Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Aurora-Capitah posted:

I still can't decide why a cintiq type screen-tablet is any better in theory than a normal tablet aside from the fact I am used to drawing on paper.

In theory a separate tablet is better:

No hand occlusion
Attach to any PC
Bigger screen
Better ergonomics

So why am I still thinking of getting a drat surface pro 3 when I had a pro 1 and found it uncomfortable to use???

I guess I'm still just hoping it would be as easy as drawing on paper but it's just not quite there I don't think.

Maybe I should just stick to pencil and paper.

Aurora-Capitah posted:

I still can't decide why a cintiq type screen-tablet is any better in theory than a normal tablet aside from the fact I am used to drawing on paper.

In theory a separate tablet is better:

No hand occlusion
Attach to any PC
Bigger screen
Better ergonomics

So why am I still thinking of getting a drat surface pro 3 when I had a pro 1 and found it uncomfortable to use???

I guess I'm still just hoping it would be as easy as drawing on paper but it's just not quite there I don't think.

Maybe I should just stick to pencil and paper.

I have an Intuos 3 (from 2008) and a surface pro 2 for around 2 weeks-it's the portability that's great. The Intuos is collecting dust because I bought a giant one and moving stuff off the desk just to draw doesn't happen.

That said, sketching out is still better on paper for me-I'm not sure if this is because I'm still new to using the surface.

I think I like my brush pens and pencil too much, the dream is to get rid of paper but then I remember how happy paper makes me even though it's more tedious a workflow. You never win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Anyone with a surface-does the typecover fall off really easy or is it just mine?

(Hope nobody minds me double posting...)

Tetracell
Feb 16, 2008
My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb. Those that doubt me... suck cock by choice.
So I just started having this issue with my Wacom Intuos where the settings software for it is just not doing anything. The biggest problems are that it no longer accepts touch as an input, and it won't respect me setting the bounds to be just one monitor. Even if I manually select a screen area, it'll hold to it until the preferences window loses focus and then it's back to the complete desktop area. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and restarted like 10 times today, also throwing CCleaner in case there were some bad registry settings or something. Nothing has worked, and this is becoming super frustrating. Anyone more versed in the misery of tablet drivers / software have an idea of what I could do to fix this?

Edit : Actually touch works again, still no luck on getting screen boundaries to stick

Tetracell fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 12, 2014

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm looking into getting a drawing tablet, mostly so I can attempt to learn enough to semi-competently draw my RPG characters :v:. I've been doing a bit of looking around, but I'm a complete noob when it comes this kinda thing, so I figured I ask some people who know what the hell. Does anyone have any experience with the Monoprice or the Adesso CyberTablet?

I'm also welcoming any recommendations for budget tablets, stuff in the $60~ range.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

ShootaBoy posted:

I'm looking into getting a drawing tablet, mostly so I can attempt to learn enough to semi-competently draw my RPG characters :v:. I've been doing a bit of looking around, but I'm a complete noob when it comes this kinda thing, so I figured I ask some people who know what the hell. Does anyone have any experience with the Monoprice or the Adesso CyberTablet?

I'm also welcoming any recommendations for budget tablets, stuff in the $60~ range.

I've recommended the Huion Pro in the past, and I still do: http://www.amazon.com/Huion-H610-Graphics-Drawing-Tablet/dp/B00GIGGS6A/ It's about $10 over your budget, but it's worth the little extra. It comes highly recommended by Ray Frenden (http://frenden.com/post/87110791272/huion-h610-pro-h610-k58-graphics-tablet-review) and many others.

Reichsstand
Dec 14, 2013

Aurora-Capitah posted:

If you're used to WACOM digitizer-enabled tablets (such as an intuous), I immediately caution against buying a Surface Pro 3 until you try it for yourself.

To cut down costs on the device, they replaced the Wacom digitizer with a Chinese-made N-Trig. So while the additional surface area is really nice, the sensitivity of the N-trig digitizer for things like line thickness leaves a lot to be desired. You'll be pressing your stylus against the glass quite a bit with the Surface Pro 3, probably to the point of scratching it. This also means a much less natural feel during brush and pencil strokes.

