Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Endman posted:

I'll have to see if I can land on top of a balloon. :v:

Sounds like a great co-op mission!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eumenides
Sep 24, 2007

This is the face of Lawful Good!

Fun Shoe
Germany and Strategic Bombers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

While we're waiting for the end of the voting period, let's check back in with Conrad.

We're up for a balloon attack today. Should be a cake walk... or a blue milk run... or whatever it is pilots say when something should be easy, I don't know! You may notice we've received a bit of an upgrade as well.

Well, that was fun. Not quite the upgrade we probably need at this point in the war, but it's better than nothing!

Unfortunately for us there's a bug in Rise of Flight's in-built career generator that makes it forget balloon kills for some reason. This bug has been in the game for ages, but it never seems to get fixed. I'll be glad to switch over to Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator where this doesn't happen nearly as often.

The squadron decides they don't like us very much and so they throw us out on a solo patrol with no backup. Well, all the more glory for the taking!

Ah. Well, um... poo poo.

:doh:

Addendum:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok now that I've finally watched the videos...

Another way you can differentiate the Alb D.III from D.II is that it copies the sesquiplane wings of the Nieuports, the lower wing is thinner/narrower and has only a single structural spar. Also, I know you're probably mostly just showing it off, but I'm usually not a big fan of upgunning most of the Scouts in this game. I mean sure the extrafirepower helps, but that is a lot of weight/drag to be adding to the plane and I usually don't think the firepower makes up for the performance hit.

Also (and I'm starting to feel like a nag, sorry :shobon:), the Albatros you forced down in the first video didn't land in the ocean, he landed in the flooded No Man's Land of Flanders. During the First Battle of Ypres, the devastated French and Belgian forces were in danger of being overrun by the Germans and British reinforcements wouldn't be available soon, so as a last ditch measure they opened flood gates of multiple canals and rivers in the low-lands and flooded the whole region :black101:, creating a boggy lagoon 1-2 miles wide that stretched several dozen miles and was upwards of 3-4 feet deep.

While this did halt the German advance, it also secured the flanks in that area and just helped promote Trench Warfare. :v:

Endman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 12, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
rip

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I wish there were parachutes available. That way you could bail out and shoot at enemy planes while slowly falling towards the ground.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Aww poo poo. :(

The damage modeling in this game is incredible. There's nothing cooler than lining up a deflection shot, unloading some rounds, and seeing one of their wings start to peel away, sending them into a death spiral. Good poo poo.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Shine posted:

Aww poo poo. :(

The damage modeling in this game is incredible. There's nothing cooler than lining up a deflection shot, unloading some rounds, and seeing one of their wings start to peel away, sending them into a death spiral. Good poo poo.

Except when it peels away and flies into your plane seriously wounding you and destroying your propeller.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Is that the pilot lying there like a roasted chicken, in the bottom left?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

The Casualty posted:

No, it's actually the roasted chicken the pilot was trying to eat which caused him to crash.
Colonel Sanders kill count: 1

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

The Casualty posted:

Looks like it.

Here's a great website for photos of WWI and early aviation

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I vote for British flying boats. I demand comedy and this seems like the best method.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I wish there were parachutes available. That way you could bail out and shoot at enemy planes while slowly falling towards the ground.

And risk cowardly pilots jumping at the first sign if the enemy or a few small holes in their canvas?! I think not! These Aeroplanes are expensive you know!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
That crash was my favorite kind. By which I mean one where the plane doesn't explode.

*Clunk*

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eh, you got four confirmed kills and three balloons. If every pilot did as well as you, the air war would be over already!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hotwire posted:

That crash was my favorite kind. By which I mean one where the plane doesn't explode.

*Clunk*

Those are the best in this game because of the soft body physics and breakable parts. I still remember this older flight sim from the mid 2000s where crashing just caused a 3D crater model to form where you landed with a few random parts of your plane scattered around it. Combat Something?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Those are the best in this game because of the soft body physics and breakable parts. I still remember this older flight sim from the mid 2000s where crashing just caused a 3D crater model to form where you landed with a few random parts of your plane scattered around it. Combat Something?

Combat Flight Simulator maybe?

Most games do that, modern or old. It simplifies a lot to just have a plane explode when contacting the ground at high velocity, compared to Rise of Flight taking more physics into account and how it affects the aircraft.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I find that most of the great feeling you get from Rise of Flight has to do with the amazing physics system. With most flight sims, you have to skip along the line of whatever boolean variable controls the broken/not broken property of certain static aeroplane parts, whereas in RoF you can scuff, tear and bend so many different parts of the plane and still keep it flying that it adds to the tension of aerial combat. Do I take my wonky, shot up wing around for another pass for possible glory, or do I limp home without risking the plane falling apart? Really brings home the fragility of flying a bunch of canvas and timber hastily strapped to a propeller.

My favourite moment in this game was landing a biplane with only its top wings left. I was low and slow enough when the bottom two came off that I could drift down onto the grass... and proceed to continue the fight with my service revolver as an ad-hoc AA battery :black101:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Combat Flight Simulator maybe?

Most games do that, modern or old. It simplifies a lot to just have a plane explode when contacting the ground at high velocity, compared to Rise of Flight taking more physics into account and how it affects the aircraft.

Nah, it was a smaller game without the Microsoft brand. It was an early example of free-to-play, being able to download a demo version with only a few planes and I think only a limited number of AI battles. I remember that PC Gamer's demo discs once had a download for it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok now that I've finally watched the videos...

Another way you can differentiate the Alb D.III from D.II is that it copies the sesquiplane wings of the Nieuports, the lower wing is thinner/narrower and has only a single structural spar. Also, I know you're probably mostly just showing it off, but I'm usually not a big fan of upgunning most of the Scouts in this game. I mean sure the extrafirepower helps, but that is a lot of weight/drag to be adding to the plane and I usually don't think the firepower makes up for the performance hit.

Also (and I'm starting to feel like a nag, sorry :shobon:), the Albatros you forced down in the first video didn't land in the ocean, he landed in the flooded No Man's Land of Flanders. During the First Battle of Ypres, the devastated French and Belgian forces were in danger of being overrun by the Germans and British reinforcements wouldn't be available soon, so as a last ditch measure they opened flood gates of multiple canals and rivers in the low-lands and flooded the whole region :black101:, creating a boggy lagoon 1-2 miles wide that stretched several dozen miles and was upwards of 3-4 feet deep.

While this did halt the German advance, it also secured the flanks in that area and just helped promote Trench Warfare. :v:

And yeah, crashes in this game where you just end up smacking the ground and not exploding are the best. Explosions are pretty rare, really, though fires often start.

Have some plane :gibs:

My first ever crash landing, engine shot out over enemies lines, managed to glide across flooded no man's land and crashed just short of friendly lines after I stalled out trying to avoid some dead trees. I survived with only a brief hospital stay

The fatal end of my first RAF career. Got my Sopwith Pup into an unrecoverable flatspin at low altitude.

Not me (I think) but just a dead Alb D.3

The end of my most successful German Career to date, low-altitude mid-air collision with a Nieuport 17 (he can be seen in the background)

Also, can I request our next career be on the West Front map? The Channel map is beautiful, of course, but unfortunately it lacks the seasonal variety of the Western Front map. Fighting over snowy No Man's land is kind neat (its not very snowy though, thanks to the constant earth-churning artillery bombardments).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 11, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Nah, it was a smaller game without the Microsoft brand. It was an early example of free-to-play, being able to download a demo version with only a few planes and I think only a limited number of AI battles. I remember that PC Gamer's demo discs once had a download for it.

Jane's Combat Simulator is the only other thing I can think of that would have Combat in the name.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

(and I'm starting to feel like a nag, sorry :shobon:)

Not at all! On the contrary, I'll quote you in the update so that people know. :D

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, can I request our next career be on the West Front map? The Channel map is beautiful, of course, but unfortunately it lacks the seasonal variety of the Western Front map. Fighting over snowy No Man's land is kind neat (its not very snowy though, thanks to the constant earth-churning artillery bombardments).

