Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I'm really interested to see what this Japanese audio is about, with Lightning "having more emotions" and poo poo. Technically it's not available for US, but a couple script changes is easy to activate.

Basically the entire game in Japanese is up on Youtube and stuff now. You could watch a few cutscenes that way for comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wonder if Aerith took advantage of Zack's fragile emotional and psychological state after he had to kill his ex-boyfriend because said ex-boyfriend turned into a griffon man thing. To like, buy her clothes and stuff, and rape him. Aerith sells flowers, but how does she get the flowers? BY TAKING THEM FROM VULNERABLE PRIVATE MILITARY MEN.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the entire game in Japanese is up on Youtube and stuff now. You could watch a few cutscenes that way for comparison.

Do you have a link for a playlist (and does it have subs?) because I've been looking for a long while on that.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

I wonder if Aerith took advantage of Zack's fragile emotional and psychological state after he had to kill his ex-boyfriend because said ex-boyfriend turned into a griffon man thing. To like, buy her clothes and stuff, and rape him. Aerith sells flowers, but how does she get the flowers? BY TAKING THEM FROM VULNERABLE PRIVATE MILITARY MEN.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Tried the demo for Curtain Call, the new controls really make this game feel a lot better. Is the game well equipped for them? Cause I might end up buying it eventually just because I don't have to use those weird touch screen controls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Do you have a link for a playlist (and does it have subs?) because I've been looking for a long while on that.

I've never seen a playlist with subs that are not just the English text but there's stuff like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu6luY6mm4Y

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I played Curtain Call for a couple hours and now my hands have the Kid Icarus cramps. Maybe I should set the 3DS down on a table to play.

I have a lot of problems with hold notes missing half way through because I'm so afraid of scratching the screen (even though I have a screen protector on it) that I don't press down hard enough I guess.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Krad posted:

God, I hope so, but it's highly unlikely.

Off the top of my head:

- The gameplay gets incredibly repetitive after a while. Get used to seeing the same enemies... a lot. Its only saving grace is the Kill Sight system, where you have to strike the enemy at the right time to either one hit kill them or deal an enormous amount of damage (that's the red/yellow rings that show up in the trailers). Trying to constantly hit those made it somewhat more entertaining.

- Sidequests. They're given to you by random NPC's, and you have to accept them for them to activate, oh, and you can only have one sidequest active at a time. Why?

- Time limits. The main game is divided in main missions, and when you're done, you go back to your HQ. You're then given an X amount of units of time to spend as you see fit. Talking to some NPC's will spend some units, staying in your class for some lessons to level up some stats will also spend time. This would be just fine, you usually end up with more time than you'd know what to do with, unless you want to go for sidequests that require you to go out to the world map to explore. Did I mention that you can only accept one sidequest at a time? Have fun travelling back and forth and hoping you have enough time left!

- Speaking of the world map, it's... not exactly like in the old games. It's not one big map, it's actually divided in several areas with three or four same-y towns. The maps are mostly empty.

- Horribly unbalanced. You're given 14 characters to play as, sure, but some of them will disappear for entire chapters without any prior warning. Characters that are not in your current party will not gain any experience, so it's highly likely that you'll end up with at least one low level character with you. It gets somewhat grindy going back to level your unused party.

- The story. It's full of gaps. Hope you guys liked reading the Codex from XIII, because this one has a library's worth of codex entries to read. Literally! You can go to a library to read new entries about the world's history/current events. Supposedly playing a new game+ shows you new scenes and you'll get more out of the story, but I didn't have the will to go through it again.

There's probably more but I can't remember a whole lot right now. I know that most of these things happened because it's a PSP game, but I don't know, I guess I had higher expectations after playing Crisis Core, which turned out pretty okay despite being really simplistic.

edit: one more that pissed me off, you can only change equipment/skills at save points and not from the usual menus like in every other game. Really infuriating when you have lightning equipped and you're suddenly faced with enemies that absorb it for the remainder of a mission.

