Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Die Laughing posted:

Now write a TL;DR about what the jumpsuits color represents, and the sexual undertones of the neutrino wands, or else I won't believe you're the real SuperMechaGodzilla.

It seems like a minor detail, but then you watch the cartoon and, sure enough, the jumpsuits are different colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You shut your loving mouth.

To clarify, I wasn't hoping that Sony would go all George Lucas on the movie. But in Colorado there are at least 2-3 screenings of the movie every year, without fail in better venues or joined with really fun events. Having the "opportunity" to go to your regular Cinemark or AMC, pay $15 and sit by yourself in the theater seems really lame, and even moreso if that option is actually blocking the other fun venues.

The percentage Sony would have gotten from 10,000 Red Rocks tickets probably would have blown the earnings from the regular theaters in the metro area out of the water.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Not every state has fancy outdoor theaters. I'll take my AMC rerelease, thank you.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Ghostbusters, being 'new' in theaters, has a front page entry on Rottentomatoes. It has a 97% which is fitting. But it's not 100%. Which means there are negative reviews from the original release.

If you ever want to know what it's like to look into the mind of someone devoid of all joy and human spirit, here you go.

And I quote, "with all this going on, there is more attention to special effects than to humor." I bet hearing that song on the radio all summer just drove her up the loving wall.

Gonna go see it this week. Grainy transfer and all. And it will be glorious.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hhhat posted:

Ghostbusters, being 'new' in theaters, has a front page entry on Rottentomatoes. It has a 97% which is fitting. But it's not 100%. Which means there are negative reviews from the original release.

If you ever want to know what it's like to look into the mind of someone devoid of all joy and human spirit, here you go.

And I quote, "with all this going on, there is more attention to special effects than to humor." I bet hearing that song on the radio all summer just drove her up the loving wall.

Gonna go see it this week. Grainy transfer and all. And it will be glorious.

Jesus Christ. This is like those archived usenet postings from 1995 that say the Simpsons started going downhill in season 3.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jack Gladney posted:

Jesus Christ. This is like those archived usenet postings from 1995 that say the Simpsons started going downhill in season 3.

Awhile back somebody dug up usenet postings about how AD&D 2nd Edition had ruined Dungeons and Dragons forever. Nerds never change.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Just got back from seeing this and really enjoyed it. Sure, it was grainy, but I don't feel like it took away from it much. I was 2 when the original came out, so I was really excited to see my favorite movie in the theatre. Wasn't packed, but the crowd was good and picked up on all the deadpan delivery of ridiculous lines for the most part.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I wish my screening was packed, but at least the 6 other people watching it liked it.

That's what I get for seeing it at 12:15 in Vermont.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaIZvCDWAcQ

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love that all the onlookers respond to him with confusion and disgust.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

My three year old has been on a Ghostbusters kick, it's pretty neat. Watching it with her over and over has brought out a few things I didn't notice before, even after reading this thread. The scene where Tully gives the women the off brand Tylenol? Watch her reaction when he leaves the kitchen, she pops some then gags. I agree, the entire party is comedy gold.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Never noticed the gagging, but I do love the shout-out to Nova Scotia.

Also, Joe Medjuck is from a place about an hour from where I grew up. I love all the Canadian ties the film has.

Edit: I'm an idiot, he's actually from where I'm from! :allears:

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Jack Gladney posted:

I love that all the onlookers respond to him with confusion and disgust.

Not the guy on the bike. :3:

Yeah, this music video. I think it's so indicative of the hype GB2 had. Where GB1 was marketed so simply, GB2 was announced as this big event. GB1's music video makes fun of itself and its self-promotional silliness; GB2's music video congratulates itself and its movie and thinks it's so cool.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like you just described the two logos.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Aficionados--I have a question about Ghostbusters II. Why would the "No Ghost" logo on the Ecto-1A gesture the number two with its hand? The characters wouldn't know they were in a sequel. I once raised this point with my friend's brother, but he just didn't get it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's a peace sign. Associating long hairs with the forces of hell is just one more in a long list of hidden libertarian symbols littered throughout the Ghostbuster's franchise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

In-universe, it's based on Ray yelling 'We're back!' along with the general idea in the film's first 20 minutes that "man, ghostbusting just doesn't exist".

Also, on the Ecto-1 there's the "We're back" marquee.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I always figured it was meant to advertise the idea that the newly reformed Ghostbusters would be less destructive and more peaceful when taking care of ghosts, not like in the first movie. Then they are exactly as destructive as in the first movie so it works as a joke, albeit one that may only exist in my mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's no in-universe explanation, and it's stupid that it exists anywhere but the film's poster.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
There is a cut reference to the dumb logo in GBII during the bad commercial shown in the post courtroom scene montage. Ray has a line about them being back with two times the know-how and two times the firepower.

I mean its a stretch but at least someone was like "this is kinda dumb, whats an explanation?"

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

The peace sign was for the kids. Kids love peace, it's a proven fact.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Scroto Baggins posted:

Not as much as He-Man.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Scroto Baggins posted:

When I was in elementary school I remember a kid coming up to me and showing me a Ghostbusters 2 pin on which he had marked over one of the ghosts fingers with a black sharpie. "Look," he said. "He's flipping the bird."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

When I was in elementary school I remember a kid coming up to me and showing me a Ghostbusters 2 pin on which he had marked over one of the ghosts fingers with a black sharpie. "Look," he said. "He's flipping the bird."

