Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DrPaper posted:

I too judge games solely on the genders of my party members and whether or not they include token representations of my gender

oh wait no I dont because im not an idiot

I'm male, and I specifically stated that I wasn't judging it based entirely on it not having a female party member.

But sure, feel free to attack that strawwoman if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DrPaper posted:

I too judge games solely on the genders of my party members and whether or not they include token representations of my gender

oh wait no I dont because im not an idiot

Posted from deep inside the locker I'm currently stuffed in.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 19, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Please explain to me what's ridiculous about wanting women party members in a Final Fantasy game, something that's such a low bar to meet that basically every other Final Fantasy game that's ever been released has managed to do it.

judging an entire games content based on the gender of your party members is pretty triviliazing of that gender

id rather have well written characters of any race or gender, than someone shoved in to fill a quota

the last 3 games were very female focused, I dont see why having a focus on a group of guy friends on a road trip for the next one, which is a unique perspective to take the series needs to have a female shoved into it just because. Im not against such a character appearing, but decrying the game because of it is pretty stupid. I dont feel excluded because there's no female party member. I'd feel more upset if there was a token stereotypical girl thrown in for no reason, or as a love interest for these traveling bros to fight over.

That's just me, not sure how you males feel about it though.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I am all for more female characters in video games. Whenever there's an option, like in MMOs or whatever, I always pick a female avatar because that often creates a different dynamic in the party or with other NPCs. That said, I am also okay with FFXV having an all-male cast (even if I doubt it will stay that way for the entire game), since, well, that is also pretty unique as far as JRPG character dynamics go. I don't think there's ever been a JRPG like that, ever. I'd be interested in seeing how that would work for sure.

Terper fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 19, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Terper posted:

I don't think there's ever been a JRPG like that, ever. I'd be interested in seeing how that woulf work for sure.

Final Fantasy 1 NES :colbert:

E; well ~maybe~ you could argue for the black mage but

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

judging an entire games content based on the gender of your party members is pretty triviliazing of that gender

No it isn't, especially when literally every Final Fantasy (except X-2) until this point has had a fairly equal-gendered cast and when male characters significantly outweigh female characters in representation in most games.

DrPaper posted:

I'd feel more upset if there was a token stereotypical girl thrown in for no reason, or as a love interest for these traveling bros to fight over.

That character is already in the game, she just doesn't appear to be playable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 19, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There is probably a dozen or so games on Sisterhood grouping, so I'm all for a bro-out that's set on a roadtrip which is basically the last thing anyone thinks about for JRPGs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Most people always thought of the White Mage as a girl even before the remakes, though in that version the upgraded classes for both mages look like dudes.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

We had a game that was basically "The adventures of Yuna and her Gal Pals", and personally I thought it was a fun refreshing take, didn't take itself seriously and had a very different feel from the rest of the series. It did not need a male cast member thrown in there, and it did not get one.

It would also be cool for the same to be done with a bunch of dudes going around doing dude things. This is not something to get angry over, or judge the game on.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DrPaper posted:

id rather have well written characters of any race or gender, than someone shoved in to fill a quota

the last 3 games were very female focused, I dont see why having a focus on a group of guy friends on a road trip for the next one, which is a unique perspective to take the series needs to have a female shoved into it just because. Im not against such a character appearing, but decrying the game because of it is pretty stupid. I dont feel excluded because there's no female party member. I'd feel more upset if there was a token stereotypical girl thrown in for no reason, or as a love interest for these traveling bros to fight over.

That's just me, not sure how you males feel about it though.

Why are the only two options 'no women' and 'a token woman shoved in to fill a quota', though? Final Fantasy games have been overall pretty good about having female characters as interesting and well-characterized as the men in the same games and I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed that a new one would be lacking that.

Like, unless XV ends up being about maleness as a theme(which could be interesting but seems unlikely) I don't see how 'guy friends on a road trip' would be a more unique perspective than 'friends on a road trip'.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If that lady joins us based on how fast we can get that dude to his date that would own

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tae posted:

There is probably a dozen or so games on Sisterhood grouping, so I'm all for a bro-out that's set on a roadtrip which is basically the last thing anyone thinks about for JRPGs.

Gamwhiz1 posted:

We had a game that was basically "The adventures of Yuna and her Gal Pals", and personally I thought it was a fun refreshing take, didn't take itself seriously and had a very different feel from the rest of the series. It did not need a male cast member thrown in there, and it did not get one.

It would also be cool for the same to be done with a bunch of dudes going around doing dude things. This is not something to get angry over, or judge the game on.

