Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I wonder why Christopher Lloyd was such a holdout on the likeness rights. Perhaps his asking price was too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I went in for 10 bucks because I got kids to feed but I'm pretty excited. I hope it goes through.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tato posted:

I wonder why Christopher Lloyd was such a holdout on the likeness rights. Perhaps his asking price was too high.

Maybe he hates pinball or Addams Family. Possibly both.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

prefect posted:

Ooh, fifty bucks for pinballs that alter physics?! :wth:

Alter how? Like balls that pass through objects and through the sides of cabinets?

(Honest reaction regardless of what that even means.... gimme gimme gimme. In for $50.)

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tony Phillips posted:

Alter how? Like balls that pass through objects and through the sides of cabinets?

(Honest reaction regardless of what that even means.... gimme gimme gimme. In for $50.)

I'd guess it probably just changes ball weight for physics calculations since that's the easiest thing to change. I'm just guessing though.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Since it's for The Addams Family it might just enable "The Power" magnets on for all games.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So it was easier to get Raul Julia than Llyod and Pugsly?!

A plague upon their houses :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does this mean the Dracula table is out now?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So it was easier to get Raul Julia than Llyod and Pugsly?!

A plague upon their houses :argh:

They probably both just need the money, and Raul Julia is dead so... probably not-so-much.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

King Vidiot posted:

They probably both just need the money, and Raul Julia is dead so... probably not-so-much.

Christopher Lloyd has done a lot of acting work; he can't need the money unless he got ripped off at some point.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Does this mean the Dracula table is out now?

That or...

It just came out. Didn't see that coming at all.

Edit - only played it in the wild once so I have no idea what the Hell I'm doing, but quick reaction - fun table. Pretty fast paced with lots of shots to hit. Great video mode and lots of multiballs. God bless release day and the ability to (briefly) crack the top 10 as well.

Edit2 - Right before noticing that it was out I was messing around in Big Shot and broke 400K. New table and a new high score? A good day.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 13, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Farsight posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula™ has just been released for Steam (Mac/Windows), Google Play, Amazon and Ouya!

The iOS version will be delayed due to a sudden spike in review time at Apple. We expect to be approved in the next few days! We Apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Son of a BITCH :suicide:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tony Phillips posted:

Since it's 'spooky' I assume it'll be like 'ghooooost ball, it's super light' or like, Lurch ball, it's really heavy. I doubt they're gonna go too crazy, maybe a ball more prone to bouncing and poo poo?

I'm also in for 50 regardless, Addams Family is my favorite machine and I can't wait to play it again considering the loving detail these guys go for.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I was mostly just going for the poo poo joke that their balls already defy physics regularly. I assume you're right though. Super heavy ball, super light ball, something along those lines.

Never even been that huge of a TAF fan, but I do want to see it done. I'm at 356 hours of TPA and counting. Adding an extra $50 onto what I've spent still puts me at an absolute bargain for what I've gotten out of it.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

The $100 level gets you the Gold Edition. God dammit.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Werthog 95 posted:

That's kinda dickish, since I'm pretty sure the Gold ROM is objectively superior to the regular ROM. The Gold ROM should be standard.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

King Vidiot posted:

Ah, you haven't heard the rumors. It was believed that Raul Julia stipulated in his will that his likeness could never be used commercially again. It was also believed that his widow was also against it.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 13, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Werthog 95 posted:

Was there an actual gold edition? Kind of funny if there wasn't and they just color things gold for the bling factor.

I threw $100 at it, but am kind of tempted to do more. I live close enough to do the top level perk. My Mom is really into pinball and would love the trip to see all their stuff. Someone tell me it's a bad idea quick.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Was there an actual gold edition? Kind of funny if there wasn't and they just color things gold for the bling factor.

There definitely was.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=21

Never heard of it playing any differently though. Someone with more knowledge please post.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tony Phillips posted:

Never heard of it playing any differently though. Someone with more knowledge please post.

Gameplay differences are ROM only. Quoting from the rulesheet at IPDB:

quote:

Edition Differences

Most people are more than likely familiar with the original version of TAF. In the interest of completeness, though, this will be a guide to the entire game. This section briefly describes the differences between the old TAF and TAFG.

Cousin It's Hideout
Some rooms in the mansion (it's always random) contain belongings of Cousin It. Depending on what you find, you are given an award of some sort. For full details, see the section following the Mansion description.

Super Seance
There seems to be about a 50% chance than any given time you shoot the Seance Mansion award, you will get a Super Seance instead. See the description in the Mansion section.

3M
The 3M and 6M awards are NOT attached any more. However, the 3M will give you another room. See the 3M under the Mansion secion.

Multiball
A couples changes in Multiball rules: The starting jackpot for Multiball now varies, and Dirty Pool during Multiball will award a Super Jackpot and leave it lit. See the Multiball section.

Locked balls
Any balls that were locked for Multiball are kicked out of the Swamp automatically at the end of the game now. It is adjustable, but this is the default behavior.

Extra ball buyin
There is one on TAFG. It can be set to allow anywhere from 0-99 buyins, and it doesn't matter how many you use because you'll be able to get on the high score chart regardless.

Quotes
There's a load of new quotes in TAFG. Some are more understandable than others, though. They don't have any impact on gameplay, it's just that some of them are pretty cool. :)

There may be other things that differ that we don't know about yet. Also, some things have not yet been accomplished on TAFG. In these cases, the limits set forth in TAF (which have been well documented) will be used. For example, I have not gotten to the maximum value of the Graveyard yet, but in TAF it was 4M. Therefore, I assume that the maximum is 4M for TAFG as well. Should anything ever be found to be different, you can bet that it'll be changed in this guide.

It's not a lot, but it's still a superior version.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wow I am kind of glad I backed the $100 tier. I am really thinking about the top tier thing though.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
FWIW, I've played a fair amount of TAF Gold (a few of the addams here in Chicago have the roms loaded up) and its no big deal. The Cousin It bonuses are neat, and some of the extra stuff is cool, but you're not missing too much if you just get Addams Standard.

Meanwhile, folks on the Pinball Arcade forums have deduced from the email clue that the next game is Data East's Phantom of the Opera. It's a funky decent early DE game with good music. It'll be a good Halloween game, especially paired up with Drac.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Clouseau posted:

Meanwhile, folks on the Pinball Arcade forums have deduced from the email clue that the next game is Data East's Phantom of the Opera.

gently caress yes. every so often I'll make the two-hour trip to Alameda's Pacific Pinball Museum where I have an annual pass. There's three tables I usually concentrate on: Phantom, TAF and Red & Ted. Two of these in successive months will be great news! And good to know they've cracked Data East as well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It would have been nice to make the Gold at something a little less. I'm in for $25.

I hope the start doing some DE tables. Would love Tales from the Crypt and Last Action Hero. New Stern machines would be my dream but I'd settle for some of those.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Clouseau posted:

FWIW, I've played a fair amount of TAF Gold (a few of the addams here in Chicago have the roms loaded up) and its no big deal. The Cousin It bonuses are neat, and some of the extra stuff is cool, but you're not missing too much if you just get Addams Standard.

Meanwhile, folks on the Pinball Arcade forums have deduced from the email clue that the next game is Data East's Phantom of the Opera. It's a funky decent early DE game with good music. It'll be a good Halloween game, especially paired up with Drac.

Is that the first DE they'd have done? Check of a solid start if it is.

As for TAF gold I'm bummed it's so high too but really there's not a ton of difference. It kinda sucks but I'm not losing sleep over it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
If they've finally got Data East, I wonder if they could wrangle Super Bros Bros. if they made it a WiiU exclusive. That'd cost them sales, though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought all the Mario games were late Gottliebs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Luigi Thirty posted:

I thought all the Mario games were late Gottliebs.

Yeah, as far as I can remember, both Mario tables were Premiers.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, as far as I can remember, both Mario tables were Premiers.

Yeah, and I just didn't like what I played of it back at California Extreme ("clearing" all the castles). Maybe it was just that a sensor was very worn from use, or maybe it was just bullshit.

The smaller kid-sized table, Mushroom World felt more fun despite being very simple and such. Although, I'm not a rules expert or anything. So, for all I know, the main SMB table could actually have a good rule set that I just didn't understand when I played it.

I think I actually made a post here about that table after last year's CAX (2013)...yep, found it. Cut out everything that wasn't related to the SMB Table.

Volfogg posted:

- All the Gottlieb Tables I played today were wonky as hell. While I really only played two of 'em, they were odd. The "classic" Street Fighter II table was just...weird. Weird skill shot, what I think is odd placement for main shots, and ramps that seem to require more power than you can get on a controlled ball (or maybe it's just that I still kinda suck at aiming and lining up shots). The other table was the Super Mario World Bros. table (It's totally a Super Mario World table). Word to the wise, unless it's in PERFECT condition (and maybe even then), the table is just not very fun and is just plain annoying with certain things. The Castle shot itself doesn't seem too hard, think the Kickback Relight on Banzai Run (shoot for a trigger hole between some Pop Bumpers), but being able to progress the main goal is the real pain. You're supposed to spell out SUPER and then make the Castle Shot, repeat 7 times to "win". The problem comes with how you advance the SUPER lights. There's one major ramp, the Yoshi Ramp, that leads to a Pseudo-Upper Playfield where you can either Relight the Kickback (and go back to the Left Flipper), a Yoshi Bonus and the Advance Super "ramp" that takes you back to the right flipper. I believe that on a normal, well maintained table, this should advance it every time you effectively loop it. On THIS table though, it triggered probably every one in seven or eight times. Not to mention that there's a second way to advance the SUPER lights, but it doesn't seem to have consistency either. As is standard though, if you drain the ball before making the shot, you lose your chance and need to spell SUPER out again. On a machine like the one I played, it is a NIGHTMARE. The other real annoying thing is that one of the bonuses is grabbing a Starman and becoming Invincible. I don't actually know what bonus it gives, but what it DOES DO is effectively strobe three BRIGHT rear end WHITE LIGHTS OVER AND OVER until it stops. They're so bright that standing about two WIDEBODY widths away, playing another table, you can still notice it. After spending more time with this table than I thought I would (and actually "beating" the game through repeated "continue" abuse because gently caress trying to trigger seven successful SUPER Castle Shots in three balls on what does seem to be a well worn out machine), I never want to play it again. If I want to play a Mario Pinball table, I'll stick with the other, smaller, what seems to be a kids table, Mushroom World table. That one is, while simple and loopable with basic shots, kinda fun for what it is. SMB is/was just an exercise in frustration.

