Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Finlander posted:

And right now, the stakes are that there are literally thousands being murdered in Ukraine in horrific ways, in an illegal proxy war the likes of which haven't been seen in decades, which will continue unless Putin backs down and Ukraine is given the means to fight off the terrorists that he had sent in. If you honestly think that Ukraine can do either of these by itself, then you are an absolute tool. The world HAS to put pressure on Putin, because if he thinks he can get away with it, he'll take anything he wants and kills anyone he wants.

Sanctions are pretty much the only thing the rest of the world can do that won't cause the crisis to spill over into other areas, and quite frankly, the rest of the world doesn't care about Ukraine enough to go to war with Russia over it, or start a proxy war over it. We will continue to put pressure on Putin as we have thus far, and if he re-invades or steps up his support of the terrorists, we'll probably put more economic pressure on him. But the cavalry is not going to be riding in over the status of Luhansk, because having a peaceful and constructive relationship with Russia simply matters more to the rest of the world. It's not moral, it's not "right," but them's the facts - this is realpolitik.

quote:

And you're a hundred times more the idiot if you think even for a second that Putin won't continue to escalate regardless of US/NATO action. We already know that he has absolutely no care for any losses, be they economical, diplomatic, or human,

I don't think we know that at all. In fact, I dispute this. I think Putin's game in Ukraine has lasted up to this point because the potential benefits outweighed the likely costs to him. Now it doesn't look like he's going to gain much more by re-invading or anything, and I doubt he's going to invade any other countries bordering Russia as long as they don't try to join NATO (and aren't already part of NATO obviously).

I mean, if you can show me evidence that Putin isn't a rational actor, and will continue to act aggressively regardless of whether or not he's likely to gain anything out of it, I'd be willing to discuss it with you. But right now, it looks to me like he's playing a very rational game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Is Putin really a rational actor? I doubt that he is in the long term. (long term = several decades)

Also: who does he act for? The Russian people? Or just his friends?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Is Putin really a rational actor? I doubt that he is in the long term. (long term = several decades)

I think he thinks he acts for the Russian people, but he primarily acts for the State as an entity - the Russian government. Everything he does as President seems to be in line with the long pattern of historical Russian rulers.

He's definitely in it to enrich his friends, too, but people have complicated motives. I don't think one can say it's just one or the other for anybody, and I don't think one can say it for Putin himself.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Doesn't he basically act for what he thinks, Russia should be? Old school nationalism and all that? It's about how Russia, as an entity is seen by the outside powers and other countries, favourably, feared?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

skipThings posted:

Doesn't he basically act for what he thinks, Russia should be? Old school nationalism and all that? It's about how Russia, as an entity is seen by the outside powers and other countries, favourably, feared?

Tips to reading Marjorian posts:

Pretend he's arguing about appeasement of Germany in the 1930s, instead of the appeasement of Russia in the 2010s.

Certainly the world will be better off if that pesky League of Nations stopped spooking Germany and just let them have whatever they wanted!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Those are good points. And it is important to keep in mind that Putin is actually trying to do the best for Russia under his given constraints. Also what he thinks is best for Russia is certainly not 100% identical with what is good for the Russian people.

On the other hand... DEATH TO PUTIN! DEATH TO THE SEPARATISTS!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Nill posted:

You want to talk provocation, Russia just bought PBR. Nothing is safe.

Finally, a boycott that I'll take part in and actually be hurt by. Colt 45, too! Next you'll tell me they're buying Thunderbird. (As a completely classless broke drinker, I assure you I'm not being sarcastic in the least)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

Tips to reading Marjorian posts:

Pretend he's arguing about appeasement of Germany in the 1930s, instead of the appeasement of Russia in the 2010s.

