Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think you still have to be a Sydney City ratepayer if you're not a resident.

I'm wondering where this hatred of Clover comes from. Her progressive policies, bike lanes and such? Is that really it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kial posted:

I'm wondering where this hatred of Clover comes from. Her progressive policies, bike lanes and such? Is that really it?

2GB, Liberals, right wing shock jocks, Daily Terrorgraph

Nice watching Leigh Sales getting stuck into Hockey on 730

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Kial posted:

I believe Messrs Jones and Hadley would have you believe that bike lanes are almost the greatest evil known to man, second only to the dreaded Greenies and the incompetent Labor buffoons who've been wrecking the joint!

epipen
Aug 11, 2014

nyoom

You Am I posted:

Nice watching Leigh Sales getting stuck into Hockey on 730

that last question was 100% to make him look an utter wanker.
as if he needed help.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Kial posted:

I think so, although I'd hazard a guess it's as much stuff she isn't doing as stuff she is.

E: I don't think it's personal in the same way that it was with Gillard, for instance.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Kial posted:

Nipping a popular Greenie in the bud before it catches on or something.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think so, although I'd hazard a guess it's as much stuff she isn't doing as stuff she is.

E: I don't think it's personal in the same way that it was with Gillard, for instance.

The attacks on Clover Moore are loving hugely personal actually. I mean we are talking about someone who the state government has tried on multiple occasions to pass legislation to specifically get her out of office.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gough Suppressant posted:

The attacks on Clover Moore are loving hugely personal actually. I mean we are talking about someone who the state government has tried on multiple occasions to pass legislation to specifically get her out of office.

They could be specifically directed at her as a non-compliant politician getting in the way of some cronyism, but not actually directed at her as a person if that makes sense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

gay picnic defence posted:

They could be specifically directed at her as a non-compliant politician getting in the way of some cronyism, but not actually directed at 'her' as a person if that makes sense.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant.

E: It's very possible I've missed it, but I haven't seen the sustained attacks of the "ditch the witch" / "father died of shame" / "deliberately barren" variety that Gillard got hit with.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 17, 2014

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Mills posted:

Telstra shares are never going down. :getin:

Unless they put Ziggy back in charge.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
A lot of its personal, a lot of it is her politics being a lot more progressive than Sydney itself so she winds up outer suburb types who have to travel in.

But both major parties try and control the Lord mayor position. It was labor fuckery that got clover elected in the first place.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Gough Suppressant posted:

To be fair as the Antony Green article explained, NSW State Governments of both stripes have a long and proud history of loving with local government legislation to get their man into the Mayoral chains.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I work in outsourcing, in the Philippines for a major, formerly nationalised Australian telco.

I can't imagine this not being a precursor to off-shoring. Though as far as I know Centrelink and a lot of those places already outsource a lot of stuff (onshore) much like the tax office does.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Adnar posted:

I work in outsourcing, in the Philippines for a major, formerly nationalised Australian telco.

I can't imagine this not being a precursor to off-shoring. Though as far as I know Centrelink and a lot of those places already outsource a lot of stuff (onshore) much like the tax office does.

A lot of governmental agencies have clauses where the outsourcing work has to remain in Australia, so chances are that we'll be seeing more Telstra operated call centres, at least until they manage to have the policy changed.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Nope, Tony Abbott Still Hasn’t Worked Out How To Talk To Women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTqEL4Qssno

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
He did the exact same thing :psyduck:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It means there's a glitch in the matrix pr training

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tornhelm posted:

A lot of governmental agencies have clauses where the outsourcing work has to remain in Australia, so chances are that we'll be seeing more Telstra operated call centres, at least until they manage to have the policy changed.

I think changing that policy would be political suicide for any government. I mean surely, no party would be able to live down offshoring Centerlink call centers. I don't think there's a cartoonist, political commentator, journalist, anything thatcould resist parading that around.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Considering how much other bullshit they've done so far, do you really think that's out of the realm of possibility for this government?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cleretic posted:

I think changing that policy would be political suicide for any government. I mean surely, no party would be able to live down offshoring Centerlink call centers. I don't think there's a cartoonist, political commentator, journalist, anything that could resist parading that around.