I keep on hoping against hope that some of those issues could be addressed, since the Last Remnant port fixed a bunch of it's issues, and surely they could do the same here, right? :downs:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They are bad at posting hth.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

PunkBoy posted:

I keep on hoping against hope that some of those issues could be addressed, since the Last Remnant port fixed a bunch of it's issues, and surely they could do the same here, right? :downs:

I'd be happy enough if they fixed the stupid equipment issue. It's ridiculous that they wouldn't let you switch spells/skills around when you need them the most.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

He got too close to Sin.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looks like DLC songs will show up during Quest Medleys in Curtain Call; I just ran into one in the current Quest I'm playing through. I remember one of the major complaints people seemed to have about the original Theatrhythm was the extremely limited selection of songs available in the Dark Notes in the Chaos Shrine, so having the DLC tracks show up in the Quest Medleys is definitely a nice improvement over that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Momomo posted:

Tried the demo for Curtain Call, the new controls really make this game feel a lot better. Is the game well equipped for them? Cause I might end up buying it eventually just because I don't have to use those weird touch screen controls.

I've been playing solely in button mode, so it works out pretty well. The only issue is on field songs if you noticed in the demo whenever there is a slide at the end of a hold, but the game is weirdly loose about keeping the circle close to the target so you can actually afford to let go near the end of a hold.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Overbite posted:

I played Curtain Call for a couple hours and now my hands have the Kid Icarus cramps. Maybe I should set the 3DS down on a table to play.

I have a lot of problems with hold notes missing half way through because I'm so afraid of scratching the screen (even though I have a screen protector on it) that I don't press down hard enough I guess.
Use the little stand that came with Kid Icarus, that was my constant companion when I played the original Theatrhythm.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/18/6456117/square-enix-shinra-technologies-cloud-gaming-yoichi-wada

Square Enix just announced a new cloud gaming service called Shinra Technologies, they are doing this in partner with Avalanche Studios.

:allears:

Okay SE let's just make that FF7 remake.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's no real incentive for SE to do a FF7 remake. Especially not with their hosed up development practices right now.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

There's no real incentive for SE to do a FF7 remake. Especially not with their hosed up development practices right now.

Oh I know, I don't really care for one.

I find the cloud service thing up there cute though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Listen, all Square has to do is keep remaking bits and pieces of FF7 as phone minigames and before you know it we'll have our own "Stab Aerith" minigame.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Skeezy posted:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/18/6456117/square-enix-shinra-technologies-cloud-gaming-yoichi-wada

Square Enix just announced a new cloud gaming service called Shinra Technologies, they are doing this in partner with Avalanche Studios.

@#!$ Shinra

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beef Waifu posted:

Listen, all Square has to do is keep remaking bits and pieces of FF7 as phone minigames and before you know it we'll have our own "Stab Aerith" minigame.

That'd be a sweet Fruit Ninja clone

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Man, Square, you need to stagger your announcements. We're getting hit too hard over here. Somebody get this hothead outta here.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

I've never seen a playlist with subs that are not just the English text but there's stuff like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu6luY6mm4Y

Annoying vocal music aside, I like the English more. Troy Baker is just that good.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It happens to feel good to feel positve about Final Fantasy's future. I haven't felt this in a long, long time.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think I'm the only one who thought FF15's trailer was kind of dull and not what I want out of Final Fantasy.

Anyway whats the better strat for Curtain Call; picking a team and going with just them or alternating characters in and out? Right now it's Ramza, Rikku, Cloud, Y'shola and I dunno if stat wise it's great but I like the characters so I'm going with it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Well, there's two mindsets here. They're obviously riding the renewed hype for a game people have been waiting for close to a decade, and trying to maintain the draw out the good will by announcing all this other stuff. I bet you the release of Curtain Call is tied into this.

But then there's the other mindset about keeping that hype, like staggering their announcements.. I can guarantee you that in a couple weeks, hell, days, we're going to go back to loudly proclaiming that it's probably going to be poo poo.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Overbite posted:

I think I'm the only one who thought FF15's trailer was kind of dull and not what I want out of Final Fantasy.

Yes. I want four sword dudes just chillin' talking about dates and poo poo driving the gently caress around in their awesome sports car across giant fantasy fields.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Overbite posted:

Anyway whats the better strat for Curtain Call; picking a team and going with just them or alternating characters in and out? Right now it's Ramza, Rikku, Cloud, Y'shola and I dunno if stat wise it's great but I like the characters so I'm going with it.

