Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Magnus Gallant posted:

Merks definitely town after that

If I'm left alive, irrational merk fear will bubble up and someone will say it was a gambit in about 3 game days. I'll probably get lynched with no case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

If I'm left alive, irrational merk fear will bubble up and someone will say it was a gambit in about 3 game days. I'll probably get lynched with no case.

There's no such thing as irrational merk fear.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
3 game days? How about 3 game minutes. I'm on to you merk!

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

There's no such thing as irrational merk fear.

The fear is rational

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'll say it's a gambit now

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'll say it's a gambit now

At least that's out of the way.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Rarity and merk are scum.

Gg

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I don't see the contradiction you're asking me. If you look at my original post, I said I used both the average number that would need to be deposited: my 5 being just shy of that number, which was 6.75, or 7 if you want to round up, you can argue what constitutes shy I guess, but give me some benefit of the doubt I am capable of some elementary math. I kind of get that you are going for my choice of words "pretty good" to graduate a case on me into compelling but you are assuming I was using some relative distances between numbers as many only thought process (which I laid out in my original posts as straight forward as possible I thought).

Scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Why would you ever volunteer as the last person without any discussion in thread at all if you are only going to contribute 75% of the average needed to pass the check?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I figured 21 would be doable for the other three. Seeing what my highest point value is. That's why I figured 6 was fine. 5 is pushing it.

we got very lucky this challenge

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

merk posted:

Why would you ever volunteer as the last person without any discussion in thread at all if you are only going to contribute 75% of the average needed to pass the check?

Merk, I like your thought process, but one thing about it is stopping me from voting Rascyc. Why would he, as scum, claim 5?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Hi. I'm at work / busy day / deadline in Beard Mafia. I'll read and contribute tomorrow morning AEST. Thanks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

apostateCourier posted:

Merk, I like your thought process, but one thing about it is stopping me from voting Rascyc. Why would he, as scum, claim 5?

At the time we thought we'd lost the challenge. If he'd claimed higher than 5 then we might have ended up over 27 and then it would be obvious someone was lying.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

apostateCourier posted:

He figured we'd have a total of 26 or 25, and he could throw out some WIFOM that everyone was Town but we just failed at contributing enough. He claimed 5 after we "failed" the challenge.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

merk posted:

I just realized what you did. That's a pretty lovely / game-breaking way to confirm me as Town.

You should probably restart this setup after that post. I know apostate is Town and he knows I am Town because you didn't discuss whether you would send out PMs to players who won challenges with their point totals.

This post makes absolutely no sense given what you claimed to be assuming. At this point, you stated that:

1) you had not received a PM and
2) you were assuming that aC had volunteered and had also not received a PM.

If this were true, then the fact that neither of you had received PMs would not confirm or break anything at all since it could be assumed that any scum in the challenge also would not have received PMs.

Seems like you thought you had a good way to claim confirmed town, then once you realised that the logic didn't make sense (quite apart from the fact that aC hadn't volunteered) you backpedalled on it. Otherwise I just cannot get my head around what you were thinking with this post.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kerro posted:

If this were true, then the fact that neither of you had received PMs would not confirm or break anything at all since it could be assumed that any scum in the challenge also would not have received PMs.

Scum who didn't receive a PM (and didn't get any points from the challenge) wouldn't know whether Town received PMs (who did get points from the challenge).

It's a perfect way to have confirmed two people in the challenge as Town based on mod actions if my assumptions were actually correct.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Oh okay that reasoning makes sense. Seems like there are a whole lot of assumptions you'd have to make to reach the conclusion that this scenario was game breaking though. Maybe the sort of assumptions you'd want to check.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Rarity posted:

Firstly, 5 is nowhere near 1/4 of 27. Now you saying that you assumed people could contribute enough to make up for it doesn't vibe with this at all.

If you had an 8/9, which is what you'd need to have to think you could get away with submitting 5, then you wouldn't think of 5 as 'pretty good'.

##vote Rarity
"sevenths"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Gonna go with ##vote Capitalist Scum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

##vote Rarity
"sevenths"

Huh?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kerro posted:

Seems like there are a whole lot of assumptions you'd have to make to reach the conclusion that this scenario was game breaking though. Maybe the sort of assumptions you'd want to check.

What's the purpose of these last two sentences, especially the last sentence? Are you just bashing me for being wrong or does this have anything to do with alignment?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I'm seeing two possible scenarios here (well 3, but the third one seems pretty improbable).

