Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

There is an infinite array of better things to do with your time

Eh. It's not bad for filling time at work. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Littlefinger posted:

You wrote 'wank' twice.

He likes wank.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Before I started frequenting TG I was usually in D&D's USPol, crazy political forwards and PoliToon threads. I feel like it's sort of a wash.

Back when the majority* of my posting was in the original grogs.txt, I also spent a lot of time in the politoon thread. I'm surprised I didn't give myself an aneurysm.

* I had over a thousand posts there. It was like two-thirds of my posting history for a loooooong time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair, grogs.txt was sort of the tg chat thread for a very long time

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was pretty rad back when it was a voice calling out the shitbag in this hobby. Nobody's really taken up the slack, and I'm almost certain that's why two grog.txt super-offenders are credited in the year's largest rpg release.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, it wasn't so bad at first either, because it was more about terrible rules or passive-aggressive GMs than the poo poo that came up later.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The fact is, most of the fun grog like DM MASK is long done with little new to replace it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why not close or goldmine the thread, then? If it's not producing fun material (which I can barely search on the thread since people are just RSSing whatever Skarka or Pundit or another prick), there is no reason to keep grogs.txt around.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

In case you were stuck for campaign ideas:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't see how giant killer crabs are raising the stakes by taking up human sacrificing as a hobby. You already went on a few murderous rampages crabs, like steal a nuke or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zurui posted:

In case you were stuck for campaign ideas:

I'm honestly amazed those aren't by Garth Marenghi.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
All I'm thinking when looking at those covers is "No! Bad Kingler! No pokeblocks for you!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Also sure sure I know its ritual sacrifices but do you really need that knife? You have a pincher, if anything that should be a more ritualistic way to kill someone.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Also sure sure I know its ritual sacrifices but do you really need that knife? You have a pincher, if anything that should be a more ritualistic way to kill someone.

Well, it's not like a crab could fire a gun. It couldn't work the trigger without fingers.

Seriously, dude, think before you post. You're just embarrassing yourself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hey, has anyone else ever had problems with Orokos and logging in to use the dice roller? After registering a couple days ago, my log-in never worked, so I figured it was gonna send me a verification email or whatever. Except that never came in. Last night I tried logging in again and it actually worked! Expect now, this afternoon, its not working again. I put in my name and pass, hit enter, and it just seems to process for a second before blanking out the fields like it rejected me (but with no error message). I'm using Firefox, if that matters.

[edit] I think Last Pass might've been loving things up. I managed to create a new account using a completely different name just fine. :shrug:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 24, 2014

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
g.txt did get kinda ugly at times, but it could also be fun. The biggest issue I think is that it got so big that we largely mined out most of the grog from the past, even getting into stuff like crazy usenet posts and groggy letters to Dragon Magazine from the 70s. That leaves us with a lot of the guys who think they're in a "culture war," eyeroll-inducing ENWorld posts, and a bit of the stuff where someone turned their DeviantArt fetish into d20 prestige classes, and not nearly as much of the fun-crazy stuff. The current version is kind of vestigial, but probably better for everyone's mental health all the same.

moths posted:

It was pretty rad back when it was a voice calling out the shitbag in this hobby. Nobody's really taken up the slack, and I'm almost certain that's why two grog.txt super-offenders are credited in the year's largest rpg release.
OTOH one of those guys is one of the most obsessive self-googlers in the universe, so hopefully people realizing that mentioning him in any way is a bad idea will lead to him sliding into irrelevance. The most bizarre thing about the whole 5e consultants thing was that it happened at all despite those guys' awfulness being so readily apparent in what they voluntarily put on the internet as the stuff they want everyone to see, with or without the peanut gallery chiming in.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Honestly I think the death of conversation in g.txt is the main issue. Without people commenting or naysaying what goes in there, it's just a relentless march of negativity. Granted, that conversation is what made it a pain for mods past, but there's no feeling of community in the thread anymore; it's just a dumping ground.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
After seeing the cover, I actually looked up and read Crabs: The Human Sacrifice. It's almost as stupid as it looks, but I'm afraid to report that no crab ever wields a sword during the book.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly I think the death of conversation in g.txt is the main issue. Without people commenting or naysaying what goes in there, it's just a relentless march of negativity. Granted, that conversation is what made it a pain for mods past, but there's no feeling of community in the thread anymore; it's just a dumping ground.
Don't you think, though, that the really frantic aggressive conversation wouldn't be as big of a problem now? I don't want to get into calling out specific posters but it seems like the attitudes where posters wanted to make grogs.txt into some kind of crusade have kind of subsided (or lit themselves on fire like Tibetan monks even with the absence of the thread over various other things).

