Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

There's two things I've been pushing myself to do as of late. Learning to meter properly on the fly, and actually leaning towards color in my concert photos. Here's some of my most recent attempts featuring Dismemberment Plan!

These were taken at the Hideout Block Party. It was kinda dark out, but I figured I'd take advantage of the darkness and get all negative-spacey.

_9069145 by Kiwithing, on Flickr

_9069138 by Kiwithing, on Flickr

_9069139 by Kiwithing, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Got to shoot Iceage tonight.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I have my first group photo show coming up and it's all music photographers in the Portland area that respect each other's work.

The trouble is I have to select 4 photos to show and I'm having a difficult time deciding what I should put in the show.

I was hoping you goons could help me make the decision.

I'm close to having a final decision I guess but still not certain.

These are the four I'm thinking I want to use.

I feel like the Trent Reznor shot and the James Murphy portrait have to stay in but I'm less certain about the

And these are the ones that I'm sort of on the fence about :

Am I an idiot for leaving out any of these other ones rather than the top 4?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Purely my entirely subjective and inexperienced opinions:
Dig it, but the microphone cutting the guy in the background in half is a bit distracting.
YES
YES
This is a concert photo? I don't know who that guy is (I'm a bit of a shut-in, I guess), so to me this photo just looks like a well-lit and decently composed "Out with my friends" shot. If the other photographers you'll be showing your stuff next to are all very familiar with this person, then go for it, I guess.
YES
YES
Pretty good, but the audience is a bit too bright and the performers are swallowing their microphones so it's not, in my mind, up there with some of the other stuff you're showing us.
Again, quite good, but it lacks the energy of some of your other shots.
Very good, but the drummer appears to have a big brass tongue.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
it's a music photography show, sorry, the guy in the photo is James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem. It's catering a little bit to the audience but I know a lot of the other photogs in the show are showing portraits as well and I figured I should throw one in there.

The mic/composition in the first shot bothers me and I wish I could have composed better but I don't know that it bothers me enough to rule the photo out. I just love the energy of that shot too much I think... I might swap that one for the Kendrick Lamar or A-Trak shot though...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is SO loving good; totally incredible. Nice shot, not a pose you commonly see from Trent. Exciting, sense of motion and enjoyment in the audience, sharp, unique. The contrast could not be better, it's loving PERFECT. Love it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
To be brutally honest, the only photo from your selection that I would keep is the Reznor photo because it's well-composed, emotive and a different point of view from regular concert photography. I took a quick peek at your Flickr sets and there were a whole bunch of other photos I would have picked before the ones you did. Several of the photos you selected are either not-so-interesting or sloppy which I find odd because you passed up on photos that are full of energy and emotion and executed well.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

To be brutally honest, the only photo from your selection that I would keep is the Reznor photo because it's well-composed, emotive and a different point of view from regular concert photography. I took a quick peek at your Flickr sets and there were a whole bunch of other photos I would have picked before the ones you did. Several of the photos you selected are either not-so-interesting or sloppy which I find odd because you passed up on photos that are full of energy and emotion and executed well.

Hmmm, i guess part of it is that at the back of my head I'm trying to balance shots that I think are my favorites with shots that my actually sell in a gallery or that are venues that people will recognize locally. I respect your opinion a whole lot HPL so I'd love to hear what you think I would be better served swapping some of these for? I'm only really tied to the Trent one and the portrait for sure being in.

What are your favorites from my flickr?

Nilson
Sep 2, 2011

If it was me, I'd go Reznor and the James Murphy portrait (which by the way is a great shot) + The National and the b/w shot you posted last (The Formidable?)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

MMD3 posted:

Hmmm, i guess part of it is that at the back of my head I'm trying to balance shots that I think are my favorites with shots that my actually sell in a gallery or that are venues that people will recognize locally. I respect your opinion a whole lot HPL so I'd love to hear what you think I would be better served swapping some of these for? I'm only really tied to the Trent one and the portrait for sure being in.

