Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I love that the Doctor totally doesn't trust himself in this scene.

"It probably wont kill us."

*squeezes up against wall and tightly shuts his eyes.

Also is it just me or is there a lot of squeezing through vents this series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
This season has a lot of what the show has been lacking since the end of season 5: fun. Some of the plots may not stand up to the highest degree of scrutiny, but they're fun little romps nonetheless.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Heft posted:

And it's difficult to think the Doctor would have so misunderstood what the "escape plan" devices were - and also how did the two get back into the bank, much less disguised as those two guards

This I dont have a problem with; He designed the devices to look like suicide devices to fool himself. If the other robbers had known they were teleport devices they might have been tempted to use them to just leave, or when the situation was savable. Similarly I would assume a ship that could teleport them up would teleport them back down, she touches an isolated guard to duplicate him and bops him on the head, steals his uniform, repeat to get second uniform. While you would think that they would have systems in place that, for example, set off an alarm when someone is knocked out I personally am willing to accept that there is a limit to how impossible to beat the security at a fictional bank can be allowed to be when you are writing a story about beating the security.

Edit: I skipped a whole bunch of pages after the last episode aired, did anyone mention that the TV reviewer in the Metro thought that last week implied that Danny Pink was a future incarnation of the doctor because the young doctor was given the toy soldier and because he hadnt been paying attention?

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 21, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This is alright. It's been a long time since we've had a real episode where the Doctor teams up with a motley crew of peoples who hint at a larger, crazier universe.

And the briefing had that weird Saw vibe to it, and I gotta be honest, the episodes that look like the Doctor somehow landed in a different production and started Doctor'ing it up with his wizardry are sort of favorites to me. I like them more than the episodes of recurring allies and enemies, anyway.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Teek posted:

So did the Doctor's delivery of the Pisa joke read to anyone else like it was harkening back to the Fourth Doctor specifically? I thought it was a nice throwback if so, since Capaldi is a big Tom Baker fan.

Yeah he's got a bit of Four but this ep really gave a Seven vibe to me, the way he designed the scenario to manipulate everyone. I thought it was a good ep but again like the last ep it's self-contained. More of a universe-building ep that might have foreshadowing with hindsight. Are the devices a hint that people are being teleported instead of killed?

His interactions with Clara are different this week though: last week it felt as if he was snapping at her to dominate her, this week it seems like he's either forgotten all he ever knew about humans or never knew in the first place and is genuinely confused but thinks out loud a lot more than before.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Teek posted:

So did the Doctor's delivery of the Pisa joke read to anyone else like it was harkening back to the Fourth Doctor specifically? I thought it was a nice throwback if so, since Capaldi is a big Tom Baker fan.

Capaldi's been reminding me of the Fourth Doctor since the very beginning of Deep Breath... but honestly, I think it's largely just the similarly low timbre of his voice that gives me that impression.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Smith's still my favorite Doctor, but Capaldi's coming close to making it a tie. I knew he'd be great, but I didn't expect it all to happen so fast.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

This season has a lot of what the show has been lacking since the end of season 5: fun. Some of the plots may not stand up to the highest degree of scrutiny, but they're fun little romps nonetheless.

No fun episodes since S5?

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?
Closing Time?
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe?
Day of the Doctor?
Robot of Sherwood? (Still didn't like it, but if you just wanted "fun", there you go.)

True, not that many, but they would all fit into at least the "fun" category.

Edit:

Rochallor posted:

I really liked the cyberpunks in this episode. Wouldn't mind seeing them again. Apparently I remain the only person on the face of the earth to remain a fan of the Paternosters, so between the cyberpunks, Paternosters, and Cleopatra and the hunter guy from that one episode, there have been a lot of nice part-time companions.

Nope, you're not the only one. They're sometimes not used the best, but the fact that they are/could-be a semi-constant is a nice change of pace from constant-companion-constant-companion-GONE-never-seen-again that we usually get. True, we've had some returns (Mara, Rose, Donna), so maybe I'm more remembering the original series more, but I do like the fact that we can see, on screen, that the Doctor has a variety of people he can meet up/adventure with, to mix it up a bit.

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 21, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

RunAndGun posted:

No fun episodes since S5?