:godwin:

The difference between Hitler and Putin is, Hitler was clearly driven by a utopian ideology that called for more conquest than just the Sudetenland. There was plenty of evidence that he wouldn't stop there, and since his economy and military was resurgent, there wasn't much to stop him. In contrast, there is nothing ideological or utopian about Putin, and his economy is not in a particularly great spot. It's unlikely that he will continue to act aggressively, at least in the short-term. It's ridiculous to compare the two cases. Shame on you for making such a stupid post.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Those are good points. And it is important to keep in mind that Putin is actually trying to do the best for Russia under his given constraints. Also what he thinks is best for Russia is certainly not 100% identical with what is good for the Russian people.

On the other hand... DEATH TO PUTIN! DEATH TO THE SEPARATISTS!

I do think these two viewpoints aren't mutually exclusive, although I also think taking Putin out would just mean someone worse would replace him.

\/\/\/\/\/please do\/\/\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 20, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Send all hipsters to Russian gulags! Problem solved.

Majorian posted:

The difference between Hitler and Putin is, Hitler was clearly driven by a utopian ideology that called for more conquest than just the Sudetenland. There was plenty of evidence that he wouldn't stop there, and since his economy and military was resurgent, there wasn't much to stop him. In contrast, there is nothing ideological or utopian about Putin, and his economy is not in a particularly great spot. It's unlikely that he will continue to act aggressively, at least in the short-term. It's ridiculous to compare the two cases. Shame on you for making such a stupid post.

I do think these two viewpoints aren't mutually exclusive, although I also think taking Putin out would just mean someone worse would replace him.

I honestly wouldn't be to sure about that.
putin is human after all.

Edit: DEMOCRACY AND RULE OF LAW TO RUSSIA! would be better than DEATH TO PUTIN but even more unrealistic. :smith:

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 20, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Majorian posted:

I'm going to read this now like you're arguing that Germany will stop its expansion as soon as we let them have just a little more I mean it's not like Napoleon is leading them across Europe!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm going to read this now like you're arguing that Germany will stop its expansion as soon as we let them have just a little more I mean it's not like Napoleon is leading them across Europe!

Well, nobody's arguing that we should let them have a little more of anything, but you go ahead and do that hoss.:byewhore:

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I honestly wouldn't be to sure about that.
putin is human after all.

About him being non-ideological? Eh, there's ideology and then there's ideology. I think he has the same level of ideology that Ivan the Terrible did, ie: the world is a better place when Russia is really strong and feared.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Majorian posted:

About him being non-ideological? Eh, there's ideology and then there's ideology. I think he has the same level of ideology that Ivan the Terrible did, ie: the world is a better place when Russia is really strong and feared.

The tragedy of the whole situation is that Russia could do so much more for Russians (Russia =/= Russian people ofc.) by improving itself than by bullying and suppressing its neighbors.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The tragedy of the whole situation is that Russia could do so much more for Russians (Russia =/= Russian people ofc.) by improving itself than by bullying and suppressing its neighbors.

Doubly so, since attempting to chill out and modernize/westernize means they'd stop getting shifty looks from their neighbors!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, I think they would be on a much better path if they didn't feel they got so screwed over in the 90's. But they're going to have to feel like they're not in danger of getting overrun by the West if they're going to start taking on better policies.

Cuntpunch posted:

Doubly so, since attempting to chill out and modernize/westernize means they'd stop getting shifty looks from their neighbors!

They tried this.:ssh:

e: I checked your history in this and the previous thread, and I'm having a hard time finding a post of yours that isn't bleating on about appeasement. If Douglas Feith had a blog, I imagine this is how it would read.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 20, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Majorian posted:

e: I checked your history in this and the previous thread, and I'm having a hard time finding a post of yours that isn't bleating on about appeasement. If Douglas Feith had a blog, I imagine this is how it would read.

And largely your posts are "I'm not saying Russia are good guys, but if you think about it they're the victims in all of this"

vOv Sorry for caring about the lives of innocents and the concern that if we let Russia run rampant then in 15 years we can see the death toll escalate to fix something that we could smother in its cradle right here and now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cuntpunch posted:

And largely your posts are "I'm not saying Russia are good guys, but if you think about it they're the victims in all of this"

Nope, I've actually said "Putin and his government are the bad guys" pretty frequently.

quote:

vOv Sorry for caring about the lives of innocents and the concern that if we let Russia run rampant

No one's saying we should do that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Nill posted:

PBR is pretty popular in China. Quite possibly a good long term investment.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nill posted:

"And nothing of value was lost."

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Drinking a PBR right now. Some concerns are just beyond geo-pol.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Drinking a PBR right now. Some concerns are just beyond geo-pol.

Apparently those concerns involve a pee-drinking fetish!:v:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Hey, I always look for the union label.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ugh, if that's what unions do, maybe the Tea Party was right all along!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

"Orthodox Jihad"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

"Orthodox Jihad"

Is that a confederate flag on the lower left windshield?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Of Course.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

icantfindaname posted:

It's surely just the Novorossija flag

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Didn't you know? Them boys're the Knyazes of Hazzardskaya Oblast.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Majorian posted:

The idea that a hundred years from now, Ukrainians around Donetsk would drive around with "The East Will Rise Again!" bumper stickers makes me chuckle.

Although to be honest, the more likely outcome will be Western Russians with "Ukraine Will Rise Again!" bumper stickers. Or Poland. poo poo, or Germany the way things have been going.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Majorian posted:

The car is named The General Zhukov.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

Nope, I've actually said "Putin and his government are the bad guys" pretty frequently.
I think maybe people are going by the thrust of your statements in general, not cheap "I totally think the people I've been making excuses for or whose decision-making I've been portraying as much less selfish than it probably is are actually bad guys"-statements.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

No one's saying we should do that.
Don't you have your own thread now to poo poo up with your apologia.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
His thread is dedicated to discussing Russia vs NATO not "things posters in this thread don't agree with". Stop being such a giant baby.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think maybe people are going by the thrust of your statements in general, not cheap "I totally think the people I've been making excuses for or whose decision-making I've been portraying as much less selfish than it probably is are actually bad guys"-statements.

The fact that you can't tell the difference between what one thinks is right and how one thinks things are going to play out doesn't show you to be terribly intellectually mature, just FYI. We can continue to discuss this in the Clancychat thread, though, if you'd like.

e: Also, I did talk about the fact that a quarter of my family were murdered during the Soviet period, to illustrate that I genuinely do emphathize with those who have been oppressed and killed by the Russian government over the centuries. But if that's a cheap excuse to you or whatever, welp, sorry I guess.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 20, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

quote:

Washington (AFP) - Six Russian MiG 35 fighter jets entered a US "air defense identification zone" Friday and were intercepted by American and Canadian warplanes near Alaska, two US defense officials said.

Although Russian aircraft have entered the zone previously it was "the first time in a long time" that fighter jets passed through the area, a defense official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told AFP.

The Russian planes left the area without incident, he said.

The weird thing to me is that the MIG 35 isn't suppose to be out of the prototype stage yet, maybe they meant SU-35s or the Russians have kept that project under very tight wraps.

Edit: Nevermind, I check another story and they had completely different aircraft, they just goofed.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-canadian-jets-intercept-8-russian-aircraft-232846452.html

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 20, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

The fact that you can't tell the difference between what one thinks is right and how one thinks things are going to play out doesn't show you to be terribly intellectually mature, just FYI. We can continue to discuss this in the Clancychat thread, though, if you'd like.
Your strict adherence to neorealism or whatever to the exclusion of pretty much everything else makes that difference much less relevant than you might think. At least the way you're arguing it basically seems to come down to "Is there any risk to us involved in this action? Well, gently caress it then, those other people who would gain immensely from us taking a small risk should just learn to live with being at the mercy of the Russians" Being completely unwilling to risk any sort of confrontation when you have the power to improve the lives of millions is a moral position.

Of course this is made even worse by your interpretation seeming to consistently favor the (official) Russian interpretation, as well as your weird desire to portray Putin as being essentially at the mercy of public opinion in Russia instead of also a driver of it, which makes any risk-reward balancing suspect.

