Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yuriy posted:

I don't think it would get old, I think building a dominant champion is something they rarely do and by keeping him on top and crushing any challengers, it gives them a chance to actually build a worthwhile contender which is something they kind of lack right now outside of Cena.

There's a limit to the number of absolute squashes you can have main event a PPV, and that limit is probably one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
But you don't understand guys, I want to see John Cena murdered by Brock a billion times! It's good booking, too because

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

I don't think it would get old, I think building a dominant champion is something they rarely do and by keeping him on top and crushing any challengers, it gives them a chance to actually build a worthwhile contender which is something they kind of lack right now outside of Cena.

Brock is already a dominant champion, last night did nothing to change that. You guys are reaching borderline levels of "HHH must not be shown in a vulnerable position in any gameplay trailers" level of standards for a monster heel, which really isn't necessary to still make an absolute monster and an awesome eventual David vs. Goliath finish.

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's a limit to the number of absolute squashes you can have main event a PPV, and that limit is probably one.

Exactly. Let's pause for a second and reframe. I know squashes happen in MMA, but a guy like Anderson Silva, as I understand with my unbelievably limited knowledge of MMA, was/is considered one of the best champs ever in his weight class, is he not? But again, as I understand it, there were a number of title defenses where the challengers really gave it their all and even sometimes had Silva on the ropes, but in the end he was just too good until he finally lost. For all our talk about how wrestling booking could/should learn from MMA (which is true), what you're describing would never happen and would probably eventually be bad for business.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

Shine posted:

like Charlotte Flair.
I'm still pissed we never got the Beth/Batista showdown they kept teasing.

Dexo posted:

I wonder how much it costs to license kid rock songs nowadays.
Half a tube of Pringles and any 80s issue of Penthouse.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Grendels Dad posted:

But you don't understand guys, I want to see John Cena murdered by Brock a billion times! It's good booking, too because

Cena sucks.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

cronox2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTmXBBj6PMQ

Maybe they're delaying the next gen version so they can actually update the logos and belts.

Yo this looks WAY better than even last year's. I can actually tell who is supposed to be who.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

I think Brock should have a very, very lengthy run giving them a chance to actually build up someone that deserves to go over him rather than losing in some gently caress finish

The more Brock wrecks people, the better and stronger he looks, the more interesting and meaningful it'll be when he finally does lose.

I think it would be dumb for the guy who broke the streak, who broke Cena worse than anyone else to not be an unstoppable monster for as long as possible.

Plus brock/heyman own and the more they're involved in the product, the more I tend to enjoy it.

Just super saiyan'.

Exactly, beating Brock at Wrestlemania would be the best way to establish a guy like Reigns or Ambrose as a true top guy.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Brock is already a dominant champion, last night did nothing to change that. You guys are reaching borderline levels of "HHH must not be shown in a vulnerable position in any gameplay trailers" level of standards for a monster heel, which really isn't necessary to still make an absolute monster and an awesome eventual David vs. Goliath finish.

Exactly. Let's pause for a second and reframe. I know squashes happen in MMA, but a guy like Anderson Silva, as I understand with my unbelievably limited knowledge of MMA, was/is considered one of the best champs ever in his weight class, is he not? But again, as I understand it, there were a number of title defenses where the challengers really gave it their all and even sometimes had Silva on the ropes, but in the end he was just too good until he finally lost. For all our talk about how wrestling booking could/should learn from MMA (which is true), what you're describing would never happen and would probably eventually be bad for business.

My client Brock Lesnar must never be shown lying prone in a Jimmy John's ad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shine posted:

Cena sucks.

Let's go Cena

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

pressedbunny posted:

Half a tube of Pringles and any 80s issue of Penthouse.

I like to think WWE got permanent rights to Matt Hardy's Monster Magnet song by handing Dave Wyndorf a bag of shrooms.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
"Ronda Rousey"

"Jon Jones"

The two biggest draws the UFC has left are a woman who wrecks everyone in under 5 minutes (I think her record is 16 seconds)

Jones has only had a close fight with one person, Alexander Gustaffson and apart from that has dominated and wrecked everyone else, and shockingly that's the fight that people want to see again because it was close and competitive and no one else has come close to touching Jones (The ripped toe in the Chael fight and retard Vitor's armbar aside)

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Brock isn't Triple H, there is literally no one else that wrestles that approaches what Brock is as an athlete or a character

If he's gonna ever be shown as vulnerable, it should be in a close match after a lot of build up imo, not a gently caress finish on a nothing pay per view to a guy that most people are pretty tired of

Especially in the kayfabe context. What changed for Cena between the first match and this one? Did he change tactics? Did he change how he trains?

