Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

Just look up your local box! Any middle class area is going to be $150-250. I'm sure there's cheaper but yeah

$250 but only $225 if you pay 12 months up front!

It's ridiculous

I pay 140 a month for the BJJ classes, as it includes unlimited classes per month and I can use the other Gym facilities and its like 5 minutes away from where I live.

If I want to do Crossfit I would have to pay extra. I am not going to pay extra per month just to have a chance to get Rhabdomyolysis thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
it's 65/mo out here for 3x a week, but I signed up for a small gym that's generally not packed during times I like to go and I can get regular lifting, and MA/CF stuff without waiting or people complaining. Even though anyone can sign up here, the gym patrons seem pretty motivated to work hard. You don't see people reading magazines while on the stationary cycle set to 0 resistance, and no one bitches about people making noise when they deadlift since there's no platform or rubber matting. Pretty cool since it's not a "hardcore gym".

I may check out my schools rec center because they have strong man poo poo like logs, tractor tires, stones and prowlers since most gyms usually don't have those unless they're a private athletic facility, a crossfit gym, or a rare strongman/powerlifting gym.

Most of those expensive ones are that way because of living expenses and/or they have some famous people in the cf world coaching or training there. Also, there are gym that have some legit coaches when it comes to strength/power/olympic lifting that aren't just those weekend warrior cf certifications. They've got certs from other organizations as well as the training and coaching experience. Hell, these gyms here have gone to regional's quite a few times and I think even the finals yet their pretty cheap because of the living expenses out here in the midwest is so low. Most cf gyms also do free classes, usually every Saturday morning. Something you should look into trying/taking advantage of by the way.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 17, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I really wanted to find a legit Olympic or power lifting gym but yeah it's all crossfit

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
29.99 for a 24/7 local place(25% vet discount). The owner/trainers/clientele are big into Crossfit. I usually lift after midnight so the only other person I see is a lady that looks like a Holocaust survivor.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

vulturesrow posted:

There are two places around here that I know of and they both are around 200 a month if IIRC.

lol there's way more than 2 here in Pensacola. There's at least 7 that I know of and the cheapest I saw was 130 a month. I'm sure with the saturation there's something cheaper out there but I straight don't give a gently caress to check on prices.

Christoff posted:

I really wanted to find a legit Olympic or power lifting gym but yeah it's all crossfit

There's a crossfit gym here was was just an Olympic weightlifting gym before crossfit was a thing. Dude just tacked on crossfit to the name to make money and his real poo poo is in Olympic lifts. He hosts USAW sanctioned events and is a really good coach when he isn't creepin on the girls. Strong as gently caress, too.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If you're paying $225-250 a month, in like four months you could outfit yourself with a pretty bangin' garage gym. A couple horse stall mats, a squat rack with a pullup bar, a bar and some plates. poo poo, if you put a years worth of gym dues into it you could build a full-fledged oly/power gym. If you're not living in the barracks (in which case, make rank lmao) you should just build your own garage gym. Then, wherever you go, you have an awesome gym. I regret a few of my purchases, but that's always because I bought the wrong brand or something, not because I should have just gone and paid a quarter of a grand a month for the rights to work out with strangers.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah you can argue that all day but some people really need that social group and encouragement for crossfit and to workout and push themselves. Which isn't a bad thing and about the only redeeming factor of crossfit imo

And if you're young, in shape, and decent looking, chicks to bang

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

chicks to bang

sold, I guess

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

TheQuietWilds posted:

$225-250 a month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhmjqGuytk

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

How much to do one squat?

vains
May 26, 2004

Christoff posted:

Yeah you can argue that all day but some people really need that social group and encouragement for crossfit and to workout and push themselves. Which isn't a bad thing and about the only redeeming factor of crossfit imo

And if you're young, in shape, and decent looking, chicks to bang

I imagine Crossfit would get kind of boring without other Crossfit bros to Crossfit with.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

If you can't motivate yourself, then gtfo you weak hearted piece of poo poo. I don't even work out to music. Just the voices in my head.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

29.99 for a 24/7 local place(25% vet discount). The owner/trainers/clientele are big into Crossfit. I usually lift after midnight so the only other person I see is a lady that looks like a Holocaust survivor.

like a decrepit old jew lady? if you dont rail her then hang your head in shame, rah?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Did some HIIT runs tonight and now my quads are screaming in agony, good workout though

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHeuZ-m1tek

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

like a decrepit old jew lady? if you dont rail her then hang your head in shame, rah?

At least flirt with her, see if she's interested. But if she is DTF then you're obligated to make that broad's decade.

vains
May 26, 2004

Full Battle Rattle posted:

At least flirt with her, see if she's interested. But if she is DTF then you're obligated to make that broad's decade.

It would be like loving a wooden chair.

PR bench 315. Finally moving big boy weights.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got elbowed in the nose yesterday by a co-worker while doing three hours of bjj. Doing six, five minute rounds of rolling felt awesome.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Friend of mine is 41 and going to compete in some big bjj comp in san diego this year. Few weekends ago he won a local comp with 0 points against him. I wish I had his level of intensity in training and life.