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship?
Closing Time?
The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe?

Isn't Closing Time smack dab in the middle of 11's abloo bloo tour of the galaxy?

And Robots was this season, hence "this season."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Irish Joe posted:

Isn't Closing Time smack dab in the middle of 11's abloo bloo tour of the galaxy?

Why does that matter, the entire episode is still a light-hearted romp. Bits of it were great and other bits of it were awful, but it was still an episode primarily concerned with being fun.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

And Robots was this season, hence "this season."

(e;f;b :argh:)
True for Robots, but Closing Time - big picture, yeah, but I was looking within the episode itself. It you took it at just face value, its just a "fun" episode. (Pity Cybermen didn't do much except just be there. I hate it when "good" Villians are wasted like that. Anyways.)

On another topic - when they first mentioned the Architect in this episode, anyone have a brief flashback to the Great Architect from Paradise Towers? (For a second or two there, I was wondering if there was going to be a connection made.)

RunAndGun fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 21, 2014

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

RunAndGun posted:

On another topic - when they first mentioned the Architect in this episode, anyone have a brief flashback to the Great Architect from Paradise Towers? (For a second or two there, I was wondering if there was going to be a connection made.)

You're not the only one whose mind jumped to that. This time the Architect actually was the Doctor, though!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Is it just me or was the Bank P.A. voice the Narrator from the Stanley Parable?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Episode was pretty good. Not bad, not fantastic.

How much of it did Moffat? His name was on the script but it didn't feel like it was overloaded with his signature writing tics.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Is it just me or was the Bank P.A. voice the Narrator from the Stanley Parable?

It is, and I noticed it almost immediately. Wish they would have used his sarcasm a bit more. "Congratulations Doctor, you have opened the secure vault. Arn't you happy now, that you ruined our bank's security. "

Solvency fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 21, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thexerox123 posted:

Capaldi's been reminding me of the Fourth Doctor since the very beginning of Deep Breath... but honestly, I think it's largely just the similarly low timbre of his voice that gives me that impression.

His face helps. He does the open-mouthed stare followed by a huge grin pretty often.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's another "probably doesn't hold up if you think about it too closely" episode, but it carried itself pretty well on charm and action, and I liked the two new kids (and wouldn't mind seeing them again). Agree that the budget probably wasn't up to making The Greatest Bank In The Galaxy look like anything of the kind, and that's a bit of a shame, but it sounded very much like the bank made its name with a combination of intense screening of everyone who arrived on-planet, a guilt-sensing telepathic alien and utter ruthlessness at dealing with anyone they caught (all of which we did see), so I don't mind so much not seeing elaborate sci-fi locks or whatever.

It's the first episode this year where Clara didn't have a lot to do, but that's probably my only real criticism. Come to that, isn't she meant to be insanely good with computers? I guess that's rarely been touched on since, but it feels like it should have been relevant here.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

docbeard posted:

It's the first episode this year where Clara didn't have a lot to do, but that's probably my only real criticism. Come to that, isn't she meant to be insanely good with computers? I guess that's rarely been touched on since, but it feels like it should have been relevant here.

I'm not sure if that stuck. It only really came up in The Bells of St. John.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

At the end of that episode they did a "restore default settings" thing so maybe that purged her of any new information provided to her when she was hooked up to the system.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Overall I'm liking this season, but not loving it. Nothing's passed the Rewatch Test for me. That's when I like an episode so much that I immediately (or as close to as immediately as possible) rewatch it. There were a ton of Smith episodes like that for me. Off the top of my head, I think The Eleventh Hour, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut (though not Day of the Moon, oddly enough), The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes to War, and of course, Day of the Doctor. Tennant had a few, Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, Turn Left, Blink, Human Nature and Family of Blood. For all that I enjoyed Eccleston in the role, none of his episodes passed the Rewatch Test for me, and sadly, neither have any of Capaldi's so far.