Why did he suddenly start being able to throw Brock around? He didn't have a heel turn, he didn't even go shades of grey and do something questionable.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yuriy posted:

"Ronda Rousey"

"Jon Jones"

The two biggest draws the UFC has left are a woman who wrecks everyone in under 5 minutes (I think her record is 16 seconds)

Jones has only had a close fight with one person, Alexander Gustaffson and apart from that has dominated and wrecked everyone else

Brock isn't Triple H, there is literally no one else that wrestles that approaches what Brock is as an athlete or a character

If he's gonna ever be shown as vulnerable, it should be in a close match after a lot of build up imo, not a gently caress finish on a nothing pay per view to a guy that most people are pretty tired of

Especially in the kayfabe context. What changed for Cena between the first match and this one? Did he change tactics? Did he change how he trains?

Why did he suddenly start being able to throw Brock around? He didn't have a heel turn, he didn't even go shades of grey and do something questionable.

RUTHLESS AGGRESSION

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

This is so true I can't quote it enough. It's hilarious. If people were paying even like, $20 for these shows, I'd get it. But I just don't get how people act like getting at LEAST a bunch of decent to very good to occasionally loving great matches for $10 a month is some great affront to them just because some of the booking was dumb (which yes, it was).

Also how the hell could anyone watch that main event and say Brock looked weak in any way shape or form? HE KICKED OUT AT ONE ON AN AA. Then he kicked out at barely two on the second one. He took four of the drat things and broke the STF like literally 5 times with no heel shenanigans whatsoever. Now if your criticism is that ultimately nothing really happened of great consequence, fine. If you're annoyed on principle that they protected Cena, okay I guess. That I'd be willing to agree with or concede. But what'd you guys want, another Cena squash? Brock still dominated about 80-90% of the match. He didn't look dumb or weak. ROLLINS looked dumb and weak, which is a problem.

I bet that you pay $0 to watch most televised programming and still complain when the plot is stupid and/or stale.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just think that last night's match stretched some things a bit too far. If Lesnar eats FOUR AAs, one of the most protected finishers in history, and is still able to kick out, how the gently caress do you book someone to beat him in a clean match? You'd have to punt the fucker off a cage Foley-style. Paradoxically, the whole setup for the match didn't help Lesnar look all that powerful, IMHO, even with the finisher spamming. To me, it didn't feel like Cena was being dominated and getting lucky, it felt like he had the momentum on his side for a good part of the match but Lesnar was the wrestling equivalent to a bullet-sponge. In truth, the whole thing felt like a WWE '14 match.

In retrospect, the match would've probably worked better (for me, I suppose) if it had less finishers and Rollins interfered on a STF instead of a pin - it's a bit easier to make it look like Lesnar could've gotten a rope-break in time than a kickout. It ended up feeling like they wanted to have their Lesnar cake and eat it too.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm not saying Brock Lesnar looked weak, but he was about to lose before Seth Rollins bailed his rear end out

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Dias posted:

I just think that last night's match stretched some things a bit too far. If Lesnar eats FOUR AAs, one of the most protected finishers in history, and is still able to kick out, how the gently caress do you book someone to beat him in a clean match? You'd have to punt the fucker off a cage Foley-style. Paradoxically, the whole setup for the match didn't help Lesnar look all that powerful, IMHO, even with the finisher spamming. To me, it didn't feel like Cena was being dominated and getting lucky, it felt like he had the momentum on his side for a good part of the match but Lesnar was the wrestling equivalent to a bullet-sponge. In truth, the whole thing felt like a WWE '14 match.

In retrospect, the match would've probably worked better (for me, I suppose) if it had less finishers and Rollins interfered on a STF instead of a pin - it's a bit easier to make it look like Lesnar could've gotten a rope-break in time than a kickout. It ended up feeling like they wanted to have their Lesnar cake and eat it too.

The knee that beat John Cena is canonically more powerful than the AA and is the only move that can mathematically beat Brock Lesnar in wrestling history. At least 2.78 knees that beat John Cena to be exact.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dias posted:

You'd have to punt the fucker off a cage Foley-style.

This would be an acceptable way for Brock to look vulnerable to me imo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They went as far as they could possibly go to make Cena look superior without actually giving Cena the belt.