To be fair his wife left him and the recent string of 20 year old girlfriends leave him with a different lifestyle than mine but goddamn dude is a monster.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just checking into reiterate my love for 5/3/1. Doing OHP yesterday and my last set was a 3+ set and the weight was a weight I struggled with doing straight linear progression. I threw up 7 like a boss and then had enough gas in the tank to do a full 5x10 at about 30% max. I was pretty stoked.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

vulturesrow posted:

Just checking into reiterate my love for 5/3/1. Doing OHP yesterday and my last set was a 3+ set and the weight was a weight I struggled with doing straight linear progression. I threw up 7 like a boss and then had enough gas in the tank to do a full 5x10 at about 30% max. I was pretty stoked.

I like doing 5/3/1 x 2 inbetween other work outs but I find it gets pretty boring pretty quick

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
5/3/1 is great for strength. For accessory lifts yoiu need to be doing other poo poo besides more bench/deads/squats, hell the program even tells you other crap to work in. Any BB routine you find on bb.com should be easy to work in, and will build up those weak spots by isolating different muscles.

tried wrist straps for the first time today only got 435 on dead for 15 reps. Returning them because I didn't get any stronger by "cheating" like those youtubers whine about.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Friend of mine is 41 and going to compete in some big bjj comp in san diego this year. Few weekends ago he won a local comp with 0 points against him. I wish I had his level of intensity in training and life.

To be fair his wife left him and the recent string of 20 year old girlfriends leave him with a different lifestyle than mine but goddamn dude is a monster.

BJJ is equal manly dudes sweating over each other and nerds trying to figure out the best levers to use to move weights around in the most efficient way.

Its loving great.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
One of these days I'm going to get signed up for some MMA classes, but I don't have the intention of competing or anything. I just don't have the heart.

Just gotta get strong enough to tear a human in half like a phone book first. Is that a move yet?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

elite_garbage_man posted:

One of these days I'm going to get signed up for some MMA classes, but I don't have the intention of competing or anything. I just don't have the heart.

Just gotta get strong enough to tear a human in half like a phone book first. Is that a move yet?

Yes
You don't need to be strong, you just need to be really loving lucky.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

5/3/1 is great for strength. For accessory lifts yoiu need to be doing other poo poo besides more bench/deads/squats, hell the program even tells you other crap to work in. Any BB routine you find on bb.com should be easy to work in, and will build up those weak spots by isolating different muscles.

tried wrist straps for the first time today only got 435 on dead for 15 reps. Returning them because I didn't get any stronger by "cheating" like those youtubers whine about.

Actually the program (at least Jim Wendler's version) mentions using the same lift as an option for assistance work. He's even put more detail into it and calls it "boring but big", read here:

Boring But Big

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I have the book, and bbb is one many assistance programs. Hee mentions mixing 5/3/1 with cf stuff, strong man, and just plain ol body building work. Not all at once though, jsut way to implement it into other training routines that have worked for other people. I did bbb for a few cycles and while it is challenging, it leaves a ton of holes in your training. I guess if you're new, the volume will give you a ton of practice and the time to work on form, but I think there's better poo poo you can mix in there besides just doing more reps of the same thing. Personally, my biggest jumps have been during training cycles where I combined the strength portions of 5/3/1 with all around lifting and some cf/strong man type workouts.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

I have the book, and bbb is one many assistance programs. Hee mentions mixing 5/3/1 with cf stuff, strong man, and just plain ol body building work. Not all at once though, jsut way to implement it into other training routines that have worked for other people. I did bbb for a few cycles and while it is challenging, it leaves a ton of holes in your training. I guess if you're new, the volume will give you a ton of practice and the time to work on form, but I think there's better poo poo you can mix in there besides just doing more reps of the same thing. Personally, my biggest jumps have been during training cycles where I combined the strength portions of 5/3/1 with all around lifting and some cf/strong man type workouts.

bbb was the most boring part of 5/3/1

edit: durrr hence the name. Either way I stuck to the more accessory oriented workouts that were posted in the thread in YLLS here. I never read no book on it. I still find other things a lot more interesting/challenging though.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah I agree it's not optimal long-term. I wanted to try it for a while to add some volume to my workouts. So far the results are pretty good. What I really want to start working in are some good barbell complexes.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Broke the 230# body weight at 232 today

Mother fuckin shake weight athlete of the year

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I enlisted in the Army and am in DEP, and I'm shaving down my run time to at least the required 8 minutes for the 1 mile so I can actually ship to Basic. I've got a bit more than a month at this point and seem to have plateaued at 10 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions as far as running form or anything? I try to run a mile a day at the very least but I haven't seen any improvement for a couple of weeks where previously it has been steady improvement.

I don't know if it's just a mental thing or not, but instead of pushing myself I tend to just pace myself, slow down when I start to run out of breath instead of just keeping on even if I feel like poo poo, stuff like that.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I enlisted in the Army and am in DEP, and I'm shaving down my run time to at least the required 8 minutes for the 1 mile so I can actually ship to Basic. I've got a bit more than a month at this point and seem to have plateaued at 10 minutes. Anyone have any suggestions as far as running form or anything? I try to run a mile a day at the very least but I haven't seen any improvement for a couple of weeks where previously it has been steady improvement.

