Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I was really close to pulling the trigger on Blockscape a week or so ago, and then some research made it sound like development had slowed or stopped and I bailed out.

I'm definitely the sort of person who want more adventure/exploration in their sandbox game. Creative mode does nothing for me, even if it is lovely. Definitely going to wait and see if it gets monsters/survival stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Is anyone in the Everquest landmark thing and able to compare it to minecraft for us?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anias posted:

Is anyone in the Everquest landmark thing and able to compare it to minecraft for us?

My wife got into the beta for a little bit borrowing a friend's account. So I don't have any serious review of it, but she didn't like it much. It's certainly pretty but they locked everything down super tight. You run around, claim a chunk of land, and become a supreme landlord who can forbid anyone from doing anything in your zone. If you don't log in and pay some in-game currency every single day, the game erases everything you did and makes the plot available to the next person who comes along.

Claiming land isn't all bad, griefing in Minecraft can certainly be an issue and it's nice to have fixes, but it makes the world feel very sterile. Everyone's house is equidistant apart and might as well be it's own world for all it integrates with its neighbors.

There was also no survival mode that I saw, but that was months ago. It was just creative mode except you had to manually collect building materials.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Enzer posted:

Also gently caress vanilla's lack of decorative building blocks.

This is some of the poo poo I've added for our server, lots of thanks go to SMP for making a good number of these textures.

Daub and Wattle blocks, the ones with no support going across their front use CTM to merge into one large bordered surface.

Painted Daub and Wattle. These were mostly done because we wanted to make wool more cloth like and wanted players to have something to make colorful houses with.

Decorative Iron, Rusted Iron, Bronze, Oxidized Bronze, Wrought Iron, Rusted Wrought Iron blocks. Main version of these blocks use CTM and there is a way to convert them into non-CTM blocks.

Creates full of random stuff.

Decorative bookshelves.

Additional tiled brick and red bricks.

Lapis brick, polished lapis block, Lapis smoothstone pillar, lapis sandstone pillar (pillar blocks CTM moving up).

Obsidian Brick and Chiseled Obsidian.

Additional sands as well as two environmental blocks for volcano and nether areas.

Additional sandstones.

Dyed glowstone and additional redstone lamps.

Stained clay brick type 1.

Stained clay brick type 2 aka painted brick.

Painted smooth stone brick.

Plus a bunch of new iron fence types, wooden fence types, "cross blocks" (think spider webs) that mimic puffs of smoke for chimneys or firefly that give off low light or animated buzzing flys or ropes and chains to attach hanging lamps to.

Combining what I have shown plus stuff I didn't bother to take pictures of, we've more than doubled the number of blocks MC adds. :v:

*Ignore some of the varied colors in some spots, lot of these images were taken with WIP textures*

I was just thinking it would be really good if we could make Japanese houses with paper walls / doors etc. and the correct looking raised floors etc.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You can be a terrible programmer and still be better at working with a particular program than a skilled programmer.

In fact, if you are a terrible programmer, it is increasingly probable that you are possibly the only person on the planet capable of working with your program.

Code is a bit like language, everyone uses it a bit differently and the less formal instruction you get, the more you tend to start making up words and deviating from the standard, much to the fury and incomprehension of people who like the formal approach.

I have no formal training in development yet I am working as a Pro Dev in Java. but whilst I know Java well. (recently passed OCA Exam) but I have no real idea how the minecraft stuff works. as there is no design documents or Flowdiagrams showing how it all fits together.

Domain knowledge is the hardest thing to get in any job. more so in programming.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Having been through a couple mergers/acquisitions in my day (one of which was a software company), it seems to take about 4-6 months before changes begin in earnest. There's usually some shuffling in upper management right off the bat (especially to replace the new billionaires who are on their way out), but the rank and file workers do okay initially. Then once plans are laid out and the bigger company identifies what people are redundant, that's when people get their pink slips.

Dead wood, HR people, IT.. they usually get shown the door. The folks with institutional knowledge get to stay longer because the company can't afford to lose their knowledge yet. But eventually even they get marginalized once replacement developers get up to speed.

It may have already started....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/18/microsoft_layoffs_round_2/

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Anias posted:

It's not a lot of fun and voxels aren't the future we were hoping for. It's extremely finicky and buggy with placing down shapes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well goddamn, blockscape has certainly come a long way since last I looked at it :stare:

I hope it goes somewhere, while it looks neat for building stuff it could use some polish, also some gameplay as I sort of need block games to have something other than building in them.

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005

Enzer posted:

Also gently caress vanilla's lack of decorative building blocks.

This is some of the poo poo I've added for our server, lots of thanks go to SMP for making a good number of these textures.

Daub and Wattle blocks, the ones with no support going across their front use CTM to merge into one large bordered surface.

Painted Daub and Wattle. These were mostly done because we wanted to make wool more cloth like and wanted players to have something to make colorful houses with.