Damm it, it's going to have to happen now isn't it? Murdoch will approve of it, and that's that. 2/3's of the country's Cartoonist, political commentator, journalist will support it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tornhelm posted:

There's actually a call centre that is owned by Telstra in the Phillipines now, opened up about a year back I think? The year previous I pretty much predicted that it'd happen as soon as David Thodey, Telstra CEO, announced that Telstra was no longer an "Australian company, but an Asian one.". I'd expect to see Telstra move more of it's actual operations offshore, but not outsourcing it. It makes sense in the long term, since you're ruining basically the same operation but cutting the middle man fee out. Teletech only ever really got the contract because Sol's wife owns a major part of it.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Telstra operate with 3 outsourcers of roughly equal size here (Convergys, Teleperformance and Teletech)

The "captive" centre they have is pretty small (about 30 people Vs 6k heads or so overall outsourced) which is really a trial for doing more complex and high customer value complaint stuff off shore which normally would remain.

As far as I understand the big challenge in starting up their own centres Vs outsourcing is capital expenditure, it's quite hard to justify a 100million$ start up cost to shareholders to buy and build the sites required that they'd need.

Also outsourcing for this kind of seasonal volume work makes much more sense than captive, they can ramp employee requirements down in 60 days.. You can't do that when you are the employer without wearing significant costs

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Adnar posted:

Telstra operate with 3 outsourcers of roughly equal size here (Convergys, Teleperformance and Teletech)

The "captive" centre they have is pretty small (about 30 people Vs 6k heads or so overall outsourced) which is really a trial for doing more complex and high customer value complaint stuff off shore which normally would remain.

As far as I understand the big challenge in starting up their own centres Vs outsourcing is capital expenditure, it's quite hard to justify a 100million$ start up cost to shareholders to buy and build the sites required that they'd need.

Also outsourcing for this kind of seasonal volume work makes much more sense than captive, they can ramp employee requirements down in 60 days.. You can't do that when you are the employer without wearing significant costs

Yeah but in terms of say, what Teletech have been doing for the last five years and would be doing going forward, wouldn't it be better to just start it up yourself? There is of course the initial capital put into such a project, but it'd pay off versus the middle man fees being paid to Teletech and co.

Also, if it's offshore consultants dealing with Centrelink poo poo, it'll go down badly. They're pretty much trained to follow the script and any situation outside of that they just aren't able to handle (this isn't the people themselves, it's just how they're trained).

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

From what I was told by a very senior manager (think Mr Ts inner sanctum) it's actually quite hard for them to establish from a shareholders point of view if not impossible to spend that sort of capital. But other than that it's just not worth the headache, companies outsource not just for the cost benefits but managing 6000 heads is a pain most can deal without and companies whose profession is managing call centres do it better (which is quite funny considering Telstra are claiming they'll show Centrelink the way) and much much cheaper.

FWIW those 3 outsourcers are in the midst of building megasites for all TS work for next 5 years so arrangement won't be changing any time soon.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Urgh.

It was only a couple of years ago DHS was in the process of spending hundreds of millions on upgrading their entire phone system (especially the call centres) and have an extensive amount of in-house technical expertise in the area.

They also have/had a number of contracts with other Australian government departments to provide call centre services (for example with DFAT, in case of an international emergency, it was Centrelink's call centres that would be activated to provide 24h support with some pretty crazy SLAs).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

There's actually a call centre that is owned by Telstra in the Phillipines now, opened up about a year back I think? The year previous I pretty much predicted that it'd happen as soon as David Thodey, Telstra CEO, announced that Telstra was no longer an "Australian company, but an Asian one.". I'd expect to see Telstra move more of it's actual operations offshore, but not outsourcing it. It makes sense in the long term, since you're ruining basically the same operation but cutting the middle man fee out. Teletech only ever really got the contract because Sol's wife owns a major part of it.

Yes, but I bet you that the overseas centres don't handle governmental stuff. There's clauses in pretty much every governmental agency all the way from your local council, to state and federal level against off-shoring their work - it has to be done by Australians, in Australia. It's actually part of the tender process - even the multi-national call centres need to be able to field an Australian based team that deal with their work.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Some local council shenannigans that some of you might find interesting.