What are your favorites from my flickr?

The thing is that at the end of the day, if you're selling prints, you have to ask yourself: "Would this look good on my wall?" I have a lot of photos that I've taken that I really like, but honestly I wouldn't want them blown up and put on the walls of my home. I know this sounds horrible being a concert photographer, but almost all the prints I ever buy are wildlife and landscapes because that's what I want to decorate my place.

Another thing to ask yourself is that if you didn't know who the artist was, and you weren't at the concert so you didn't have any special memories of the show or the context around it, would the photo still be compelling? The James Murphy portrait doesn't connect with me because I don't know who he is or anything about him other than that he seems like a boring person, according to the photo. If he's a wild man on stage, then a photo like this would be neat in a turn-the-tables kind of way, but again that would be if I was familiar with the subject.

MFNW12_Fri_790 by Kent, J, on Flickr

JoyFormidable_267 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Trentemoller_534 by Kent, J, on Flickr

Joy_Formidable_390 by Kent, J, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

The reason this one is a good pick and your others aren't is because they are lacking energy, passion, or excitement- which I think are pretty vital for a live shot that you're wanting someone else to buy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
LOTT and fun with slow shutter speeds:

Low in black and white and color:

The Apache Relay and one okay shot of Trampled by Turtles from back in the crowd before my battery died.

Hopefully next month I will have a 50mm again.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I actually really like this photo, I just have always felt like the composition is too crowded because I had a prime on my camera when she started smashing her guitar.

Here's LCD Soundsystem (James Murphy)... he's not like crazy crazy onstage, but most people familiar with his music have really enjoyed this portrait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmrOHxS_cK0

I might put the first and second ones you picked in... I had forgotten about the second, the first I like just wasn't sure if enough was happening. The dj's face has some really blown highlights too but hopefully the shot won't be so large as to be distracting.

Thanks for the critiques, I need more of this or I spend too long staring at the wrong photos.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I like the Joy Formidable photo because it has this great sense of "you are there" as opposed to "here is a nice photo". It's raw and spontaneous. It's also very evocative of The Clash's London Calling.

The DJ photo's red highlights may be recoverable depending on how blown out they are. DxO is excellent for recovering blown highlights from LED stage lights.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
I finally shot a concert that's worth posting

1DX_6727 by capacity4action, on Flickr

1DX_6800 by capacity4action, on Flickr

1DX_7223 by capacity4action, on Flickr

1DX_6314 by capacity4action, on Flickr

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Friends and family asked me to do some promo photos for them. They wanted something vaguely lomoesque, because that seems big here at the moment.

Band shoot (15 of 133) by sildargod, on Flickr

Band shoot (125 of 133) by sildargod, on Flickr

Band shoot (87 of 133) by sildargod, on Flickr

They were shot in a pretty run down, dodgy area, which was fun (ohgod those people are leering at my expensive camera equipment! stop loving around guys so we can get out of heeeeeere) and the bassist was incredibly hungover, which added a wonderfully surly attitude to the whole thing.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

I like how playful the first two are. I don't know how I feel about the last one, though. Then again, I'm just some schlub who's never done a band shoot because I'm too afraid to direct people. :v:

What did you do to prep for this shoot? Who scouted the location? How many shots did you end up with before settling on the ones that were keepers? How did you get them to act natural and fun?

(Also for content's sake:)

P9230213 by Kiwithing, on Flickr

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Sharizard posted:

I like how playful the first two are. I don't know how I feel about the last one, though. Then again, I'm just some schlub who's never done a band shoot because I'm too afraid to direct people. :v:

What did you do to prep for this shoot? Who scouted the location? How many shots did you end up with before settling on the ones that were keepers? How did you get them to act natural and fun?

