Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The standard horizontal sits-on-a-desk top case fell out of style about the same time as laptops became the majority of computers sold and everybody stopped having bulky CRTs that took up roughly the same amount of desk space anyway.

Since the "desk top" case design was intended for space saving in combination with a CRT, they didn't have much use once you could fit an LCD and a minitower in the same space, or forgo the desktop computer altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Beige desktop case chat, I remember when I was young and stupid I thought the Packard Bell Corner Computer was a really clever and attractive design.

Good grief I was a dumb kid. :stare:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That is kind of clever, in a "Sure, I could just tuck a regular desktop case in there with drives off to one side, but I REALLY want to see what this looks like" kind of way.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The primary problem with the Corner Computer is that it's a Packard Bell, and thus 80% built from parts rejected by other manufacturers, or sold to customers and then returned and nominally refurbished.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Police Automaton posted:

I know that now too, it was just ridiculous how hard it was to find to begin with. Lots of these things still come dangerously close to looking like a DVD-Player/Stereo, bright LEDs are still a given (and if it's even an overtly bright blue Power LED) and the prices often are just ridiculous.

Nanoxia would suit you well then, if you ever need a new case. It avoids all the pitfalls you mention and is very reasonably priced.

I've said this before but if I ever win the lottery I'm going to pay a master furniture maker to build me a custom case out of luxury timbers and fine leather.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 13, 2014

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would've totally bought a horizontal pc case if I knew they were still being made.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Freakazoid_ posted:

I would've totally bought a horizontal pc case if I knew they were still being made.

They are, in the form of ITX mini-towers that you can lay down on their sides, or thin client workstations, or a lot of other stuff you have to look fairly hard to find, unfortunately.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Silverstone RVZ-01 but don't block the vents!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LiquidRain posted:

Silverstone RVZ-01 but don't block the vents!

Well, that's the fugly version of the ML07. Unless there's someone that actually prefers the RVZ-01.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 13, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I found the perfect full size ATX desktop case that isn't ugly gamer :catdrugs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039

Real Wood. Real Classy.

Sadly, not a real metal faceplate

140mm rear fan cooling power

Room for 4 hard drives and one optical drive

Space for a long graphics card

Ok, but seriously, newegg has several plain and classy all black desktop cases, so they're still being made, they're just touted as "HTPC" cases and cost more. Dunno if you would have any of them where you are though.

HalloKitty posted:

Well, that's the fugly version of the ML07. Unless there's someone that actually prefers the RVZ-01.
RVZ-01 comes with fan filters included, so clearly it's targeting the "gamer" side of the market while the ML07 is targeting the HTPC side.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 13, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah NUMA/IPIs gently caress with apps not written to take deal with them.
Multi-CPU Xeons run in NUMA mode only?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

BobHoward posted:

I'd love to see somebody try to sell real military grade hardware to gamers. Not in the certification sense but just actually bothering to construct the box, board, wiring harnesses etc. to requirements for gear which gets mounted in a tank or whatever. Hello ugly green painted aluminum boxes with 1/4 inch thick walls and sealed Cannon type cylindrical connectors! Good luck dragging that poo poo to a LAN party.

(Also good luck getting gamers to pay at least 10x for everything while getting lower specs because it has to be super rugged.)

Even if it wasn't completely mill-spec a rugged overengineered case made out of 1/4" aluminium plate, with neutrik or similar spec connectors,a few high quality switches and some powerful fans for ventilation would be pretty cool. Esspecialy if the case was thick enough to serve as part of a heatsink.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Hi there. Pleased to meet you.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

Hi there. Pleased to meet you.

Sorry, I didn't really mean it as an insult. Different strokes for different folks!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Sorry, I didn't really mean it as an insult. Different strokes for different folks!

No offense taken! Honestly if one has filters and the other doesn't it really doesn't matter which looks better, that decision is already made.

Also even though both can go both ways it seems the ML07 is kinda aesthetically optimized to be laid down flat whereas the RVZ01 I would say definitely looks better standing upright, and I very much prefer my cases erect.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cardboard Box A posted:

I found the perfect full size ATX desktop case that isn't ugly gamer :catdrugs:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204039

Real Wood. Real Classy.

Sadly, not a real metal faceplate

140mm rear fan cooling power

Room for 4 hard drives and one optical drive

Space for a long graphics card
I made basically this computer out of a record player for a competition once.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Cardboard Box A posted:

Ok, but seriously, newegg has several plain and classy all black desktop cases, so they're still being made, they're just touted as "HTPC" cases and cost more. Dunno if you would have any of them where you are though.

RVZ-01 comes with fan filters included, so clearly it's targeting the "gamer" side of the market while the ML07 is targeting the HTPC side.

These I could have really used a few days ago, as long as they're full ATX that is, but judging from the height they are. Wouldn't be surprised if they're like, 200 bucks tho. Especially the Lian Li ones.

I got an old fashioned "codegen 8006-CA" from somewhere around the turn of the century that's a bit on the cheap side, but it also was only like ten bucks in an auction on ebay, although still in it's original carton and never used so I can't really complain. It's not for my primary PC but going to be used for a Pentium 3 (I'm not kidding).

