upgrade materials, weapons and armor you don't plan to use) at Thomas every time you return to the Nexus, and always keep the Ring of Herculean Strength handy if you pick up a bunch of heavy poo poo in a level.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks!

I have to say that the story intro is super good (which makes the DSII intro even worse in retrospect, it was completely pointless and boring). The voice actress totally nailed the tone, and when she started enumerating names of the heroes I got chills (Sixth Saint Astrea!). Amazing.

Demon's Souls straight up has the best intro of any Souls game thus far. I like the pre-game video a lot too, where it talks about the irrevocable poison and you have that sequence with the knight fighting skelly mans. It actually perfectly encapsulates every aspect of the gameplay: summoning help, fighting overwhelming enemies, giant bosses...and dying.

In any other game, the cut to black with all your allies coming in and the Dragon God roaring would imply that your hero totally kicks its rear end. In Demon's Souls, it makes me think that as soon as the camera cuts away, the Dragon God punches the area twice and kills everybody in one fluid motion.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The cutscene would be a lot better if it didn't have such an awful theme, which is what I remember about it more than anything else. Demon's Souls still has some of my favorite features from the series but it definitely has the worst soundtrack in my opinion, which is a problem because the two Dark Souls soundtracks are not exactly strong competition. Aside from a few memorable themes where they remembered how to do something else, most of the themes sound like they just told the Angry Dissonant Choir to improvise and threw it in the game(s).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

The cutscene would be a lot better if it didn't have such an awful theme, which is what I remember about it more than anything else. Demon's Souls still has some of my favorite features from the series but it definitely has the worst soundtrack in my opinion, which is a problem because the two Dark Souls soundtracks are not exactly strong competition. Aside from a few memorable themes where they remembered how to do something else, most of the themes sound like they just told the Angry Dissonant Choir to improvise and threw it in the game(s).

You're objectively wrong on this fyi

Demon's has by far the best soundtrack. Dark Souls is overall worse; not bad but just a lot more generic fantasy. Dark Souls II is more middling I find.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Genocyber posted:

You're objectively wrong on this fyi

Yup! :hf:

e: but I like Dark Souls' soundtrack, too. It's different in tone but still very memorable and some of the boss themes are out of this world, guys: Ornstein & Smough, Sif the Great Grey Wolf and Gwyn, Lord of Cinder are my personal favorites. Firelink Theme is a given. DSII's Majula Theme is equally as great, the rest of the soundtrack is forgettable, though, most of them are super generic and sound kind of muddled, maybe it's because their volume is set too low?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 13, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zihSkliPxxA

the best soundtraHA

HA HA HA

HA

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yes.

lordfrikk posted:

Yup! :hf:

e: but I like Dark Souls' soundtrack, too. It's different in tone but still very memorable and some of the boss themes are out of this world, guys: Ornstein & Smough, Sif the Great Grey Wolf and Gwyn, Lord of Cinder are my personal favorites. Firelink Theme is a given. DSII's Majula Theme is equally as great, the rest of the soundtrack is forgettable, though, most of them are super generic and sound kind of muddled, maybe it's because their volume is set too low?

You forgot Pinwheel's theme.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Flamelurker :wtc:

Is this one of the two bosses mentioned that gives people trouble because :stare:. I've almost killed him twice now (ended up grinding a couple of levels to get soul arrow on my lil soldier since straight melee seems to be right out) and am using the pillars to play keep away. Does he have some kind of berserk when he's low HP? It seems like my last couple of tries he's one or two soul arrows away from dead but he goes into this frantic combo mode where it's just nothing but fire all the time and I'm stunned until dead.

edit - :siren::toot::woop:I did it I killed the monsterman hooray :woop::toot::siren:

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 13, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I actually killed Flamelurker on my first try as a melee guy, but I think I used about 50 crescent moon grasses in the process :catstare: Using the sticky white stuff (eww) helped a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

Flamelurker :wtc:

Is this one of the two bosses mentioned that gives people trouble because :stare:. I've almost killed him twice now (ended up grinding a couple of levels to get soul arrow on my lil soldier since straight melee seems to be right out) and am using the pillars to play keep away. Does he have some kind of berserk when he's low HP? It seems like my last couple of tries he's one or two soul arrows away from dead but he goes into this frantic combo mode where it's just nothing but fire all the time and I'm stunned until dead.

Yes. When he gets low on HP he loves to spam the AOE attack. You can try doing 3-1 first; the Demon's soul you get from there can be made into Soul Ray, this game's version of Soul Spear. It's quite good. Otherwise, when he does the AOE and you're close make sure to dodge to the side, not away. The hitbox hits outwardly quite a bit, but not very much to the side.

• Locked thread