Wacom users will probably be better off with a Surface Pro 2 instead. I slap a power cover on mine for the added battery life and I'm golden.

the_lion posted:

Anyone with a surface-does the typecover fall off really easy or is it just mine?

If your type cover is new, I would recommend exchanging it at the store. It means the magnets are defective.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
I've seen no complaints about scratching the screen and I haven't seen any artists complain about the digitizer other than the unfamiliar pressure curve.

That said, I think they were a little too ambitious with the 3. It's not a cheap device and there are still too many issues and quirks for my taste. I think it will benefit a lot from a Broadwell update, assuming it gets one. If not, here's to hoping the 4 nails it (which I've been saying since the 2).

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
How does the current Huion H610 stack up against an older Wacom Bamboo Pen (specifically the silver CTH461 Bamboo Craft Pen & Touch)?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm looking for a good small tablet PC for drawing, after getting unacceptable results with iPad mini styluses. Has anyone had any experience with the ASUS Vivotab Note 8? Price seems good for a tablet with a Wacom digitizer, and the main complaint I can see in reviews is that it's not the Surface. That's a reasonable criticism, but the Surface is too large for my current needs. Apparently the bundled pen isn't too great; would the stylus from my Intuos just work with it, or are there subtleties to which Wacom pens work with which digitizers?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'm thinking about finally moving up to a Cintiq. All I've ever used is Wacom Intuos tablets. I have an older secondary display that needs retiring (LaCie tube monitor) and I actually have the budget to blow on a 13 inch model.

It's been out for a while now, how are people living with it? How's the screen quality in terms of color accuracy? How is living with a Cintiq in general?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm looking for a good small tablet PC for drawing, after getting unacceptable results with iPad mini styluses. Has anyone had any experience with the ASUS Vivotab Note 8? Price seems good for a tablet with a Wacom digitizer, and the main complaint I can see in reviews is that it's not the Surface. That's a reasonable criticism, but the Surface is too large for my current needs. Apparently the bundled pen isn't too great; would the stylus from my Intuos just work with it, or are there subtleties to which Wacom pens work with which digitizers?

The VIVOTab should be using a Wacom FeelIT digitizer just like the Surface Pro. I find the default Surface pen lacking as well and substituted it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Microsoft-Surface-tablets-technology/dp/B00BVUQZZ2

It still only has the one button but feels way nicer and comes with replaceable nibs. Bit of a different pressure curve between this and the default pen, I prefer the it much more. Careful though because not just any Wacom pen will work, it has to be this specific one.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.
I tried out the VIVOTab 8 at the MS store, and found it to be really sluggish overall. The pen and Fresh Paint seemed to work okay but I couldn't get a feel for the pen's sensitivity, and that may be a result of it being an abused demo machine.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Reichsstand posted:

If you're used to WACOM digitizer-enabled tablets (such as an intuous), I immediately caution against buying a Surface Pro 3 until you try it for yourself.

To cut down costs on the device, they replaced the Wacom digitizer with a Chinese-made N-Trig. So while the additional surface area is really nice, the sensitivity of the N-trig digitizer for things like line thickness leaves a lot to be desired. You'll be pressing your stylus against the glass quite a bit with the Surface Pro 3, probably to the point of scratching it. This also means a much less natural feel during brush and pencil strokes.

Everything I've read suggests the N-Trig digitizer allowed for a thinner screen and greater accuracy at the edges. This is the first I've heard of there being issues with it on the Pro 3, on the other hand there have been problems with previous gen N-Trig devices so who knows.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
There are some downsides to N-Trig. The cursor doesn't track the pen as well when it's not in contact with the screen (I've read this is to save battery life in the pen), the pen is battery powered, it has fewer levels of pressure sensitivity (which won't even come into play unless you use brushes larger than 256pt), and the pressure curve is a little strange.