That isn't to say that I've disliked this season per say, just that nothing's really grabbed me yet. Time Heist was fine. It was reasonably entertaining, but nothing that made me sit up and take notice. Good Who, moving on. I just hope that somewhere in this season I can find an episode that passes the Test, ya know?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

jng2058 posted:

Overall I'm liking this season, but not loving it. Nothing's passed the Rewatch Test for me. That's when I like an episode so much that I immediately (or as close to as immediately as possible) rewatch it. There were a ton of Smith episodes like that for me. Off the top of my head, I think The Eleventh Hour, The Pandorica Opens, The Big Bang, A Christmas Carol, The Impossible Astronaut (though not Day of the Moon, oddly enough), The Doctor's Wife, A Good Man Goes to War, and of course, Day of the Doctor. Tennant had a few, Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, Turn Left, Blink, Human Nature and Family of Blood. For all that I enjoyed Eccleston in the role, none of his episodes passed the Rewatch Test for me, and sadly, neither have any of Capaldi's so far.

That isn't to say that I've disliked this season per say, just that nothing's really grabbed me yet. Time Heist was fine. It was reasonably entertaining, but nothing that made me sit up and take notice. Good Who, moving on. I just hope that somewhere in this season I can find an episode that passes the Test, ya know?

I go by the same test, and personally Into the Dalek, Listen, and Time Heist were all re-watches for me. Last series, I think only Hide piqued my interest.

There's also a subtle tone shift this series, and I can't quite put my finger on it, aside from the new Doctor smell.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Worst episode IMO since Night Terrors. Two good jokes maybe, direction was awful, everything looked cheap, Jenna had nothing to do, too many characters and not enough character.

And would it have killed'm to make a Six joke when the Doctor was talking about his old outfits? :mad:

6/10 would not rewatch.

Also BBC America's ads were awful.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That episode was just kind of there. It wasn't bad really, but it seems pretty forgettable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I kept thinking the antagonist was Missy.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Those massive man-sized, floor-level air ducts leading right into the Director's private vault... my immersion!

I thought it was a good episode, all-around. I'm always happy to see episodes with time-travel mechanics that aren't "We can be in the past/future!" The Doctor being the architect and using the Tardis to plant the briefcases was set up well, and everything was nicely foreshadowed and fit into place. Also there were some good joke moments. The abrupt cut from the Doctor holding the telephone to everyone holding the worms to their head like they were phones and freaking out was pretty hilarious.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Republican Vampire posted:

In retrospect, I have a feeling it was only there to explain how "Oswin" was able to gently caress with the Dalek Cloud Server to erase their memories of the Doctor in Asylum before they quietly swept that whole thing under the rug. I could have sworn it came up at least once since then, though.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I noticed when the hacker guy was looking at the records of all the murderers and other criminals, among other noteworthy images, was an image of that Brock Dalekkiller guy from the comics.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Doctor Zero posted:

So this weekend I finally got to meet Paul McGann! :swoon: I can die happy!

He was at the Cincinnati Comic Expo and we got there on Friday hoping to beat the crowds. It was an excellent plan. Very sparse crowds right at the start, so I got enough time to chat a bit and tell him that after listening to all the Big Finish Audios, he is MY doctor. He was really genuinely pleased and maybe a little unaccustomed to hearing it. But then he noticed my shirt:

He did a :aaa: and said to his assistant, "Look at his shirt! I've never seen that! Look! 'The Whos!' ohhh that's brilliant! Look who's in the middle!"

Then I got this pic out of it:

I am a little bummed it ended up a tad blurry, but he was nice enough to let my wife take a couple more straight ones. My wife and I also sprung for the professional pic with him which turned out great, because they green screened us into his TARDIS control room. I would post that, but she'd probably kill me for posting pics of her online.

:swoon:

You lucky so-and-so!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Also BBC America's ads were awful.

Oh good Lord I can't imagine watching Doctor Who with ads :stonk:

The show as written and produced doesn't fit advertising breaks at all and I can't imagine how it must screw with the pacing of ANY episode.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh good Lord I can't imagine watching Doctor Who with ads :stonk:

The show as written and produced doesn't fit advertising breaks at all and I can't imagine how it must screw with the pacing of ANY episode.

It's REALLY jarring. They will pick the appropriate places in terms of story to cut to a commercial, but it doesn't have any of the technical/script lead-up to the cut. It's just "oh, here's silence/a scene transition, let's go to commercial here!"