X-2 was great, though I can't think of anything else, let alone 'a dozen or so'.

Like I said, this isn't a dealbreaker for me or anything. I'm just annoyed that basically all of the main characters appear to be male, because FF has generally been good with gender balance, what with the half-male, half-female parties we've had for the last few mainline games.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm gonna preface this by saying I haven't kept completely up to date on everything FFXV related, but is it not possible that there would be more playable characters - including females - and they just haven't revealed everything about that just yet?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Has anything been said one way or the other about the gender representation in XV? I think it's best to hold judgments until we get some sort of word on that. I mean, we've seen more than four protags, right? I'd assume you'd be able to switch people out. Besides, remember that huge stink on Deep Down that turned out to be a rumor or some poo poo?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Brother Entropy posted:

Like, unless XV ends up being about maleness as a theme(which could be interesting but seems unlikely) I don't see how 'guy friends on a road trip' would be a more unique perspective than 'friends on a road trip'.

Why is it unlikely? And are you seriously asking if there's a difference between having 1 girl there and having all of them being guys? Because it's a big difference.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I'm gonna preface this by saying I haven't kept completely up to date on everything FFXV related, but is it not possible that there would be more playable characters - including females - and they just haven't revealed everything about that just yet?

So far they've said that the boy band team are the playable characters. Stella (the 'date' woman) is actually supposed to be an antagonist/villain although that doesn't mean she can't potentially join later in the game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well, there's this image:

That's 2 out of 12 characters they feel important enough to advertise to us as female, maybe 3 if mysterious hood there is a girl. Even assuming that all of them join us, which is unlikely considering that it features a bunch of characters who aren't party members, that's 4 male party members and 3 females.

It's not impossible, certainly, but nothing they've released so far is raising my hopes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hellioning posted:

Well, there's this image:

That's 2 out of 12 characters they feel important enough to advertise to us as female, maybe 3 if mysterious hood there is a girl. Even assuming that all of them join us, which is unlikely considering that it features a bunch of characters who aren't party members, That's 4 male party members and 3 females.

It's not impossible, certainly, but nothing they've released so far is raising my hopes.

Those are supposedly the heroes and antagonists. The ones with their left side shown are all either confirmed villains or likely villains. The right-side are all playable heroes + the main character's dad who is almost certainly gonna bite it an hour into the game.

Antagonist, as mentioned above, doesn't mean they won't join you later.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Those are supposedly the heroes and antagonists. The ones with their left side shows are all either confirmed villains or likely villains. The right-side are all playable heroes + the main character's dad who is almost certainly gonna bite it an hour into the game.

Antagonist, as mentioned above, doesn't mean they won't join you later.

Well, if that's the case, than everyone on the protagonist side is male.

True, it does mean they won't join you later, and I guess it would be a spoiler to show them fighting together if that was the case.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

Why are the only two options 'no women' and 'a token woman shoved in to fill a quota', though? Final Fantasy games have been overall pretty good about having female characters as interesting and well-characterized as the men in the same games and I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed that a new one would be lacking that.

Why can't there be a "guy friends on a road trip" perspective? Why does there have to be a woman in it. Why is it inherently bad to be about 'guy friends on a modern road trip', which hasn't really been done as the plot of an JRPG? It's very clear, by the fact that it's the game they're making, they have a story they want to tell with these guys. I don't see any negative to the story or gameplay by not featuring a female playable character in the story this game is choosing to tell. The game has women in it, they're still valid as a character even if they're not playable.

I just don't get why a bunch of male gamers feel the need to defend my gender over a JRPG game so adamantly and treat the choice as a detriment. You can be disappointed on a personal level, but I don't see why this is being treated as an objective "bad thing".

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tae posted:

Why is it unlikely? And are you seriously asking if there's a difference between having 1 girl there and having all of them being guys? Because it's a big difference.

I'm asking if the choice to have all the playable characters be dudes will actually mean something unique about the story itself or if it could've easily been a good mix of men and women like every other Final Fantasy is and they just chose not to for some reason.

...of course that's not exactly a question any of us can answer right now, so shrug, I'll just drop it for now. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrPaper posted:

I just don't get why a bunch of male gamers feel the need to defend my gender over a JRPG game so adamantly and treat the choice as a detriment.

Because one of my dear friends who loves Final Fantasy games is honestly pretty upset that she can't play as a character of her own gender in a franchise she loves and which she has traditionally been able to do in every entry in the franchise to date. You may be fine with it but that doesn't mean everyone is.

