Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Gough Suppressant posted:

The tories won a third term with an increased vote, rip NZ

People voting for Tories and getting hosed over is like when Kang and Kodos body snatch Bill Clinton and Bob Dole and the people vote for Clinton/Kang anyway except it happens over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Yeah, these aren't going to pass the senate.
Thank god Tony doesn't have a mandate.

Why aren't you letting us get on with business (of killing browns)

You are putting your hopes on Labor having a spine? :laffo:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also I am legitimately surprised that ASIO officers weren't already empowered to kill in self defence.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Deuterious posted:

Because we vote for them.

Well, 22,000 people voted for her, and of those I'd guess about 2,000 had any idea who she is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Also I am legitimately surprised that ASIO officers weren't already empowered to kill in self defence.

I didn't think they did fieldwork, but I don't know the exact specifics of the various security agency jurisdictions.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

You are putting your hopes on Labor having a spine? :laffo:

quote:

Labor's legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus said ASIO and the police already did "very fine work" without new laws.

This assumes they don't back-flip, which I doubt will happen unless a domestic terror attack happens. They didn't back-flip on the carbon tax stuff, so there's that; I've set a very low bar here.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I didn't think they did fieldwork, but I don't know the exact specifics of the various security agency jurisdictions.

Cyberspace is fieldwork, by extension they ought to be able to kill anyone who has used an electronics device. What you don't want to protect our boys in blue?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I'm watching the Howard interview with a racist in-law and he loving loves Howard and also managed to segue in a comment about how good Pauline Hanson is and I can't flip out I am internally exploding

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Does anyone have that .gif of Bugs Bunny cutting NSW off into the pacific?

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

spamman posted:

Does anyone have that .gif of Bugs Bunny cutting NSW off into the pacific?

Just cut the whole country off, replace with Antarctica. It has now earned its place in the sun.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Haters Objector posted:

I'm watching the Howard interview with a racist in-law and he loving loves Howard and also managed to segue in a comment about how good Pauline Hanson is and I can't flip out I am internally exploding

It's an in-law. Just give it to them.

i got banned
Sep 24, 2010

lol abbottwon
My uncle literally said he cannot drive a car because he is too tall and gets his wife to drive him everywhere

he is shorter than me

I drive a car

He is legally allowed (and forced) to vote

:australia:

My uncle also gets telepathic communications from aliens and smokes so much pot he makes Cyprus Hill look like teetotallers

Haters Objector posted:

Baby boomers loving love Howard because he gave them all exponential growth on their investment properties via Costello

Now any house 20 - 30 minutes from the CBD is going to set you back 1.5 million which is totally reasonable because

i got banned fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 21, 2014

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
I have no problem with this. There's no way this could be abused. Definitely no chance that this ends up like that Brazilian guy that British cops shot on the subway. The guy who had plainclothes cops grab him and shoot him in the head point-blank seven times, for the crime of living in a building they had under surveillance, being Brazilian and running to get on a train when the cops were in a panic about suspected suicide bombers. ASIO could never make a mistake like that here.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

According to a this random Law resources site every Australian can kill in self defense in some circumstances:

'The general rule regarding self-defence is that a person is allowed to take any defensive or evasive steps that they believe to be necessary. Unlike other areas of law, self-defence isn’t reliant on a specific formulaic approach, but rather, is dependent on the facts of the matter, with the question left for the courts and a jury to decide.'

So I'm not quite sure what additional protections the new law would be adding over what they should have by just, you know being a person in this country

Unless this is a secrete admission ASIO is hiring lizard people/robots or something. :2bong:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
As I'm reading it it means it wouldn't fall to the courts, rather they could simply say "self-defence" and not have to justify it further.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seagull posted:

As I'm reading it it means it wouldn't fall to the courts, rather they could simply say "self-defence" and not have to justify it further.

Ah yeah, that makes sense, and is incredibly garbage. Why do governments continually think its a good idea to give intelligences agencies less oversight. Its not like there's any lack of examples of these type of agencies abusing their powers when just left to do their thing.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Not sure about all jurisdictions, but certainly in Vic it's a defence if you believe you are protecting yourself, or someone else, from death or really serious injury.

Can't really imagine why it would need to be extended when it already applies to what's stated in the article. Maybe cover them doing raids so they can shoot first and claim self defence cause someone stood up to quickly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Seagull posted:

"He was coming right at me, your worship! And all I had to defend myself was a bucket of water, some old rubber hose, a bed frame, handcuffs and five weeks in a US black site dedicated to torturing Afghani farmers."

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Ah yeah, that makes sense, and is incredibly garbage. Why do governments continually think its a good idea to give intelligences agencies less oversight. Its not like there's any lack of examples of these type of agencies abusing their powers when just left to do their thing.

