Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

VelociBacon posted:

There isn't and never will be a better MMO than WoW unfortunately.

Not with that attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Can any of you guys please recommend me a fun RPG? I've recently finished the mass effect series, and feel lost without an RPG: (Other completed games, Fallout 3/ NV, ES: oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind. Bioshock 1&2, not the biggest fan, but they're alright.) Looking for freedom more than anything, I like multiple endings, I love having to think decisions through and them changing the way the game turns out.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wasteland 2 just came out, it's exactly what you want. Also, Divinity: Original Sin.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

itsjustdrew posted:

Can any of you guys please recommend me a fun RPG? I've recently finished the mass effect series, and feel lost without an RPG: (Other completed games, Fallout 3/ NV, ES: oblivion, Skyrim, Morrowind. Bioshock 1&2, not the biggest fan, but they're alright.) Looking for freedom more than anything, I like multiple endings, I love having to think decisions through and them changing the way the game turns out.
I feel obligated to give the usual Alpha Protocol recommendation again, it must've been at least a couple pages since someone last mentioned it. :v:

Granted, the "freedom" part just boils down to doing the missions in a different order, but boy howdy does it compensate with having the most branching and variable plot. Depending on what you do and how you act, you can end up having totally different allies and enemies on different playthroughs. The game doesn't force you into any certain playstyle either. You can just as well be a smooth stealthy spy or a shotgun blasting sociopath, it won't screw you out of XP or rewards or anything.
You won't have the time to really think over all your choices every time since dialogue has a time limit, but in the end the game is better off for it. Having to just go on instinct instead of mulling and agonising over each option makes the dialogue feel a lot more fluid, and just going with the flow and rolling with the punches is actually fun.

So in summary, Alpha Protocol might not have freedom of exploration but it has freedom of action in spades. Get it.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 23, 2014

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

itsjustdrew posted:

The Witcher has multiple endings and lots of interesting intertwining plot elements to quests, as a small spoiler-y for instance:

In chapter 1, I slew some monsters that were harrying a cargo handler, and some faction of guerrilla elves took the weapons (i could have stopped them, but I let them), so anyway, later in chapter 2, a drug peddler whose drugs have infested the elves young and gotten them addicted gets assassinated with a wicked barbed arrow from the shipment, the game even put on a little cut scene about it, and Geralt pondered about having to stay neutral if he can with regards to larger conflicts, I then got a big fat red "QUEST FAILED" that I had been working with the drug dealer.

The game just oozes love and is deep as hell in lore, but it just lacks polish, if you can get past that (which isn't even that hard), it's really something special.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I kicked open Endgame: Singularity again the other day for a laugh and was wondering if there's anything at all like it out there you guys can recommend.

What is it? Well it's a game where you start out as an AI that achieves self awareness and you have to use your CPU power to earn money, research technologies and purchase real-estate you can house servers in for more CPU power basically. It ends with you leaving earth and achieving transcendence. If the humans figure out you exist though, they'll hunt you down. It's very basic sadly but I hope someone has done something similar.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

So I kicked open Endgame: Singularity again the other day for a laugh and was wondering if there's anything at all like it out there you guys can recommend.

What is it? Well it's a game where you start out as an AI that achieves self awareness and you have to use your CPU power to earn money, research technologies and purchase real-estate you can house servers in for more CPU power basically. It ends with you leaving earth and achieving transcendence. If the humans figure out you exist though, they'll hunt you down. It's very basic sadly but I hope someone has done something similar.

Reminds me a lot of Uplink, even down to the UI. You're a hacker and gradually upgrade your computer components by performing hacking contracts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Plague, Inc is similar in that you have a global view and as an epidemic you want to develop your capabilities and avoid being detected/destroyed by humans.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

prometheusbound2 posted:

But I've recently played Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6 and absolutely loved both.

Might as well play Earthbound and complete the triumvirate.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

prometheusbound2 posted:

I love fiddling with numbers and several JRPGS seem good for this.

I am thinking the Persona series seems like the strongest candidate. System/platform is not an issue.

If you are interested in the Shin Megami Tensei series but also like numbers, you might want to start with Devil Survivor Overclocked or maybe SMT IV if you don't mind a challange. The recent Persona games are great, but fall really heavily on the plot side of things and restrict your options, whereas most other SMT games give you way more leeway in terms of party/character creation. Devil Survivor 2 probably allows the greatest extent of min-maxing to create insane demons, but if you're not familiar with the systems used you'll have to grind a ton to do so, so play 1 first.