I just miss the old thread because it was one of the most fun things on the forums that reminded me of the kind of things that attracted me to SA way back in the day. Also I think Grognards.next is a great thread title.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I dunno how taking off the Grog tax would help, ARB. At this point it wojld be just people commenting 'oooh i can't believe he said that!" or "what a douche!" and circlejerking a billion times like goddamn gamers.txt before Kewpuh gave carte blanche for people to troll and shitpost there.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly, I'm fine with g.txt being a dumping ground of horrible things. People wringed most of the humor out of grog stuff already, so there won't be many good jokes if people could chat in there again. That leaves anger, and although the kind of stuff that gets posted in grogs is worth getting angry about, you can't sustain a thread based on just righteous anger for more than ten pages before people start burning themselves out.

As it is, all grognards.txt does is show that people in the RPG community are still poo poo, and I'm honestly fine with keeping it as that. It's important to remind people about that, even if it makes for a dull, depressing thread.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NorgLyle posted:

Don't you think, though, that the really frantic aggressive conversation wouldn't be as big of a problem now? I don't want to get into calling out specific posters but it seems like the attitudes where posters wanted to make grogs.txt into some kind of crusade have kind of subsided (or lit themselves on fire like Tibetan monks even with the absence of the thread over various other things).

Quite possibly, but it's hard to say. Grog changes a person. Grog changes you. It's hard to tell who'll turn into a babbling dork over it until you open the floodgates. But yeah, it attracted me towards being a regular poster, even if I myself was too eager a grog-miner back in the day.

But we are no longer Red Mage, it's true.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I dunno how taking off the Grog tax would help, ARB. At this point it wojld be just people commenting 'oooh i can't believe he said that!" or "what a douche!" and circlejerking a billion times like goddamn gamers.txt before Kewpuh gave carte blanche for people to troll and shitpost there.

:ironicat:

Well, on the other hand, comments like that at least give a feeling that there's a larger community that doesn't approve of Amaterasu's PC-annihilating vagina or whatever horror has cropped up. As it is, it's more like walking into a Hell House alone with the worst examples of gaming laid out before you, with no consolation but to go to another thread where things are better.

I would say to open it up entirely or close it down and let the commentary that would normally go into it shift to other threads, whatever. Just keep in mind it was a thread that was both goldmined and burned to the ground, but the thread didn't honestly change that much between iterations, in my opinion. It was more attitudes towards the thread in general that changed. Maybe the goldmining just encouraged the grog feeding frenzy too much to the point of the posts that shut it down. That's the closest thing I have to a theory, anyway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also saying that the RPG community as a whole is lovely is like one of the most shortsighted things you can do. You are talking about thousands, maybe a few million, people on different continents but taking assumptions because of english-speaking persons on a few forums is like saying that football is lovely because of how a third league team in Bavaria plays.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Quite possibly, but it's hard to say. Grog changes a person. Grog changes you.

Tell me about it. :smithicide:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Grogs.txt is just a centralizing force; most of that poo poo would be somewhere else on the forum. It's not like there aren't page-long "haha GMS is a tool" sections of the chat thread. I could see someone getting overzealous and posting address/picture information in a chat thread, too. I think grogs.txt helps siphon poo poo from other threads, and is a better place to showcase certain laughable stuff (which is 50% of the reason a lot of people like SA), but it's not like it makes a big enough difference that the forums will go Mad Max without it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Clearly the new hashtag for the thread is #NotAllRPGers.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also saying RPG community as a whole is lovely is like one of the most shortsighted things you can do. You are talking about thousands, maybe a few million, people on different continents but taking assumptions because of english-speaking persons on a few forums is like saying that football is lovely because of how a third league team in Bavaria plays.

Plutonis, as someone who has played in enough pbps with you to maybe be considered your friend, of course I mean the english-speaking scene. We're on a English-speaking board full of English-speaking people. The english-speaking RPG community is the only RPG community most of the forum has access to. The only context I have for the Japanese RPG scene is some RPGs that were released in Japan a decade ago and got translated to English now and that one gag manga that some people on 4chan are translating. The only context I have for the European RPG scene are eurogames and the occasional traditional RPG that I don't pay attention to because I'm not interested in traditional fantasy these days. The only context I have for the South American RPG scene is that one old grogs.txt post from a guy who GMed a game for a bunch of corrupt cops and you.

So yes, when I say the RPG community is poo poo, assume I mean the RPG community I can actually interact with in a meaningful way because of the various language barriers and difficulty of acquisition of foreign RPGs is poo poo. I'm honestly insulted that you thought I meant every RPG community in the world.

(Also, gently caress you for writing off all the lovely parts of the English-speaking RPG community as just some english-speaking people on a few forums because the entire online presence of RPGs in the English-speaking world is 'a few forums'.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 24, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also regarding GMS, maybe obsessing with a weirdo and posting every single blog post he makes for mockery is a bad idea and inevitably ends with someone taking stuff too far?

Doobie, Romeo Rose and Ulillilia are proof enough :witch:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Also saying that the RPG community as a whole is lovely is like one of the most shortsighted things you can do. You are talking about thousands, maybe a few million, people on different continents but taking assumptions because of english-speaking persons on a few forums is like saying that football is lovely because of how a third league team in Bavaria plays.

Unfortunately, that third league team in Bavaria doesn't have an incredibly loud mouthpiece with which they try to dominate discourse on the internet. By and large, the majority of people are pretty moderate in the RPG community and they are just pretty unassuming and have a decent time playing their elfgames and that's all good.

Then you have people like Zak S. and Pundit who are involved in the RPG equivalent of the UEFA Champions League and they're using that involvement as a giant soapbox to profess that they way they see the world and RPGs is The One True Way to do so. And there are lots of angry grogs who although a minor presence through and through, will rally around such figures and spread their message of ignorance.

The fact that they're so loud will lead passerbys or people who are mildly interested in the hobby to believe that they represent the hobby, and since they do the hobby's not worth getting into. It's like going into a comic store and having it be populated by Cat-Piss-Man or have the guy at the register be the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. They're so repellant as people that you want nothing to do with what they enjoy or represent.

Edit: Yeah, it's definitely linguistically biased. People in Portugal and Spain probably don't even know who the hell GMS or Pundit or Zak S. are and they probably care even less. But the idea of the sweaty, overweight otaku goes well beyond English and Japanese-speaking and is part of global culture. D&D Grogs are probably part of D&D's global culture as well, and regardless of language there will probably always be edition-warriors.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 24, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

No the industry actually is fairly small to the point where I was flabbergasted as to how many different connections I've made by sheer accident.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

Unfortunately, that third league team in Bavaria doesn't have an incredibly loud mouthpiece with which they try to dominate discourse on the internet. By and large, the majority of people are pretty moderate in the RPG community and they are just pretty unassuming and have a decent time playing their elfgames and that's all good.

Then you have people like Zak S. and Pundit who are involved in the RPG equivalent of the UEFA Champions League and they're using that involvement as a giant soapbox to profess that they way they see the world and RPGs is The One True Way to do so. And there are lots of angry grogs who although a minor presence through and through, will rally around such figures and spread their message of ignorance.

The fact that they're so loud will lead passerbys or people who are mildly interested in the hobby to believe that they represent the hobby, and since they do the hobby's not worth getting into. It's like going into a comic store and having it be populated by Cat-Piss-Man or have the guy at the register be the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. They're so repellant as people that you want nothing to do with what they enjoy or represent.

I sincerely doubt that they have any more influence on RPG popularity than the fact that you can't learn how to play RPGs without seeking them out and visiting comic-book stores etc. In fact, I seriously doubt that any dedicated RPG website, forum, etc. has that much effect on the hobby as a whole even in the English-speaking segment.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, yes, #NotAllGamers. Not talking about things will not actually resolve issues, though, and there's been some genuine resolution going on precisely because conversations took place where before no one would say anything.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also regarding GMS, maybe obsessing with a weirdo and posting every single blog post he makes for mockery is a bad idea and inevitably ends with someone taking stuff too far?

Doobie, Romeo Rose and Ulillilia are proof enough :witch:

Plutonis, just do me a favor and don't take this idea to the logical conclusion and be ashamed of people for getting mad at people being complete shitheads. Because I can get being tired of people laughing at GMS for being a jackass, but if you start rolling your eyes at stuff like people being mad at Zak S-style bullshit you will never hear the loving end of it from me.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

TG October Chat Thread: Seriousposting with Plutonis

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Yes, yes, #NotAllGamers. Not talking about things will not actually resolve issues, though, and there's been some genuine resolution going on precisely because conversations took place where before no one would say anything.

gently caress off with that bullshit comparison. I'm saying that RPG blogs and websites are basically irrelevant to the majority of the hobby, and since RPG.net, the largest RPG-related discussion website, has 10,000 active users compared to millions of people playing RPGs as a whole back in 1999, the facts would seem to bear that up without extraordinary evidence. Realistically, the influence of a couple of jackasses on people playing is only going to be devastating if you believe in the ways of magic.

In addition, comparing John Tarnowski's freakish behavior to actual deaths and violence is disgusting.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Effectronica posted:

gently caress off with that bullshit comparison.
Do you know how many times I've seen Zak S actually get brought up in a "professional game" context? I'll give you a little hint. The answer isn't the one you would want it to be.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

Do you know how many times I've seen Zak S actually get brought up in a "professional game" context? I'll give you a little hint. The answer isn't the one you would want it to be.

I'm talking about players, not developers. I didn't expect you to understand this subtlety, admittedly. There are probably fewer RPG developers, amateur and pro, than professional novelists who make a living off their work, but there are millions of people who play the games and 99% have no idea who the random people being credited in D&D NEXT are.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Effectronica posted:

I'm talking about players, not developers. I didn't expect you to understand this subtlety, admittedly.
You missed the post where I said the player base isn't that large to start off with.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Effectronica posted:

gently caress off with that bullshit comparison. I'm saying that RPG blogs and websites are basically irrelevant to the majority of the hobby, and since RPG.net, the largest RPG-related discussion website, has 10,000 active users compared to millions of people playing RPGs as a whole back in 1999, the facts would seem to bear that up without extraordinary evidence. Realistically, the influence of a couple of jackasses on people playing is only going to be devastating if you believe in the ways of magic.

In addition, comparing John Tarnowski's freakish behavior to actual deaths and violence is disgusting.

Well, that's the funny thing about the silent majority. It's impossible to tell what their opinion is because they're silent. Are there thousands of cool people playing RPGs and not talking about it online? Maybe. I hope so. I can't tell, because there hasn't been actual research about this released for a decade, but I hope so. That doesn't make the percentage of the conversation controlled by shitheads in the RPG community any smaller though, because they aren't actually talking or making their presence known in any way.

Also, actual people are being actually harassed by actual regressive shitheads in the RPG community. Rulebook Heavily knows several of them. Stop acting like that's a thing that's not happening and isn't really horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

How is it a bullshit comparison? The entire point I'm seeing here is that a number of people (some, most, many, lots, whatever fuzzword we want) are not awful and do not listen to awful people, therefore it's unfair to call the hobby/industry of said hobby they enjoy awful just because awful people are given prominence in it.

Let me put it this way; you are saying that a man getting his name (or public internet handle if we want to be pedantic) in the single largest product of the entire hobby by far is "irrelevant" to the hobby. It's not. His voice was loud enough to get his foot in that door, and it's the loud voices that are heard. The current lead designer of D&D was influenced by his blog and gave him room in the book.

At that point, quibbling over exactly how many people read the man's blog is #NotAllX pontificating. He had enough influence in enough right places to get a name into the big granddaddy RPG product, however briefly it may turn out to be. The people who don't listen to him didn't get a say in that. The industry is absolutely teeming with this sort of thing. How is pointing that out more unfair to said communities than not saying anything at all, exactly?

For instance, the post quoted on this blog post (via quote-by-tweet)? It's an RPG industry person writing this sentence without irony:

quote:

but I also have to ask what's up with the excess of women? Call me a chauvinist if you like, but it's just...weird. The majority of the class and race illustrations are women. With the human illustrations, they tried to be so politically correctly racial diverse that none of it looks like a part of any coherent fantasy world?

But somehow, pointing out that this is a thing that happens at the industry level a whole hell of a lot and could be improved is unfair to hypothetical communities and individual gamers somewhere in the world because they're not personally that awful? Really? I'd hope that most non-awful people would look at that and go "whoah, not cool" and not take it so personally. Or look at it and go "I don't want this here, let's not be that."

• Locked thread