I'm afraid that'll depend on how the voting goes. If we end up with German Strategic Bombers :negative: we'll still be on the Channel map, I think. The same goes for seaplanes (obviously :v:), but anything else and I'm sure there'll be a representation on the original Western Front map.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, I finally caught the bug again. Currently downloading a shitton of historical skins for usin PWCG. :smithicide:

I'm not even sure what kind of career I'll play!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not even sure what kind of career I'll play!

ALL THE CAREERS!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, maybe I'll play in one of these Jasta I'm downloading skinpacks for. That is right, a skinpack for a single squadron, so PWCG emulate the fact WW1 pilots loved personalizing their planes. :stare:

Speaking of personalized planes, wonder how this guy felt 25 years later. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, maybe I'll play in one of these Jasta I'm downloading skinpacks for. That is right, a skinpack for a single squadron, so PWCG emulate the fact WW1 pilots loved personalizing their planes. :stare:

Speaking of personalized planes, wonder how this guy felt 25 years later. :v:

I was wondering that exact thing, except about the German Albatros squadron with the Star of David emblazoned on the side of their aircraft. I wonder if they ever met on the battlefield? :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Swastika was a sign of luck and prosperity and it was common for World War 1 pilots to have/use them. That's how Finland came to use the swastika as their national air force's symbol, from the first plane gifted to them carrying that particular good luck charm.

And the Germans loved camouflage and colour patterns even more in WW2.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, its just kinda funny (if a bit sad) in hindsight. And yeah, German Camo is always fun, I really love those smooshed/lopsided hex patterns they used a lot in WW1.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, its just kinda funny (if a bit sad) in hindsight. And yeah, German Camo is always fun, I really love those smooshed/lopsided hex patterns they used a lot in WW1.

Right. The same applies to firearms too, as there are known examples of German K98k's with nazi stamps getting Star of David stamps next to them.

The hex patterns were cool, if sometimes a little gaudy with the colors they chose.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's what I loved about Red Baron 3D - getting a high enough rank to smoosh together different combinations of other people's planes to get a hideous looking custom aircraft.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Actually it wasn't too hard to edit in a custom skin using MS paint in that game.

Anyways, finished downloading all those skinpacks, the folder I put them in weighs in at 11.5 GB. My whole RoF folder is 28.8 :smithicide:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Jobbo_Fett posted:

And the Germans loved camouflage and colour patterns even more in WW2.

I suppose it helps that the main boss man of the Luftwaffe was Goering.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

pixelbaron posted:

I suppose it helps that the main boss man of the Luftwaffe was Goering.

I assumed that it had nothing to do with Goering. I mean, just look at the variety of camouflage patterns that many different squadrons employed (even going so far as disobeying direct orders to keep certain patterns). And that doesn't even include the incredible amount of AFV camouflage they developed.

Besides, Goering was such a tryhard that couldn't get enough of Hitler's only testicle it made Eva Braun look like Catholic nun.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Since we're almost done voting, I'd like to add a request for Squadron Name suggestions. We need a name that's appropriately spergy stupid heroic to fly under.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh yeah, I still got it. :smug:

One (you should really watch this one)
Two
Three (I usually avoid firing this far away, but the Nieuport was outrunning me)

That said, I nearly pulled a Hartmann on the first kill (seriously watch the webm). Much like Bubi, I am not a great shot, so I get so close I can't help but hit. :v:

The excessive HDR Bloom in this game bugs me sometimes.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Endman posted:

Since we're almost done voting, I'd like to add a request for Squadron Name suggestions. We need a name that's appropriately spergy stupid heroic to fly under.

Spare Chutes
Wings of Buffalo
Red Dewdrops
Flying Coffins
Chunks Away
The #3299CC Angels
Rickety Shits
Not Superman

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The Flaming Lawn Darts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No. 69 Squadron (Goonian) - British
Jasta 42 (Lazy Fokkers) - German
Escadrille 22 (Les Quebecois) - French

pixelbaron posted:

The ROYAL Flaming Lawn Darts

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One (you should really watch this one)
Two
Three (I usually avoid firing this far away, but the Nieuport was outrunning me)

I should start making gifs...

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 12, 2014

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Fresh Meat

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Lazy Looping Jasta Kites (if we're German)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Hartmann's Bane

• Locked thread