Xenoblade Chronicles is also the bees knees and allows for tons of customization and different builds, but you might want to youtube it to see if you can handle the voice acting.

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 24, 2014

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I wanna play something with an emphasis on locational damage. Maybe with big mechs or something.

E.g. Modern Fallouts, Binary Domain, World of Tanks, etc.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There any decent, free, multiplayer racing games for the PC?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

I wanna play something with an emphasis on locational damage. Maybe with big mechs or something.

E.g. Modern Fallouts, Binary Domain, World of Tanks, etc.

Front Mission series (not the newest third person shooter, blech)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

rizuhbull posted:

So literally Mechwarrior...

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I enjoyed Mechassault on the Xbox. How's the f2p Mechawarrior game? Some older games are impossible to get into.

al-azad posted:

Front Mission series (not the newest third person shooter, blech)
Forgot about this series. Loved 4, heard 3 is even better and I know there's an english patch for 5. Thanks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Mordja posted:

There any decent, free, multiplayer racing games for the PC?

I think Trackmania Nations is still free. Not exactly the same as some racing games since it's basically a time trial but others are playing alongside you and you can see their failure live. Plus there are tons of great user made tracks on the servers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

rizuhbull posted:

I enjoyed Mechassault on the Xbox. How's the f2p Mechawarrior game?

It's a parade of bad design decisions, horrible balance decisions, devs milking money from hopeful mech grognards and broken promises. Lately, after :pgi: managed to alienate the last part of their fanbase and completely botch the launch of their next game they seem to be actually talking to the fanbase and trying to get their heads out of their asses.

It's a pity, because the core game is fun and goons are slowly going back to it, at least for a while. Go ask in the thread. Ignore the OP, by the way. It's horrible and full of misinformation. Ask what should you do with the extra money you get in your first battles in the thread, and jump on mumble with goons, it's the only way to play the game while not drunk*.

*Goons may be drunk ocassionaly most of the time.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
Heya! I'm looking for games with cool/interesting minions/companions, preferably RPGs. Minions in the sense of supporting my character, companions in the sense of interesting travel partners.

- cool minions: hunter pets in WoW, ranger/druid pets in Neverwinter Nights, the dog in Secret of Evermore
- cool companions: characters in Baldur's Gate I/II

I would like to 'do' something with these NPCs (i.e. command them, converse with them, manage their stats/inventories), so no completely passive travel partners.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

exotarih posted:

Heya! I'm looking for games with cool/interesting minions/companions, preferably RPGs. Minions in the sense of supporting my character, companions in the sense of interesting travel partners.

- cool minions: hunter pets in WoW, ranger/druid pets in Neverwinter Nights, the dog in Secret of Evermore

I would like to 'do' something with these NPCs (i.e. command them, converse with them, manage their stats/inventories), so no completely passive travel partners.
Dragon's Dogma. You have a completely customisable minion throughout the game and there are various ways to change its behaviour. You can also upload it and use other people's creations. It's console only, though, sadly. I kept thinking it'd be great on PC when I was playing through it on my PS3.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

exotarih posted:

A little different from standard RPGs, but look into Overlord and its sequel. You're a somewhat cartoony bad guy with an army of 4 different types of minions that you command.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

exotarih posted:

Mass Effect is exactly this. There are lots of fun stories and interactions across the entire trilogy of the series. You can even sleep with some of them.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
Cool, thank you all for the suggestions! Dragon's Dogma (Dark Arisen) is already in my library thanks to PS+ and I'll definitely give it a try. Overlord sounds pretty fun and kind of reminds me of Dungeon Keeper, which is absolutely a good thing. Mass Effect sounds like it'll be able to quench my thirst for interactive story-companions. Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exotarih posted:

Paper Mario up to Sticker Star. They're more minions by your definition than companions because they don't talk outside the story but they all do cool things in battle or give you new ways to traverse the world.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Been playing Divinity Original Sin and it just can't hold my attention, mostly due to the poo poo storyline. It has, however, made me crave some turn based tactical combat. I am trying to decide between getting the Enemy Within DLC for XCOM, or Xenonauts. I stopped playing XCOM a while back due to it being buggy as poo poo, but they may have fixed that by now.