I'm sure they think this made everyone want to see Cena finally beat him for the title at the next show, but it's really just going to make everyone dread another month of TV.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I have to rewatch earlier matches, but it seems like the only way Lesnar loses since his return is from stupid gimmicks. In a normal match, Lesnar doesn't lose. If you throw in cages and cells and garbage, Lesnar can lose.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The only way Lesnar loses is stairs.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

oatgan posted:

I'm not saying Brock Lesnar looked weak, but he was about to lose before Seth Rollins bailed his rear end out

But nobody can know for sure! :rolleyes:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So just to run it down, the things that have made Brock Lesnar lose (or about to lose before interference) since his return are chain shots to the head, Pedigrees onto stairs, or being John Cena and AAing him a bunch of times.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

So just to run it down, the things that have made Brock Lesnar lose (or about to lose before interference) since his return are chain shots to the head, Pedigrees onto stairs, or being John Cena and AAing him a bunch of times.

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things is lame

Well, so was Lesnar/Cena 1's finish

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't think you understand how Cena is meant to be seen. We keep getting told over and over again that John Cena is the greatest wrestler of all time. He's better than Hogan, better than Hart, better than Austin, etc. Once you understand that that's how you're meant to see him, their booking makes sense.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

cronox2 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTmXBBj6PMQ

Maybe they're delaying the next gen version so they can actually update the logos and belts.

What's that jobber looking guy doing to Ziggler? I don't think I've ever seen that move before. Must be a game exclusive move, no one would actually do that in real life.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I had a thought - it would be hilarious if Rusev got the US title and then Triple H retired the belt just to spite him. No merger, no raising the belt to the rafters or whatever, just "gently caress you, you can't represent USA". And then have Rusev continue carrying it around anyway for heel heat.

MotU posted:

But he likes the 90s!!! I lived through that time period!!

poo poo, you just reminded me that there will soon be adults who don't remember the 90s at all. :corsair:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Pro Wrestling is really really great right now thanks in very little part to WWE.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

I don't think you understand how Cena is meant to be seen. We keep getting told over and over again that John Cena is the greatest wrestler of all time. He's better than Hogan, better than Hart, better than Austin, etc. Once you understand that that's how you're meant to see him, their booking makes sense.

The problem is that we remember Hogan, Hart, Austin etc.

You know who wasn't around for those squares?

Kids and Banjo.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

The problem is that we remember Hogan, Hart, Austin etc.

You know who wasn't around for those squares?

Kids and Banjo.

I am making up the time and I am now the biggest Hulkamaniac of this generation, brrrooootttthhheeerrrr

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Man, if Cena were somehow injured tomorrow WWE would suddenly be hilarious. There are no faces (non-injured) they haven't buried yet except for Ambrose. Or I guess to a lesser degree, Sheamus.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You would take your Brock/Big Show match and like it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The Dean Ambrose Show would rule

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

This is a good part of why I loving hate him though.

Anyway, fun show, stupid finishes, etc...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bigass Moth posted:

You would take your Brock/Big Show match and like it.

Heyman betrays Lesnar AGAIN.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Smoking Crow posted:

i'm sorry but, i can't see him

like that

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Yuriy posted:

"Ronda Rousey"

"Jon Jones"

Jones has only had a close fight with one person, Alexander Gustaffson and apart from that has dominated and wrecked everyone else, and shockingly that's the fight that people want to see again because it was close and competitive and no one else has come close to touching Jones (The ripped toe in the Chael fight and retard Vitor's armbar aside)

for most of the match he was being dominated until he was able to get a flash AA once Brock let off the gas a little and chain things together from there. from that 2nd AA to the end of the match it went STF > Kimura > AA > Immediate STF > STF once Lesnar is close to the ropes > STF after Brock gets a rope break > AA to Seth interference. it was mostly Cena just chaining together some moves off an opportunity and just going for it

and I think the refusal of letting Lesnar rope break even though he had a clear hold on the ropes is a bit gray considering how many times Cena immediately has let go at one due to a rope break submission

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Am I crazy for thinking Ambrose should be the one to take the belt off Lesnar? His whole character is built around eating a metric fuckton of punishment and coming back for more. Even John "NEVER GIVE UP" Cena gave up; maybe it takes a deranged brawler with nothing to lose, who isn't afraid of his "dark side" because that's his only side.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

For their next match I hope Cena just loving spams AAs. Just go for the AA all the time, have 25 AAs before Brock can be killed.

People will still claim it made Brock look weak.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Daniel Bryan should beat Lesnar at Wrestlemania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Daniel Bryan should beat Lesnar and John Cena in a triple threat match at Wrestlemania.

History improves itself.

• Locked thread