1) Rascyc is scum, contributes way too little in the hopes that town fails the challenge but he can still claim to have helped. Especially since we didn't know (I don't think?) whether the total score would be revealed. merk/Rarity are probably town but could be bussing.
2) Rascyc is town, makes a bad play. Scum have an awesome opportunity to jump on a townie with a highly defensible case, and one of tt/Rarity/merk is scum. Probably merk due to weird backpedalling around the PMs thing.
3) Both Rascyc and merk are town, I spend the rest of the game being suspicious of townies who just screwed up. Scum find the whole situation hilarious.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

merk posted:

What's the purpose of these last two sentences, especially the last sentence? Are you just bashing me for being wrong or does this have anything to do with alignment?

Just an overly wordy way of saying I don't buy it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kerro posted:

Just an overly wordy way of saying I don't buy it.

Does that come with a vote or just toothless overwording?

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

I already voted you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This has been a great game for me so far.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kerro posted:

I'm seeing two possible scenarios here (well 3, but the third one seems pretty improbable).

1) Rascyc is scum, contributes way too little in the hopes that town fails the challenge but he can still claim to have helped. Especially since we didn't know (I don't think?) whether the total score would be revealed. merk/Rarity are probably town but could be bussing.
2) Rascyc is town, makes a bad play. Scum have an awesome opportunity to jump on a townie with a highly defensible case, and one of tt/Rarity/merk is scum. Probably merk due to weird backpedalling around the PMs thing.
3) Both Rascyc and merk are town, I spend the rest of the game being suspicious of townies who just screwed up. Scum find the whole situation hilarious.

It was never revealed how many points were sent in. Just that we passed.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mills posted:

Hi. I'm at work / busy day / deadline in Beard Mafia. I'll read and contribute tomorrow morning AEST. Thanks.

i have also been horribly busy all day. this will get my attention when i get home.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Magnus Gallant posted:

It was never revealed how many points were sent in. Just that we passed.

Yeah I know, but I don't think we knew before the challenge that that was going to be the case, unless I missed something?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr Tastee posted:

Gonna go with ##vote Capitalist Scum

Literally made three posts.

One sign up for the game

One confirmation

and this

##vote tasteecakes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CapitalistPig posted:

One sign up for the game

One confirmation

and this

##vote tasteecakes

You should post more

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

CapitalistPig posted:

One sign up for the game

One confirmation

and this

##vote tasteecakes

Second post being a confirmation is shady to me.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Propaganda Machine posted:

i have also been horribly busy all day. this will get my attention when i get home.

Regardless of whether you're at work or at home, if you can post a message like this, you can post an actual response. These types of messages in Mafia are absolutely pointless.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Harold Krell posted:

Regardless of whether you're at work or at home, if you can post a message like this, you can post an actual response. These types of messages in Mafia are absolutely pointless.

bullshit.

i can't access pms from my phone, and i wanted to be able to take a look at my own stats before i jumped on the train of casing people based on contribution to the challenge, or lack thereof. i'd rather let people know i'm reading and keeping up than just being totally awol, especially when this game has been so ACTION-PACKED.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
oh hey, now that i look at it, literally your only contribution since 'confirmed' was that little gem. i think that makes you even less productive than tastee.

anyway, i'm in the camp that just doesn't understand why rascyc would be so eager to claim his meager contribution if he was scum. something about that doesn't sit right. then again, he's been both offering and denying more information than anybody has asked of him, which isn't quite sitting right.

i don't even with merk. and i'd raise an eyebrow at rarity's aggression, but the numbers did add up, but there were compelling enough arguments for scum to want to pass the first couple of these, so it's turning real wifom real fast with her.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Rascyc (2): Tremendous Taste, Rarity, merk, Tremendous Taste
Mr Tastee (2): Rarity, Rarity, Mr Tastee, CapitalistPig
merk (1): Kerro
Magnus Gallant (1): Tremendous Taste
Rarity (1): Lumpen
Kerro (1): MEDS CURE SCHIZOS

Not Voting (7): apostateCourier, Harold Krell, Magnus Gallant, Mills, Opopanax, Propaganda Machine, Rascyc

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 29th, 2014 at 7 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 3 days, 9 hours.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Harold Krell posted:

Do you think he's scum then?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
:siren: Can a mod please explain what Wildcard point and Anti-point are?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Merk, give me a believable reason why ras didn't just go "I put in 7". Why give a low number and draw attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

He figured we'd have a total of 26 or 25, and he could throw out some WIFOM that everyone was Town but we just failed at contributing enough. He claimed 5 after we "failed" the challenge.

• Locked thread