The argument of "well, maybe they wanted to tell a story about guys?" would be a lot more meaningful if the huge bulk of video games were not stories either about guys, nor is Final Fantasy XV likely to be a Story About Guys considering what we know about it.

Like, if they make Stella playable (which I don't think is impossible), are you going to argue they ruined this story about guys on a road trip?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 19, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Why is everyone on Something Awful a bunch of whiny babies about trivial poo poo like whether or not someone in a Japanese anime videogame is a girl or not. Does it really matter? I don't care either way, I'm buying their games anyway.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DrPaper posted:

Why can't there be a "guy friends on a road trip" perspective? Why does there have to be a woman in it. Why is it inherently bad to be about 'guy friends on a modern road trip', which hasn't really been done as the plot of an JRPG? It's very clear, by the fact that it's the game they're making, they have a story they want to tell with these guys. I don't see any negative to the story or gameplay by not featuring a female playable character in the story this game is choosing to tell. The game has women in it, they're still valid as a character even if they're not playable.

I just don't get why a bunch of male gamers feel the need to defend my gender over a JRPG game so adamantly and treat the choice as a detriment.

Because I prefer using female characters in JRPGs, and would prefer to see more female characters in a role that isn't 'love interest'?

No, it's not going to hurt the gameplay or anything. I've specifically stated it's not gonna decide my purchasing decisions. I'm not sure why everyone is freaking out over this.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Gamwhiz1 posted:

Sure about that?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Sometimes I like to play as a girl because it gives me a lil' boner.

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

Himuro posted:

Sure about that?

P sure, unless she grows up into the butchest woman ever/Bahamut has a weird genderbender fetish

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Sure about that?

The White Mage is deliberately androgynous so it can function either way. In the Dawn of Souls port it is the only character whose default name pool contains both male and female names.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
girls rule

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm still really disappointed that Lightning's hair ended up being pink and not the brown they originally had, it looked a lot better. She's still cool though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm still really disappointed that Lightning's hair ended up being pink and not the brown they originally had, it looked a lot better. She's still cool though.

I really never liked the pink hair, it looks really weird and out of place on the super-realistic model. It really stands out in LR where they have a plot point about "rose-colored hair" when everyone else has regular hair colors.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think the more important thing to keep in mind here is that so far all FF XV character designs look stupid, boring, and nearly identical except for age and hair color, and the character writing will likely make you pine for the depth and complexity of Lightning.

Why couldn't you have just made a game about Sazh, Square?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd like to see Stella's roadtrip to her date. Or King Regis' roadtrip on the lam from the guys that want to off him.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Given how girl-centric XIII trilogy, I kind of don't WANT a female party member in FFXV. i'm completely fine with it being a sausage fest, and I'm not sure why people have such a problem with that given that the last three single player FF games have starred women. And I say this as a trans chick, too. I just simply don't care or see why it matters in this case. It's not like the series doesn't have a history of female leads, so why the issue when invariably, the next entry will more than likely star a woman?

ImpAtom posted:

The White Mage is deliberately androgynous so it can function either way. In the Dawn of Souls port it is the only character whose default name pool contains both male and female names.

Never knew that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

It's not like the series doesn't have a history of female leads, so why the issue when invariably, the next entry will more than likely star a woman?

Well, for one, at the rate S-E is going, the next numbered entry will be released sometime in 2040!

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

I think the more important thing to keep in mind here is that so far all FF XV character designs look stupid, boring, and nearly identical except for age and hair color, and the character writing will likely make you pine for the depth and complexity of Lightning.

Why couldn't you have just made a game about Sazh, Square?

I really enjoy the character designs. It's nice to see FF characters wear normal, relatable clothes again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I really never liked the pink hair, it looks really weird and out of place on the super-realistic model. It really stands out in LR where they have a plot point about "rose-colored hair" when everyone else has regular hair colors.

Yeah, pink really just stands out as a bad hair color for character models like that. Even in FFXIII when loving Vanille has the most fire red hair imaginable and Hope's white hair is also notable, but they are not as distracting as hers.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Well, for one, at the rate S-E is going, the next numbered entry will be released sometime in 2040!

:lol: Let's hope not.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I doubt the fantasy road trip stuff will last more than a quarter of the game and i'm hoping that there's going to be more playable characters. Just because I like having lots of PC's to choose from in case any of them annoy me.

Although, I will not complain if the entire game is a road-trip because that would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like Lightning's hair, it is very how you say "moé"