ASIO did the Liberals a favour with the raids, this is the reward.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
If only Husic was a brown-skinned Arab instead of a white-skinned Bosniak they could launch a royal commission into ALP Islamic Statism off the back of some non-partisan ASIO intelligence and be in power for another 18 years. While spending massive amounts of money on defence and intelligence. Which doesn't have anything to do with ASIO. Fascists are anything but corrupt.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 21, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Howard 'embarrassed' by WMD intelligence that led to 112,667–123,284 civilian deaths from violenceIraq commitment

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

i got banned posted:

Baby boomers loving love Howard because he gave them all exponential growth on their investment properties via Costello

My father got sick and sold his house (for 25k) almost 2 decades ago and a few months back it was on the market for nearly 320K. Can someone point me in the right direction for this? Was it just negative gearing?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

SecretOfSteel posted:

My father got sick and sold his house (for 25k) almost 2 decades ago and a few months back it was on the market for nearly 320K. Can someone point me in the right direction for this? Was it just negative gearing?

Negative gearing, first home owners grants, lovely urban planning (re: density in inner burbs, lack of infrastructure in outer burbs, limited land releases) lack of investment (private or public) outside of the major capital urban areas, self managed super funds, the great Australian dream.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Foreign investment, me tooism / keeping up with the Joneses (re:investment properties), The Block, uh.... Probably forgot a stsck. That should start you off.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Also state governments massively marking up land to then onsell to decelopers who then mark it up further helps as well.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MiniSune posted:

Also state governments massively marking up land to then onsell to decelopers who then mark it up further helps as well.

Ohh yes, vic govt did this.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Labor are the true friend of students, vote 1 Labor

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Labor are the true friend of students, vote 1 Labor

Does that include going overseas if you're doing exchange study?

Just ugh, Labor. To think two years ago I was a very strong supporter and now I avoid their promoters as much as LNP.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Matthew Beet posted:

Negative gearing, first home owners grants, lovely urban planning (re: density in inner burbs, lack of infrastructure in outer burbs, limited land releases) lack of investment (private or public) outside of the major capital urban areas, self managed super funds, the great Australian dream.

Add in other taxation incentives like capital gains tax concessions and I think we've got everything covered. The productivity commission did a big thingo on it a while ago, althought I can't find it after 30 seconds' googling.

Apparently our reps and senators in federal parliament have combined personal property portfolios of several hundred millon, so the odds of them doing anything about it are pretty small.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

These are the end days posted:

22 Sep 2014 The Australian DAVID CROWE DAVID UREN

G20 puts IR reform on agenda

WORKPLACE reform has been put on Australia’s G20 agenda as the International Monetary Fund urges action on labour-market rules to revitalise global growth at the same time that Tony Abbott prepares to launch a major review into industrial laws.

The call for reform comes as the Prime Minister considers launching a Productivity Commission inquiry into industrial relations to accompany a new “competitiveness agenda” aimed at spurring business growth. Combining domestic and international agendas, the new industry policy is expected to meet some of Australia’s obligations under the Cairns agreement, while the workplace reform review coincides with the G20 calls for reform. The Australian can reveal that the terms of reference for the Productivity Commission review are mostly finalised and that one of the options in the Prime Minister’s office is to announce the inquiry as part of a wider probusiness competitiveness agenda.

Joe Hockey hailed yesterday’s G20 agreement as a major step towards creating “millions of jobs” if member nations acted on more than 900 specific reform plans they had put forward, which range from infrastructure investment to opening up markets to greater competition. While observers warn that the global forum is delivering more rhetoric than action, the IMF and the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development evaluated the reform proposals and concluded they would add 1.8 per cent to global growth compared with a “business as usual” scenario. Ms Lagarde welcomed the progress but said more work was needed to meet a goal of 2 per cent growth set by the G20 in February, naming labour-market reform and infrastructure investment as priorities.

“We hope that there will be more commitments in the areas of infrastructure and labour market,” Ms Lagarde said, although she added she was not expressing “frustration” with the outcomes so far. “We are particularly concerned that the growth objective is coupled with job deliverables as well. And we believe that more focus in general on job-market reforms, and on more opportunities delivered by the job markets, will actually help us with the double objective of both growth and jobs.” Mr Hockey hosted finance ministers and central bank governors from G20 nations in Cairns over the weekend to negotiate the growth agreement, which will be put to leaders including US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping at a final summit hosted by Mr Abbott in Brisbane in November.

International tensions were on display in the closing hours of the gathering as US Treasury Secretary Jack Lew took aim at Europe for not doing enough to reform its economies, while rebuking Russia over its interference in Ukraine. Common ground was found on the key agenda items, however, including actions to curb tax evasion, a new infrastructure investment plan and tougher regulation of “too big to fail” banks in the hope that taxpayers will not be left paying the bill for future bailouts. While the proposals to add 1.8 per cent to global growth fell short of the 2 per cent target set in February, it was higher than reports suggested on Saturday and comes with far more detail than G20 assurances in the past. “At the beginning of the year there was no global growth target, no global infrastructure initiative, financial sector reform was slow and the tax integrity program was in its infancy,” Mr Hockey said. “As of today, we have committed to over 900 policy initiatives that help to make the economy around $2 trillion larger over the next four years. This represents millions of new jobs.” Aware of doubts over the delivery on previous promises, Mr Hockey declared that the Brisbane summit would deliver “real, concrete outcomes” based on ambitious goals.