Decorative Iron, Rusted Iron, Bronze, Oxidized Bronze, Wrought Iron, Rusted Wrought Iron blocks. Main version of these blocks use CTM and there is a way to convert them into non-CTM blocks.

Creates full of random stuff.

Decorative bookshelves.

Additional tiled brick and red bricks.

Lapis brick, polished lapis block, Lapis smoothstone pillar, lapis sandstone pillar (pillar blocks CTM moving up).

Obsidian Brick and Chiseled Obsidian.

Additional sands as well as two environmental blocks for volcano and nether areas.

Additional sandstones.

Dyed glowstone and additional redstone lamps.

Stained clay brick type 1.

Stained clay brick type 2 aka painted brick.

Painted smooth stone brick.

Plus a bunch of new iron fence types, wooden fence types, "cross blocks" (think spider webs) that mimic puffs of smoke for chimneys or firefly that give off low light or animated buzzing flys or ropes and chains to attach hanging lamps to.

Combining what I have shown plus stuff I didn't bother to take pictures of, we've more than doubled the number of blocks MC adds. :v:

*Ignore some of the varied colors in some spots, lot of these images were taken with WIP textures*

I'm sorry to be a bit behind the times, but I took a quick look and couldn't find the answer. Is this just a texture pack, or a mod? Is there a page with more info? These blocks look great.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

thenakedflip posted:

I'm sorry to be a bit behind the times, but I took a quick look and couldn't find the answer. Is this just a texture pack, or a mod? Is there a page with more info? These blocks look great.

Originally it was just a texture pack and we used a custom bukkit plugin to use unused block meta data to get those in, but now it is an actual mod using CS2, so everything showed has full crafting recipes and such. The mod is unfortunately not publicly available as it was made for the WilsonSMP server and is only available through their custom launcher. If we ever close down the server I will probably do one last update to make sure its available for whatever is the most current version of minecraft and make a public post for it.

It is designed to be used with SMP's Revival resource pack and a good number of the block textures shown there are either extra unused textures SMP created/edited versions of his textures or textures I have made.

We're a huge fan of SMP's work and I've been slowly adding additional CTM support or animated textures where applicable to the version of the pack we use. Our version is actually about twice the file size of the vanilla pack now because of the additions and alterations.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 19, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Anias posted:

That runs on this http://procworld.blogspot.com/

Which I've posted several times.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to agree with the basic consensus so far: there's a lot of really promising titles out there, and I really hope they can grow beyond just having a pretty world you can place/remove blocks in. Throw in some real gameplay and survival elements and any one of them could be pretty incredible.

Also, Custom Stuff 2 is pretty rad overall but as I understand it, it isn't updated yet? I mean there must be some reason it's not super prevalent if it's really as powerful and diverse as it looks, to say nothing of all the possible content packs.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Anias posted:

I thought it was pretty fun to fool around with for a while, but I'm not so sure about its long-term appeal. With no private servers, you're stuck with whatever land you can find on their servers, it's hard to coordinate claiming a larger area with your friends, the way claims work makes it difficult to do large-scale collaborative work, there's the upkeep cost already mentioned, if you lose your claim it may be difficult to find another one that fits your archived builds, etc.

With all those concerns hanging over you, it kinda kills your motivation to invest a lot of effort into it unless you're a pure solo-builder.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I find a big part of what makes me prefer Minecraft over other games is the responsiveness of the engine. In Minecraft when you right click you play a block, in many of the clones when you place a block there's often a noticeable lag. It may not be much lag between action and response but I find it enough to be a severe detriment to play.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Vib Rib posted:

Also, Custom Stuff 2 is pretty rad overall but as I understand it, it isn't updated yet? I mean there must be some reason it's not super prevalent if it's really as powerful and diverse as it looks, to say nothing of all the possible content packs.

It's at 1.7.10 right now. I don't think any mod is going to be up to 1.8 this soon after the release.

CS2 is not super prevalent because it's a toolkit, not something you can run right out of the box. Plus it only really does mostly cosmetic stuff, you can't define new mechanics or even do ranged weaponry (last I checked, anyway). The integration isn't as seamless as it could potentially be, I remember adding some new crops and they didn't get the little glimmer effect when you put bonemeal on them.

Mind you, I had to set it like this: onBonemeal[0] = "world.setBlockMetadata(position, 2);";

There's been a bunch of stuff added to the mod since I started toying around with it, I've made a few suggestions (some which even got implemented) but there's still a lot it just can't do. Like, if I wanted to divide up armours into "heavy" which reduced movement speed and knockback, and "light" which gave less protection but didn't hamper movement speed - no go. There's no way I can do that in CS2.

But if I go out, learn Java, make me own mod - I could do that. Which is why, I think, people don't go nuts for CS2. Not just because of the trouble in putting together your own stuff, but because existing mods alter the game way more. They add in nukes, or crazy-rear end portals to weird places, or insane magic designed by an idiot, or hundreds of poorly-conceived creatures, or catgirl maids.