Welllll if you are doing Quest Medleys, definitely stick to one main team. If you are doing individual songs, it can benefit you to have someone from the specific game in your party so you get the 30 rhythmia bonus.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Overbite posted:

Honestly from what I've played of it it's entirely inconsequential. I've totally beaten high-level quest medley bosses with level 30 characters, it doesn't take much.

Really the only stats to focus on are hp/stamina buffs (if you happen to get bads/misses a lot) and strength/magic depending on the character. Either load your team up with the heavy hitters (preferably with the auto-activate boss techs and/or lots of damage abilities), like Jecht and Cloud, or just cycle 'em out so you can 99 all of them. Then min/max with the Crystarium if you're that kind of person.

Personally, what I've been doing is getting a team of four up to 60ish, subbing one of them out for a lvl 1 noobie, then doing it again when the remaining three reach level 80ish. You end up with a team that has enough power to get you through basically anything while making sure you're constantly getting a new character up to par. Then you can just cap everyone off at 99 and call it a day.

E; yeah you can also sub people in for extra rhythmia, or make all boy/girl teams, but honestly if this is anything like the last game you'll unlock everything fairly quickly just playing normally.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Something I found really helpful for taking a low level team through bosses in Quest Medley is having someone with Scare (in my current B team Prishe has it, and I think she learns it pretty early). Scares away the second enemy in a BMS, and boss nodes always have the third enemy as the boss.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Skeezy posted:

It looks like this is a rebrand of Project Flare. The original Project Flare website now redirects to the Shinra website. So that's two cloud services in development by SE.

While this may sound redundant, there is a key difference between this and Dive-In. Dive-In is meant for consumers like other game streaming services, such PS Now. Project Flare (now Shinra Technologies) is a business-to-business service for developers that allows them to use a powerful processing network to handle processor intensive tasks such as physics, AI, and special visual effects. Flare was a joint Canadian initiative between Eidos Montreal and Ubisoft. It's why Ubisoft is mentioned on the Shinra website.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The credits roll for Curtain Call is pretty rad.

And for the party stuff I stuck with one group to clear a fair amount of Quest Medleys, makes it easier to down bosses on the higher difficulties. Also there's a weird prestige mode, idk if that was in the first game or not.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
How much homosexual subtext will there be in FFXV? Tons?

But seriously, I hope there's a female character to play as because I really enjoy watching girls beating up the poo poo out of giant monsters and gods.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Man, I gotta say, literally the ONLY complaint I have about Curtain Call is that the preorder didn't come with one of the large, customizable styluses like the first one did.

I carried that thing fuckin' EVERYWHERE until I lost it (I think at the WI state fair?) and it was the saddest thing. I've made due with the normal 3ds stylus since, but that thing just felt SO drat GOOD. I still have the stickersheet with all the faces unused, it taunts me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

How much homosexual subtext will there be in FFXV? Tons?

But seriously, I hope there's a female character to play as because I really enjoy watching girls beating up the poo poo out of giant monsters and gods.

Sadly unless Stella joins we're pretty much confirmed that isn't happening, which really kinda sucks.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I still hold out hope for Surprise Agni, personally. Though I'm starting to suspect it won't happen since she wasn't in this trailer either.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

SpaceDrake posted:

I still hold out hope for Surprise Agni, personally. Though I'm starting to suspect it won't happen since she wasn't in this trailer either.

Agni won't exist because we already have a character whose name is literally "fire". Unless her name is now Vulcan or whatever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly unless Stella joins we're pretty much confirmed that isn't happening, which really kinda sucks.

Yeah, not gonna lie, not having a female party member is really off-putting. It's not gonna make me single-handedly not buy the game, but it's definitely in the 'minus' checklist.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The pretty boy squad owns.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, not gonna lie, not having a female party member is really off-putting. It's not gonna make me single-handedly not buy the game, but it's definitely in the 'minus' checklist.

I too judge games solely on the genders of my party members and whether or not they include token representations of my gender

oh wait no I dont because im not an idiot

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DrPaper posted:

I too judge games solely on the genders of my party members and whether or not they include token representations of my gender

oh wait no I dont because im not an idiot

Please explain to me what's ridiculous about wanting women party members in a Final Fantasy game, something that's such a low bar to meet that basically every other Final Fantasy game that's ever been released has managed to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

God I hope the pretty boy troop is what the final party is. Rake in the fan girl dough, S-E.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 19, 2014