Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is the same people who want to put this statue in or near the oklahoma state capitol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why's every religion gotta keep making kids for their statues when they need a crowd to lovingly stand around whatever they're worshiping?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ashgromnies posted:

these guys aren't laveyan satanists, they're general millenial liberal atheists that embrace satan for the absurdity.

the different satanic temples are all feuding now because these guys have been getting so much press, and the older ones are like "wahh these guys aren't actually satanists" but whatever these guys are funny i like them and laveyan satanism is just objectivism so gently caress that anyways http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/archives/2014/09/16/rival-satanic-factions-feud-in-detroit

hail satan.

Weird they'd have an image of lavey in the children's book, then.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 17, 2014

naem
May 29, 2011

Christmas Miracle posted:

this is the same people who want to put this statue in or near the oklahoma state capitol

Fun fact- baphomet, the goat man guy, not a real thing.

The crusaders we afraid Muslims would try to convert them, heard their god was called bo-ham-hat or something, and invented a goat man to practice "pretending to worship" to avoid converting.

Like slenderman, their pretend bs scared them and some started actually worshiping slenderman. I mean goat man.

So if you're going to be evil at least get it right.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

that thing is pretty poorly sculpted. it looks like someone draped cellulite ridden skin all over it

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Like that's the first time satan worship led to bad art

Guancho
Aug 23, 2010

You don't write any postcards when you're on the road to self-discovery
rear end homie

Guancho fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 17, 2014

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

a hole-y ghost posted:

that thing is pretty poorly sculpted. it looks like someone draped cellulite ridden skin all over it

pretty sure its unfinished so they haven't sanded/detailed it yet

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Some more fun is coming out of this. In Orange County, Florida, the school district decided to allow christian groups to pass out religious materials. They originally wanted to prohibit other groups from distributing materials, but that got shot down by a judge who pointed out that it would be a pretty clear and damning violation of the First Amendment to do so. So the district relented and decided to allow other religious groups to pass out stuff, I guess assuming that none of them were close by or willing to take the time to pass out stuff.

The Satanic Temple made this book for this very purpose. Now all the kids in Orange County, Florida will be getting their very own Satanic Coloring book. I wonder what the parents will do.

Link to one story.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

naem posted:

Fun fact- baphomet, the goat man guy, not a real thing.

The crusaders we afraid Muslims would try to convert them, heard their god was called bo-ham-hat or something, and invented a goat man to practice "pretending to worship" to avoid converting.

Like slenderman, their pretend bs scared them and some started actually worshiping slenderman. I mean goat man.

i don't think the point is to worship the most historically accurate version of satan.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

by calling themselves a religion they get permission to do the same things any other religion, including christianity, can do. this includes putting statues glorifying their deity on public property with other religious monuments and handing out printed materials to children. if you make a law prohibiting the satanic temple from doing these things you're also making a law preventing any church from doing that thing.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Putty posted:

ah poo poo he put the text below what i wasnt supposed to look at looks like this is the end for me *poof*

:rip: putty you have died as you lived: gay

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I'm assuming these folks don't actually believe in the existence of the necronomicon, which kind of raises some questions about what they do believe

so I wikipediad it and it's kind of cute

quote:

The Satanic Temple, based in New York, represents a variety of Satanism that uses the literary Satan as a mythological foundation for a non-supernatural religion,[45] which it believes can be used to construct a cultural narrative that can usefully contextualize life experiences and promote pragmatic skepticism, rational reciprocity, personal autonomy, and curiosity.
like if they were theistic satanists that'd be funny, and I'd probably make fun of laveyan satanists as well, but this basically just sounds like using satan as a cultural reference point as loose guidelines for a healthy rationalist lifestyle, and the pop-culture stuff is just symbolism and window dressing. tenuous approval, satan trolls.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzUTRAUac4

naem
May 29, 2011

Cubone posted:

I'm assuming these folks don't actually believe in the existence of the necronomicon, which kind of raises some questions about what they do believe

so I wikipediad it and it's kind of cute

like if they were theistic satanists that'd be funny, and I'd probably make fun of laveyan satanists as well, but this basically just sounds like using satan as a cultural reference point as loose guidelines for a healthy rationalist lifestyle, and the pop-culture stuff is just symbolism and window dressing. tenuous approval, satan trolls.

I'm an almost non-theistic Christian I'm
pretty sure, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middlLIGHTNING BOLT TO THE NECK

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This is an appalling travesty.