CS2 does... blocks, mostly. Blocks and items. It's great for adding to vanilla, it's just not so great at changing the flavour.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Digital War posted:

I find a big part of what makes me prefer Minecraft over other games is the responsiveness of the engine. In Minecraft when you right click you play a block, in many of the clones when you place a block there's often a noticeable lag. It may not be much lag between action and response but I find it enough to be a severe detriment to play.

I also have this issue, minecraft in general is quite sharp, reminds me of half life a lot, that really crisp feeling you get with older engines and less so with modern ones.

I don't like that a lot of the clones feel very floaty and unresponsive.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
E: Sorry, CS2 coming up in this thread has made me talk too much modding; I'll move it to the other thread.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 20, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think EQ landmark is a great tool that's being improperly used and if they set up the way claims and materials worked differently and maybe even had instances and large-scale terrain building they could have an amazing creation system.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You shall not pass!

I might do Wrath of Bong next.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 21, 2014

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
1.8 has introduced lag into my single-player world. Like, I'll mine a block and it'll take a second or two to disappear.

Reducing video options and setting Java priority to high makes it happen less often, but that it's happening at all in a single-player game makes Minecraft unplayable for me.

What a bag of poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

mr sad posted:

1.8 has introduced lag into my single-player world. Like, I'll mine a block and it'll take a second or two to disappear.

Reducing video options and setting Java priority to high makes it happen less often, but that it's happening at all in a single-player game makes Minecraft unplayable for me.

What a bag of poo poo.

I still haven't seen any explanation for why this is. I submitted the bug during testing and it was brushed off as an old issue, which is BS to me because I have never had this problem before.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I was getting that with 1.8 as well, but I sorted it out eventually. I strongly suspect it's related to garbage collection somehow, or at any rate the problem actually gets worse if the VM has more memory allocated to it. At least that's what I've observed.

Don't use custom arguments to java, or at least don't gently caress with the default memory settings. Also don't raise the render distance above 16, even though it lets you now. Also, if you've got a monitor capable of more than 60 frames/sec, lower the limit back to 60.

And use Java 7.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 21, 2014

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
people have been saying it's a result of creeper and other mobs pathfinding ai, so try playing on peaceful if you haven't yet. of course, im one of the lucky ones who has seen nothing but performance improvements in 1.8, so idk

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Actually now I'm not having trouble with higher framerates and render distances. I can still get the issue to reappear though, along with periodic lag, by allocating more memory to the VM.

You could improve performance of 1.7 by giving it more memory, but it seems that doing the same with 1.8 will give negative results.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Kilroy posted:

You could improve performance of 1.7 by giving it more memory, but it seems that doing the same with 1.8 will give negative results.

This could be a generic Java bug report for any java application for what it's worth. Java is essentially goldilocks with regard to memory.

Anias fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 21, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What 'destroys' an underwater fortress for spawning purposes? I want to steal as much of the structural prismatine as I can but I also want to keep the Guardians spawning.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MikeJF posted:

What 'destroys' an underwater fortress for spawning purposes? I want to steal as much of the structural prismatine as I can but I also want to keep the Guardians spawning.

Nothing will destroy it, you can level it all and they'll still spawn, it's sort of a biome thing, like witch huts and nether fortresses.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wyoming posted:

Nothing will destroy it, you can level it all and they'll still spawn, it's sort of a biome thing, like witch huts and nether fortresses.

Sexy, time to turn the spawning space into a cobble box.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vib Rib posted:

I really hope he didn't actually pass away. :ohdear:

I was emailing him before about doing sound design for him, I'll send him something, asking what's up.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Dear Microsoft now that you own Minecraft can you please make it so boats don't break, ever, for any reason, because it's loving stupid and nobody likes it or has ever liked it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
boat + iron = reinforced boat, tada, give me 20 billion dollar please

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Minecart + water = boat, also still minecart so you can drive out of the lake and onto a track, or add a log flume to your rollercoaster.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

horse mans posted:

boat + iron = reinforced boat, tada, give me 20 billion dollar please

Until you hit ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hobo By Design posted:

Until you hit ice.

Then it's Minecraft: Tokyo Drift.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

xzzy posted:

No, then you put the "Nearer, My God, to Thee" record into the jukebox.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

xzzy posted:

Back when saddles were first put into the game, if you could manage to get a pig on ice it would go berserk and zoom around.

Back when you'd just have to spawn an a snowy ice world by chance. :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

wyoming posted:

Back when saddles were first put into the game, if you could manage to get a pig on ice it would go berserk and zoom around.

Back when you'd just have to spawn an a snowy ice world by chance. :allears:

Oh my god, I had completely forgotten about how ice worlds used to be a thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's pretty bullshit that you still can't craft saddles.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty bullshit that you still can't craft saddles.

Seriously, what the hell else are you going to use leather for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Speedball posted:

Seriously, what the hell else are you going to use leather for?

Making a full walk-in closet full of sets of leather armor dyed every different possible color.

And multiple enchanting stations fully upgraded with bookshelves.

And book n quills full of Creeper x EnderMite fanfic.