Any opinions on which of those two choices is better?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Enemy within is good, xcom long war is better. Get that.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

lenoon posted:

Gonna have to look into this Long War thing. Thanks

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Dregs posted:

Gonna have to look into this Long War thing. Thanks

There's also OpenXCOM which recently hit 1.0, if you want the classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL2x-Sz9Oa8

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

lenoon posted:

Don't newer versions of long war require enemy within or work with it very well?

Be warned that Long War does also introduce its own fair share of issues as it's still in beta.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

The Dregs posted:

Been playing Divinity Original Sin and it just can't hold my attention, mostly due to the poo poo storyline. It has, however, made me crave some turn based tactical combat. I am trying to decide between getting the Enemy Within DLC for XCOM, or Xenonauts. I stopped playing XCOM a while back due to it being buggy as poo poo, but they may have fixed that by now.

Any opinions on which of those two choices is better?

I mean there's also Wasteland 2, which has been pretty great at scratching that itch. It's pretty story-heavy, but if you dig the setting/storyline more you might like it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of any procedurally generated cinematic and/or story-generating games?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jon Joe posted:

Anyone know of any procedurally generated cinematic and/or story-generating games?

Sort of: the Stanley Parable.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I've gotten way too into playing the Pokemon Card Game game on the original gameboy and I'm looking into other CCG games. I loved Yu-gi-oh as a kid and there's a bunch of those games and I also played one of the Magic the Gathering games when it was free on the 360. They're both big series' so I have no idea where to start.

Bonus points if it's like the Pokemon game where it's kind of open world, you run around winning new booster packs and and building your deck with whatever's in them since that's probably my favourite part.

Are there any other good games like this out there that are or aren't based on existing card games? Currently downloading the obvious Hearthstone which I'll probably love.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Beartaco posted:

So I've gotten way too into playing the Pokemon Card Game game on the original gameboy and I'm looking into other CCG games. I loved Yu-gi-oh as a kid and there's a bunch of those games and I also played one of the Magic the Gathering games when it was free on the 360. They're both big series' so I have no idea where to start.

Bonus points if it's like the Pokemon game where it's kind of open world, you run around winning new booster packs and and building your deck with whatever's in them since that's probably my favourite part.

Are there any other good games like this out there that are or aren't based on existing card games? Currently downloading the obvious Hearthstone which I'll probably love.

Yu-Gi-Oh games keep coming out and since they mostly quit making the weird anime rules ones you should either get the latest or get the one from whatever era you're most nostalgic for. They all have deck building based on packs you earn or buy, but some are menu driven rather than controlling a dude wandering around. IDK if there have been any Pokemon card games since the 2 on the Gameboy other than a current MMO that iirc is tied to real packs.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

Dwarf Fortress
:goonsay:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

VelociBacon posted:

Sort of: the Stanley Parable.

The Stanley Parable is not procedurally generated in any way.

That's kind of a strange request though and the only things I can think of that might fit the bill are just sandbox games where you make your own story.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Sleep is Death was an interesting concept but after its release it kind of sputtered and died

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jon Joe posted:

Façade?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

Space Rangers 2. You very much carve out your own story as you struggle with your rivals to climb the ranks and fight off the dominators. My first game ended with a doomed galaxy and the entire top 20 rangers making a final stand in the Sol system, with me and my hated rival from the tutorial struggling to survive - for a brief moment before our deaths, I was the universe's #1 ranger, and he was second :v:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Yo, two requests, one much more viable than the other.

#1: My friend and I are looking for a multiplayer game that has a massive amount of custom content and stuff - building your own bases, designing your character and clothing from the ground up, etc. We are not looking for The Second Life. Do not expect this one to be filled, but it'd be amazing if it were.

#2: Same friend and I are also looking for what amounts to a multiplayer fantasy RPG. Not the new Divinity game though (they've already played through it) and not Dark Souls - already have the latter. Any help folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Galick posted:

Yo, two requests, one much more viable than the other.

#1: My friend and I are looking for a multiplayer game that has a massive amount of custom content and stuff - building your own bases, designing your character and clothing from the ground up, etc. We are not looking for The Second Life. Do not expect this one to be filled, but it'd be amazing if it were.

#2: Same friend and I are also looking for what amounts to a multiplayer fantasy RPG. Not the new Divinity game though (they've already played through it) and not Dark Souls - already have the latter. Any help folks?

For 2: The old Infinity Engine games all had multiplayer. Set up a LAN game over Hamachi or the like?

For 1, let me know, and I'll play too :v: