Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

This, plus a lack of properly marked and labeled NPCs/locations are the real problem. There's nothing really wrong with the Rail Nomads map, it's just that the tools the game gives you are too clunky to use to smoothly navigate around it.

You can double-click on the map to jump to it and then click on the ground to have your characters move there. That's really helpful, but the map still could really use a "view window" box of some sort. It is pretty hard to get my bearings in the game. I feel like I need to zoom out farther - some buildings are simply so large that it's easy to even forget what side of the building you're on due to how much of the screen they eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kenshin posted:

The single biggest improvement they could make with the map would be the ability to click on an area of the map you've already been to and have your characters start running there.

I'm actually totally fine with how it is currenty, which is a double click on the map, which takes your camera to the point you double clicked on, and then a right click, to get your guys walking.

It's a VERY simple two step process right now, and I think it's more than okay.

It's not a very big deal, but I wish you could place markers, because some things I have to return to because I don't have the appropriate skills, or just want to make a quick note on the map (not the mission), but it's okay that we can't.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, an RTS-style clickable minimap would be a nice QOL improvement.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Is there any way to sleep/rest to recover CON? Or are medpacks the only way?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Apparition posted:

Is there any way to sleep/rest to recover CON? Or are medpacks the only way?

Medpacks and the pain pills and doctors at the big towns. No resting that I know of.

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
"Once you leave for California, there's no coming back."

.. anyone know where I can find candy? This "The Night Terror" is in dire need of some candy and I haven't found any yet.
he's been following me, tanking his 8000 hp with 0 damage output since Darwin's Village and deserves a reward.. just can't find any.
If it's in California, nvm...

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Drifter posted:

Medpacks and the pain pills and doctors at the big towns. No resting that I know of.

Also, Concussions. Got one? Can ONLY be cured via actual doctor, which I guess works? But that -1 Awareness/INT though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The lore and general feel of the game is delightfully weird, especially the groups in California.

Mechanically, California stinks.

It sort of feels like they ran out of time for that part of the game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

freshmeat.popsicle posted:

.. anyone know where I can find candy? This "The Night Terror" is in dire need of some candy and I haven't found any yet.
he's been following me, tanking his 8000 hp with 0 damage output since Darwin's Village and deserves a reward.. just can't find any.

His definition of candy is quite morbid by our standards :P

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

widespread posted:

Also, Concussions. Got one? Can ONLY be cured via actual doctor, which I guess works? But that -1 Awareness/INT though.

You're not gonna die if you have one less Awareness for a while. Everything that matters is mostly skill based, not attribute based anyways.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

"Candy" is not candy.

Bits of humans and animals, on the other hand...

I don't know how much you have to give him--he's still following me around in California--but in beta I found piles and piles of human bits in chests in various areas, and after eating a lot of human hearts and hands and a few animal bits he stopped following me saying he was "sleepy." I don't know what is supposed to happen after that.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Drifter posted:

You're not gonna die if you have one less Awareness for a while. Everything that matters is mostly skill based, not attribute based anyways.

I know. It just feels weird having that constantly in your buffs/ailments section.

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011

HAHAHAHA
Jar of Pickles.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is that Darwin Village place in Cali? Or is it Arizona?

Just kinda curious, didnt see it in AZ. Went to Highpool first.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Darwin VIllage is in the northeast. You'll be told of it when you get to the citadel after doing Highpool or Ag.

Did any of you actually find the password to release Night Terror, or did you all just hack the internet to get him out?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

He seems to like anything remotely edible, I've given him animal body parts, cans of tuna, if I find some fruits or vegetables I'll give him those too.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Drifter posted:

Darwin VIllage is in the northeast. You'll be told of it when you get to the citadel after doing Highpool or Ag.

Did any of you actually find the password to release Night Terror, or did you all just hack the internet to get him out?

I used computer science.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is there a way to save the traveller,
Sarah, who loses her legs?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So I think I might have run in to a gamebreaking bug right at the start of California;

I cleared out the dogs and patched up the fence in the initial area, and went through the dialog with the radio operator. He told me he was giving me a key to open the southern gates and explore Cali, but I never got a key. I'm still not able to open the door to get out. Was there something else that I was supposed to do to get the key? I exhausted all of the NPC's dialog and I'm still left keyless.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Vahakyla posted:

Is there a way to save the traveller,
Sarah, who loses her legs?

Yes. Shoot the guy who's harassing her before her Monk gets any bright ideas.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Does Angie's return to base have story consequences? I was thinking of just swapping her out for Ralphy (not exactly a like for like replacement) before heading to Canyon of Titan, so that I'm not left a party member short once I get there... Having Angie hanging around in the mess hall would be a bonus for weapon smithing purposes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

The single biggest improvement they could make with the map would be the ability to click on an area of the map you've already been to and have your characters start running there.

You mean minimap or Megamap?

For minimap, pull it up. Double right-click on an area. It will zoom to that area. Right click once. Your party is headed there, but you'll have to wait for them to arrive, but at least it means not micro-managing the travel through the town/desert/cave/whatever to get there. It's super handy for going to an exit point after you've cleared an area out. It's super not-handy if there are landmines you haven't yet cleared and your party decides to step on every one of them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

so fuckin' sexy just like patrick swazye

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This game is still kicking my rear end up and down the field. I'm not far in, I mean I'm in...Highpool? One of the two options you get after the training wheels first mission. One of my three gun toters has a jam every fight, my knife guy gets nothing but air on every swing against a radroach. I distributed my combat skills so my mans would have a little versatility, so they have an average of 3 in a weapons skill. Did I miss up? Should I have put 5 to start up with?

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Red Crown posted:

This game is still kicking my rear end up and down the field. I'm not far in, I mean I'm in...Highpool? One of the two options you get after the training wheels first mission. One of my three gun toters has a jam every fight, my knife guy gets nothing but air on every swing against a radroach. I distributed my combat skills so my mans would have a little versatility, so they have an average of 3 in a weapons skill. Did I miss up? Should I have put 5 to start up with?

Did you get Angela Deth back at ranger HQ? She is level 14 and has 6 skill in assault rifles. Her purpose is to walk you through the low levels so you don't die so much. She is incredibly lethal.

How do you have a jam every fight? Are you burst firing your assault rifles? Using heavy weapons? Did you dump luck to 1 on everyone? If you have weaponsmithing you can create some mods pretty easily that give -4% chance to jam on your guns. That should stop jams from ever being a problem.

You should save for weapon skill 4 I guess. Those early few weapon skill blips are incredibly noticeable and important. You don't really need to rush much higher than 4 or 5 skill in weapons this early though. Skill 6 should be good enough to breeze through Arizona and getting your non combat skills up at that point are much more important. It's just that little bit in the beginning where you are under weapon skill level 5 that hurts so much. Make sure you use cover or crouch since thats an extra +10% chance to hit.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there some trick to getting the infected farm and other shitzone to spawn after ag centre? I want my loving coordination cows

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Verviticus posted:

is there some trick to getting the infected farm and other shitzone to spawn after ag centre? I want my loving coordination cows

Talk to Sue. He'll give you the questline.

He's in the smaller wing of the ag center, with the old Melon guy, in a room adjacent to the entrance of that wing.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ah ha, thanks. i did highpool first last time and they were automatic. talked to that guy but not after i finished the area

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Conversely, I'm still looking for the other sites where the infection spreads after Ag Center is destroyed. I've been to...Knottingwood? The town where the town locked themselves in the jail to be safe. And the farm. I am now followed by angry zombie cows that keep respawning no matter how many times they are killed by friendly or hostile fire. Are there other places? I thought there were four but they haven't popped up in my explorations yet.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Is luck still considered a dump stat? What about coordination?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Lotish posted:

Conversely, I'm still looking for the other sites where the infection spreads after Ag Center is destroyed. I've been to...Knottingwood? The town where the town locked themselves in the jail to be safe. And the farm. I am now followed by angry zombie cows that keep respawning no matter how many times they are killed by friendly or hostile fire. Are there other places? I thought there were four but they haven't popped up in my explorations yet.

there were two that radioed in, the village and the farm. i think the train station is ag centre first only

note to self: save before doing the cow farm

Elderbean posted:

yes, no

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Elderbean posted:

Luck has been pretty drat useful to me - it gives me an extra AP and lets me critically hit somewhat reliably. Put luck at a 4 and combat is kinda cool.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Luck has an enormous effect on weapon jamming until you get a really high skill. I've modded my weapons to have 1% jam chance and poo poo still happens all the time on my lower luck characters. Coordination is the biggest bang for buck in terms of AP, so it's not really the best dump stat.

oh yeah, and my dumb thug melee guy with intelligence of 1 (so poo poo skills) but luck of 6 gets crits and bonus AP all the time with his heavy weapons LMG. Luck can do some nice things for you.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 24, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Lotish posted:

Luck has an enormous effect on weapon jamming until you get a really high skill. I've modded my weapons to have 1% jam chance and poo poo still happens all the time on my lower luck characters. Coordination is the biggest bang for buck in terms of AP, so it's not really the best dump stat.

i have one luck on every single character except npcs and i cant remember the last time a weapon jammed at 1-2%. i dont think luck or weapon skill actually has anything to do with it

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Where is the Diamondback Leader after the assault on the temple interior? The quest is over and DBM have taken the courtyard, just cant find him

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If it isn't my character's luck, then it must be mine. :sigh:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Did someone earlier in the thread say that they got through Darwin's Village without killing any zombies? If so, how? As far as I can tell it's literally impossible to get past the initial zombies without them initiating combat, and once you are in combat you can't open the hatch at the end.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Having above average luck grants at least somebody in my squad +1 AP every other turn which can be really helpful sometimes.

Red Crown posted:

Nah, you did the right thing. Power through. Balanced skills will let you get almost all the loot vs an extra 5% chance to hit with weapons (which you can mitigate with a decent gun smith). Unless you have a bunch of silly character skills together (like a high intelligence melee character or something) its hard to screw up.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Did someone earlier in the thread say that they got through Darwin's Village without killing any zombies? If so, how? As far as I can tell it's literally impossible to get past the initial zombies without them initiating combat, and once you are in combat you can't open the hatch at the end.

Yes you can.

the easiest way to do this is to send only one character that can fix the A/C, preferably with lots of combat movement and AP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Red Crown posted:

I'm only playing on Seasoned rather than Ranger or higher, but Highpool was a level I had to be kind of careful on and where I put my surgeons to use a few times. Since then, I've been happy with my builds. It was slightly rough going at first, but I'm taking it slow and hitting every major point along the way without much issue to the point of it being almost too easy now. I just barely hit Nomad Railroads and I'm rocking M16s, have piles of explosives, am sitting at level 10 or so, and haven't been in serious danger of losing a person since Ag Center, friendly fire criticals from my rear end in a top hat snipers notwithstanding.

• Locked thread