Executive summary:
- There are 10 councillors in local government, 5 are liberal (nominally they're all independents but 5 are members of the libs)
- There's a mayoral election every year where the councillors vote.
- The sitting mayor, a Liberal, lost the liberal councillors' endorsement for being mayor 3-2 in favour of a 22-year-old law student, the day before the mayoral election
- The mayor called another caucus meeting for the next day (the day of the election), starting at 5:50pm
- The mayor and her supporter arrived at the meeting at 5:50pm sharp.
- In the first 4 minutes of the meeting, the vote is held to re-endorse the current mayor. Motion passed 2-0.
- The other three Liberal councillors show up at 5:54 and find that the meeting is over. They're pissed but totally powerless.
- The liberals have to vote along party lines, because them's the rules. So the mayor is reinstated 6-4.
- The mayor did the exact same thing last year.

quote:

Anger over Jennifer Anderson’s re-election as Mayor of Ku-ring-gai Council
PETER THEODOSIOU HORNSBY ADVOCATE SEPTEMBER 17, 2014 12:36PM

COUNCILLOR Jennifer Anderson was reinstated as Mayor of Ku-ring-gai Council on Tuesday night, but it was her pre-election self-endorsement that has caused a rift among the five Liberal councillors.

Just 24 hours before Tuesday night’s election, the Liberal councillors voted (3-2) to endorse 22-year-old David Ossip as the sole candidate for the mayorship, but an 11th hour U-turn saw Cr Anderson announce herself as the candidate following a caucus meeting — only attended and voted on by her supporter, Cr Chantelle Fornari-Orsmond.

Cr Ossip and his supporters arrived at the caucus meeting four minutes later than the 5.50pm scheduled start, to discover it had been adjourned with Cr Anderson voted in as the Liberal’s sole election candidate.

A visibly livid Cr Ossip and the three other Liberal councillors were forced to vote along party lines, meaning Cr Anderson was reinstated as mayor with six votes — ahead of independent Cr Elaine Malicki, who received four votes.

The general meeting concluded with Cr Fornari-Orsmond elected as deputy mayor.

The power of mayorship was too big a treat to pass up for Cr Anderson, who exercised the same process last year to oust endorsed Liberal councillor David Citer at the last minute­.

Cr Fornari-Orsmond defended the process, saying Cr Ossip and his supporters “had the opportunity and were given due notice” of the caucus meeting but they simply “weren’t there”.

On Monday, Cr Anderson contacted the Advocate to announce Cr Ossip as the sole candidate and Cheryl Szatow as deputy.

At the same time, independent councillor Duncan McDonald, whose vote tipped the balance in Cr Anderson’s favour, voiced his support for her.

In response Cr Anderson said; “We understand that our main focus must be on meeting the needs of Ku-ring-gai residents.

“Electing a mayor who achieves a 6-4 result is important to providing stability for the council.

“A late change to the selected nominee also occurred last year. We accept that this is part of the process and we place the best interests of Ku-ring-gai and the council above all else.”

Cr Malicki was “disgusted” with the election outcome.

“Jennifer Anderson’s underhanded manipulation of Liberal Party rules on Tuesday night, knowing that seven out of 10 of her colleagues did not want her as mayor, was desperate and unAustralian,” she said.

“We are a country of the fair go for all, and David Ossip, who got the majority Liberal vote, deserved his chance at the top job even if   it meant a draw from the hat.

“Ku-ring-gai is now stuck with a Mayor and deputy mayor who are the result of Liberal Party policy, not the support of their colleagues. What a farce.”

Cr Ossip didn’t address the night’s events but said he was humbled by the support he received from other Liberal councillors and that he would not contest next year’s election — choosing instead to pursue a career as a lawyer when he completes his studies.

This will be Cr Anderson’s third term in office, having taken the seat in 2011-12 and 2013-14.
Moral of the story: get to meetings exactly on time, if not early.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
How do they not have a quorum requirement for things like that.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Tasmantor posted:

Shut up Mills, getting a job is hosed everyone wants 5 years experience but if you're old enough to have 5 years you're too old/experienced/qualified to be hired. Not to mention where the gently caress do you get 5 years 'xp when you can't get a job that's not a 6 month casual post? The whole job advertising and application charade is bullshit you get jobs through friends and family or dogged persistence. Anidav is suffering the same poo poo a lot of people under 30 suffer in this country all their friends are casual workers with no weight at work to get them the jobs. Jobs that go to managements friends and family or get automated. When enough professionals can't get work I hope that your job gets cut because some gently caress in an office worth more than my home figures out it can be done by work for the dole suckers.

There needs to be an emoticon to indicate both full agreement and complete and utter crushing despair.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Even my JSA is pushing this 'experience required for even bullshit jobs' thing.

Not to mention this is the first job vacancy they've sent me in 7 months. :smith:

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Anidav posted:

I believe it is illegal but good luck trying to prove it happened on a phone call with a private number.