I don't know if it's just a mental thing or not, but instead of pushing myself I tend to just pace myself, slow down when I start to run out of breath instead of just keeping on even if I feel like poo poo, stuff like that.

First of all, run more than a mile... The 1 mile time is just to ship and you will never only run a mile in the army. One mile is not enough running to really build your cardio. You also half answered your own question. Stop feeling sorry for yourself when you get tired. Man the gently caress up and drive on. If you aren't puking when you are done running, you could have ran harder.

e: also, breath in through your nose and out through your mouth.

tyler fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 30, 2014

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Get a stop watch and start doing intervals. If you can't run a quarter mile/half mile at a decent pace, and know what it actually feels like, then you're never going to improve. If you want to get fast you need to train fast. Doing these 2-3 times a week, then run a mile or two at the end of the week trying to maintain the pace for the entire time.

Note: intervals are not sprints. you need to work on your technique to get a maintainable pace. Either try shorter strides at a higher frequency, or longer strides at a slower frequency. Find the happy medium that works for you without breaking into an all out sprint. Also, when you run don't use a mp3 player or pace beeper. You wont have that poo poo in basic and its best you get the feel down without any audio aids. Additionally, only look at your stop watch when your interval/rest period is over. Don't look at it while you run.

PS: don't shoot for the bare minimum of 8 minutes. you should train for 6-7 on the intervals because you're going to run a whole mile at a slower pace overall.

here's an example workout
400m-800m jog

stretch 10-15 minutes (very important so you don't get shin splints or it band issues)

day 1
2x400m intervals
2x200m intervall
cool down walk/jog 400m-800m
1:1 rest ratio (rest periods are just as long as it took to complete each interval)

day 2
4x400m intervals

day 3
2x800m intervals

day 4
1-2 mile run trying to keep your training pace or do a 3-4 mile jog so you can alternate every week

I did something similar to get my 2&3 mile times down without having to run every single day

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 30, 2014

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
I'm trying to build a garage gym. Can anyone recommend me a good (cheap) set of bounce plates and a power rack?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
cap barbell makes some inexpensive racks and plates.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out

Ashmole posted:

I'm trying to build a garage gym. Can anyone recommend me a good (cheap) set of bounce plates and a power rack?

I bought the titan hd fitness power rack. I like it. Definitely not the best finishes but it will hold whatever you or I would lift. Not a whole lot of love for it on bb.com. I have it bolted to the floor in my garage. All the rogue stuff fits on it too.

Depending on where you live you might be able to buy bumper plates in person and get them cheaper.

I went to a fringe sport store in person in TX and got my bumpers for cheaper than the website. They are good quality.

The rogue bars are good for the price. Never used a fringe sport bar, I know their steel isn't as good, but again, we probably don't have to worry about that. The CAP ob-86b barbell is supposed to be the best bang for the buck (and its cheap).

agentq fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 14, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

ArbitraryTA posted:

I don't know what your diet is like, but increase the amount of fresh fruits and vegetables and clean water you take in, minimize junk food to whatever point you can stand. If you're heavy, even 10 pounds can make a huge difference in how much effort you have to put in to running. If you regularly drink milk, keep this in mind: Mark Rippetoe recommends hard gainers take in a gallon of milk a day to spur weight gain. If getting huge is not your goal, get rid of the dairy. Other than that, the only way to get fast is practice, practice, practice, as the others have said.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

ArbitraryTA posted:

I ran into a similar problem a while back. Here's some things I found helped me.

1) Run longer distances regularly. (2-4 miles, 3-5 times a week). Get a pedometer or a running app that will let you track your split times and your running pace (i.e. how long it will take you to finish a mile at your current running pace). Set a goal pace for each mile and make sure you're keeping it. Try to run each split 10-15 second faster than the previous one. This will build cardio, get you more comfortable with running.
2) Work on your kick. The last 200-400m of your run should be at a very fast pace. Cross the finish line at a dead sprint. Lengthen your stride, quicken your step, and pump your arms. You can easily knock 10-20 seconds off your mile time with a fast finish. Doing sprinting drills (suicides, etc.) will also help you improve your kick.
3) Make sure you have good, broken-in running shoes. If your shoes are worn out or aren't good quality they can gently caress up your stride and give you poor traction.
4) Work on your running form. Have someone videotape you while you run. Get shots of yourself when you're running strong and when you're running tired. Pay attention to the differences. It can be really easy for your running form to break down as you get exhausted and that can slow you down. If you slouch, shuffle, don't get good push-off, etc. that can slow you down even more.
5) Use your arms. Running is a whole body exercise. Use your arms to drive you forward, especially when you're sprinting.
6) Run with someone faster. Having someone set a challenging running pace will push you harder and make you faster.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 16, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not a huge discount but hey. Fat Gripz for $32.50

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Gripz-The...ASIN=B005FIS14Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

Not a huge discount but hey. Fat Gripz for $32.50

I got a set of these, but I feel self-conscious about bringing gadgets into the gym