Majorian posted:

e: Also, I did talk about the fact that a quarter of my family were murdered during the Soviet period, to illustrate that I genuinely do emphathize with those who have been oppressed and killed by the Russian government over the centuries. But if that's a cheap excuse to you or whatever, welp, sorry I guess.
Sorry, I must have missed that. Doesn't change your arguments though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being completely unwilling to risk any sort of confrontation when you have the power to improve the lives of millions is a moral position.

This is the crux of your argument, and it's where you're the most wrong. The US and NATO getting directly involved in this crisis would provoke a greater response from Russia, which would make most Ukrainian lives a lot worse. The reason why I oppose NATO intervention isn't because I don't empathize with the Ukrainian people; it's because I know that the US' and its allies' capacity to make this situation better is limited. Working indirectly, through sanctions and diplomacy, has a greater chance of saving Ukrainian lives and getting them partially out from under the Russian boot.

quote:

Sorry, I must have missed that. Doesn't change your arguments though.

No, but maybe it will change yours, because I do empathize with the Ukrainian people, more than you know. It's precisely for that reason that I don't want to turn the country into a battleground for a proxy war.

e: Let's take this to the other thread, if you want to continue it.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 20, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Major explosion at the factory in Donetsk, no details at the moment
According to some sources, it was a mining equipment plant

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The third humanitarian aid convoy from Russia to Ukraine has arrived in Donetsk. I hope they have another Matryoshka truck!

https://twitter.com/Kosarev_RT/status/513286272342061056

People are posting pictures online concerned they are seeing some sort of chemical agent reaction.

quote:

Conflict Reporter ‏@Conflict_Report 47m
Whatever rains down there, seems to react with the woodland ground.
Hold windows close!!! pic.twitter.com/y5MNyA1eh1

Weird photobomb.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 20, 2014

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

fatherboxx posted:

Major explosion at the factory in Donetsk, no details at the moment
According to some sources, it was a mining equipment plant

What kind of mining equipment makes a fireball that big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

This is the crux of your argument, and it's where you're the most wrong. The US and NATO getting directly involved in this crisis would provoke a greater response from Russia, which would make most Ukrainian lives a lot worse. The reason why I oppose NATO intervention isn't because I don't empathize with the Ukrainian people; it's because I know that the US' and its allies' capacity to make this situation better is limited.
It's really no surprise that a lot of people are calling you out, if everybody is "getting you wrong" maybe you should try to figure out what is making people think that?

I've been reading your posts on both threads and despite your occasional statements that "Putin is the bad guy" the actual content of your posts boils down to:
«My neighbor slaps his wife and kids every night but we shouldn't say anything because it will only escalate things and he'll start belting them and it will be all your fault because everybody knew that would happen. Furthermore he is right to feel jealous and paranoid, he is an unemployed drunkard and just the other day she was at the grocery store and she was talking with one of the neighbors who dresses very snazzy and has a brand new sportscar. In fact this is all that neighbors fault, he should know better than to talk to another man's wife, what did he expect would happen next? For years now these yuppie neighbors have provoked him, strutting around in their fancy clothes trying to seduce his wife. She says it was just innocent talk but that could easily change at any moment and suddenly he'd find himself a cuckold so even if I don't support him I can totally understand why he is doing it. None of this would have happened if they had been more considerate of his legitimate fears and desires.
Oh no, he's a total rear end in a top hat, I've said that many times. It's just that in the end this is all the neighbors fault, they knew how he was, if they didn't want him to beat his wife why do they keep provoking him? And now they are talking about escalating this whole thing further by maybe calling the cops? For shame! Will these provocations know no end?»

quote:

Working indirectly, through sanctions and diplomacy, has a greater chance of saving Ukrainian lives and getting them partially out from under the Russian boot.
Then why have you spoken against sanctions as just another form of escalation?

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread