Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm so close to buying the Nightingale but it's like 100 bucks with shipping and uses the emotion manipulators which are two great reasons to not buy it right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

I'm so close to buying the Nightingale but it's like 100 bucks with shipping and uses the emotion manipulators which are two great reasons to not buy it right now

Yeah, I was turned off when I realized that it had the emotion manipulators as well, especially after building the Sazabi ver. Ka. I mean, getting the Ver. Ka to hold its weapons was a pain in the rear end of enough, I can't imagine how fun it'd be with that MASSIVE rifle the Nightingale carries.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Just get some of that sticky tacky picture holdy stuff. Holds up big guns for big bots and relatively simple to get off when you are done (might not be friendly with paint). put some in the grip and if it's got a longer stock you can tack the gun to the forearm.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 16, 2014

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Just pose it with the gun up like it's about to get into some serious poo poo like everyone else does because those loving wrist joints are horrendous.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I have an MG action base, and aside from using it to prop up the Sazabi, (three legs are better than two) is there any feasible way to balance this thing in any sort of fantastic action pose? I have the Nu, and would really like to put these two together on the shelf with a neat space print diorama background.

It just seems like the clip that goes into the back only goes there, and can't really be tilted at all otherwise you're pushing that ginormous skirt around. hrm.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Put it on the AB so that you can tilt it left and right, not up and down. Presto.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
What I've considered doing is just drilling a hole with a pin vise from the polycap wrist socket into the ball joint of the manipulator. It'll kill any kind of lateral motion, but should still keep some rotation while reinforcing the wrist itself. The major problem is there are TWO ball joints on the emotion manipulators, not just where it pegs into the wrist socket, but a second, much smaller one that acts as the hand's forward/backward motion. Then of course I'm pretty much stuck with keeping the kit in a single pose with the same accessories, but I guess you can't have everything. It's a model kit and not a toy after all. This is why I prefer to collect toys incidentally.

Sticky tack could be an option. I may still have some from when I was using it to hold smaller pieces to dowels back when I airbrushed. The hands hang onto the weapons fine, but it's ultimately the wrists that are the weak link, so I'd definitely have to use the tack on the forearms.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 16, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Mecha Gojira posted:

What I've considered doing is just drilling a hole with a pin vise from the polycap wrist socket into the ball joint of the manipulator. It'll kill any kind of lateral motion, but should still keep some rotation while reinforcing the wrist itself. The major problem is there are TWO ball joints on the emotion manipulators, not just where it pegs into the wrist socket, but a second, much smaller one that acts as the hand's forward/backward motion. Then of course I'm pretty much stuck with keeping the kit in a single pose with the same accessories, but I guess you can't have everything. It's a model kit and not a toy after all. This is why I prefer to collect toys incidentally.

Sticky tack could be an option. I may still have some from when I was using it to hold smaller pieces to dowels back when I airbrushed. The hands hang onto the weapons fine, but it's ultimately the wrists that are the weak link, so I'd definitely have to use the tack on the forearms.

I'm kinda surprised they don't have like a push in->lock for the wrists by now. I mean it would wear down with time but it'd work for the most part I'd think.

Rambro
May 1, 2008
I ordered the extra weapons set for the RX-78-2 from GG Infinite and got it in the mail today. The LED unit is missing. I sent them an email about it, but this is my first time with a missing part like this. Am I going to order a replacement from another site?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Has anybody built a G-Saviour? I'd like to do a scale comparison to see which parts I can swap out for modern counterparts.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

John Carstairs posted:

Just in case it wasn't clear, she isn't joking about this one:

Does that work only with the AGE kits or have I been missing out on HG Gundam Kit/ Figma body swaps this whole time?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Revolver Bunker posted:

Does that work only with the AGE kits or have I been missing out on HG Gundam Kit/ Figma body swaps this whole time?

AGE kits are special or those arent figmas. The other option is that they dont actually fit and its extremely loose in the picture I just tested several figmas and HG and the joints do not match. Nendoroids and HGs are close enough.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 16, 2014

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Rambro posted:

I ordered the extra weapons set for the RX-78-2 from GG Infinite and got it in the mail today. The LED unit is missing. I sent them an email about it, but this is my first time with a missing part like this. Am I going to order a replacement from another site?

Keep on him. Call if you have to. You're owed the part or a refund, full stop.

Sad to say, GG is gaining a reputation for being somewhat sketchy. Glad for his website but I'm disinclined to actually buy anything from him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Has anybody built a G-Saviour? I'd like to do a scale comparison to see which parts I can swap out for modern counterparts.

From what I remember from that one time I messed around with a friend's, it's about the size of the mkII.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Fauxtool posted:

AGE kits are special or those arent figmas. The other option is that they dont actually fit and its extremely loose in the picture I just tested several figmas and HG and the joints do not match. Nendoroids and HGs are close enough.

Not owning a single Figma, I haven't tried it myself, but I guess it must be the first option:

That Sign posted:

For some reason, recently, these products have been selling as a set!!
Figma Madoka Kaname & HG Gundam Age-1 Titus

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys what's up, you got any kits waiting to be built? Oh that's cool I only have one it's this:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dude, with how hard and fast you're going in, you're either obscenely rich or driving yourself into debt. And possibly in the midst of a spiral into burnout.

(I can't wait to see the photos. :allears:)

muike posted:

I've wanted it for so long, and Amazon gets it in the exact day I get my paycheck, so I'm totally gonna go in on it, emotion manipulators be damned. I'm just not sure if I'm comfortable enough with painting yet, or if I can find a Tamiya rattlecan in the right color at the very least.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burn outs suck, yeah. Especially when you look at your backlog and go "Wow. I have... a lot of its".

In other news, been working on the Turn A still. Every time I think I'm ready to flat coat it, I look again and I realize "wait! I need to touch up this detailing, clean up here a little, and I guess this part could use some work" over and over and over.

Help

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

S-Alpha posted:

Dude, with how hard and fast you're going in, you're either obscenely rich or driving yourself into debt. And possibly in the midst of a spiral into burnout.

It's neither, I just don't have a lot of expenses beyond rent, utilities, and food, so I can afford to splurge once a year and get something big. The regular kits are actually worked into my budget.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

After fiddling around with trying to get Nu vKa into a somewhat dynamic pose after finally applying its decals, I've come to realize that all of my lead UC Gundam MGs (3.0, Z 2.0, FA ZZ, Nu vKa, FA Unicorn plan B when I finish that never) are pretty much display pieces I can't really play with.

Good thing I've got my X and Exia RII WIPs to mess around with. wow that photo looks like crap

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh man, I wasn't particularly pleased with the Tamiya silver leaf I used on my test paint of my current project, so I went around looking for other options and I came across this:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/kc/killerchrome.htm

Assuming I prime properly, is this okay to use on a kit? I think it might just be perfect for one of my nebulous unicorn recolor projects.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

S-Alpha posted:

Oh man, I wasn't particularly pleased with the Tamiya silver leaf I used on my test paint of my current project, so I went around looking for other options and I came across this:

Assuming I prime properly, is this okay to use on a kit? I think it might just be perfect for one of my nebulous unicorn recolor projects.

I don't know about rattle cans, but I had pretty great results using Alclad Chrome with an airbrush. It requires primer and a black enamel base coat, but it looks fantastic as an end-result. Smooth finish instead of that flaky look you get with metallic paints otherwise. Throw on a candy transparent color coat on top and it looks fantastic.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, the thing is, I currently live in an apartment, and I'm not allowed to run an air compressor in here. I am allowed to use rattlecans though, so long as I hang the parts out the window while I'm spraying them and have them close to a ventilation fan while curing. So airbrushing is kind of out of the question at the moment.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

S-Alpha posted:

Well, the thing is, I currently live in an apartment, and I'm not allowed to run an air compressor in here. I am allowed to use rattlecans though, so long as I hang the parts out the window while I'm spraying them and have them close to a ventilation fan while curing. So airbrushing is kind of out of the question at the moment.