(Also for content's sake:)

P9230213 by Kiwithing, on Flickr

Thanks so much! The last one (I assume the one of them with a tall wall for a backdrop) was picked so that they could overlay text and things in the negative space. There was virtually no prep beyond "Guys, there's a trashy trailer park that could be entertaining to take photos in" and locations were scouted mostly on the fly.
Thankfully they're brilliant fun and work well together, egging one another on to do stupid things, which is probably why they work as a band too.

People direction is a pain, I still need to learn a whole lot more about it, but mostly it's finding your inner bully and harnessing it to prop them in your photo accordingly. Stop schlubbing and do it! It's surprisingly liberating.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've been to two concerts in Portland so far and the concert photography thing here is nowhere near Vancouver. I've been the only photographer at the shows and these were shows with quality touring bands headlining. Usually in Vancouver there's at least two or three photographers at any given show at any given venue. It's kind of nice in a way that there's no competition but at the same time there's no one to nerd out with over camera gear during set changes.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

HPL posted:

I've been to two concerts in Portland so far and the concert photography thing here is nowhere near Vancouver. I've been the only photographer at the shows and these were shows with quality touring bands headlining. Usually in Vancouver there's at least two or three photographers at any given show at any given venue. It's kind of nice in a way that there's no competition but at the same time there's no one to nerd out with over camera gear during set changes.

are you saying I should bring my camera to the show tonight? :colbert:

I typically see 1-3 other photogs out at any given show, not sure what it is about the shows you've been to so far this week.

Check your PM's.

Sharizard
Jun 15, 2009

This probably has a lot to do with the type of venues I frequent, but I don't usually come across other people taking photos at a show. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad. If there's another photographer at the same show I'm at, it usually turns out to be someone affiliated with one band (like a friend / boyfriend / girlfriend of a member) taking photos of just that specific band. I tend to engage others I see taking photos, but most of the time conversation doesn't go past stating what gear they're shooting with.

If this counts, a band that I frequently take photos of has a bassist who's also a professional photographer.

We met at the very first show his band ever performed at in a cool little venue I was a regular at (R.I.P Ultra Lounge). It took me by surprise when he stepped off stage after the show and approached me, because until that moment only lead singers or guitarists ever really initiated things with me.

He started going on about the pleasures of photography, gave me some pro tips, and we traded contact info. He said to look at his "kinda lovely photos" online, which I did the night before I started editing the photos I've taken at that show. They were way better than anything I could ever produce. Turned out he makes a living doing commercial photography.

I became pretty nervous about sending him any of the photos I've taken from that point on. Eventually, I became comfortable with the fact that I'm just a scrub, and started picking his brain about various photography stuff. We're kinda sorta photo friends now. I guess. I know he's silently judging me and talking about how lovely I am to all of his photographer colleagues. :ohdear:

The last time I tried talking to another photographer in a crowd during a show was this past month. They weren't very responsive to me, so I assumed they didn't want to be bothered with me. It would have been cool to see their photos, though.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.
Spending the weekend going through my backlog of photos. This was from a house show last year shot with my XA (RIP)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Whew. Just finished going through my photos from my Portland trip. Met up with MMD3/Justin which was super cool. Shot five shows in five days, some more seriously than others. Saw everything from a storyteller to a ska punk band, in all sorts of venues tiny and not-so-tiny. The A7S served me well. If you like beer and shows, Portland is the perfect city for you. And thanks to a visit to the Oregon coast, now I can add sand and salt water to the blood, rain, sweat and alcohol that has doused my camera since I bought it.

And if you want to see regular vacation photos, go here: http://www.mikechow.com/Nature-and-Stuff/Portland-Seattle-October-11-18/

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Basia!

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Screaming Females ftw.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

I'm jealous, wanted to catch her when she was in Van this December.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Couple photos from the *very* poorly lit Primus show.

Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Primus & the Chocolate Factory with the Fungi Ensemble by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 1, 2014

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

Couple photos from the *very* poorly lit Primus show.

