Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

net work error posted:

France is gonna own USA aren't they? I fear Diaw irrationally after the finals.

Diaw owns that is a totally rational fear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Diaw just stands in the high post, doesn't run back on defense, doesn't even move when there's timeouts or halftime. He just stands at the top of the key the entire game and france wins 54-53

Or team USA wins 92-75 I don't know

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I avoided the score all day and just watched the replay and that game totally owned. Gobert is a loving monster. The NBA should allow for on rim goal-tending defense. I can't wait for an entire season of Pau-faces. France is completely useless on offense without Diaw, but Diaw owns. Hurtel's three was some remorseless Ali Faruknomesh garbage and it owned. I am disappointed that no one got nut-shotted. France should have played Edwin Jackson just to infuriate me.

Someone dunk on that Diot guy, he completely sucks and needs to be styled on also while I have your attention in this space USA #1.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kibner posted:

DeRozan is the only guy with the combination of height and hops that could probably do it. Maybe Rose as a dark horse.

If Rose ended his career by violently death dunking a French person, I would be ok with that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

R.D. Mangles posted:

I avoided the score all day and just watched the replay and that game totally owned. Gobert is a loving monster. The NBA should allow for on rim goal-tending defense.

I know that Stern was pushing to change the to this during his last season

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I love Boris Diaw so much. Really happy that his career is going strong (again).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

R.D. Mangles posted:

I avoided the score all day and just watched the replay and that game totally owned. Gobert is a loving monster. The NBA should allow for on rim goal-tending defense. I can't wait for an entire season of Pau-faces. France is completely useless on offense without Diaw, but Diaw owns. Hurtel's three was some remorseless Ali Faruknomesh garbage and it owned. I am disappointed that no one got nut-shotted. France should have played Edwin Jackson just to infuriate me.

Someone dunk on that Diot guy, he completely sucks and needs to be styled on also while I have your attention in this space USA #1.

Oh man I haven't thought about Ali Farrokmanesh in a long time.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
It's a pretty big deal in Spain, I imagine before long you'll be able to find Spanish headlines of riots all over the nation, disaffected youth will take to the streets, we'll see widespread violence in a spiral of worsening economic conditions. Honestly the country may well collapse under the weight of this loss.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Master Barbarian
Sep 9, 2014

EvanTH posted:

It's a pretty big deal in Spain, I imagine before long you'll be able to find Spanish headlines of riots all over the nation, disaffected youth will take to the streets, we'll see widespread violence in a spiral of worsening economic conditions. Honestly the country may well collapse under the weight of this loss.

it's like they lost in soccer world up in brazil...it's over with their era

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Of course Europe would be able to make basketball into a low-scoring game where you blame the refs for everything and yet still come away entertained.

What does this mean for Spanish basketball longterm? Like obviously if Team USA lost this tournament barely anyone in the US would give a poo poo, but is this like Brazil losing the FIFA Cup or what?

This was their golden generation. It's baaaad. Though if they are smart they can build a decent team around Marc for a couple tournaments.
It's a surprising result, but what people don't bring up much is that their shooters, especially Navarro, are very very streaky.

Also, my spanish has grown terrible but I thought I read Pau was hurting before/during the game. Does anyone know if that's actually true?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They'll still have Marc, Rubio, and Ibaka for a few more tournaments. And if Mirotic chooses to play with them at the Senior level, that's potentially a solid young player (FIBA would have to expand the number of naturalized players allowed on a team which they have discussed doing). Alex Abrines is also a guy that they're saying is a young Rudy Fernandez. He'll be in the NBA soon I think.

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Niwrad posted:

They'll still have Marc, Rubio, and Ibaka for a few more tournaments. And if Mirotic chooses to play with them at the Senior level, that's potentially a solid young player (FIBA would have to expand the number of naturalized players allowed on a team which they have discussed doing). Alex Abrines is also a guy that they're saying is a young Rudy Fernandez. He'll be in the NBA soon I think.

They can't play Mirotic AND Ibaka. Only one naturalized citizen per squad.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I see Spanish Chocolate has taken his beard game straight to caveman. Impressive.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What does that sign say?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Kibner posted:

What does that sign say?

Haven't practiced Spanish in 10 years, but it looks like:
Ricky!! I came from ? to see you. If you gift me your jersey I'll be the happiest boy in the world. You're my idol.

pylb fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 11, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Thanks! How sweet. :3:

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

pylb posted:

Haven't practiced Spanish in 10 years, but it looks like:
Ricky!! I came from ? to see you. If you gift me your jersey I'll be the happiest boy in the world. You're my idol.

He came from Ciudad Real (a town about 120 miles south of Madrid that since they got the AVE has essentially become an exurb for the capital, and is best known for this massive bit of property-bubble induced hubris), and honestly if I was a kid that came an hour on the train by myself to see my favorite player I'd like at least an autograph.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Rubio ruins another team, and another nation.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What time is the USA game on at?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WYA posted:

3 est I think.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WYA posted:

Kibner posted:

3 est I think.

Thank y'all for these posts, I forgot the game was today.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Lithuania is peepee. Is linus kleiza gonna play?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

straight up brolic posted:

He's not in the squad you idiot!!!!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

A .gif file where calvin pisses on this

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
donatas and jonas could probably do something if their guards were capable of throwing an entry pass that won't immediately lead to a usa fast break dunk

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I put a wager on USA last game (-25) and I'm very likely going to continue to do so for the last two games. Something about this group of guys makes them awfully easy to underestimate.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

straight up brolic posted:

I remember when he (apparently) left Mizzou early because Quin Snyder stole his girlfriend.

gently caress Quin Snyder.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It was always cool in Marvel vs Capcom 2 when you would use Captain America and you would use Stars & Stripes so anyways USA should win this one easily.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I like that the commentator had to point out the two Lithuanian big men are NBA players.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This Lithuanian team Phoenix Sunsed it into the semis so it should be an easy win.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Here it is, the remaining game that we could theoretically lose. I mean, we'll win, but Lithuania is only like a 20-1 underdog in this one.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Kyrie just got merked

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It's a golden age for players named Jonas in the NBA

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

OrangeKing posted:

Here it is, the remaining game that we could theoretically lose. I mean, we'll win, but Lithuania is only like a 20-1 underdog in this one.

France on a good day is a much better team than this Lithuanian team without a pg

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Igor Strelkov posted:

France on a good day is a much better team than this Lithuanian team without a pg

That's a fair point. I keep forgetting how big a problem that is for Lithuania.

Seven minutes of Lithuanian free throws incoming!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I am a fan of Lithuanian Shrek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

Igor Strelkov posted:

Right, but we'll get bounced out by Serbia so USA will never face us.

• Locked thread