It's been like this ever since the show was originally on Sci-Fi.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
This Adric kid is making me want to stop watching 5th doctor serials.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brett824 posted:

I had to live through it in real time with a week in-between episodes :cripes:

His final episode was like Christmas came early.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Well, this was a fun episode, but I wish Clara had been given something, anything to do beyond quips and trying really hard not to think.
It did look amazing in terms of the cinematography. I mean, since Moffat's tenure started, the look of the series has gotten so much better, but Into the Dalek, Listen, and Time Heist in particular have had really solid visuals. Also the Teller was a cool beast, and I'm always a sucker for twists where the monster turns out not to be really so bad after all. :3:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That seemed kind of half-baked, and most of the story was just the characters walking down hallways until the monster turned up. The Doctor kept saying he hated the Architect and it rang hollow because there didn't seem to be much reason to hate him, there just wasn't enough setup to make that payoff at the end worth it. The ending reveal of what the heist was actually about was quite sweet though, and it made me laugh that in this incredibly advanced space bank they were keeping the alien chained up in a dungeon with straw all over the floor.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Brett824 posted:

The payoff is worth it.

I was glad to have a goofy sci-fi romp of an episode, which is an itch the new season hadn't quite scratched yet. Cool monster and a nice (if somewhat predictable) ending, likable characters, a solid entry.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brett824 posted:

Adric was a major factor in why I stopped watching the old show when I did, and I wound up I skipping over the bulk of Davison and C Baker. Throwing a teenager on a show for the kids in the audience to "identify with" is always a disaster (hi, Wesley!).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Things I Forgot To Mention:

• Certain parts of this episode felt like an Eleventh Doctor script adapted for Capaldi. The speech where the Doctor encourages the party to take a risk for "the thing you want more than anything else in the universe" and the "don't think about anything" peptalk had that whimsical fantasy feel of an Eleven rant.

• This is a second episode in a row where we've seen Clara gently caress up her concentrating and cause consequences for someone: Danny in the past episode, and the Adam Jensen wannabe guy here.

• I would not mind seeing that guy, or another augmented human, appear in the future. It was kind of interesting but also paints parallels to the Cybermen, and a "what makes us different" episode might be painful to watch, because all Cybermen episodes are, but I'd still try it out.

• And lastly, I'm a gay dude but Coleman's fashion this episode was eye catching (though I'm one of those douchebags who doesn't like women in heels because double-standards rant here.)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I had fun watching with friends, but it felt like the worst episode of this series so far. And I hate who ever mentioned that the editing was choppy, because now I can't unsee it and it's was a little jarring this go around. Specifically the scene where one moment they are standing around talking in a room and then all of a sudden they are climbing down some pipes in a boiler room.

Still loving Capaldi as the Doctor. And I'm wondering where the next episode is heading. They said no flirting or romance, but it seems like he's interested in meddling with Clara's lovelife. But that could be more akin to a child who doesn't want their single parent dating someone new like in Problem Child 2.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The guy with his brain sucked out was chilling, more horrifying than anything in the previous episode. I felt that the ending was in some ways derivative of that one where they are stuck in traffic in New New York but liked it well enough anyway. But why did the Doctor make Clara come along on this one, it was reckless and stupid and almost got her killed. The companions HAD to come along at first because they were living in the Tardis and it would dump them off wherever but they don't have to anymore and she should have sat this one out.

Anyways, I spent a lot of this episode trying to guess the twists and think I turned out okay. I initially thought that the suicide machines were teleporters and it turned out I was right, but had been double-fooled due to thinking that Missy was going to need a body for her pointless season-wide plot. Perhaps she'll snag a brain-slug or bank customer or whatever. My other big guess was a bit more right, I figured that the bank was the architect. However I figured that the Doctor was red teaming for them, that is to say, being paid to test security by breaking in. I didn't foresee the time travel aspect and was totally wrong on the motives.

This post might make it seem like I disliked the episode but I didn't. I liked it a lot, much better than last week's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Cliff Racer posted:

The guy with his brain sucked out was chilling, more horrifying than anything in the previous episode.

I am wondering if any of the writers know what a skull is. (Unless I missed a line about the Teller removing bone too ...)

• Locked thread