(Wow. More :words: than I thought that would be for the Super Mario Bros. table)

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 13, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yeah, a lot of Premiers were not very fun. Some were though like Nightmare on Elm Street. And I always had a soft spot for Street Fighter II.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I loving love Frank Thomas' Big Hurt, and it's probably one of the few Premiers I actually like. That big-rear end ramp is sweet as hell.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Addams Family Gold is not any more fun than the regular table. The noticeable differences are really just things that inflate your scores like Cousin It's Hideout. There's also the extra ball buy in that I don't really care about.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That's the first Data East table right?

So there is hope for Robocop.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Regarding Data East, they've always had the license for DE games it's just that most DE games are licensed (POTO isn't). I don't think they had the emulation ready for them either. According to the TPA forums, Farsight was just able to get a bulk licensing deal from Sony, so season four looks like it will definitely start to pick up some with DE/Sega games. Here's what it looks like that'd potentially net them:

Pinball Arcade Fans posted:

Independence day
Last Action hero
Mary Shelley Frankenstein
Johnny Mnemonic
Close Encounters
Godzilla
Robocop
Starship Troopers
Goldeneye
Hook

I doubt that Goldeneye is possible given how expensive Bond is, but Starship Troopers is a real treat - one of the few gems of the Sega games. Robocop is really fun, and Last Action Hero is a blast too (supposing they get Arnie - but I don't think they use his voice, just an enormous picture of his face on the backglass - which Farsight has now said they're fine removing). Johnny Mnemonic is a good time as well.

As an aside, Spiderman is a Sony property too, but Spiderman is a SAM game which is too difficult for mobile phones to emulate, and they might have to also go through Disney which would make it impossible to get.

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 13, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I would totally buy Johnny Mnemonic. "What are you doing?" "I'm making a long-distance phone call." *dialing noise*

Also the loving data glove is so cool.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Clouseau posted:

and Last Action Hero is a blast too (supposing they get Arnie - but I don't think they use his voice, just an enormous picture of his face on the backglass - which Farsight has now said they're fine removing).

"To be, or not to be." "And Hamlet is TAKING OUT THE TRASH!" "....not to be."

I'd never played a Last Action Hero until a few years back and was surprised by just how fun it was. Definitely seemed like one of the best DE/Sega tables.

It may be unlikely but I'd love to see Batman Forever someday - it was one of my favorite tables to play at Ground Kontrol but they got rid of it a few years ago. It was good fun and that Two-Face HEH HEH HEH HEH laugh would always crack up me and one of my friends. The Mystery bonus that raises your end-of-ball bonus to a whopping 20X though, that was way too good...

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Holy moly BSD is fun. I'm really glad they stopped toning down the table difficulty as much lately. It's still a far cry from how brutal the actual machine is, but it's really drainy and I like it. Chasing the various multiballs around the playfield is a real treat. This easily goes into my top 5 TPA tables.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Clouseau posted:

This is going to be the first one on the new season right? This table has a special place in my family. Growing up Phantom and TAF were our two favorite tables and we would go to the mini golf place and play a couple times a month. Now that us kids are older, we actually got our parents a Phantom table (was half the price of a TAF). The back glass is really cool. The way the phantom and mask are lot. It's not a complex table but it's fun. Between Phantom and TAF I should be set for nostalgia.

The music is really good, as is the scream NnnnnnNnNnnnoooOOOOOooooooOOOOOOoooooo

Edit: "Shoot the Catwalk"

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yes - the next game is the start of the fourth season. Looking back, the third season was very strong. The first season will likely always be the best given how front loaded it was with beloved classics, but they pulled out a lot of great games this time around.

Also - I got 6 billion on Drac. I'm going to enjoy the warm glow of being in the top 10 scores for a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Clouseau posted:

Also - I got 6 billion on Drac. I'm going to enjoy the warm glow of being in the top 10 scores for a day.

It's so fleeting. Went to bed in 8th. Woke up in 35th.