But the Wacom digitizer wasn't perfect either. It added thickness to the unit and wasn't great around the edges. In the end it's a tradeoff. Imo if you're interested in buying it don't let the n-trig discourage you.

Aurora-Capitah
Apr 29, 2014

by XyloJW
Anyone used galaxy note pro 12.2?

Sick of laggy windows.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

I've got a Note 10.1" 2014 edition model. It's pretty much the same thing internally, but a little smaller. It's reasonably speedy and high res. I find myself using Sketchbook and ArtFlow a lot, and I'm getting to grips with Clover Paint's odd UI.

Dr. Memory fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 30, 2014

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

Anyone hooked their iMac to the surface pro and used the iMac as a monitor?

There seems to be inconclusive evidence on the net. I've got a late 2012 iMac and a surface pro 2. The older iMacs seem to work (there's a video on YouTube) but not much on my model or above.

YouTube guy says you can use a mini display port cable ($8) or a thunderbolt cable ($40).

Reichsstand posted:

If your type cover is new, I would recommend exchanging it at the store. It means the magnets are defective.

Good advice-new cover is rock solid. Thanks!

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reinstalling my Intuos 4M on my new computer, but can't find my installation disc so I headed over to Wacoms driver page.

Snatching Intuos Pro 6.3.9w3 drivers (which should be the ones after the renaming?) gives me garbled text in the installation, probabl trying to install in Japanese despite grabbing them off the english page site, so kinda hard to tell if they've installed successfully or not. Any way around that? Considering how much the input is lagging in MS5 I'm assuming not. E: Seems like there's an option for legacy drivers, and those show up in english.

Secondly, how do I invert the tablet, I prefer to have the buttons on the right side when I'm drawing (left handed) but I've forgotten the key command. E: Sem to have found the answer to this one, just gotta unfuck these drivers first.
E2: or maybe not, because the wacom desktop center refuse to open :argh:

I can get into the seperate properties program and select left-handed use there, but that doesn't actually change anything :iiam:

Think I found it, the mapping tab under properties got an option for the expresskeys.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 31, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Picked up a used DTK2100 Cintiq 21UX today (intuos 4 pen compatible). Thing looks spotless, and I'm excited to use it to do real work.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I need some advice:

My Intuos 3 (maybe 4? I'm phone posting on my way home) from 2005 is 20x16 or something around that range. It's pretty big and also has a giant frame. The buttons only work half of the time and it's obviously lost a lot of sensitivity. It's pretty awful to use.

Lately I've been messing around with Art Academy on my 3DS and absolutely adore it. If I wanted a portable tablet to draw on the couch or on a train, what would be my best option that won't make me a sad poor person?

Current programs I use (as a complete amateur) are ArtRage, GIMP and I used to use Photoshop until getting a copy became too much of a hassle.

I'm not sure what the process would be for getting those programs as I have never owned a tablet.
Thanks.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

The cheapest ones are the Asus VivoTab 8 (Windows 8) and Galaxy Note 8" (Android). They both run about $300 or less these days.

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
How well do the Lenovo tablets (x220, etc.) hold up compared to the Asus and Surface Pros? Seems like it would be a good fit for those on a budget.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

How well do the Lenovo tablets (x220, etc.) hold up compared to the Asus and Surface Pros? Seems like it would be a good fit for those on a budget.

lenovo is french for bad

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
So last week I picked up an excellent condition used Cintiq 21ux mark 2 (the DTK model) for a decent price (about $1100). I've been using Wacoms of various types for the past fifteen years, between Graphires and Intuos. I'm not exactly the world's best artist and drawer but I needed to replace my ancient LaCie tube monitor and if I was going to spend $700+ on a new secondary display, I thought at least looking into Cintiqs would be worthwhile.