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Police Automaton posted:

These I could have really used a few days ago, as long as they're full ATX that is, but judging from the height they are. Wouldn't be surprised if they're like, 200 bucks tho. Especially the Lian Li ones.

The Silverstone and NMedia cases actually aren't that expensive, under $100 generally.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ft-05. You need a vertical case because hot air moves up naturally. You must make sacrifices (a window!) to get best possible performance: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=522&area=en

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Welmu posted:

Seems unlikely since Intel's latest enterprise-class PciE SSDs are vastly superior to SATA Express:

When the hell are the P3500's coming out? They hit my price/performance sweet spot, and I can finally stop using workstation PCIe SSDs for my servers. :argh:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I scrolled through the last three pages and didn't see anything, so please link the post where the discussion begins if this has been discussed and summarily ignore this post. How large of an improvement can we expect to see in broadwell for integrated graphics.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

keyvin posted:

I scrolled through the last three pages and didn't see anything, so please link the post where the discussion begins if this has been discussed and summarily ignore this post. How large of an improvement can we expect to see in broadwell for integrated graphics.

We only know the GT2 SKU right now, 24 EUs instead of 20, so a 20% boost isoclock. Clock speeds will probably be similar in terms of peak, but a released 3DMark benchmark showed a 4.5W Broadwell Core M putting out numbers similar to a 15W Core i5-4300U. That means lower average clock speeds, but a fantastic overall increase in performance per watt. If that holds up, then 15W+ Broadwells could easily see all of that 20% EU difference as a performance increase, and perhaps more beyond from thermal budget headroom in the form of higher average clock speeds. This would level off back to ~20% on desktop SKUs that aren't thermally constrained, though.

This is actually the conservative estimate, though, as there are some underlying uarch changes that loosen a different bottleneck by 50%. So figure "up to 50% faster," with the 50% side of the range being an edge case. It won't make Broadwell GT2 match up to Haswell GT3, but it'll be a boost.

Broadwell will also support DirectX 12, a thin graphics API meant to lower CPU overhead and improve performance. Combining these two effects has dramatic effects on thermally-constrained integrated GPUs, with an Intel non-interactive demo showing a 75% performance boost switching from a DirectX 11 render pipeline to DirectX 12. Technically this will be available on Haswell CPUs as well, though, and possibly Ivy Bridge, too.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The IT guy in my office insists AMD is the best for price/performance (he says intel motherboards cost way more or something) and recommends them to everyone and recently replaced all our 3.4Ghz Phenom II X4 965 machines with 3.1Ghz Bulldozer FX-8120s (is that even an upgrade??). We do some fairly computationally intensive stuff (Geographic Information Systems) that is almost all single threaded.

I know the prevailing opinion on these boards is that Intel is a better value, but is there an unambiguous, easily comprehensible set of benchmarks or price/performance comparison between Intel and AMD that I can reference when I end up arguing with him about this?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tacier posted:

The IT guy in my office insists AMD is the best for price/performance (he says intel motherboards cost way more or something) and recommends them to everyone and recently replaced all our 3.4Ghz Phenom II X4 965 machines with 3.1Ghz Bulldozer FX-8120s (is that even an upgrade??). We do some fairly computationally intensive stuff (Geographic Information Systems) that is almost all single threaded.

I know the prevailing opinion on these boards is that Intel is a better value, but is there an unambiguous, easily comprehensible set of benchmarks or price/performance comparison between Intel and AMD that I can reference when I end up arguing with him about this?

This is insanely bad advice at best and a misuse of IT funds at worst, especially in an industry where time is money. Where is he even finding AMD workstations? We have nothing but Xeons here because I think that's all Dell puts in Precision workstations.

TL; DR: Guy is a moron, possibly a dangerous one.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Tacier posted:

Wait, he loving bought Zambezi? Not even Vishera?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

TechReport does price-performance scatter charts. Passmark does relative value numbers but you need to filter out all the old processors sold for cheap. But as an example, comparing the FX-8120 and the E3-1276v3 shows single-threaded performance in favor of Intel by nearly a factor of two, and a third of the price to boot. AnandTech also has benchmark comparisons including single-threaded scientific workloads. Again, the AMD parts do pretty poorly compared to Intel's offerings.

Also, for GIS work shouldn't you be using workstation components with ECC?

phongn fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 17, 2014

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Maybe if this was 2005 I'd recommend AMD over Intel but nowadays not so much.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Tacier posted:

Spread your cheeks and fart in his face because even the most hardcore of amd fanboys who know anything at all will tell you intel crushes single thread. And the motherboards cost virtually the same ... the cpus cost more

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Where is he even finding AMD workstations?

phongn posted:

Also, for GIS work shouldn't you be using workstation components with ECC?

Thanks for the links. It's a small office (~15 workstations), so he buys the parts and builds the machines himself. I don't know enough about ECC memory to say whether or not it'd be helpful here.

Hace posted:

Wait, he loving bought Zambezi? Not even Vishera?
I should clarify--he "upgraded" the machines a little over a year ago. We don't have the money to upgrade very often here so it still feels recent to me.

I don't want to throw this IT guy under the bus with the bosses or undermine his authority, but this stuff directly affects the time it takes for everybody's work to process, so I feel like the whole office would benefit if I could convince him to maybe go Intel next time.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

Thanks for the links. It's a small office (~15 workstations), so he buys the parts and builds the machines himself. I don't know enough about ECC memory to say whether or not it'd be helpful here.
I usually suggest ECC when doing CPU-intensive things for "work that matters", so to speak. But even for an office of 15, you should be able to get reps from HP, Dell (or places like CDW) to work with you and give you deals less than list price. Plus you can get support and stuff.

quote:

I don't want to throw this IT guy under the bus with the bosses or undermine his authority, but this stuff directly affects the time it takes for everybody's work to process, so I feel like the whole office would benefit if I could convince him to maybe go Intel next time.
You could talk to him and see what's up. If nothing really changes, the next time an upgrade cycle is planned you can talk to management and argue your case.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Multi-CPU Xeons run in NUMA mode only?
Impossible not to; it will take longer for a CPU on Socket 0 to access memory on Socket 1's memory controller if only because of wire length.

phongn fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 17, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You're not throwing him under the bus or undermining his authority to call out he's making absolutely terrible decisions with your company's rather limited IT budget.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tacier posted:

For single threaded work that is almost certainly a downgrade. To beat a 4 core phenom II, Bulldozer generally needs at least one of: higher clocks, software that uses AVX instructions, or software that utilizes the hell out of 8 threads.

Maybe your GIS package uses AVX? Probably not though. And in any case, if you're trying to pinch pennies on workstation spending, and there's no need for lots of threads, high clocked Haswell i3 CPUs are where it's at. Intel list price on the 3.8GHz i3-4370 is $157, and it supports ECC. It will kick the living poo poo out of any AMD CPU on single threaded loads.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Tacier posted:

Your IT guy gave terrible purchasing advice, that was a huge waste of money.

I would put a little money on that being a downgrade in your application, and it most certainly kicks out more heat.

There are so many benchmarks that you don't need our advice, just check all reputable tech websites, they all show the same picture. AMD's single thread performance is right down deep in the shitter, and even under multithreaded loads, an i5 would get the job done better almost every time whilst using far less power.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 17, 2014

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if the IT guy read reviews before doing this or not. Not even vs Intel, Vs AMD's number one competitor, AMD.

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Tacier posted:

I should clarify--he "upgraded" the machines a little over a year ago. We don't have the money to upgrade very often here so it still feels recent to me.

A basic Core i3 at that time period would've been significantly better at single threaded tasks, consume less than half of electricity of the FX-8120 under load, and cost much less to purchase. If your GIS doesn't use AVX then I can strongly imagine he probably downgraded all the previous computers.

Aside from that you also have to factor the cost of electricity. The FX-8120 processor pulls nearly 200w under load. This is bad for a business that uses a lot of computers that are in constant use.

Why is this IT guy still working there? He wasted the company's budget and actually potentially reduced productivity. It's clear he's not qualified for his job role. You need to quickly bring this issue up with management (with as much evidence as needed) before he causes any more damage.

Titor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 17, 2014

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

KillHour posted:

When the hell are the P3500's coming out? They hit my price/performance sweet spot, and I can finally stop using workstation PCIe SSDs for my servers. :argh:

Probably never. Intel is very bad about actually bringing enterprise ssd's to market, and demand for the P3600 and P3700 is phenomenal.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Titor posted:

A basic Core i3 at that time period would've been significantly better at single threaded tasks, consume less than half of electricity of the FX-8120 under load, and cost much less to purchase. If your GIS doesn't use AVX then I can strongly imagine he probably downgraded all the previous computers.

Aside from that you also have to factor the cost of electricity. The FX-8120 processor pulls nearly 200w under load. This is bad for a business that uses a lot of computers that are in constant use.

Why is this IT guy still working there? He wasted the company's budget and actually potentially reduced productivity. It's clear he's not qualified for his job role. You need to quickly bring this issue up with management (with as much evidence as needed) before he causes any more damage.

He's been working here much longer than me and management would trust him over me in these matters. I don't want to rock the boat and I'm sure this guy could present benchmarks to support his case that would convince the bosses he was right (like the Value section of this chart: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-FX-8120). I was just hoping for a quick and unambiguous way to convince him that Intel is the way to go.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Tacier posted:

He's been working here much longer than me and management would trust him over me in these matters. I don't want to rock the boat and I'm sure this guy could present benchmarks to support his case that would convince the bosses he was right (like the Value section of this chart: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-3570K-vs-AMD-FX-8120). I was just hoping for a quick and unambiguous way to convince him that Intel is the way to go.
Request a bake-off: nothing else works like actually benchmarking your problem set. And be careful that he doesn't do something stupid like sabotage the Intel competitor by underspec'ing everything besides the CPU.

Also, that benchmark favors your case: the Intel CPU is cheaper and has higher single-threaded performance. Call him out on any statistical shenanigans.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd probably first find out if people like the IT guy or not before trying to undermine him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
You're not going to convince IT guy since he is a cast-iron idiot. If you want change, convince the people above/around him.