Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Tin Tim posted:

Alex is stable but poo poo is still pretty hosed :suspense:

I can't believe the crazy fucker not only tried to save him, but actually did it without losing anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Ethereal just showed up WELP

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
An ethereal shows up to crash the party! :xcom:

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Oh man. So much for sleep tonight!

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Yeah I'm not sure about this Long War thing.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Just play LW on Normal instead of Impossible and it'll be a little less rough.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Shouldn't one more reinforcement be coming next turn?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

WraithMind posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about this Long War thing.

You should be fine so long as you don't play Ironman Impossible. There's also the Cinematic Mode option (+15 to aim universally across all Xcom units, air and ground) which makes things even easier, if Normal/Classic are too hard still.

Beagle has been doing amazingly well even on Impossible, too. The aliens are down to dropping 3 meld per canister, which means they've been against the ropes for a while. Even if he loses this base defence, he could well pull the campaign back still.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I'm loving all the shouting in chat to tell him things. Hi Hobo Siege and amanasleep!

Spoiling him on ethereals being able to jump, shame on you.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

animatorZed posted:

Shouldn't one more reinforcement be coming next turn?

He already burned through all his Reinforcements, which will happen if you are losing blueshirts early.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Dominic White posted:

You should be fine so long as you don't play Ironman Impossible. There's also the Cinematic Mode option (+15 to aim universally across all Xcom units, air and ground) which makes things even easier, if Normal/Classic are too hard still.

Also maybe I'm wrong but I think LW changed it so that losing the base mission doesn't necessarily mean game over?

ninja edits :arghfist:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Verviticus posted:

is alexd a blueshirt or an actual squad member

Alex is the new Otto Zander

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Also maybe I'm wrong but I think LW changed it so that losing the base mission doesn't necessarily mean game over?

ninja edits :arghfist:
This is correct, but the after-affects are pretty punishing. You lose all your captives, a lot of resources, and a lot of engineers/scientists, while the aliens get a big research boost.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

FallenGod posted:

Just play LW on Normal instead of Impossible and it'll be a little less rough.

Haha, no way. My first ever base defense was on Normal during september and I got more or less this exact alien army dumped on me, ethereals included. A Ukranian with a very large gun and HEAT was my sole saving grace. The HP totals aren't even -that- different.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
He has 5 dudes against two mechtoids, two sectoid commanders, an ethereal, a drone, and a cyberdisk. He has no rockets. Yeah he's totally hosed.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
my first base defence met its end by crashing into the ocean because it didnt trigger until 2016 somehow

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I feel real sorry for Beags. He did pretty well, but now.... :qq:

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
The fact that this happened the day after he finished cutting up all his HEAT is pretty loving funny though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

His current plan is hide and hope they come through the door one at a time :lol:

I can't stop watching. It's like a car wreck in slow motion

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Away all Goats posted:

His current plan is hide and hope they come through the door one at a time :lol:

this is how i beat transports

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Away all Goats posted:

Not just that, if he can kill the flying enemies he can run along the catwalks across to the other side of the map and kite them all over again.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
haha I forgot all about the mutons. This is amazing

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ethereal just burst through the door and killed one of his captains in one hit. In repositioning he revealed himself to a mechtoid. In the ensuing chaos he managed to kill the ethereal, then a muton took up high ground against him and missed a near point-blank shot about one of his uncovered troops. Now everyone's out of ammo. Further bulletins as events warrant.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Keep it up please i can't watch the stream while i'm at work! :justpost:

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Daaaamn, if he left put someone on the right he could have stalled the mutons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Muton hopped down into point-blank flanking cover and took a shot. One of his troops (Awo) did covering fire reaction at point blank, and missed. Muton finished his shot and incapacitated a MSGT, who bled out three turns later. What a tragedy. Also, it made Awo panic.
He's down to like 3 soldiers. Also got successfully pegged on overwatch by a mechtoid and suffered serious injury.

E: Just fleeing now. Panic. Beagle is having a real-world panic turnskip. EVAC! WE NEED EMERGENCY EVAC. NOW, DAMMIT, NOW!

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Well, he had five guys outside. The ethereal pasted one. Then a muton knocked one unconscious. There are two mechtoids and a sectoid commander and ?? and he's got 3 wounded units running over the catwalks back to the mech bay.

e: apparently ?? is a muton who's been camping the same spot in the mech bay for 2 hours

Enkor fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 12, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

He's killed all the air/flying units right?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Three survivors left: Awo, Partizan, and Mikey. Also, Beagle's morale has broken and he is hunkering down.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

One of the Mechtoids is badly damaged, so he actually has a chance of finishing it off. If he can isolate the remaining aliens and luck out, he might JUST be able to survive. This'll be possibly the closest victory ever, or the most heroic defeat.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

It's a huge miracle that he's still going. That vent of the last stand was amazing :golfclap:

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Finally makes it to the mech bay and a muton has been waiting here for him on overwatch for the entire mission.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
He managed to Disabling Shot a muton, but then a mectoid ran into the room. He's hiding on the catwalks, scared of overwatches.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Haha, I was waiting for that commander to show up.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Sectoid Commander runs into a flanking position. Opportunist overwatch crits it down to 1 hp...and Covering Fire overwatch kills it in full cover!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Holy poo poo, he's managed to bring the odds down to 3v3, and two of the enemies are badly damaged. Not only that, but AlexD is STILL ALIVE, just battered, bloody and unconscious.

He might just, somehow, against all odds pull this one off.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yeah he's down to a muton at 1 health, plus two mechtoids, one of which is damaged.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

1 Mechtoid down! Only one other Mech and a 1-hp muton left!

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
He's doing it. He's actually loving doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hobo Siege posted:

He's doing it. He's actually loving doing it.

The aliens are going to be dropping 1 Meld per canister at this rate. He literally just took down an Ethereal's personal elite guard before he's even fielded a single MEC.

Edit: If he pulls this off, AlexD needs to be the biggest, baddest melee MEC ever. He will punch ALL the Berserkers.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 12, 2014

• Locked thread