Everything that people say about Cintiqs is true, for good and ill. They are big, they are unwieldy (until you put it on an ergonomic desk arm), there is parallax, the surface is just a bit too slick. The display itself is fine for 2010-era tech, even though the black levels are mediocre. I've heard gripes about the brightness but when calibrating it I had no trouble hitting 120 cd/m with plenty of headroom. I've always been fighting against the disconnect that I have when using normal tablets, especially when hand lettering. I've never been able to shake it even though I've used them forever. Working on the Cintiq isn't exactly like working on paper, but it's pretty drat close for me. This particular example came with an Intuos4 Classic pen, since I'm guessing the original grip pen was lost or destroyed. I've never used the classic pens; it's basically the same as the Grip Pen except it's skinnier and more like a pen or pencil in size and thickness. You can't remove the side switch and put on a fatter grip. It seems fine enough.

As far as working on it goes, it's a decent experience. I wouldn't have shelled out $2K for one, but at half the price, it's a lot easier for me to justify it, especially when replacing an existing secondary display. The 13 inch model has a high pixel density that without some kind of UI scaling was tough for me to use when I demoed it, not to mention a few other things that put me off of it, like the finicky display connector, the stand, the lack of a touch strip or ring. When comparing to the Cintiq knockoffs, a used model starts making more sense. The Yiynova displays cost $600 for the 19 inch with a mediocre display, and I was hesitant spending $1K for the nice 22 inch IPS panel that inexplicably still uses a VGA cable and has a mediocre analog to digital converter. For that amount of scratch, why not play the used market for the genuine article? Getting a deal on a 21ux DTK-series model seems like a smart move because it's still compatible with the intuos4 era pens, which Wacom is still using.

I did discover a pretty weird bug that the Cintiqs with integrated DVI-I cables (that's combined VGA/DVI) have with nvidia cards. There's a driver issue where the display will always default to VGA when plugged into an Nvidia card and can't be switched to DVI. You need the DVI-I to DVI-D adapter to strip out the VGA signal and force DVI, otherwise you'll be stuck with a janky analog picture. Newer Cintiqs don't use DVI-I cables, they use DVI-D, so you won't run into this problem, but I imagine anyone with an Nvidia card looking at used 21UX DTZ or DTK models should be aware of it. Mine didn't have the adapter so I had to get one. Nvidia has known about this bug for years but has never fixed it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have a first-gen Intuos that I'm trying to get to work properly with Windows 8. It was working before, but only pressure sensitivity was working (not tilt). I installed the most recent version of the legacy drivers, and now the Wacom properties menu correctly registers pressure and tilt. However, this doesn't seem to be reflected in the input. That is, although you can see the x/y/pressure/tilt numbers changing appropriately on the control panel when you play with the pen, the cursor doesn't actually move, nor does it click.

Anyone have an idea on what I need to do to get this working?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Make sure to turn off windows ink in the tablet properties and see if that makes a difference?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Unfortunately, that doesn't even seem to be an option. The driver I have installed does support Windows Ink, but that option doesn't appear for this old Intuos model.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Argue posted:

Unfortunately, that doesn't even seem to be an option. The driver I have installed does support Windows Ink, but that option doesn't appear for this old Intuos model.

I think it's a service you need to disable.

Lansoc
Jan 3, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Just picked up a couple days ago the Wacom Intuos Pen and Touch medium and what a vast improvement from my 6 year old small Wacom I had been using. Still getting used to the extra area I have to work with.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sketchbook Pro 7 is 30% off for a day or so left

http://www.autodesk.com/store/sketchbook-pro

Is it good?

I have just got a Intous pen and touch and, well, I mean I probably don't need Sketchbook Pro but it's a deal and I'm wondering about getting it now for the future

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

echinopsis posted:

Sketchbook Pro 7 is 30% off for a day or so left

http://www.autodesk.com/store/sketchbook-pro

Is it good?

I have just got a Intous pen and touch and, well, I mean I probably don't need Sketchbook Pro but it's a deal and I'm wondering about getting it now for the future

I have Sketchbook Pro 6. It's got the coolest digital approximation of actual paint I've ever seen. You can move your brush around and the paint smears and smudges sort of realistically. It's far from perfect but you can do some realistic looking digital paintings if you play with it enough.

The biggest problem is that the maximum canvas size is only 6400x6400. That's not even 11 inches at 600 dpi. Doesn't seem like they've fixed that in version 7.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MondayHotDog posted:

I have Sketchbook Pro 6. It's got the coolest digital approximation of actual paint I've ever seen. You can move your brush around and the paint smears and smudges sort of realistically. It's far from perfect but you can do some realistic looking digital paintings if you play with it enough.

The biggest problem is that the maximum canvas size is only 6400x6400. That's not even 11 inches at 600 dpi. Doesn't seem like they've fixed that in version 7.

Those issues won't be a concern for me.

I am having trouble buying it though. I want to buy it from the US store because it's shitloads more expensive in Australian dollars, I am in NZ and I think that might be why it's not letting me do it.

You're going to force me to pirate Autodesk! You motherfuckers won't even take my money

Might use Tunnelbear to make it look like I am in the US :smugmrgw:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

Those issues won't be a concern for me.

I am having trouble buying it though. I want to buy it from the US store because it's shitloads more expensive in Australian dollars, I am in NZ and I think that might be why it's not letting me do it.

You're going to force me to pirate Autodesk! You motherfuckers won't even take my money

Due to international bla bla bla licensing bla bla bla price that is fair for consumers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it sure is fair that I can see it online for cheaper but can't buy it for that price.

gently caress it. I was willing to get it for $45USD but $69AUD? gently caress that, it's like an extra $20

And my tunnelbear thing isn't working properly for this.

Welp. I'll go back to using free software

e: never mind that the Australian store isn't even working properly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Welp I purchased it from the US through a proxy. Hopefully I didn't just throw my money down the toilet.

e: Because wtf with having to wait for it? I just paid the money and it's a download I paid for, why do I have to wait for it to be processed? Jesus fuckin christ

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

Welp I purchased it from the US through a proxy. Hopefully I didn't just throw my money down the toilet.

Oh just torrent it with a clear conscience. You've done all you can.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
GOod point. Not that I have a moral issue with piracy, but I'll be putting the tools to use for a game potentially so wanna be legal

I can't even work out how to log into the Autodesk site

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Welp I got it working anyway, no idea why their emails take time to get to you. It's a nice wee program and once you've fiddled with it a bit the pens are really nice to use and some nice features too. The ruler things and especially the perspective things are great. The paint brushes are a bit disappointing though, as the brush loses it's paint it doesn't just not add paint to the canvas but it actually overwrites what is under it with the white "empty brush" colour.

Oh well. Anyway, I'm using this on Windows, and I wonder if you guys know how to turn off all the native Windows pen/touch stuff? The little keyboard on any text entry box, the ripples, the thing hanging off the screen to the left. I think it's safe to say I hate those things.

I am also really poo poo at using this. I think the whole disconnect between writing somewhere but looking somewhere fucks my brain up. I also am terribly unneat and untalented even with regular pen and paper so I don't know what I really expected. I had an interesting idea though, that sketchbook pro has a flip book animation feature. It would be good practice and perhaps interesting afterward to practice using tablet by drawing same image over and over but make it an animation, so the animation was a visual representation of improved skill. Or a depressing look into how poor my skill truly is.

e: much like this but not rushed or absolutely terrible (I just made this)

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 26, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
In the Wacom driver preferences, you can turn off Windows Ink on a per-app or global basis. This removes the ring, the delays, etc.

However, Sketchbook uses Windows Ink for its pressure sensitivity on certain versions of Windows, so you'll have to leave it on for that app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My laptop runs Windows 8 and just has a VGA output. Would a Cintiq 13HD be worth it? I'm not sure how good the display would be when run through a VGA to HDMI converter, and my problems getting my Intuos 1 to work on Win 8 have me worried about the driver situation as well.