Ms Lagarde also warned that implementation was crucial and said the IMF had been asked to help monitor the plans to ensure they were acted upon. The Lowy Institute’s G20 program director, Mike Callaghan, said the success of the meeting would be determined by what member nations actually did. “At this stage, it’s lots of words and intent, but the real challenge is always implementation,” he said. Mr Callaghan, a former senior Treasury official, disputed whether the G20 was, as Mr Hockey said, “90 per cent there” in terms of meeting its target. “You’ve only agreed to start implementing the measures to get to the target,” he said. Community advisers to the G20 sent a similar warning at the Cairns event, saying the global forum risked a voter backlash if politicians kept making big promises without results.

“Implementation has really been problematic and that’s why the G20’s credibility is on the line,” said World Vision chief executive Tim Costello, a member of the Civil 20 group advising the forum this year.
I'm particularly happy to see that we are happy to let Putin into Australia (And presumably let him leave). It's not like he's been linked to any recent terrorism.

So due to the rest of the world getting poo poo on during the GFC we need to implement draconian IR reform because something, something, something, err, * bobble head * OH gently caress! TERROR! LOOK OVER HERE!

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/iraq-wmds-and-counter-terrorism-andrew-wilkie/5759502

quote:

Iraq, WMDs and counter-terrorism: Andrew Wilkie Monday 22 September 2014 8:32AM

ANDREW WILKIE: JOHN HOWARD 'SHOULD BE FEELING QUITE LUCKY THAT, CONCEIVABLY, HE HASN'T BEEN CHARGED WITH CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT MASS MURDER'. (ALAN PORRITT, FILE PHOTO: AAP)

National security is set to dominate this sitting fortnight of Federal Parliament.

The new measures come as former prime minister John Howard admits that he was stunned that no weapons of mass destruction were ever found in Iraq, following the invasion to topple Saddam Hussein 11 years ago.

In 2003, Andrew Wilkie famously resigned from the Office of National Assessments because he believed that the intelligence on WMDs was overblown.
Listen to the audio.

Wilkie outright calls Howard a liar and outlines the very different assessments that he was putting under Howard's eyes. The very same ignored assessments that caused him to resign from the APS. This is timely as it clears up to some extent the question that little Johnny's statement begs about the competence of the intelligence services. So not incredibly incompetent just untruthful (well some of them) and complicit (most of them).

Prepare to have Labour backflip into supporting all of the new measures. Having the ability to perform exjudicial killings has been number one on the list that Irvine has been sending to Santa every Christmas. He just never thought he'd get it up.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's always a bit shocking when a bunch of capitalists get together and agree that we should grow the economy. Seems so counter intuitive.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Cartoon posted:

So due to the rest of the world getting poo poo on during the GFC we need to implement draconian IR reform because something, something, something, err, * bobble head * OH gently caress! TERROR! LOOK OVER HERE!

Need to have the apparatus in place so that we can define any kind of serious worker solidarity as terrorism and just kill those uppity proles.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I expect that the World Bank and IMF will be changing their views soon enough and will come to realize just how important the prosperity of the average worker is to the economy as a whole.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Why is Howard being wheeled out this week?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Adnar posted:

Why is Howard being wheeled out this week?

Any number of reasons, such as:
- Personal favour to Abbott & his crew;
- Been Paid;
- Responding to some review of his tenure that he needs to clarify, defend or refute;

:shrug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
He hasn't talked that much since leaving office, and there was a big interview with him on the weekend.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

It's always a bit shocking when a bunch of capitalists get together and agree that we should grow the economy. Seems so counter intuitive.

Growing the economy by depressing discretionary spending power of the vast majority of people?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I expect that the World Bank and IMF will be changing their views soon enough and will come to realize just how important the prosperity of the average worker is to the economy as a whole.

Weren't most of the governments hit badly during the GFC conservative ones with very lax IR in place in the first place?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Growing the economy by depressing discretionary spending power of the vast majority of people?

How they plan to do it is another issue. Whenever these meetings happen there's always something on the news about how, after long and fraught negotiations, they all managed to agree that more money is a good thing.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Having the IMF there is important because both the IMF and the World Bank have come out recently to indicate that the countries with the most stable and consistent growth over the last few decades are the ones with a greater level of equality and income distribution. If the IMF are in there saying "hey if you guys want growth, we have some ideas on how to do it", I can expect a lot of that will include policies to wind down inequality in the countries - ie Keynesian stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CrazyTolradi posted:

Does that include going overseas if you're doing exchange study?

Just ugh, Labor. To think two years ago I was a very strong supporter and now I avoid their promoters as much as LNP.

How do they think they won the 2007 election by a landslide? Were all the concessions to students, the working class, and appeaing and popular infrastructure projects commpletely lost on them?

• Locked thread