Cerberus had three heads, drat it. :colbert:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i mean in the book, cerberus is in there dude
never mind then, carry on

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

naem posted:

Don't look at the last one directly or you'll combust

richard hammond?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

naem posted:

A reminder that according to the bible this is what angels actually look like, the good guys are just as terrifying

Don't look at the last one directly or you'll combust
Seems Lovecraftian to me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Negative Entropy posted:

Seems Lovecraftian to me.

Oh come on. I fail to see anything squamous, Cyclopean or rugose in those images.

naem
May 29, 2011

I took a bunch of nyquil and drank a couple beers to fall asleep one day and I'm pretty sure I had a conversation with one of those

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
angels are hunks with wings you dumbies

naem
May 29, 2011

Cubone posted:

angels are hunks with wings you dumbies

Nope sorry. That was made up completely by artists. Angels are described specifically several times in scripture and like, holy poo poo.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

the cherub w the "ever-turning sword" in the Garden of Eden too what was up w that

naem
May 29, 2011

a hole-y ghost posted:

the cherub w the "ever-turning sword" in the Garden of Eden too what was up w that

That was the original gtfo

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

what i wonder is which way does the sword turn? is it like a chainsaw or can the angel spin it by its point like a sick b- ball??

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the satanic temple has some cool swag for sale too

shopsatan dot com for all your satan needs

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
As far as I can tell this isn't real satanism™ they talk about the Necronomicon which is a fictional book that Laveyan satanists don't even pretend exists.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lol get owned Christians you spoiled gently caress ups

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I unironically love The Satanic Temple. Church of Satan is an objectivist rear end in a top hat religion laced with mysticism and majycks. The Satanic Temple is a rational atheist club trolling bigots of all religions, including satanists.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Nathilus posted:

As far as I can tell this isn't real satanism™ they talk about the Necronomicon which is a fictional book that Laveyan satanists don't even pretend exists.

it's just a more deliberately confrontational and offensive school of militant atheism and as long as they're commissioning baphomet statues for city hall and distributing satanic coloring books to schoolchildren they have my full support

Previously, they performed a "pink mass" over Fred Phelps' mother's grave, posthumously turning her gay and they have promised to do the same to Fred when he passes:

quote:

The Satanic Temple exercised its own right to offensive Free Speech in our performance of the Pink Mass at Fred Phelps’s mother’s grave this past summer. After having two same-sex couples (one male, one female) engage in homoerotic activity at the grave site, we declared Fred Phelps’s mother a post-mortem homosexual conversion. At the time, I predicted that Fred hadn’t too much longer till he would pass, and I stated –- in a direct tweet to the WBC -– that I would be presiding over Fred’s own Pink Mass before too long. As I have made a promise to a dying man, I fully intend to do my very best to see it through, and the pomp and circumstance of this Pink Mass will surely far, far exceed that of the original event in Meridian, Mississippi.

IIRC the authorities in Missississippi tried and failed to find a crime to charge them with. The only people who take the satan bit seriously are christians, and it's hilarious. They do all this as "The Satanic Temple" to try to take advantage of the blank check for ridiculous expression (and presumably tax exemption) that christianity enjoys in america

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 17, 2014

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Helical Nightmares posted:

This is an appalling travesty.

Cerberus had three heads, drat it. :colbert:

Cerberus is an etymological joke.
It's got (disputed) roots in a Proto-Indo-Eurpean word "k̑érberos" which means "spotted."
Hades named his dog Spot.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Previously, they performed a "pink mass" over Fred Phelps' mother's grave, posthumously turning her gay and they have promised to do the same to Fred when he passes:

ok I was slightly critical but I take it back. This rules. Now I want a pink mass when I die. D'ya think homoerotic activity in the vicinity of my ashes would work just as well? Because I don't plan on going in the dirt.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Cerberus is an etymological joke.
It's got (disputed) roots in a Proto-Indo-Eurpean word "k̑érberos" which means "spotted."
Hades named his dog Spot.

I too read Skin Game. :colbert:

Cerberus deserves three heads.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

That's a pretty cool statue.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

naem posted:

Nope sorry. That was made up completely by artists. Angels are described specifically several times in scripture and like, holy poo poo.

wrong my aunt saw one on an airplane and it was a hunky man

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hi sattan

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

satan sucks and is gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

naem posted:

Yeah, worship, and make sacrifices to, moloch. Like our presidents and heads of industry do.

• Locked thread