Mate, they can't all be using private numbers. Get a call recording app. Getting someone out of a DV situation, nailing an employer, just remembering what exactly was said during a conversation sometimes. I don't know the legality of it but gently caress if it doesn't make some companies nervous when after they tell you they're recording you that you are in fact also recording them.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Not all, pretty much 80% of consumer though, with a few outsourced centres on the Gold Coast and a few other places in Australia. A major amount of the small business, as well as all large business, enterprise and goverment call centres are on shore too.

Telstra actually have their own centre in the Phillipines now, but contract a most of the back of house work to Wipro in India. It's very likely that the centres handling Centrelink and Medicare would probably just be in the Phillipines, Telstra hates having Australian centres and is slowly moving every thing they can either to their own Phillipines operation or to Wipro. There's one exception that they can't offshore or outsource, and that's the handling and provisioning of Government services, which Telstra signed to in the contract to provide those services.

Given Telstra's security track record with the Phillipines (operators emailing customers from their home address, offering to cancel their outstanding balances if they pay them $50 and sending them nude photos) I can't see this going well.

Constantly. If you want anything above a token pay raise, you need to pump through work like a robot. A lot of areas are completely understaffed and underresourced, and still told to perform better which only leads to managers yelling at consultants who are already doing their best. It comes down to a pure numbers game.

Isn't there a chance that with moving social welfare call centers to poorer countries with weaker currencies, an ambitious person could bribe literally entire companies worth of people to cut dole payments, and foment a national emergency when Newstart recipients get their looting on?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dunno how DHS works but with any outsourcing the ato does, outsourced employees still have to hold Australian citizenship.

I'm sceptical of foreign gov call centres, but can easily believe they'll build more Australian ones stacked with cheap casual labour and whip carrying slave drivers.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

quote:

ASIO and counter terrorism police have swooped on homes across north-western Sydney and other states this morning in what is believed to be the largest anti-terrorism bust in the nation’s history.

Several arrests have reportedly been made in the secret pre-dawn raid, which is still in progress.

The arrests follow the execution of a number of search warrants in Beecroft, Bellavista, Guildford, Merrylands, Northmead, Wentworthville, Marsfield, Westmead, Castle Hill, Revesby, Bass Hill and Regents Park.

How come terrorists never operate out of the Eastern suburbs?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
In my LGA, Councillors are explicitly forbidden from binding themselves to caucus decisions against their wishes. I'm surprised it isn't the same for Kuringgai.

e: why couldn't they just hold another caucus meeting with blackjack and hookers

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Mills posted:

How come terrorists never operate out of the Eastern suburbs?

You didn't read the article very closely. But I suspect your'e not very good at reading. I'll break today's propaganda down into bullet points for you.

No evidence has been presented that any of these men or possibly women are terrorists.

The AFP specifically said there was never any danger to Australia, no plot against Australia, no plans involving the targeting of Australians.

If this is about people planning to go to fight in South West Asia, well hey, they could have been going there to fight for secularism and liberal democratic rights for all you know, and that would still technically be a punishable offence under Australian law. They might be lolbertarians like yourself and wanted to fight to free the markets.

You're jumping at shadows, like the coward you were bred and raised to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

So are Tone can't even scaremonger for votes without loving it up, how can someone possibly be this bad at it and still reach the office?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Morning Auspol, hope you're not eating !

Is someone at Murdoch more subversive than we think or are they literally too dumb to recognise that the Mission Accomplished thing is an image of failure and ridicule(it's the second)

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
EXCLUSIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Zenithe posted:

How do they not have a quorum requirement for things like that.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

In my LGA, Councillors are explicitly forbidden from binding themselves to caucus decisions against their wishes. I'm surprised it isn't the same for Kuringgai.

e: why couldn't they just hold another caucus meeting with blackjack and hookers
My best guesses:
- They aren't officially Liberal councillors, they're independents who all happen to be members of the Liberal party. The Liberal party doesn't endorse people officially for the council election (dunno why). So the rules are probably pretty sparse. Evidently, sparser than any sporting association or university club I have ever heard of, and potentially curated in a fashion to maximise the ability to screw people over.
- Two rules I am sure the mayor relied on were a minimum notice period before caucus meetings (and since the vote was that day, there wasn't enough time to reschedule) and of course the binding requirement.
- The fact that the mayor pulled this stunt last year and nobody thought to add a quorum requirement speaks volumes of these people.

• Locked thread