Blasphemy.

Edit: Ghostbusters 2 will always have a special place in my heart. First film I ever saw in theatres, and it scared the poo poo out of me. I had the soundtrack and even entered a lip syncing contest in my elementary school with Bobby Brown's "On Our Own".

I spent weeks and weeks getting my routine down, with the words, and how I was going to fake-sing them. That part of the song about not knowing where the cards will fall? I was going to pretend I was dodging huge falling cards. The rap was me going to the edge of the stage, using my hands, mimicking everything as I rapped as Bobby. I practiced in my bedroom on the only tape player I had, which was the Fisher Price tape deck with the microphone permanently attached. I was all set.

Cut to THE DAY and after sitting through a duet of two older girls doing "Blame it on the Rain", it's finally my turn. I get up there, I heard the beginning notes, and I can't even tell you if I got "you want something done..." right, I was frozen to the stage. I remember it all finally sort of kicking back in, but that only led to me getting most of the words right and moving my feet back and forth but pretty much standing still.

After me was the school bully doing some sort of song that involved him shooting silly string on the audience. He won, I didn't even place 3rd. I was crushed, and remember crying about it on the way home. My mom bought me a chocolate bar, so it all turned out ok in the end.

I gotta give my six year old self props, though; I may have screwed it all up, but I at least had initiative and balls to do it in the first place. For years, I wanted the school to put on another contest so I could do better. My junior high school did, but at that point I had touched boobs, so I didn't care anymore.

These are the memories that flood back each and every time I hear that song.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 6, 2014

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was a wonderful story.

I sound sarcastic, because this is the internet, but I'm being entirely genuine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I gotta give my six year old self props, though; I may have screwed it all up, but I at least had initiative and balls to do it in the first place. For years, I wanted the school to put on another contest so I could do better. My junior high school did, but at that point I had touched boobs, so I didn't care anymore.

These are the memories that flood back each and every time I hear that song.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Bill Murray's picks:

Melissa McCarthy
Kristen Wiig
Linda Cardellini
Emma Stone

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Why is everyone saying that Paul Feig is making the new film? Jesus, it was one article where he, if I'm not mistaken, said 'Hey, IF I was doing it...'

I've read at least 5 different articles saying 'in the upcoming Paul Feig-helmed Ghostbusters 3...'

Am I wrong?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
As an experiment I wrote a quick blurb about a short comment made by Aykroyd well over a year ago and posted it to the movie car Facebook page.

quote:

"Dan Aykroyd announces Ecto-1 to be replaced in Ghostbusters 3; the Caddy is out! In a recent televised interview with Dave Hughes, host of TEN's The Project, Aykroyd hinted that the old, ostentatious ambulance would be replaced with something far more modern and marketable. "We'll need a new vehicle for the third one, yeah."

Is it going to be something flashy, Ghostbusters meets Fast and the Furious? Or maybe something more robust, perhaps a wildlands fire truck for wrangling unprecedented demons? What will happen to the original Ecto-1? Will it be written out entirely or will it get a warriors sendoff in glorious battle? Maybe Bill and the Ectomobile are BOTH slated to be killed-off in the first reel!"
It was shared hundreds of times and reached nearly 50,000 people in a day and a half. People are stupid and they will believe and share just about anything without a second thought.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Is that a real quote though?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
From Dan Aykroyd, who only speaks the truest truths.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Why is everyone saying that Paul Feig is making the new film? Jesus, it was one article where he, if I'm not mistaken, said 'Hey, IF I was doing it...'

I've read at least 5 different articles saying 'in the upcoming Paul Feig-helmed Ghostbusters 3...'

Am I wrong?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't even that (Feig speculating), it leaked a handful of weaks ago that Sony had approached Feig and recently Ivan Reitman has said in a couple of interviews that he's met with Feig about the project. That's about it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
At this point I just want them to make a GB3 no matter how horrible it is so it's over and done with and forgotten about. Worked wonders for the Blues Bros.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

echoplex posted:

At this point I just want them to make a GB3 no matter how horrible it is so it's over and done with and forgotten about. Worked wonders for the Blues Bros.

I really wanted them to make the movie before the OG cast started dying :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Has anyone picked up the blu-ray pack yet?

EDIT: YESSSSSSSSS!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z022BbU81BE

EDIT 2: And it's still missing stuff, like Ray driving like a maniac, and the subway monster. Welp.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 16, 2014

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You guys.

Call (212) 897-1964

Trust me on this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Haha, found this link, and who should be amidst the posters but our own Boomerjinks.

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=4809535#p4809535

Man, I want the jewelery store scene.

EDIT: Apparently, the back of the blu-ray packaging says that there are 10 scenes included, but 7 are only on the disc. Confirm/Deny? Also, is the Fort Detmerring scene on the GB1 disc?

EDIT 2: I guess not. GBFans.com doesn't mention it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 16, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

You guys.

Call (212) 897-1964

Trust me on this.

That was great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McSpanky posted:

That was great.
40+ seconds of nothing for me. What's it supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LividLiquid posted:

40+ seconds of nothing for me. What's it supposed to be?

Annie Potts doing a bit as Janine. She talks about how the Ghostbusters have been in business for 30 years and stuff.

• Locked thread