I love this picture, very striking contrast. Is that background a screen of some sort? Also did you crop this at all? My one small concern is the end of the guitar going off the frame.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

hi liter posted:

I love this picture, very striking contrast. Is that background a screen of some sort? Also did you crop this at all? My one small concern is the end of the guitar going off the frame.

Slightly cropped. The end of the guitar just goes into black so it looks even stranger. The background was indeed a screen. There was zero front lighting the entire show. Difficult show to shoot.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Never quite sure whether to crop out the crowd when you can't quite get to the very front.

DSC00737.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC00886.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC00891.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

DSC00876.jpg by Geektox, on Flickr

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Some shots from this past Tuesday. July Talk, cool Canadian grit-pop blues-rock (yeah, idk). Really bad light at this venue.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Speaking of lovely lighting:

Chaka Khan by TomOlson, on Flickr

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have a shitload of old concert photos I haven't gotten around to posting for one reason or another ... mostly trying to be anal retentive about getting stuff in the right order on my Flickr timeline.

But here it starts.

Ned's Atomic Dustbin ... my absolute favourite childhood band.

I mentioned to my girlfriend last year that they were playing in the UK, but I'd probably never get to see them. She said, "You know, they have these things called airplanes. We could go."

...so that turned into a trip to Iceland, Paris, and London, culminating in me proposing to her, and seeing Ned's! :)

Due to a screw-up, we arrived to the show later than intended, and we just caught the very end of an awesome live rendition of Ready to Go by Republica. No pictures. After that was Cud which was really fun.

The crowd opened up a bit and we made our way toward the front. People were muttering about how insane the pit would be. Fiancee started getting nervous. We chated with the people around us, and one guy asked us where we were from. We mentioned we'd come from Canada, and he lit up. "THESE GUYS CAME ALL THE WAY FROM CANADA! LET THEM UP FRONT!!" The crowd parted and all of a sudden we were front row of my all-time favourite band. Totally surreal.

The pit was insane. My fiancee ended up standing in front of me, and there was a rail in front of her, I could hold on to, around her. I could just barely hold on against the crush of the crowd. Tonnes of crowd surfers, a few kicking me in the head. I also got twoo pints to the back of the head, fortunately in plastic cups.

My fiancee took the pictures while I held on for dear life.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 16, 2014

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Gift of Gab, 2010

I just uncovered this and many other unprocessed files on an old hard drive; quite pleased.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I've messed around with concert photography a bit, had a lot of fun doing it. Are most of you guys shooting concerts as press or something? I've only been able really to shoot local bands (and even then had some issues) because a lot of venues around here have rules prohibiting cameras with interchangeable lenses.

Untitled by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

Untitled by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Shellman posted:

I've messed around with concert photography a bit, had a lot of fun doing it. Are most of you guys shooting concerts as press or something? I've only been able really to shoot local bands (and even then had some issues) because a lot of venues around here have rules prohibiting cameras with interchangeable lenses.

I mostly shoot them for local area blogs these days. Every once in a while a local news/radio site will through me a few bucks if it's a huge act. There is almost no money in concert photography anymore. I don't do it much anymore now anyways because the pits have gotten overcrowded and many times the bands force you into a contract that you'll send your photos to them too.

That said, I really do like the challenge of it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm about to get an 'in' with a major site, but I gave up on my interchangeable-lens camera and just take my RX100 into shows. Doesn't bother anyone and it's generally easier to take better pictures than my old Olympus E-PL2.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Here is a photo of a dapper young fella. Sorry about the lovely watermark, it's when I insisted on using them.

George Clinton by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Shellman posted:

A lot of the smaller venues around here in Austin are usually pretty cool about it, unless a specific band has concerns (which I don't think I've run into yet). Not sure how the larger venues work. But then again I usually cover niche genres of music so usually people are pretty happy that someone is documenting their local scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Gonjasufi, 2011