Ah, I see. Well, you can always get a can and test it yourself. Grab a scrap piece of plastic like an old sprue and try it out. I'd highly recommend the primer and gloss black enamel base coat steps before hand, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, it's a three can system they sell as a bundle, with a black glass undercoat, the actual chrome layer, and a topcoat.

I'm thinking I may just give it a try, I really like the finished product demos they have.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I was kinda feeling the burnout when I had a backlog of 10ish but I just buckled down and now im down to 4, 2 of which are sd. Opening some of the kits and finding out that some of them weren't so complicated (hello zogok unicorn and the build fighters gundam full package) helped to prioritize, sense of accomplishment for finishing one etc.

Not going to let the backlog get that high again unless its a big sale or i hit a con.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

S-Alpha posted:

It's sort of hideously expensive for spray cans. I mean $40 a pop and $130 for the set? It better drat well be flawless looking.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Spent an hour or two on it this morning before work, here's where we are now:

When I get home tonight I'll work on the Sinanju some more.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

You can get a tank and fill it off site. No compressor required.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

I remember some dude doing a comparison of a few chrome paints albeit for car models. I think the general consensus was that the money you pay for killer chrome didn't really make it worth it. I guess if you have no choice you could shell out the money, but for a few bucks more you could probably get an AB setup + tank with that and just spray outside

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

I don't know about rattle cans, but I had pretty great results using Alclad Chrome with an airbrush. It requires primer and a black enamel base coat, but it looks fantastic as an end-result. Smooth finish instead of that flaky look you get with metallic paints otherwise. Throw on a candy transparent color coat on top and it looks fantastic.

Huh I've always used tamiya gloss acrylic and it's always worked well for me when it comes to alclad stuff.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Literally The Worst posted:

Spent an hour or two on it this morning before work, here's where we are now:

When I get home tonight I'll work on the Sinanju some more.

One thing I've always wondered actually: do they straight up give you a HG Sinanju to jam into that thing? Because what a deal! :downs:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Monaghan posted:

Huh I've always used tamiya gloss acrylic and it's always worked well for me when it comes to alclad stuff.

Oh, really? Because on their website and on the bottle it recommends gloss black enamel. That might be worth looking into because god I hate working with enamels, especially cleaning up after them.

And Mordja: Yeah, it straight-up comes with the HGUC Sinanju as well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mecha Gojira posted:

Oh, really? Because on their website and on the bottle it recommends gloss black enamel. That might be worth looking into because god I hate working with enamels, especially cleaning up after them.

And Mordja: Yeah, it straight-up comes with the HGUC Sinanju as well.

I remember getting good results it's been a while. I'm doing it again with the nu ve ka I'll post my results.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mordja posted:

One thing I've always wondered actually: do they straight up give you a HG Sinanju to jam into that thing? Because what a deal! :downs:

Yeah that is actually part of the kit. They actually start labeling the runners for the NZ itself after the ones for the Sinanju.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Wait seriously?

The only HG I have is the unicorn and I thought it would be neat to get the NZ and sinaju at some point and just have those three as a set. What's missing from the NZ sinaju pack-in?

(what's the going price USD for a NZ anyway. My local shop has it for like 270)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're all forgetting that an HG in Japan goes for about $10-15 instead of the $20-40 we pay. A free Sinanju's nothing after the price paid on the NZ.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

The only HG I have is the unicorn and I thought it would be neat to get the NZ and sinaju at some point and just have those three as a set. What's missing from the NZ sinaju pack-in?

Nothing. Hell, you actually get a little extra what with the bazookas.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's just kinda neat, I totally assumed they'd make you foot the bill for your big plastic monster puppeteer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

It's just kinda neat, I totally assumed they'd make you foot the bill for your big plastic monster puppeteer as well.

I still can't picture anything but the Sinanju's arms frantically working a bunch of 19th-century steampunk levers and pulleys behind those arm covers, just trying to keep the drat thing flying level :allears:.

• Locked thread